• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

People giving this guy shit are the same people who would be saying, "he knew the risks and made millions" if he ended his career with a long lasting brain/body damage.

Good for him.

Sanjuro

I really don't understand why the NHL isn't more popular.

Because it hasn't been on a major national broadcast in over a decade now. Bettman is a fucking idiot.

He took hockey off the most popular sports network on the planet and took teams out of some of the most supporting cities.

Grexeno

Also holy shit at the fall of the Niners. This is curse-level stuff. Jed York is pretty clearly a complete control freak. The Niners won't even have a GM position in 5 years.

People giving this guy shit are the same people who would be saying, "he knew the risks and made millions" if he ended his career with a long lasting brain/body damage.

Good for him.

i just don't understand why he went to the NFL at all or played college football. the information has been out there for a while

MechDX

If he wants to retire and avoid the risk good for him. Someone needs to tell Welker he needs to retire.

Is odd though all these early retirees are all from the same team.

DopeToast

Banned
I played against Chris Borland in high school. We play his team, Alter, every year. I think he was a senior when I was a sophomore. Dude was good. Sad to see these CTE scares continue to be a reality. I hope he stays happy and healthy.

ampere

Problem with CTE and football is that no matter what type of helmet the players wear, your brain will still bounce around your skull after a big impact. You'd have to inject shit into the skull to soften that and um, yea. Good luck with that

It's shitty because the sport is really intense and fun to watch, but it's just inherently dangerous as shit. Plus joint damage and fractures, etc.

Also holy shit at the fall of the Niners. This is curse-level stuff. Jed York is pretty clearly a complete control freak. The Niners won't even have a GM position in 5 years.

How is Jed's BFF being GM any different? He already has a yes man.

Thorakai

i just don't understand why he went to the NFL at all or played college football. the information has been out there for a while

Sometimes its hard to make a big change in trajectory when you already invested so much time in playing. I mean its bad enough a lot of us still watch and support football despite knowing the risks, but to a player that is trying to make a livelihood out of this? Real difficult. There is also the "that won't happen to me" mindset, especially since CTE is something that builds over time.

The 49ers might not be great next year, but I don't expect the defense to fall off that much. They've been top 5 for years now and haven't lost that many crucial pieces, and then you got young guys like Reid, Borland, and Lynch coming up strong. Not to mention Willis, Aldon Smith, and Bowman coming back at 100%

l41lKrLGu3iaru85G.gif

Arc

It kills me knowing that this sport that I love so much will be a shell of its former self in 10 years.

There will always be people who will trade their long term health for the experiences and money, but there will be fewer and fewer. Not to mention fewer and fewer parents who let their kids play football.

That being said, I respect these early retirees a lot. That's a tough decision to make.

The score of an actual NBA game in the third quarter tonight

CARDfk9UYAAVPwK.jpg

ray-j-gif.gif%3Fw%3D300%26h%3D231

I was in Charlotte Friday night, watching my first game in person since the re-franchising. It was fun enough and they managed to come back and beat the Bulls, but I couldn't shake the feeling that under all the fancy new presentation, the teal and purple veneer was just a facade.

I remember watching the actual Hornets in the old Charlotte Coliseum when I was a wee lad. That was a basketball team.

These guys wearing the jerseys now? They're the same old JeffreyCats.

Pepiope

It kills me knowing that this sport that I love so much will be a shell of its former self in 10 years.

There will always be people who will trade their long term health for the experiences and money, but there will be fewer and fewer. Not to mention fewer and fewer parents who let their kids play football.

That being said, I respect these early retirees a lot. That's a tough decision to make.
Well, football (soccer) is on the rise.

rando14

CARDfk9UYAAVPwK.jpg

I was in Charlotte Friday night, watching my first game in person since the re-franchising. It was fun enough and they managed to come back and beat the Bulls, but I couldn't shake the feeling that under all the fancy new presentation, the teal and purple veneer was just a facade.

I remember watching the actual Hornets in the old Charlotte Coliseum when I was a wee lad. That was a basketball team.

When you're feeling down, remember this: "At least I have a team!!"

Doomsayer

This is just a bad dream, right guys?

At least we have Willis! Oh... wait.

At least we have Bowman! Oh...wait.

At least we have Fangio!

:(

LJ11

If you start playing football in HS, like Borland did, it's new, so it's easy so to see why he wanted to play college ball. Guess once he had 6-7 years of football in him he had enough. Guy is done with the sport entirely, doubt he'd want to coach a sport that can turn you into a vegetable.

Fox318

CARDfk9UYAAVPwK.jpg

4GJyRe4.jpg

CARDfk9UYAAVPwK.jpg

At least it's not the lakers

#progress

I'm sure a part of it is these players seeing the writing on the wall with the Niners.

Being at peace with dementia is one thing but risking it toiling away on a declining team?

wouldn't players from the raiders, browns, bills, etc. retire all the time if it was an issue with the quality of the team?

p.s.

i honestly expect bowman to retire this offseason at some point. i dont think he'll ever play football again

LJ11

One thing that struck me as strange in the MLS thread is how star football players not getting harassed in the US when they come over for retirement is a plus. Sure it's a plus, but they're not harassed because no one knows who the fuck they are. Lets see Lebron walk down the street without getting everyone rushing his way.

Until we start producing home grown talent, which may be about a generation away, then what's the point of bringing up soccer/football. I love watching the world cup, I like watching when the best talent in the world is on display. MLS....get the fuck out of here.

cdyhybrid

One thing that struck me as strange in the MLS thread is how star football players not getting harassed in the US when they come over for retirement is a plus. Sure it's a plus, but they're not harassed because no one knows who the fuck they are. Lets see Lebron walk down the street without getting everyone rushing his way.

Until we start producing home grown talent, which may be about a generation away, then what's the point of bringing up soccer/football. I love watching the world cup, I like watching when the best talent in the world is on display. MLS....get the fuck out of here.

Plus if the MLS does get as huge as people hope, those guys will no longer be able to go out in public unnoticed. It's nice for the guys playing right now, but it's not something you can point to as a long-term perk of the league.

Top Bottom