• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

They can't fix the D with 1 draft even if they hit on most of their picks. Upgrading the secondary through FA is probably their best bet. If this move means they can sign an actual stud S and CB then great. Then they can use the draft to create depth.

DL is actually good. Could be better but doesn't need major upgrades.

LBs are good and bad. The bad is real bad. If Kiko recovers and plays like his rookie season he could be a steal. If last year's first round pick Marcus Smith can actually see the field this year they could be set. But again tons of ifs.

You can see him focusing on bolstering the defense. The secondary and LB core are the needs and they can all be addressed in FA or have already been addressed.
What sucks is that all of a sudden the offense has huge holes besides QB in RB and Guard. The OLINE in general is aging fast and needs replacements ready to go. None of these guys for the offense are going to be found in FA. These will be all players they try to find in the draft. And some of these holes have been created by the team for no reason.

There is no hole at guard dude. That is all in your head. Herremans was not a great player, Gardner, Tobin or Barbre will more than fill that spot. They did it just fine when Herremans went down. Herremans was declining, getting injured a lot, and expensive. Absolutely zero reason to keep him around. They are better for having let Herremans go.

Cary I understand but Cole too?

Well I guess I saw it coming but man he has been a trooper since day 1. Even when asked to convert from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB and even drop into coverage.

One of the great Eagles over the past 15 years. This team is going to miss his leadership.

What's not to get about Cole? He was incredibly expensive for the position, he was aging, and his pass rush numbers were declining. You can talk about intangibles all you want but there are a lot of younger guys that are more than willing and able to pick it up on the defense.

Yeah McCoy didn't have his best season but that doesn't mean he is in decline. His running style avoids big hits and for some odd reason Chip used him less and less in the passing game so he didn't get his usual workload.

McCoy is going to be great for the Bills.

Don't get me wrong, I hate this trade, but considering his cap number and that they got a potentially great player for him it's not incredibly insane that they did it.

zychi

Banned
It's been awhile since we've seen some rotation in the top of the league. I'm sure we are due at some point, Broncos included if the Raiders manage things right.

Besides the Pats and whichever team Peyton is on. There's been a good rotation in the AFC. Chargers, Raiders, Hou, Indy, Den, NYJ, Cinci, Bmore, NE, KC, have all made the playoffs in the past 4 seasons. Thats 10 teams.

The NFL has always gotten parity right.

Godslay

Banned
Besides the Pats and whichever team Peyton is on. There's been a good rotation in the AFC. Chargers, Raiders, Hou, Indy, Den, NYJ, Cinci, Bmore, NE, KC, have all made the playoffs in the past 4 seasons. Thats 10 teams.

The NFL has always gotten parity right.

Raiders didn't make the playoffs. It's been over a decade since they have.

In reality I think outside of Balt, NE, and Den none of those other teams are considered contenders then or now.

Rotation at the top of the league entails contenders in my mind. You'll always have teams shuffling in and out of wildcards, but the top of the league has been pretty steady lately.

cdyhybrid

That's not Adam Schefter or Jay Glazer so it's patently false.

For example, Chris Mortensen tweeted this out:

Chris Mortensen @mortreport · Feb 17
Oregon QB Marcus Mariota has informed teams he will throw Sunday at the Scouting Combine.

As we know, Mariota did not end up throwing at the Combine, which further supports the notion that literally everything reported by someone that isn't Schefter or Glazer is false.

LJ11

Well I assume the Bills will be upgrading the oline anyway they can from here on. And McCoy is a great RB regardless. A great oline helps but if Spiller and Fred Jackson can be successful with that line and no QB, McCoy can be pretty good.

Spiller was great in a one back spread offense when the numbers were in his favor more often than not, and the OL was so so. That year, 2012, even with a so so OL, he had the highest elusiveness rating ever by PFF scoring. And that's something McCoy is good at, making guys miss, and he'll have to do that in Buffalo.

Fred has insane vision, old and slow, but man his vision is nuts. And in his prime broke tackles and was illusive. Once again, the OL was so so during his years.

Now, that same OL is dog shit. 1 good player, and a average to below average C making top 5 center money. Bills backs averaged 2 yards before contact. Two yards. So either both backs forgot how to make people miss, an assumption worth considering in Fred's case due to age, or the OL didn't give anyone a chance.

McCoy is in for a beating unless there is a drastic turnaround in talent. I'm sure Roman's system will improve our run game a bit, but without talent, upside is extremely limited.

