• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
And I think I need to get Mario Golf and get in on these tournaments. How long does it take to play a round?

For the full 18 hole courses, if you're decent you can get a round done in around 20 minutes. Can take a bit longer if you take your time. No save and quit option since that was exploitable in past games, but at least you can just close your 3DS and resume later.

I set the tournaments up to last a couple days, as long as you post a score before the deadline you're fine. You can continue to play the tourney after posting your first score and upload better scores if you get a better one.

The inaugural Mario Golf 3DS NFL-GAF Greg Cup final results (Mii names don't necessarily match GAF usernames):

1. XiaNaphryz -19
2. Issac -18
3. Kayotix -13
4. Andrew -12
5. fmt -7
6. Dusty -3

The second Greg Cup tournament is posted, this one on the Seaside course. Tourney code is 27-9945-9687-6007.
Ah, you edged me out at the very end! Well played. I'll give the next one a run or two this evening. Thanks for setting these up!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The Rams are going to take JFF if he's there at 2 aren't they. They're the least talked about team, drafting in the top 5, in terms of needing a QB and yet to me I think it's been an option since the beginning. They need a QB, more so than they need a guy like Robinson.

I'd be shocked if they took Manziel at #2 and kept him over Robinson. The only way I see the Rams drafting JFF is to use him as trade bait for a team like the Browns. Once they has his trade rights I think they'll have lots of teams throwing picks at them for JFF. I don't know why NFL teams do this more often.

Most of the media is hyping up Robinson like he's the next Orlando Pace. He looks like a great player but the last few years it seems like top drafted tackles don't produce as well as there draft status should indicate. Luke Jockel and Eric Fischer were both disappointments last year.

If we were to redo last years horrible draft, Larry Warford our 3rd round pick would be a Top 5 pick and LaAdrian Waddle our UDRFA right tackle would be taken over both the #1 and #2 pick in Joeckel and Fischer.

If I'm the Rams I use my #2 on can't miss Sammy Watkins and see what offensive lineman are available at #13.

The inaugural Mario Golf 3DS NFL-GAF Greg Cup final results (Mii names don't necessarily match GAF usernames):

1. XiaNaphryz -19
2. Issac -18
3. Kayotix -13
4. Andrew -12
5. fmt -7
6. Dusty -3

The second Greg Cup tournament is posted, this one on the Seaside course. Tourney code is 27-9945-9687-6007. Tournament ends Friday May 9 at midnight Pacific. I'll likely setup the next tournament to run like this past one (Fri - Sun).

On the -12 run I was doing fine on the front 9 then pulled a Peyton on the back 9 by missing some makeable putts

bionic77

Online golf tournaments sound really rad.

Especially since we can all play it at different times and then compare our results later to see whose mario golf dick is the largest.

XiaNaphryz

Ah, you edged me out at the very end! Well played. I'll give the next one a run or two this evening. Thanks for setting these up!

The last three holes I finished eagle, birdie, birdie to overtake you. Clutch through the roof. ;)

Especially since we can all play it at different times and then compare our results later to see whose mario golf dick is the largest.

I also setup a lobby if anyone wants to try and play real-time and mock each other as we actually hit our shots. We can take our turns simultaenously to speed things up, you still see each other's ghost balls flying around as everyone hits their shots. We'd have to coordinate here on when people are on though.

The last three holes I finished eagle, birdie, birdie to overtake you. Clutch through the roof. ;)
You are the Andrew Luck of Mario Golf, it seems!

I spent forever last night trying to do that one on, one putt 18 hole challenge... That thing is rough. I finished the 9 hole one but I haven't even gotten close on 18.

XiaNaphryz

You are the Andrew Luck of Mario Golf, it seems!

I spent forever last night trying to do that one on, one putt 18 hole challenge... That thing is rough. I finished the 9 hole one but I haven't even gotten close on 18.

I need to unlock more gear. I did okay in the main GAF tourney (10th place out of something like 150+ total) that just finished, but I don't have enough power to compete for a top 3 spot. Not with the top players able to drive the green on the shorter par 4s on the new tournament they just posted.

squicken

I will hunt you down Squicken...

plz I don't want him in STL. Schotty doesn't get to ruin anymore careers. He's like a vampire. He takes the blood of the young and bathes in it to sustain his employment. Tavon disappeared at the end of last year. Where did he go?

