• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

I think He is just testing our faith.

Any rational person would agree that the SB was horrific to watch. Like watching your family being executed in front of your or Michael Jordan giving Magic Johnson AIDS. But you need evil to have good, otherwise everyone on the Earth would be just like Tebow.

To quote a great movie. The night is always darkest before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.

Fear not, cricket will save us. You should feel good now that everyone is slowly joining us on the Afghanistan bandwagon.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/838259.html

There is no greater liar than the memory of the sports fan. That's why, as has been the case at probably all of the last four World Cups, this one has added healthily to the literary genre of cricket nostalgia. In the realm of nostalgia, facts blur...

What I'm failing to get to here is that the older you get, the harder it is for cult heroes to really imprint themselves on your imagination. You miss out on some of the magic. Or so I thought until I watched Afghanistan paceman Shapoor Zadran marking out his ludicrous run-up at Manuka Oval last week. This tournament is only two weeks old, but Shapoor is my man and that's not going to change.

Are there kids out there thinking the same thing about Shapoor? Are grown adults as giddy as me about the sight of him charging in like the love child of Shoaib Akhtar and Brendon Julian? I hope so, but more on him in a minute...

Back to Shapoor, though - at the World Cup final this guy needs a podium of his own. We should carry him to it in a sedan chair. With Hamid Hassan - he of the shambolically executed cartwheels, colourful warpaint and Karate Kid headband - Shapoor has formed the most genuinely entertaining fast bowling combination I can remember in World Cup cricket. I struggle to think what both of them would have become, if not fast bowlers. WWE wrestlers? Heavy metal guitarists? Bond villains?

These two embarrassed Sri Lanka, they scared Bangladesh, and they did it not with a smile - because wide eyes and toothy smiles are a trope with which so-called minnows are always condescendingly put in their place - but with rage in their eyes. Big, dumb fast-bowler rage. It made me love them. It made me fearful of leaving my seat lest something dangerous or remarkable happened. I was right to think that, because remarkable things did actually happen. If these two are on TV, settle in.

When this World Cup is done I'm going to remember Shapoor just like I remember Patel and Greatbatch - exactly like a kid does. Cricket can stick its statistics and it can stick its commercial imperatives. I want to watch the guy with 1990s Keanu Reeves hair limping back to his 40-yard run-up in agony, turning towards a better-paid and better-prepared batsman and charging back in with fire in his eyes, earnestly trying to remove his head from his shoulders.

If we don't stop them from taking that away - from robbing us of unlikely heroes and making us feel like children again - who exactly are we?

:*)

eznark

Banned
It's true, you are kind of the anti-kas in that sense.

I am having a hard time seeing how the Dolphins improve that much from last season. Maybe Tannehill continues to develop but there are still so many holes to fill and I honestly have no faith in Philbin getting the team over the hump.

Thanks for getting my hopes up, though!

Cutting Finnegan adds two wins by itself. And it was a young team in a lot of areas. The entire line will have had a year together (they are all coming back right?) and that Jets loss was a "we give up" fluke. There is 11 wins! Schedule should be slightly easier next year as well since you finished third instead of second in the division.

Cutting Finnegan adds two wins by itself. And it was a young team in a lot of areas. The entire line will have had a year together (they are all coming back right?) and that Jets loss was a "we give up" fluke. There is 11 wins! Schedule should be slightly easier next year as well since you finished third instead of second in the division.
Schedule is easier for sure. AFC South instead of the AFC West and NFC East instead of the NFC North.

If everyone stays healthy the o-line should be alright, assuming Albert returns to form from his injury. Albert and James will be solid bookends and Pouncey can return to his natural C position. They don't have a good G on the roster, though.

WR is now an area of need with Hartline and Gibson gone. They are pretty much just Wallace and Landry at this point. Throw in Clay/Sims at TE and they still don't have a big target for Tannehill in the redzone.

CB is a huge need. Finnegan was not great last season but losing him means they don't have a CB #2 designated and their slot CB Jimmy Wilson will probably be lost in FA. They've got some young guys on the roster but who knows if they can step up to fill that spot.

S will be an issue as well because Louis Delmas is a FA and he finished the season hurt so he's probably gone.

LB is a major area of need, Ellerbe and Wheeler suck and they've had a lot of injury issues. Right now they have one good LB on the roster in Jelani Jenkins.

DT will be a problem as well. Starks faded majorly at the end of last season so he could end up getting cut to free some cap space. On top of that Jared Odrick is a FA so they will have to use some cap space to keep him around.

I don't know, man. Lots of issues, kind of hard to see it all coming together. At least they have stability at QB for now, I guess that's more than a lot of teams can say.

MRSA

Banned
Remember when the Dolphins thought they got a steal when they signed Wheeler to replace Kevin Burnett?

Pats fans are the worst.

eznark

Banned
Schedule is easier for sure. AFC South instead of the AFC West and NFC East instead of the NFC North.