Spinluck

staff.0.gif

What a pussy.

Luck would've trucked that guy and potentially fumble.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I don't think stocking your pro team with your ex-college team is going to work. Oregon didn't win 5 national titles in a row or anything. Sorry Iggle fans. Chip will probably trade a shit ton for Mariota and if it doesn't work, he'll go back to college and your team will be a smoldering crater.

effzee

You can see him focusing on bolstering the defense. The secondary and LB core are the needs and they can all be addressed in FA or have already been addressed.

I mean that's my hope too especially since there aren't any offensive talent in FA which I see the Eagles going after. Maybe Spiller?

There is no hole at guard dude. That is all in your head. Herremans was not a great player, Gardner, Tobin or Barbre will more than fill that spot. They did it just fine when Herremans went down. Herremans was declining, getting injured a lot, and expensive. Absolutely zero reason to keep him around. They are better for having let Herremans go.

They are better off at G just like they are better off at RB : only cause of the freed up cap space. Not because the current replacements on roster are any better. The Guard replacements played well but they didn't outplay Todd and they aren't much younger. Good depth guys but I don't think anyone should expect them to outplay Todd in a fulltime role.

What's not to get about Cole? He was incredibly expensive for the position, he was aging, and his pass rush numbers were declining. You can talk about intangibles all you want but there are a lot of younger guys that are more than willing and able to pick it up on the defense.

His pass rushing #s were only declining cause he was asked to play LB and even drop off into coverage. His transformation has been amazing.

Trent I was hoping would be restructured because he won't get much more on the market but now I can see him going to a 4-3 run defense and regaining his pass rush form. This better mean we re-sign Brandon Graham.

Don't get me wrong, I hate this trade, but considering his cap number and that they got a potentially great player for him it's not incredibly insane that they did it.

Its insane only because they don't have a great QB and the 1 other guy who put fear into defenses was let go for nothing the year before. They went from a WR and RB teams had to constantly worry about to good role players who don't scare anyone.

To me McCoy at his age is still worth every penny. I guess I foolishly expected them to redo McCoy's contract so the cap hit would be minimal this season. I shouldn't be shocked after what happened with DeSean but just didn't expect it at all.

cdyhybrid

I don't think stocking your pro team with your ex-college team is going to work. Oregon didn't win 5 national titles in a row or anything. Sorry Iggle fans. Chip will probably trade a shit ton for Mariota and if it doesn't work, he'll go back to college and your team will be a smoldering crater.

Pretty much. They won one Rose Bowl IIRC and that was the extent of their postseason success.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Also, if I'm the Bucs, and I'm ok with Winston's off the field stuff, I don't trade that first pick for 10 first rounders.

effzee

But that's true for any coach. Coaches, even the really bad ones (Rex Ryan), can leave and rebound on another team.

Chip could be kicked out or leave on his own. Doesn't change how he or the FO should approach things.

Pretty upset about losing McCoy so down on Chip but in his 2 seasons has shown he can adapt and use the players he has to their best strengths. And the Eagles are always in amazing cap space situations year in and year out so even if they forgo some draft picks this year and next, they won't somehow become the Raiders or Jags.

And if their personnel guys are worth anything they could still use rounds 3-6 to find gems. I'd rather the coach/FO be confident enough in their scouting, their own coaching, and their vision even if that includes trading up for Mariota rather than playing it safe and stock piling picks which still have a 50/50 shot of being huge busts.

When will the nfl announce the who the Patriots play on opening night?

Never thought it but it looks like it might be the Bills if they keep making moves.

effzee

Yeah, I have no idea how reliable that Tampa reporter is but given what just went down I would not be the least bit surprised if that offer, or something very similar to it, was on the table.

Why would the Eagles need to trade with Tampa?

Aren't they 99% set on drafting Winston? If anything I'd believe rumors about trading to the Titans, Raiders, Washington Racists, or the Jets spot over the #1 pick.

Draxal

Why do people assume Gordon will be there so late? Like LJ has mentioned a few times, he and Gurley are probably the two best players in the draft. Even if RBs are de-valued, it's hard to argue what a good one can do

Look at Chiefs and Texans with and w/o Charles and Foster

It's just a very strong draft for rb's this year, Gurley had the knee issue, and while Gordon was great, teams just can just go for an Abdullah/Coleman/Ajayi later on as well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Aren't they 99% set on drafting Winston? If anything I'd believe rumors about trading to the Titans, Raiders, Washington Racists, or the Jets spot over the #1 pick.

