• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

LevelNth

Banned
I mean that's fair but the risk was always there. And the game is safer now than ever before. Will continue to be so too.

I have a son who just turned 1. I don't know what I'll do but I feel like people are overreacting to Borland and few other retirements.

First Willis and Worilds retired cause of their desire to pursue a career/life in religion. Not injury related. Justin Smith was at the end anyway. MJD hit the RB wall and then fell off the cliff.
This was internet nonsense conjecture. This is what he is likely to do, but in his press conference he specifically said it's because of his feet and the injuries he's sustained.

BigAT

Real question, what percentage of parents stopping their kids from playing football would it take to have an actual effect on fan viewership?

Let's say over the next 10 years, the talent level in the NFL dropped by 20% as a result of health concerns from both parents and players. Would you stop watching the NFL as a result? Would you even realize the shift? It's not like parents not wanting their children to play football is an entirely new thing. My parents didn't let me play organized football growing up and that was 20+ years ago. Does even a large reduction in football players matter if there is still a huge population pool that is absolutely desperate to play in the NFL?

effzee

This was internet nonsense conjecture. This is what he is likely to do, but in his press conference he specifically said it's because of his feet and the injuries he's sustained.

Didn't know. Still he isn't retiring cause of concern of CTE unless I missed it.

Chronic knee, feet, or ligament injuries still is different to me than CTE related retirements.

If Bradford suffers another ACL tear and calls it quit it would be completely different than Borland retiring after 1 season.

Fox318

Real question, what percentage of parents stopping their kids from playing football would it take to have an actual effect on fan viewership?

Let's say over the next 10 years, the talent level in the NFL dropped by 20% as a result of health concerns from both parents and players. Would you stop watching the NFL as a result? Would you even realize the shift? It's not like parents not wanting their children to play football is an entirely new thing. My parents didn't let me play organized football growing up and that was 20+ years ago. Does even a large reduction in football players matter if there is still a huge population pool that is absolutely desperate to play in the NFL?

my father never let me play football because of health concerns.

I think he also knew at my size I probably would have been a RB or a safety.

LevelNth

Banned
There are 500 young men out there to every 1 Borland. There is a severe shortage of NFL jobs. This retirement won't impact the NFL at all, even in the slightest.

CTE is still relatively new as a health concern, but like all health concerns the fear and anxiety over it will level off once we have more info.

effzee

Niners the Eagles will trade last year's first round pick and outstanding prospect LB Marcus Smith to you for Kaepernick.

Who says no?

Fox318

There are 500 young men out there to every 1 Borland. There is a severe shortage of NFL jobs. This retirement won't impact the NFL at all, even in the slightest.

but with 0 money up front for most of the kids and you have to play with 0 salary in college.

not to mention on defense the prospect of being fined thousands just for playing the way they were taught and how coaches want them.

Plus most of the kids will get cut in a year or 2.

For every guy who makes it their are hundreds of guys who don't make it and are left footing the bill for their health care.

eznark

Banned

How many more will it take til the feds decide "something must be done for the children!!!!!"

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

It's an interesting question and one I've thought of. When "League in Denial" and all the information about concussions came up negative attention came to not just the NFL but the sport itself. There has been a decline in Youth Football membership but ratings continue to increase. At the end of the day most humans enjoy seeing violence and that's why sports like boxing and football will always thrive. In poorer areas these sports will continue to thrive.

It'll be interesting to see what approach the NFL takes to poorer countries like Cambodia and Albania as it inevitably expands worldwide.

I love football almost as much as anything else in the world but if I ever have kids I would rather them play other sports.

CTE is still relatively new as a health concern, but like all health concerns the fear and anxiety over it will level off once we have more info.

We'll see some advancements in brain research, but CTE is real and probably one of the worst ways to go out. Who knows when we'll we will see those advancements but until then we'll watch former football players of all ranks literally lose their heads.

You guys ready for some fun history?

Everyone always talks about building through the draft and I was thinking about how long it's been since the Dolphins went out and drafted a guy who could legitimately become a #1 WR. Well, I dug into the draft history and I was right, it's not pretty. Some highlights:

2014 - 2nd round, Jarvis Landry - I'm not really counting him because he's a slot guy all the way.

