• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Do you have Spotify? If so, go to the search box and enter "(city name games here) Sports Band". There's one for most cities, but Baltimore Sports Band for example, and it's a guy who makes songs for all the sports in that city. It's pretty bad, but pretty funny. If you don't want to do that, the guy has a new album "Sports Songs for People Who Like Sports Songs" by The Athletic Sports Band, and there are some great songs, my favorite being "Ladies Love Ben Roethlisberger" (although that might be from a different album). Other gems to check out:

Pete Carroll Rules the WOrld
The Colin Kaepernick Saga
A Song About Mark Behrle
The Matt Cassel Story

It's worth a listen.

Dammit you bitches, someone do it

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So I'd like to take a few minutes to discuss scouting. Primarily qb's, but the same principles will apply for many positions. When you're looking at a qb, there are five primary traits.

Physical

Size/Build - For a qb, prototypical size would be 6'4", 230. You'd like him to be able to see over the line, be able to take a hit and protect the ball.

Arm - Strength. Accuracy. Consistency.

Athleticism - Can he run with the ball? Escape pressure? Roll out?

Mental

Football acumen - Understanding of football fundamentals. Offensive AND defensive concepts. Blocking schemes. Decision making.

Intangibles - How does he play when it's crunch time. Does he fold under pressure, both mental and physical. Leadership. Learning ability. Criminal record. etc. Lots of stuff you can't see on tape.

Many people will value one of these over the others, or the physical over the mental or vice versa. In this draft, there's a qb that is elite in one of the categories, but not in several. Carr has the arm, Bortles has the size, Manziel has the athleticism and Bridgewater the acumen.

If I'm a gm and I'm taking a qb really high in the draft, I would like him to be elite in one or more categories and no worse than average in the others. Thinking about it, I can only recall two guys ever that would be elite in all categories, Elway and Luck.

In the end, it's how well a player combines all of his traits that will lead to success.

Slo

RBI Baseball > *

rbi-baseball-crop.jpg

cdyhybrid

So I'd like to take a few minutes to discuss scouting. Primarily qb's, but the same principles will apply for many positions. When you're looking at a qb, there are five primary traits.

Physical

Size/Build - For a qb, prototypical size would be 6'4", 230. You'd like him to be able to see over the line, be able to take a hit and protect the ball.

Arm - Strength. Accuracy. Consistency.

Athleticism - Can he run with the ball? Escape pressure? Roll out?

Mental

Football acumen - Understanding of football fundamentals. Offensive AND defensive concepts. Blocking schemes. Decision making.

Intangibles - How does he play when it's crunch time. Does he fold under pressure, both mental and physical. Leadership. Learning ability. Criminal record. etc. Lots of stuff you can't see on tape.

Many people will value one of these over the others, or the physical over the mental or vice versa. In this draft, there's a qb that is elite in one of the categories, but not in several. Carr has the arm, Bortles has the size, Manziel has the athleticism and Bridgewater the acumen.

If I'm a gm and I'm taking a qb really high in the draft, I would like him to be elite in one or more categories and no worse than average in the others. Thinking about it, I can only recall two guys ever that would be elite in all categories, Elway and Luck.

In the end, it's how well a player combines all of his traits that will lead to success.

I'd throw ability to sense pressure in there too. Not sure that falls cleanly under one of those categories? The ability to side step a rusher or knowing when to step up in the pocket, etc.

Fox318

I grew up on Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr, Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest, All Star Baseball, and Backyard Sports games.

Saw Raid 2 tonight, not as good as the first one (Takes far too long to really get going) but on the flipside, I think I'm in love with this woman:

julie-estelle-raid.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with me.

squicken

So I'd like to take a few minutes to discuss scouting.

Welcome back!

As far as your scouting, I pretty much agree. I think it's almost impossible to wait for the perfect QB to come along. I just think that you have to take the guy you like early. He may be flawed, but he's going to be less flawed than they guy available in the 2nd round.

There are exceptions, of course. Brady and Wilson. And if the GM/coach think this year is just like last year where none of the QBs are any good, then it's just throwing darts again in later rounds

Konka

Banned
I gave the fish a luxurious milk bath, dipped it in (spiced) flour, dredged it in egg, dripped it in fish fry batter, then cooked in a pan with 1tbsp of oil for ~3 mins each side.

I enjoy your posts a lot less now that there isn't a hot red head avatar.

BigAT

Anyone ever play 10-Yard Fight for the NES?

Arcade_10_Yard_Fight.png

I have no idea if it holds up in the least, but it was the only football game I had so I played the hell out of it. I certainly have very fond memories of it.

Top Bottom