Because Tampa Bay can and will hold them up for it if they try to be sneaky.

They are better off at G just like they are better off at RB : only cause of the freed up cap space. Not because the current replacements on roster are any better. The Guard replacements played well but they didn't outplay Todd and they aren't much younger. Good depth guys but I don't think anyone should expect them to outplay Todd in a fulltime role.

None of them took regular reps with the first team. They'll get better as they get chemistry with the guys around them, and you're not factoring in another year of aging on Herremans who has been injured frequently.

His pass rushing #s were only declining cause he was asked to play LB and even drop off into coverage. His transformation has been amazing.

Trent I was hoping would be restructured because he won't get much more on the market but now I can see him going to a 4-3 run defense and regaining his pass rush form. This better mean we re-sign Brandon Graham.

And yet Connor Barwin became a pass rush machine in the same defense. Trent Cole did a great job transitioning but that doesn't mean he's worth the money. They can easily replace him with the $8.5M they are saving. To me it says they just want to get younger.

MRSA

Banned

They'll trade to the Jags or Raiders. The Titans won't pass up on Leonard Williams, it'll be up to the Jags or Raiders to trade back with the Iggles. Who's available at #20? DaVante Parker?

effzee

None of them took regular reps with the first team. They'll get better as they get chemistry with the guys around them, and you're not factoring in another year of aging on Herremans who has been injured frequently.

Might be. But they aren't much younger or quality starters. I can see the Eagles taking a Guard in the 2nd round to also help reduce the age across the OLINE.

And yet Connor Barwin became a pass rush machine in the same defense. Trent Cole did a great job transitioning but that doesn't mean he's worth the money. They can easily replace him with the $8.5M they are saving.

Connor Barwin was always a 3-4 LB. He played the same role with the Texans.

Trent Cole I thought they would bring back at a reduced cost but thought since he has been a great leader and still put up #s he would be back. Brandon Graham better get signed now. Extremely productive.

Brent Celek should get cut too by this logic. Cut all the veterans!

Spiller was great in a one back spread offense when the numbers were in his favor more often than not, and the OL was so so. That year, 2012, even with a so so OL, he had the highest elusiveness rating ever by PFF scoring. And that's something McCoy is good at, making guys miss, and he'll have to do that in Buffalo.

Fred has insane vision, old and slow, but man his vision is nuts. And in his prime broke tackles and was illusive. Once again, the OL was so so during his years.

Now, that same OL is dog shit. 1 good player, and a average to below average C making top 5 center money. Bills backs averaged 2 yards before contact. Two yards. So either both backs forgot how to make people miss, an assumption worth considering in Fred's case due to age, or the OL didn't give anyone a chance.

McCoy is in for a beating unless there is a drastic turnaround in talent. I'm sure Roman's system will improve our run game a bit, but without talent, upside is extremely limited.

So in your estimation did the Eagles and Bills both end up with a good deal? Bills D seems loaded where they could afford to lose Kiko and acquire a top 5 RB.

Eagles potentially add a stud on their D (who also fits the culture), open up tons of cap space, and will most likely replace McCoy with a guy they get in the 2nd or 3rd round.

manfestival

so freaking exhausted but happy. Just got home from the hospital. My mother was in surgery for over 8 hours where they were able to completely remove cancer from her body and she may not even have to use chemo(but that is up in the air as a precautionary step).

just figured I would share my good news

It's only insane because of what they got for lesean. Kiko is good and has potential to be amazing, but that's just potential. That doesn't equal to the best player on the eagles/top 3 RB in the league (Arguably).

Kiko and a Pick? Sure....

Just Kiko straight up? GTFO.

That's just bad business. yea, they freed up cap space. Great. Cap space doesn't win shit. Secondly, Good business is freeing up the cap space with a trade that brings equal or better value. And let's be honest, the Bills are most likely not the only team that would take lesean mccoy off our hands. We could get more for Lesean, and that's the biggest disappointment for me in this trade. Not that we only lose such a great player, but we didn't get enough value for our best player in a trade.

so freaking exhausted but happy. Just got home from the hospital. My mother was in surgery for over 8 hours where they were able to completely remove cancer from her body and she may not even have to use chemo(but that is up in the air as a precautionary step).

thats awesome man

Tom Penny

Congrats to you and your family. Cancer sucks balls.

cdyhybrid

Good stuff. Hope everything continues to go well.

effzee

It's only insane because of what they got for lesean. Kiko is good and has potential to be amazing, but that's just potential. That doesn't equal to the best player on the eagles/top 3 RB in the league (Arguably).