2007 - 1st round, Tedd Ginn Jr. - Fuck me.

2001 - 2nd round, Chris Chambers - Yep, this is the last time the Dolphins actually drafted a #1 WR who produced. Two thousand and fucking one.

1997 - 1st round, Yatil Green - Anyone remember Yatil Green? Anybody? The 15th pick in the 1997 draft?

On the very first day of training camp, Green tore his quadriceps muscles, anterior cruciate ligament and cartilage in his right knee. Green came back the next year and again tore the same ACL in training camp. In his third and only season playing, 1999, he played in 9 games catching 18 receptions for 234 yards and no touchdowns. After three years and a total of 10 surgeries on his right knee, he was cut by the Dolphins after the 1999 year was and signed by the New York Jets, but never played a down and was cut during the season. After missing the entire 2000 season, he signed with the Oakland Raiders in 2001 but was cut during preseason.

1993 - 1st round, O.J. McDuffie - O.J. was my boy, loved this dude.

So there you go, that's the Dolphins history using high draft picks on WR's in the past 20+ years. The level of consistent incompetence is impressive in a way. Yet for some reason, after all this I am hoping they land a stud #1 WR in this year's draft. When will I learn?

Fox318

You guys ready for some fun history?

Everyone always talks about building through the draft and I was thinking about how long it's been since the Dolphins went out and drafted a guy who could legitimately become a #1 WR. Well, I dug into the draft history and I was right, it's not pretty. Some highlights:

2014 - 2nd round, Jarvis Landry - I'm not really counting him because he's a slot guy all the way.

2007 - 1st round, Tedd Ginn Jr. - Fuck me.

2001 - 2nd round, Chris Chambers - Yep, this is the last time the Dolphins actually drafted a #1 WR who produced. Two thousand and fucking one.

1997 - 1st round, Yatil Green - Anyone remember Yatil Green? Anybody? The 15th pick in the 1997 draft?

1993 - 1st round, O.J. McDuffie - O.J. was my boy, loved this dude.

So there you go, that's the Dolphins history using high draft picks on WR's in the past 20+ years. The level of consistent incompetence is impressive in a way. Yet for some reason, after all this I am hoping they land a stud #1 WR in this year's draft. When will I learn?
tanny is a boom or bust gm

he will draft stars or all time busts

Seanspeed

Banned
sdhit.0.gif

Why did you have to let him go, Bill?! I don't get it.
The guy had skill and his size was nice, but you cant deny he wasn't a massive liability and a flag magnet.

I'm honestly not that devastated to see him go. The amount of 1st downs he gave up was infuriating at times and refs *know* to keep an eye on him.

Respect

I was hoping them letting go of Browner was a sign they were trying to make a push for Revis, but it is obvious now they let Browner go because they had given up on signing Revis. I assume zone will be the preferred coverage next year unless Bill has a big trade in store for an elite corner....which I highly doubt. You don't keep Browner around for zone coverage schemes. He is a physical corner that you use to play man to man.

JaMarco

Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 6s6 seconds ago
Stevie Johnson will sign with Chargers per sources.

Saw that coming :/
Crabtree the only decent option now.

bionic77

Its not going to make a big difference.

McDonalds is fucking horrible for your kids and so are soda and a bunch of other things, but business is booming for those fuckers. iPhones and television for kids at a young can lead to development issues (i.e. make your kid dumb like Gata), but I see most kids are glued to that shit from age 1. Just because something is bad for you doesn't mean it will stop people from doing it.

Educated parents will probably hesitate but poor families, especially from football strong states, are still going to hope that their kid is going to be the star qb and lead the high school to a state title.

Also, don't forget the allure of pussy. I am getting old but I doubt that part of football has changed. I was varsity in tennis as a freshman and we collected way more hardware than the football team (individually and as a team), but being good at tennis never got me a date with anyone (other than from the girls tennis team). I am sure that is still the same. Being a football player in school is going to get you laid and that is going to ensure a lot of young kids keep playing it for a long time.

