• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

gutshot

Tell me more about this Jake FIsher. Are you talking about at pick 20?

Even with Todd gone Chip should be fired for thinking of drafting a guard at 20 when they have 5 more major needs.

Well, he's from Oregon. So that right there is a huge plus in Chip's book. He's big (6'6", 303lbs) and athletic (was a top performer in most drills at the Combine). He's primarily a tackle but can also play guard. Here's NFL.com's scouting report on him:

STRENGTHS Former tight end who moves easily and naturally. Good initial quickness to reach cross-face blocks. Finisher in zone game. Can sustain blocks with proper hip roll and balance through contact. Keeps base wide and uses choppy, controlled steps in pass sets. Mirrors well and has feet to shut down stunts inside. Well-timed and effortless transition from initial block to second-level assignment. Adjusts with good change of direction. Fights back with resolution after losing a rep to defender. Understands how to create leverage advantages with angles and footwork.

WEAKNESSES One of the most penalized tackles in 2015 draft class over last two seasons, including six holding calls during 2014 season. Needs angles to get consistent push in run game. Lacks power. Allows outside hand to get wide in pass pro, opening himself up to bull rush. Catches pass rusher rather than punching. Not much pop in his hands. Inconsistent feet as a run blocker, slowing feet at contact against power. Missed part of 2014 with a leg injury. Needs weight-room work to add more bulk to his frame. Needs to improve his contact balance against power.

BOTTOM LINE If you are a zone-based team looking for an athletic, well-schooled tackle who can come in and compete for a starting position right away, then Fisher is your guy. He has the feet to play the left side and is savvy enough in the run game to man the right side. He needs more weight on his frame, but guard is also an option for Fisher.

His weaknesses are mostly correctable and I have no doubt Stoutland can correct them. He's projected to go in the 2nd round and that is where I expect the Eagles would take him, although they may have to move up a few spots to ensure they get him.

My dream off season (Draft and FA combined) :

1. Restructure McCoy and keep him on the team
2. Resign Maclin and B. Graham
3. Cut Riley Cooper
4. SIgn Maxwell and Worilds
5. Draft Mariota or stay put and take Landon Collins or Marcus Peters.

My list looks very similar. I don't think they will cut Cooper, but I wouldn't necessarily have a problem if they did. I've also come around to drafting the best available edge rusher or corner at 20 and then taking Hundley or Petty or some other developmental shotgun-spread QB in a later round. Roll with Foles for one more year and if he still shows inconsistency, bring in the new kid. I love, love, love Mariota and think he would tear it up with this offense, but I don't want to give away the farm for him. I'd rather find the next Russell Wilson then mortgage the future for Mariota. Unless the Raiders or some other team is just going to give away their pick in a no-brainer deal, then I wouldn't do it.

Eh, I don't feel strongly enough about that to make that argument. Thanks anyway.
So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-A-Chance-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Deacon is a believer. :')

Man, I really don't know. I can see pros and cons either way. On the one hand he had a disappointing 2014 thanks to injuries and he is never going to be a big redzone TE threat but on the other hand he can be very explosive and he and Tannehill have shown great chemistry. What bothers me most with Clay is his lack of consistency.

I think they let him test the market and try to bring him back on the cheap. I honestly have no idea what kind of interest he would get from other teams.

I doubt we will, seems like they are revamping the whole unit, it'll be Landry and a bunch of rookies next year :/

gutshot

Welp, now that I've come around to not getting Mariota, it sounds like the Eagles are going to go all-in and get him. From Jimmy Kempski, aka the guy who broke the DeSean news last year:

Every day, with little things I hear, evidence continues to build that the Eagles are going to make a strong play for Marcus Mariota. To note, this is something I had previously thought to be unrealistic, so as bits of information have trickled in, they've been absorbed on my end with skepticism. But it appears the Eagles are determined to get their guy.

