• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

JABEE

Yo but why nobody else retiring except for our fucking players. I bet they all just have broken hearts over harbs like me

Gb1xaWZ.gif

LevelNth

Banned
It's a shame cause he was going to be a stud. Nevertheless at least Bowman and Wilhoite are better than last year. Big draft coming up for Baalke!

Thorakai

All these surprise retirements has me half wondering if there's something toxic in the organization that these guys are trying to get away from.

Well the NFL did try to systematically hide the evidence between football and CTE with bribes and threats. I think a concern about long-term health is a valid, standalone reason to leave. Especially with all the info that has come to light about concussions.

Sanjuro

I was honored to be the one to break the news to FMT via text.

FMT. While staking out his wife's lover, receives the worst text message he has ever received from a video game forum.

*pulls into the Burger King drive through shortly after*

So we're all in agreement that no matter what Chip does between now and August, there's no possible way the Eagles could have a worse offseason than the Niners right?

JABEE

I wonder what the league's response to this news will be. Is there really anything they can do? Their sport is inherently dangerous. The risk of brain damage and brain degeneration are inherent to the game of football. How transparent can the league be about this?

They seem to have done a lot to distance themselves from that reality.

JABEE

Well the NFL did try to systematically hide the evidence between football and CTE with bribes and threats. I think a concern about long-term health is a valid, standalone reason to leave. Especially with all the info that has come to light about concussions.

This is a real problem for the NFL. They look dirty, because they are dirty.

Sanjuro

I wonder what the league's response to this news will be. Is there really anything they can do? Their sport is inherently dangerous. The risk of brain damage and brain degeneration are inherent to the game of football. How transparent can the league be about this?

6i5RbhN.gif

BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

The decision to retire had nothing to do with the 49ers, Borland said. He said that his feelings toward the team and his teammates marked one of the hardest aspects of the decision.

"It's an incredible organization, and they truly looked out for players' best interests," he said.

Borland is the fourth NFL player age 30 or younger to announce his retirement in the past week. Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds, 27, said he retired "after much thought and consideration" to pursue "other interests." Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker, 26, said he left the game because he no longer had "the burning desire necessary to play the game for a living."

my madden team is especially fucked next year!

cdyhybrid

They probably pretend it never happened and hope no one brings it up.

"Higher than normal retirement rates due to brain condition concerns? Hmm, we didn't notice anything!"

4HyEPkR.gif

Draxal

Soccer players actually do get a lot of concussions from heading the ball.

And goalies frequently get knocked the fuck out.

Tennis and golf is where we have to go.

It's alot of elbows and shit too. Borland has had 2 concussions ... one from playing soccer as an eight grader.

ShaneB

Time for an update league wide....

Cut some eye holes in these babies and away we go.

ostrich-pillow-bean-bag-head.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Soccer players actually do get a lot of concussions from heading the ball.

And goalies frequently get knocked the fuck out.

Tennis and golf is where we have to go.

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 5m5 minutes ago

Chris Borland said he had just 2 diagnosed concussions: 8th grade - playing soccer Soph yr of HS - playing football.

JABEE

I think the scary thing about CTE is that it's not only about being diagnosed with concussions. It's the cumulative impact of hitting your helmet against players for an entire career.

Offensive line mans may not have major impacts to the head that cause concussions, but every play their helmet slams and bounces off a defensive lineman or line backers body/helmet. Those impacts and jolts add up.

eznark

Banned
Yes FMT, Borland's master plan was to get drafted, make $400k, then walk away from tens of millions.

Well NHL sure ain't going to light the country on fire, and fuck baseball and basketball.

MLS almost is matching the International League for attendance! It's on the up and up!

Top Bottom