You don't believe Landry or Stills can be a legit #1WR?
Nope. Landry has the potential to be a top 5 slot WR but he is too small and lacking in top end speed to thrive outside the numbers. Who knows, maybe they will try to play him outside but he seems like a much more natural fit doing damage over the middle of the field running short to intermediate routes.

Stills has more potential as an outside guy but he is a burner first and foremost, kind of like Mike Wallace. I don't see him developing the route running skills needed to be a top outside threat and he's also on the smaller side.

The Dolphins need a prototypical #1 WR. A big, fast guy who can do it all. You aren't going to get that unless you invest a first round pick. DeVante Parker is a tall, physical receiver who excels at high-pointing the ball and making big time catches. He's the kind of guy you want playing outside the numbers, in my opinion.

EDIT: Then again, Antonio Brown ran a 4.47, is only 5'10", and was drafted in the sixth round so what the hell do I know!

bionic77

People in the FF15 thread going nucking futs that people posted "spoilers" that there's... a summon in the demo? <_<
Just saw that summon.

That looked amazing.

I am going to download this demo tonight so I can see the title screen :)lol @ having the time to play it).

Nope. Landry has the potential to be a top 5 slot WR but he is too small and lacking in top end speed to thrive outside the numbers. Who knows, maybe they will try to play him outside but he seems like a much more natural fit doing damage over the middle of the field running short to intermediate routes.

Stills has more potential as an outside guy but he is a burner first and foremost, kind of like Mike Wallace. I don't see him developing the route running skills needed to be a top outside threat and he's also on the smaller side.

The Dolphins need a prototypical #1 WR. A big, fast guy who can do it all. You aren't going to get that unless you invest a first round pick. DeVante Parker is a tall, physical receiver who excels at high-pointing the ball and making big time catches. He's the kind of guy you want playing outside the numbers, in my opinion.

EDIT: Then again, Antonio Brown ran a 4.47, is only 5'10", and was drafted in the sixth round so what the hell do I know!

Tannenbaum seems to be very aggressive, I wouldn't be surprised if he went with offensive talent in the first round, they really need to address the defense though.

Tannenbaum seems to be very aggressive, I wouldn't be surprised if he went with offensive talent in the first round, they really need to address the defense though.
Maybe this line of thinking is too traditional and doesn't really apply to a Lazor offense but I just hate the idea of not having a legitimate #1 WR on the roster. I always think back to Tannehill's rookie season when Hartline was his biggest target...

You are right about the defense having a ton of holes, though.

Maybe this line of thinking is too traditional and doesn't really apply to a Lazor offense but I just hate the idea of not having a legitimate #1 WR on the roster. I always think back to Tannehill's rookie season when Hartline was his biggest target...

You are right about the defense having a ton of holes, though.

no you're right Tannehill does need a big WR, especially for the end zone. I wouldn't be against drafting one in the first but defense was by far the biggest weakness last year and outside of Suh they haven't done anything to address it other then let our shitty LBs walk. From what I've read Hickey is still doing GM work and Tannenbaum handles the negotiations so I hope Hickey continues the good work he's done so far. We also can't forget about picking up a guard or two.

FTF

Dianna Marie Russini &#8207;@NBCdianna 6s6 seconds ago
Stevie Johnson will sign with Chargers per sources.

Saw that coming :/
Crabtree the only decent option now.

No thanks, I'd rather the Pats roll with their current offense than sign Crabtree.

bionic77

Here brother I will save you the trouble!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7irn-e7llQ&feature=youtu.be

Music is hot fire

Just hope the game is more than a pretty face!! I swear if I get burned again Square...!!
Yup.

That was amazing.

It is times like this I wish I was a kid again with no job who had all day to play video games and eat shitty fast food while listening to rock and roll music on my sony discman!

Rando, by the way how many doctors in med school play video games? I have a pal who is a plastic surgeon who is really into them but most doctors I know don't have any energy after work and just kind of lay there and watch their kids and wife spend all their hard earned money (I am familiar with this style of living...).

Top Bottom