Kiko and a Pick? Sure....

Just Kiko straight up? GTFO.

That's just bad business. yea, they freed up cap space. Great. Cap space doesn't win shit. Secondly, Good business is freeing up the cap space with a trade that brings equal or better value. And let's be honest, the Bills are most likely not the only team that would take lesean mccoy off our hands. We could get more for Lesean, and that's the biggest disappointment for me in this trade. Not that we only lose such a great player, but we didn't get enough value for our best player in a trade.

That's it! I knew there was something bothering me beyond what I already said but couldn't find the words.

If they were ready to move ok fine sure but then this is the best trade you could get? And it was supposedly done in 20 minutes? Once again it seems like Chip just wanted a former player back. Granted this former player could be a stud if fully recovered, but this doesn't seem like the best possible deal.

I'd expect a pick in return. And I am sure other teams could have offered more.

In 2013 the team set records in points and yards. Since then we got rid of Desean and Lesean and in return for two great weapons we have a ILB coming off a major knee injury. Terrible moves so far just for the value we have received in return.

gutshot

It doesn't make much sense to me either but Jimmy Kempski said a few days ago on Twitter that he was becoming more and more convinced the Eagles were going to trade up to no. 1. Kempski doesn't normally say that kind of stuff unless he has good sources to back it up. (He was the one who first reported on the possibility of DeSean getting traded/released last year and everyone thought he was full of shit.)

My guess? A trade was discussed and an offer probably not unlike what was reported was on the table but the Bucs decided they didn't want to do it and, given their Twitter feed today, it seems likely they will stay at 1 and draft Winston. The Eagles then turned around and worked out this deal with the Bills.

Don't be surprised to see Foles traded in the next week or two...

That's it! I knew there was something bothering me beyond what I already said but couldn't find the words.

If they were ready to move ok fine sure but then this is the best trade you could get? And it was supposedly done in 20 minutes? Once again it seems like Chip just wanted a former player back. Granted this former player could be a stud if fully recovered, but this doesn't seem like the best possible deal.

I'd expect a pick in return. And I am sure other teams could have offered more.

In 2013 the team set records in points and yards. Since then we got rid of Desean and Lesean and in return for two great weapons we have a ILB coming off a major knee injury. Terrible moves so far just for the value we have received in return.

and casey matthews is still on this team (i know he did ok last year..just sayin)

gutshot

I don't know. 27 year old RBs with a lot of wear on their tires and huge cap hits aren't generally a hot trade commodity. Shady is talented but his skills will be in decline soon if they aren't already. Not sure the Eagles could have done much better.

What was the last big player for player trade?

Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey?

MechDX

Jeff McLane @Jeff_McLane
· 12m 12 minutes ago
Updated info on Maclin: Deal was close for some time, not as close recently and he's getting nibbles. #Eagles have to up ante w/ McCoy leak.

So someone has contacted Maclins camp.......hmmmm

Jeff McLane @Jeff_McLane
· 1h 1 hour ago
#Eagles player to me after Chip Kelly was given control in Jan: "It'll be a 53 man Oregon roster with Navy practice squad." Getting there.

Drama in Philly can make this off season interesting

I don't know. 27 year old RBs with a lot of wear on their tires and huge cap hits aren't generally a hot trade commodity. Shady is takented but his skills will be in decline soon if they aren't already. Not sure the Eagles could have done much better.

hes still got 3 good years in him (if not more with how soft the league is now) and he isn't a back that gets hurt alot/often or gets abused alot because of the way he runs. Durability is one of his strengths and is valuable in a RB

JABEE

LeSean McCoy is reportedly giving the Bills issues and threatening not to report.

People are saying that the Bills are going to have to make him feel comfortable. They are probably going to have to extend him.

Pepiope

LeSean McCoy is reportedly giving the Bills issues and threatening not to report.

People are saying that the Bills are going to have to make him feel comfortable. They are probably going to have to extend him.
With nothing official yet, can they back out before Tuesday?

MechDX

Adam Levitan ‏@adamlevitan · 12m12 minutes ago
Oh. RT @JasonLaCanfora McCoy will make noise about wanting an extension and/ or declining to report. Bills bracing for that already.

With nothing official yet, can they back out before Tuesday?

Yes

Top Bottom