• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Kal_El

Huge Chicago Bears fan here, Happy with most moves so far. Just wondering what we are going to do with the 2 DT we drafted last year moving to a 3-4. I really hope we get Beasley or Fowler in the draft. I have my doubts about Ray. Shelton might even be a better move.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jeff Fisher saying he had an offer for a 1st for Bradford but would rather have Foles than that pick.

Thats like a double victory for JABEE.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Are you under the impression that signing UFAs is the only way to add players to a team?

No, I am however of the belief that the market had some decent options, and they've all but dried up, forcing the pats hand into trading for a corner. Their chances are dwindling at this point, but I'm hoping for the best.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not worth it unless he's cheap, <$4M

He will be significantly less than that. I didn't get to watch Helu much, but I was more interested in him than Bush. Bush can be electric, but he's getting up there in age, and he struggles with injuries, and from what I hear pass protection is an issue as well.

Colasante

No, I am however of the belief that the market had some decent options, and they've all but dried up, forcing the pats hand into trading for a corner. Their chances are dwindling at this point, but I'm hoping for the best.

The Patriots play the market. Cornerbacks are making $7M+ APY on the open market, being paid of out whack, incommensurate with their level of talent. Brandon Flowers isn't a $9M CB. Byron Maxwell isn't a $10.5M CB. Antonio Cromartie isn't an $8M CB. Cary Williams isn't a $7M CB. It is what it is. There are cheaper options, there is the draft, there are UDFAs, there are roster cutdowns, and there are trades. Super Bowls are not won or lost on March 13th.

spyder_ur

He will be significantly less than that. I didn't get to watch Helu much, but I was more interested in him than Bush. Bush can be electric, but he's getting up there in age, and he struggles with injuries, and from what I hear pass protection is an issue as well.

I would love Bush on the team, especially on the cheap. I think he'd be killer and he's a better runner out of the backfield than Vereen.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I would love Bush on the team, especially on the cheap. I think he'd be killer and he's a better runner out of the backfield than Vereen.

As a dolphins fan I do not want Bush to go to NE; I'm surprised Jaguars haven't thought about grabbing him on the cheap as a weapon for Bortles.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The Patriots play the market. Cornerbacks are making $7M+ APY on the open market, being paid of out whack, incommensurate with their level of talent. Brandon Flowers isn't a $9M CB. Byron Maxwell isn't a $10.5M CB. Antonio Cromartie isn't an $8M CB. Cary Williams isn't a $7M CB. It is what it is. There are cheaper options, there is the draft, there are UDFAs, there are roster cutdowns, and there are trades. Super Bowls are not won or lost on March 13th.

When was the last time the patriots drafted a decent corner? I think Flowers deal wasn't bad at all. If we're relying on the draft or cuts, there will be a serious problem in the secondary. Seasons aren't won on march 13th, however, no matter how much Kool-aid you drink (and you seem to have had a lot), you need talent on the roster.

As of right now, Arrington/Ryan/Dennard/Butler is the unit they'll be trotting out there. Can that change? Absolutely! But as the options dry up, I lose faith, because they've done it before, and it's the "patriot way"

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I agree with this. I've said this before, but given the pre-draft stock on vereen I pictured him as a beefier danny woodhead. A guy who can lineup anywhere on the field and be competent, and a guy who could have a huge impact in the screen game. Don't get me wrong Vereen was great, very clutch, for the most part sure handed... however his running really wasn't any more effective than Danny, slightly better. Bush in the hurry up could do some damage, it'll be especially helpful in the play action.

spyder_ur

Bingo. This is a pretty typical move on their part. Corners are becoming way overvalued on the open market based primarily on the success of the last two SB champions. And I think the Pats once again are reading this trend. I expect to see another pass rusher signed as well as that is clearly a better place to spend money right now.

Now I have to admit they are trying my patience a bit but someone will become available.

ampere

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Why drop Vereen and pay someone a similar amount who has more risk?