Butt-covering disclaimer: Of course, definitively forecasting something like this is a lot different than, oh, saying the Eagles were moving on from DeSean Jackson. That was something that was completely within the Eagles' control, and thus, much easier to definitively report. Forecasting an Eagles trade that would land them Mariota is extremely difficult, considering the high number of variables and other teams involved. In other words, while the Eagles want Mariota and seem determined to make it happen, this is not a slam dunk.

Kempski has gone so far as to say he thinks the Eagles will trade up to no. 1 prior to the draft.

@JimmyKempski
Becoming more and more convinced daily that the Eagles are trading up to #1 prior to the draft.

Chip putting all his eggs in Mariota's basket. I shudder at what we are going to have to give up to get the no. 1 pick.

But... fuck it... I'M IN!

#MariotaOrBust

Welp, now that I've come around to not getting Mariota, it sounds like the Eagles are going to go all-in and get him. From Jimmy Kempski, aka the guy who broke the DeSean news last year:

Kempski has gone so far as to say he thinks the Eagles will trade up to no. 1 prior to the draft.

Chip putting all his eggs in Mariota's basket. I shudder at what we are going to have to give up to get the no. 1 pick.

But... fuck it... I'M IN!

#MariotaOrBust

I dunno if they have to give up more than the first two picks for the next two years I am not really a fan. In general I don't think they should move up to #1 for him, the price would be too high. If he's there at 5-6 then deal for him, but I wouldn't do anything other than that. It's not the end of the world though, if Chip is around as long as Reid was, getting him a franchise QB to fit the system he wants isn't going to be bad for the team.

bionic77

College nerds is Mariota that much of a sure thing?

Kelly has done good things with trash for qb so I wonder what he could do with an elite qb. I just wonder if Mariota is elite.

Also wonder how much more Shady has in his tank. He doesn't seem to take a lot of big hits so I would guess he will have a longer career than most RBs.

gutshot

More fuel for the fire...

A lot of autographed Nick Foles merchandise was on sale on the Eagles website yesterday. http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...ographed-merchandise-sale-eagles-online-store

It turns out that the Philadelphia Eagles' online store has a total of 341 items on sale. Of those 341 items, 64 are player-specific. Of those 64, 62 feature Nick Foles. Michael Vick and Matt Barkley make up the other two. Further, there are a total of 106 Foles items on the online store. More of those items are on sale (62) than not (44).

Now does this actually mean anything? I don't know. But it wouldn't be the first time the Eagles online store gave a hint about the team's moves. Back in the summer of 2011 the team store accidentally featured a Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie jersey before the Eagles had officially acquired him from the Arizona Cardinals. Brian Solomon of McNabbOrKolb caught the mistake and the Eagles took it down shortly after every noticed.

Once this starting getting reported on, it got quickly taken down. Hmmmm....

Could Foles be involved in a potential trade-up to no. 1? I don't see how the Bucs can come out of this offseason without getting a QB, so if they were to trade out of the top spot, they'd almost HAVE to get a QB in the deal, right?

JaMarco

Kelly has done good things with trash for qb so I wonder what he could do with an elite qb. I just wonder if Mariota is elite.
From what I understand he projects to be a Wilson/Newton/Kaepernick, if you consider that "elite".

bionic77

From what I understand he projects to be a Wilson/Newton/Kaepernick, if you consider that "elite".
They all have elite talent.

The NFL is not the NBA. Talent alone won't get you that far. You need a good team and most importantly a good coach.

Draxal

Also wonder how much more Shady has in his tank. He doesn't seem to take a lot of big hits so I would guess he will have a longer career than most RBs.

He's not, but he's also Chip's guy, can't discount how important it is to having your guy as qb for a coach.

bionic77

This is true, but elite talent at the QB position can overcome a lot of flaws.
A good system and coach are much more valuable than elite talent.

Ben is one of the very few guys I can think of whose talent is enough to overcome the flaws and win at a high level. Rodgers is talented enough but is too much of a pussy to take those chances.

