• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

You know who I really blame for the Pats season last year? The Jets. For letting go of Revis in the first place, not signing him the FIRST time he was a free agent again and needed help at the CB position, instead letting him go to your divisional rival, only to come back in the end anyways. On top of that they had two opportunities to beat them in the regular season and blew both chances because lolGeno is your QB.

Jets you will receive all of my unbridled hate.

It was a nobrainer for Revis to come home, he loves us, and he is going to win us a championship:

"I think the biggest decision for me was to just come back home. I have a lot of history with the Jets' organization and I just felt like it was, you know, a no-brainer to come home, be back home and make a marriage."

"They drafted me and I have a lot of history here," said Revis, whose time in New York was tainted by two contract holdouts. "I love being around the people I met in the organization. I just have a lot of ties here. This is where my heart is."

"I told (Tannenbaum) I'd do everything in my power to try to bring a championship to this organization, and I still feel that way," he said. "That's something I want to be part of. The thing I want to bring to the organization is winning. That was one of the big reasons to come back home. I still have that mindset."

effzee

On Mike and Mike this morning they mentioned how Clayton is convinced Mariota is going to DC if he is there at pick 5. To me that makes zero sense. He has the same question marks about his play style as RG3. If they were to select another new QB, you would think it would be someone far more traditional.

And if you do select Mariota what happens with RG3?

All of this is if he falls and I am getting more and more convinced Mariota goes to Titans at 2. Locker retired and while they might like Mettenberger, you still need a QB on the roster to compete for the franchise role. I'm actually shocked that majority of mock drafts don't have Mariota going #2 to the Titans.

Peter King also tweeted this morning how their interest in him is very serious. I think it would add some much needed juice and energy into that franchise and city.

Okay that's weird because we literally just wondered where you went yesterday.

That's very nice.

I guess a combination of twice getting banned for 2 weeks within a period of 5 weeks made me less active in general.
Also, it's Free Agency, Browns almost never do anything interesting during this period. Come Superbowl time (read: The Draft) I should be more active again.

Matthew Stafford (Franchise QB, Pro Bowler)
Calvin Johnson (Hall of Famer)
Golden Tate III (Pro Bowler)
Larry Warford (Pro Bowler)
Joique Bell
Travis Swanson
Riley Reiff
Eric Ebron
Haloti Ngata (Hall of Famer?)
Ziggy Ansah
DeAndre Levy (Pro Bowler)
Stephen Tulloch
Darius Slay
Glover Quin (Pro Bowler)
Matt Praeter
#23 Pick
#56 Pick

Super Bowl or bust.

Restore the Roar.
dolphins3-12-15%20d%20epf.JPG

squicken

On Mike and Mike this morning they mentioned how Clayton is convinced Mariota is going to DC if he is there at pick 5. To me that makes zero sense. He has the same question marks about his play style as RG3. If they were to select another new QB, you would think it would be someone far more traditional.

All of this is if he falls and I am getting more and more convinced Mariota goes to Titans at 2. Locker retired and while they might like Mettenberger, you still need a QB on the roster to compete for the franchise role. I'm actually shocked that majority of mock drafts don't have Mariota going #2 to the Titans.

Peter King also tweeted this morning how their interest in him is very serious. I think it would add some much needed juice and energy into that franchise and city.

I get the sense there are problems beyond "spread QB" with RG3. That's sort of the thing with lumping the guys together. Manziel failed b/c he is a lazy drunk. RG3 isn't working out b/c he won't/can't learn to read a defense and has injury issues

Both of those guys showed the same issues in college. RG3 held the ball too long at Baylor and took a lot of big shots. He also had a knee injury in school. JFF was obviously a known party boy

I don't have a strong opinion on Mariota, but I'm also not willing to write off all spread QBs. It's hard for any QB to come in and do well. The league as whole just isn't developing good ones right now, from any collegiate background

effzee

I get the sense there are problems beyond "spread QB" with RG3. That's sort of the thing with lumping the guys together. Manziel failed b/c he is a lazy drunk. RG3 isn't working out b/c he won't/can't learn to read a defense and has injury issues

Both of those guys showed the same issues in college. RG3 held the ball too long at Baylor and took a lot of big shots. He also had a knee injury in school. JFF was obviously a known party boy

I don't have a strong opinion on Mariota, but I'm also not willing to write off all spread QBs. It's hard for any QB to come in and do well. The league as whole just isn't developing good ones right now, from any collegiate background

Fair enough and Mariota seems to have all the character traits on and off the field you would want so that might be the reason. Personally I still don't see it. To me while there might be locker room issues and or developmental issues with RG3, both play a similar game.