Cheap and sure it's fine, but I wonder if we cut Ridley. I think it should happen.

Colasante

When was the last time the patriots drafted a decent corner? I think Flowers deal wasn't bad at all. If we're relying on the draft or cuts, there will be a serious problem in the secondary. Seasons aren't won on march 13th, however, no matter how much Kool-aid you drink (and you seem to have had a lot), you need talent on the roster.

As of right now, Arrington/Ryan/Dennard/Butler is the unit they'll be trotting out there. Can that change? Absolutely! But as the options dry up, I lose faith, because they've done it before, and it's the "patriot way"

I'm not drinking Kool Aid, I'm just not overly reactionary. It's MARCH. The games don't start until SEPTEMBER. How do you not understand this? You were just bitching about the Dolphins giving the season away by getting rid of Tannehill's weapons then, oh wow, they traded for Kenny Stills and signed Jordan Cameron. I guess they realized the season doesn't end 2 days into free agency, which you can't seem to grasp.

spyder_ur

I agree with this. I've said this before, but given the pre-draft stock on vereen I pictured him as a beefier danny woodhead. A guy who can lineup anywhere on the field and be competent, and a guy who could have a huge impact in the screen game. Don't get me wrong Vereen was great, very clutch, for the most part sure handed... however his running really wasn't any more effective than Danny, slightly better. Bush in the hurry up could do some damage, it'll be especially helpful in the play action.

Yeah, Vereen never impressed me as a runner; though he wasn't terrible I'm not even sure he was any better than Woodhead. Never seemed to break long runs as I figured he would. Bush has come a long way in that regard the last 4-5 years.

Respect

373715_225914994132733_1887393995_n.jpg

tmdorsey

Yeah. I went to Georgia and worked with the AD office some when i was working on the Ga Bulldog Radio Network. I'm still somewhat close to a lot of the guys that were there in the early 00s and i eat, breathe, and dream georgia football. Gurley is the best college RB i've seen in at least 10 years with the possible exception of AP. If he's there I think Dallas should grab him.

Falcons-GAF,

Am I crazy for thinking if Gurley is there in the 2nd we might want to take him?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ridley's a free agent.

I'm not drinking Kool Aid, I'm just not overly reactionary. It's MARCH. The games don't start until SEPTEMBER. How do you not understand this? You were just bitching about the Dolphins giving the season away by getting rid of Tannehill's weapons then, oh wow, they traded for Kenny Stills and signed Jordan Cameron. I guess they realized the season doesn't end 2 days into free agency, which you can't seem to grasp.

I've said this before, I was judging the AFCE based on what had been done. Admiditly I don't know the dolphins cap situation, I didn't think they could afford to bring on all the guys they have since then- Cameron and rumblings they're bringing clay back, and now stills. With Suh and Wallace on massive contracts, how can they afford to keep their young talent? Doesn't tannehill need a contract soon? That being said they're stacked now and I changed my rankings accordingly.

Am I reactionary? Hell yes, never said I wasn't. Am I concerned right now? Hell yes. Do you need to respond? NOPE. The market is dry now. Is there a trade partner? Definitely possible, but it's less likely as the days go on, period. You know why the dolphins have improved? Because they went out and got free agents, AND utilized a trade. Pats are getting down to a point where they won't be able to utilize FA to beef up their decimated secondary, I really don't understand why they've handled it the way they have.

ampere

Ridley's a free agent.

Ah, right. Not thinking he's worth resigning then. Bad ball control

Yeah, Vereen never impressed me as a runner; though he wasn't terrible I'm not even sure he was any better than Woodhead. Never seemed to break long runs as I figured he would. Bush has come a long way in that regard the last 4-5 years.

Vereen's real strength was his slot receiving. Agree he was no explosive or super impressive runner

squicken

Why didn't we get Fairley at that price? Seems like a missed opportunity.

Fairley know he will look good playing next to all those other guys. He's down to 280 and needs to add weight. I think he will be really motivated this year so he can get his megadeal next offseason

Top Bottom