Brains have taken Peyton further than his talent. Similarly cheating and a good system with Tammy.

MechDX

Has there ever been a successful QB transition from college to the pros with the same coach? Struggling to think of one.

I feel it is a lot of added pressure on a young kid and he needs balls of steel to survive it. Imagine the Philly fans and media if he even slightly struggles after giving up potentially so much to get him.

Man just thought of a comparison between Kelly and O'Brien.

Both Kelly and O Brien highly sought after college coaches
First year Eagles won 10 games, BOB 9
Second year Eagles cut popular receiver Djax, rumors this year Texans may release Dre
People high on Foles second year. People high on Mallett this year
2014: Eagles trying to get coaches college QB in mariotta. Texans make a move next year for Hackenberg?

gutshot

A good system and coach are much more valuable than elite talent.

Ben is one of the very few guys I can think of whose talent is enough to overcome the flaws and win at a high level. Rodgers is talented enough but is too much of a pussy to take those chances.

Brains have taken Peyton further than his talent. Similarly cheating and a good system with Tammy.

Oh, when I say "elite talent" I'm including brains in there, not just athletic ability. So Peyton would be an elite QB talent to me.

FWIW, Chip has said that Mariota has the brains of a Peyton Manning to go along with his athletic ability of a Kaepernick.

ampere

And when's the last time a Heisman QB did well in the NFL? I'm not saying Mariota will be shit, but I don't think he's the 2nd coming.

And I still think Winston will crash and burn. And eat a lot of crab legs.

No Mr Nimoy :( I'm going to watch Star Trek 2 tomorrow after class

rip :(

Ugh Spock passed away.:(

Silly to say considering his career but I always loved him most as Galvatron in the Transformers animated movie.

Hmm... Maybe now that Hartline is gone the Dolphins can go after my boy Eddie Royal. Royal, DeVante Parker, and Landry would be a nice revamped WR corps!

#OffseasonFeverDreams

Ugh Spock passed away.:(

Silly to say considering his career but I always loved him most as Galvatron in the Transformers animated movie.

Nooo, not Spock! Wait, we all know that Kirk will find him again!

As for Galvatron, as a kid, I hated him because I loved Megatron so much lol. I remember everyone crying over the death of Prime when I was more pissed that Megatron was no more.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
March 2 is so close and nothing official out of the Pats front office yet has me worried.

Because if they work out a deal with Mccourty then they will tag Gostowski instead, so you work until the last minute before using them.

MechDX

RT @RapSheet: One interesting player taking part in the veteran combine on March 22 in AZ? Vince Young. He’s registered. One more shot.

JABEE

The Mariota Rumor Train keeps rolling. Supposedly the Eagles are going to be big players in free agency too. They have $8 million of Cary Williams money to shed with no dead cap space.

1. Draft Mariota
2. Trade Foles for a 2nd Round Pick or Higher or keep him as a backup
3. Sign Maxwell

Godslay

Banned
The Mariota Rumor Train keeps rolling. Supposedly the Eagles are going to be big players in free agency too. They have $8 million of Cary Williams money to shed with no dead cap space.

1. Draft Mariota
3. Sign Maxwell

So sign Maxwell is all that is happening.

1. Draft Mariota
3. Sign Maxwell
2nd or higher for Foles? :jnc

JABEE

2nd or higher for Foles? :jnc

Foles is worth a 2 or higher?!

e - Can't wait for the Steelers to trade Landry Jones for two firsts.

Maybe he meant the Eagles are going to send a second rounder together with Foles in a package to get rid of him.

He has an avatar bet going, he can't back down now!
I won't back down now. My life depends on it! Look at what Mech is going to scar me with.

Also, Kolb was worth a 2nd round pick and AJ Feeley was worth a 2nd round pick. The QB market is crazy.

ampere

Foles can still do it. Maybe not with the Eagles, but I think he can be a good solid pocket passer with the right system and tutelage.

Top Bottom