If everyone stays healthy the o-line should be alright, assuming Albert returns to form from his injury. Albert and James will be solid bookends and Pouncey can return to his natural C position. They don't have a good G on the roster, though.

WR is now an area of need with Hartline and Gibson gone. They are pretty much just Wallace and Landry at this point. Throw in Clay/Sims at TE and they still don't have a big target for Tannehill in the redzone.

CB is a huge need. Finnegan was not great last season but losing him means they don't have a CB #2 designated and their slot CB Jimmy Wilson will probably be lost in FA. They've got some young guys on the roster but who knows if they can step up to fill that spot.

S will be an issue as well because Louis Delmas is a FA and he finished the season hurt so he's probably gone.

LB is a major area of need, Ellerbe and Wheeler suck and they've had a lot of injury issues. Right now they have one good LB on the roster in Jelani Jenkins.

DT will be a problem as well. Starks faded majorly at the end of last season so he could end up getting cut to free some cap space. On top of that Jared Odrick is a FA so they will have to use some cap space to keep him around.

I don't know, man. Lots of issues, kind of hard to see it all coming together. At least they have stability at QB for now, I guess that's more than a lot of teams can say.

As long as they focus on the front 7 on D I'll stick to my 12-4 prediction. They don't face many good quarterbacks in that schedule, in fact in like 75% of their games Tannehill will be the best QB on the field. So get a disruptive front and they should be totally fine.

There are quite a few solid options floating around that will help, and some will eventually even be inexpensive so I am guessing they will improve the defense significantly.

Or maybe they won't and I'll rescind my prediction!

bionic77

Fear not, cricket will save us. You should feel good now that everyone is slowly joining us on the Afghanistan bandwagon.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/838259.html

:*)
How would an ignorant American (ie Gata) go about watching cricket?

Looking at ESPN it looks like you have to be a total bum (ie Gata) to be able to watch these matches as they seem to start late at night and go until the time you are supposed to get up for work. And I don't see what channels it comes on. I have definitely not seen it channel surfing late at night.

This sport may be great but it doesn't seem compatible for people in the US who don't live off of my taxes or their parents allowance.

eznark

Banned
How does eznark feel about colored men playing the white man's sport of golf? Tiger doesn't count.

Payne Stewart was my favorite golfer of all time and no one was ever more colored than him.

Payne0005.JPG

Payne0014_t950.JPG

William-Payne-Stewart.jpg

payne_stewart_1990_pro_set.jpg

fuck I miss Payne Stewart...

bionic77

Payne Stewart was my favorite golfer of all time and no one was ever more colored than him.

fuck I miss Payne Stewart...
He is gone but take some comfort in the fact that he went out the way he came into this world.

On a swank ass private jet.

Fox318

Jets are gonna probably gonna sign Revis to a stupid contract when they could have had him from the bucs for 0 guaranteed money.

bionic77

Payne Stewart was awesome. I'll never forget him winning the 99 US open
Watching good golf is pretty awesome.

I remember him sinking so many puts that day. Like each one would be the put of your life for most of us, and he is sinking them hole after hole on the back nine at the US freaking open. Which breaks more mens hearts and minds than the entire Kardashian family put together.

I never understood why soccer players choke like bitches in big games (it seems like a physical sport and I figured the muscles could just take over). But putting in golf in those circumstances is absolutely insane.

Fox318

Good golf on tv is amazing. Really bad golf can be funny as hell but when its just plain bad its one of the worst shit on tv.

I can't wait to play some golf when spring comes.

eznark

Banned
Good golf on tv is amazing. Really bad golf can be funny as hell but when its just plain bad its one of the worst shit on tv.

I can't wait to play some golf when spring comes.

Watching awesome golfers hit bad shots is fun! Watching awesome golfers hit awesome shots is fun!

Watching easy golf is the fucking WORST. So pumped for the Open this year up at Kohler. Going to be brutal as hell.

Buds, can you hurry this thread up. Don't feel comfortable posting in a thread with the words 'Home of...Anime' in the title. Need to get on to the next OT.

bionic77

Watching awesome golfers hit bad shots is fun! Watching awesome golfers hit awesome shots is fun!

Watching easy golf is the fucking WORST. So pumped for the Open this year up at Kohler. Going to be brutal as hell.
Watching Phil choke on the back 9 at the US Open is always a great way to spend your Sunday afternoon and practically a family tradition at our house.

Almost every year he makes a few million fans forget the past 20 years and think "holy shit, Phil is actually going to do it this year", until the inevitable Phil shot happens and he is trying to make an impossible 5 on a par 3 (and doesn't do it).

He might be too old to choke it away on Sunday this year, but here is hoping he still has one more left in the tank...

Konka

Banned

That and the PGA at whistling straights.

MechDX

... And the three teams over the cap with most trimming to do by next Tuesday: 1) Saints $28.042M; 2) Patriots $14.631M; 3) Chiefs $11.463M.

Top Bottom