• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

ShaneB

I eat Doritos with ketchup. Like real ketchup.

mYPezoR.gif

Dear Tebow, Uncle Rog, Based God, please save this thread from this path to damnation.

Worse than pineapple pizza? I doubt some of you have even tried ketchup chips

You took it too far.

Tried them. They're an abomination.

Pineapple on pizza is semi-legit kinda. There is no justification for combining ketchup flavor and potato crisps. None.

I avoid gyms and most bars just for this reason. To many girls looking, dressing, amd acting like adults. And to many adults doing the opposite. Its a god damned minefield out there.

There was this one girl who was particularly hot who frequented my gym. I mean, I knew she was young but I figured maybe 19 or 20. Then one day I am driving home from the grocery store and I see her with a group of kids walking home from school....MIDDLE school. I felt like I needed to post flyers with my picture on them around my neighborhood.

LJ11

Versatility is the key word with Martin.

When you're talking about versatility in a defender, I agree. But versatility in an OL? I don't see the benefit to be quite honest. Versatile OL come in handy when your OL is ravaged by injury, at that point your front 5 is fucked.

Edit: I mean he can play T or can't, dont care what side because LT is just important as RT if you ask me. If he can't then he's interior, so where does the versatility come in, that he can play G or C. I just don't know. I don't think he's a bad player by any means, but everyone talks about the talent in this class...maybe there isn't as much talent as some think....

Colasante

When you're talking about versatility in a defender, I agree. But versatility in an OL? I don't see the benefit to be quite honest. Versatile OL come in handy when your OL is ravaged by injury, at that point your front 5 is fucked.

You're certainly not wrong, but it does help. I was grateful of Logan Mankins' experience at tackle when Nate Solder was out last season. Mankins slid over to left tackle and held it down without issue. The ability of Zack Martin and Xavier Su'a-Filo to play tackle in a pinch definitely helps them versus other interior linemen.

Syrinx

The Dolphins o-line is pretty fucked.

Draxal

It's the Giants organizational philosophy and I actually have pegged Martin to the Giants in my mock.

Believe me I'm kinda against it as I do want pure maulers personally, but they believe there is value there.

I really just want to see McGinn's report on the linemen.

squicken

It's the Giants organizational philosophy and I actually have pegged Martin to the Giants in my mock.

Believe me I'm kinda against it as I do want pure maulers personally, but they believe there is value there.

I really just want to see McGinn's report on the linemen.

I think the thought he has initial ability to play OT, but can also play guard and center later in career. And I do think there is utility in that versatility. Mathews has it as well. Another reason Martin is in demand is b/c so many teams in top of draft have awful OL situations. It's getting very hard to find 5 good linemen and keep them healthy for 16 games

Draxal

Reposting what Mayock said about Zach Martin.

MIKE MAYOCK: I love the kid. Even though I have him fourth as a tackle, he'd be my number one center or my number one guard. I believe that he is the only player in this draft that could start and play at a high level at all five offensive line positions. I think as we get closer to this draft, he will be the fourth offensive lineman off the board.
I think he's coming off the board somewhere between nine and 13. He's too good. He's too safe. There are too many offensive line needs out there. There are a bunch of teams that look at him and say, He could start at right tackle day one, maybe we move him inside to guard or center the next year.
He's awesome. He's about as safe a player as there is in this draft. If you want him, you better get him early.

LJ11

I think the thought he has initial ability to play OT, but can also play guard and center later in career. And I do think there is utility in that versatility. Mathews has it as well. Another reason Martin is in demand is b/c so many teams in top of draft have awful OL situations. It's getting very hard to find 5 good linemen and keep them healthy for 16 games

It's also difficult to pay for 5 good OL. Guards are making what LT made 6 years or so ago. Hard to throw all that cash into an OL.

If you think he can play OT, fine, no problem with that. He'll play OT and when he's on the backside can move inside like some other tackles do, but I don't see it as a selling point now because he may not be on my team in 6 years. What can he do for me in the next 5 years, that's my concern.

Filling for injured player, not what I value to be honest, because I don't trust him to protect on end of the line to begin with, will have to scheme around my actual starter being out even if Martin can fill in a pinch.

Edit: Plus I'm taking away my "good" interior OL and moving him to a weaker position, I may be weak inside now too depending on my depth.

gutshot

Here is a blog post I found with a reasonable list of 10 players who if they drop and are available at spot 22 the Eagles should jump for joy and grab

http://eaglesscout.blogspot.com/2014/04/top-10-targets-at-22.html

Basically a list of all the guys who at one point or another been mocked to the Eagles.

At this point I just want it to be here so we know.

The Eagles GM has become all of a sudden very chatty and talked about the safety class is weak so they might only draft one late if it makes sense (hopefully this is a smokescreen and even if the class is weak they grab a guy or two to bolster their pathetic safety squad).

Also said there are close to 10 top tier WRs available. Hopefully this means they focus on WR in rounds 2 and or 3 while taking the best defensive player available at 22.

The list of the WRs as I imagine the experts have it made :

1) Sammy Watkins (6-1, 211), Clemson
2) Mike Evans (6-5, 231), Texas A&M
3) Odell Beckham, Jr. (5-11, 198), LSU
4) Brandin Cooks (5-10, 189), Oregon State
5) Marqise Lee (6-0, 192), USC
6) Allen Robinson (6-3, 220), Penn State
7) Donte Moncrief (6-2, 221), Ole Miss
8) Jordan Matthews (6-3, 212), Vanderbilt
9) Cody Latimer (6-3, 215), Indiana
10) Martavis Bryant (6-4, 211), Clemson

Watkins and Evans are out unless the Eagles do some crazy shit and move up. Beckham is probably gone but if he falls to us we better take him. Honestly I'd be happy with any of those guys but in the first round only up to Lee. I think from 6-10, one of those guys will be available at pick 54. Or they can move up in the 2nd to take Latimer if they love him so much.

I just assume they are too young and have bad hygiene to make myself feel better.

I really think that unless Barr or maybe Clinton-Dix falls to 22, they will look to trade down. My guess is they think they can still grab a WR they like later in the draft so why not stockpile some picks?

Out of that second tier of WRs you listed out, I'd really like them to grab Bryant. His combination of speed and size is rare and if you can coach him up and improve his technique, he could be a stud. But if you go by pre-draft interest, they will pick Latimer or Matthews. And those guys are the safer pick. Bryant is more of a high-risk, high-reward selection.

Top Bottom