And if both QBs can't lead to wins, Gruden won't be back. I think if he risks his job on a new QB, he would want someome who doesn't have as many question marks about playing in a pro offense.

Gruden is going to tailor the offense to what makes Mariota work? When he couldn't or wouldn't for RG3?

Would DC be able to trade RG3?

In the end I think Mariota goes at 2. If he falls he only falls to 6 to the Jets. Geno then is either cut or demoted to 3rd string.

gutshot

tumblr-m0lc32f4jz1qzleedo1-500.gif

Never. Gruden wants a traditional pocket passer. He's not shitting all over RGIII just to take another RGIII.

gutshot

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/921864657866176

Pro-Bowl RB DeMarco Murray is flying to Philadelphia this morning with the expectation he will be an Eagle, per a league source.

Dallas has had numerous chances to resign Murray throughout the year and now.

Aside from the contract, the Eagles are most appealing to Murray because of his belief in their chance to win.

Murray would consider a final, last minute offer from the cowboys, per source, but he's going to Philadelphia with the intent to sign.

Is it just me or does this totally read like Murray's agent told Schefter to write up a post that would scare Dallas into giving him more money?

While I think Mariotta would be a bust too, I wouldn't directly compare the QBs. It's clear RG3 doesn't put in the study necessary to win at the pro level. He is also a dumbass who constantly puts his frail body at risk by refusing to slide/taking stupid hits. Finally there's the leadership issue; fair or not his teammates don't seem to respect him, and he seems unable or unwilling to change that.

By all accounts Mariotta is a smart guy; whether that translates to "football study smart" remains to be seen. The bigger thing is that I don't believe he has a diva personality. I agree it would be a mistake to draft him but not for the same reasons RG3 was a mistake.

gutshot

Ryan Mathews is apparently at NovaCare but hasn't yet officially signed his contract. Murray is on his way there with the intent to sign. This is crazy.

Fox318

I'm missing something.

People think the jets signing Revis was a bad move?

Because of Idzik the Jets had to spend the money because of the 89 percent rule.

Idzik put the team in a position where they had to sign talent. They had to spend money or trade for a huge contract like Brees

effzee

While I think Mariotta would be a bust too, I wouldn't directly compare the QBs. It's clear RG3 doesn't put in the study necessary to win at the pro level. He is also a dumbass who constantly puts his frail body at risk by refusing to slide/taking stupid hits. Finally there's the leadership issue; fair or not his teammates don't seem to respect him, and he seems unable or unwilling to change that.

By all accounts Mariotta is a smart guy; whether that translates to "football study smart" remains to be seen. The bigger thing is that I don't believe he has a diva personality. I agree it would be a mistake to draft him but not for the same reasons RG3 was a mistake.

This might be just my weird interpretation but I do think RG3 puts in the work. He just might not be able to translate it onto the field. He doesn't seem lazy nor did he have any question marks coming out of college about his character. I think people just assume because he hasn't lived upto the hype that he must be this or that. A lot of great college players who we all assume will light the league up never pan out. Doesn't mean they don't try.

I always found it bothersome when such a label is attached so quickly. Cousins was also supposed to be good and a lot of people thought was better than RG3 from Day 1. He hasn't worked out but I never see any labels of being lazy or not smart enough to grasp the defenses or make reads attached to him.

I do think he needs a change and a new team/city to try to salvage his career. Weird dynamic in DC where the coach hates him and the owner loves him.

Bowser

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 6m6 minutes ago
Members of DeMarco Murray's inner circle are headed to Philly, which tells you where this situation is going.

effzee

Does Mathews sign if Murray signs?

I hope not. I didn't even want Ryan Mathews or Murray. Too much money invested in a position and on guys up there in age with tons of wear and tear on their bodies. Especially whenMcCoy was traded for the same damn reasons.

I'd much rather go with Sproles and a rookie RB. Use the available cap space to sign a safety and depth for corner and OLine. Hell we still need a starting Guard to replace Todd Heremans

effzee

Whatever. Like I said I'm lost on what any of this means now.

Welcome Murray I guess.

Wasn't Murray also a scumbag who cheated by sleeping with his best buds wife? Why would Bradford want to take that risk???!!!

Top Bottom