ShaneB

I know that feeling. Today is kind of a weird Monday for me though, my wife was really sick last week so I was home Wednesday through Friday taking care of her and the baby. For once I'm actually feeling kind of refreshed to be back at work.

Just different perspectives I guess. There are times when I'm thankful for work to break up a rut I might be in if I don't feel like I do anything at all... which is sad in itself. Hope everything is a-ok now on your end.

As much as I am enjoying playing Hot Shots Golf again, I know I'm missing out on the Mario Golf good times. Ah well.

I need to unlock more gear. I did okay in the main GAF tourney (10th place) that just finished, but I don't have enough power to compete for a top 3 spot. Not with the top players able to drive the green on the shorter par 4s on the new tournament they just posted.

I got to put some time this week to play more in the Castle Club to get gear. I did this and the GAF tournaments with a new Mii with Mario Clubs :jnc

I need to unlock more gear. I did okay in the main GAF tourney (10th place) that just finished, but I don't have enough power to compete for a top 3 spot. Not with the top players able to drive the green on the shorter par 4s on the new tournament they just posted.
Yeah, same here. The tourney you set up was the first thing I did so I was using all starting gear. This game is just like Mario Tennis on 3DS, gear is extremely important and at some point skill just isn't enough. I'm kind of confused as to how the unlocks work though, it seems kind of random. I got to the end credits but I barely did anything and I'm not sure what to focus on now. Challenges I guess?

prG7t1r.jpg

LJ11

I'd be shocked if they took Manziel at #2 and kept him over Robinson. The only way I see the Rams drafting JFF is to use him as trade bait for a team like the Browns. Once they has his trade rights I think they'll have lots of teams throwing picks at them for JFF. I don't know why NFL teams do this more often.

Most of the media is hyping up Robinson like he's the next Orlando Pace. He looks like a great player but the last few years it seems like top drafted tackles don't produce as well as there draft status should indicate. Luke Jockel and Eric Fischer were both disappointments last year.

If we were to redo last years horrible draft, Larry Warford our 3rd round pick would be a Top 5 pick and LaAdrian Waddle our UDRFA right tackle would be taken over both the #1 and #2 pick in Joeckel and Fischer.

If I'm the Rams I use my #2 on can't miss Sammy Watkins and see what offensive lineman are available at #13.

When you do your redraft next year, and Sammy is on the Rams, he'll go in the 5th round because he won't produce in that O, no one does.

XiaNaphryz

Yeah, same here. The tourney you set up was the first thing I did so I was using all starting gear. This game is just like Mario Tennis on 3DS, gear is extremely important and at some point skill just isn't enough. I'm kind of confused as to how the unlocks work though, it seems kind of random. I got to the end credits but I barely did anything and I'm not sure what to focus on now. Challenges I guess?

Most of the unlocks are in the challenges apparently.

So since I won the first Greg tournament, does that mean Greg has to hand me a trophy?

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/05/gil-brandt-thinks-mack-goes-before-clowney/#comments

In recent weeks, a presumption has emerged that defensive end Jadeveon Clowney will be the first player drafted on Thursday night, with the only question being whether the Texans trade the pick before making it, they pick Clowney then trade him, or they pick Clowney then keep him.

The venerable Gil Brandt has another thought when it comes to Clowney. Brandt, a long-time Cowboys executive who now works for the NFL, believes Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack will be picked before Clowney.

colbert_mic_drop-52522.gif

LJ11

Rams would also get out from under Bradford's contract. 10 million savings this year and 16 mil next year.

It's a no brainer. Rams need a QB, everyone in the media generally ignored it leading up to this week, but it's an area of need and at this point a no brainer if he's on the board.

You'd trade away a Pro Bowl QB and a 1st round pick for JFF? Are you crazy?

You care about the pro bowl? I would trade Foles in a second because I do not believe he will be a good NFL QB. He did well last year in Chips system but cracks were already showing at the end of the year and I think if they had a more dynamic player in that spot it could really open things up and make the offense even better. I dont want the Eagles to be good enough to make the playoffs in a terrible division and then get bounced right away every year, I want them to build to be a SB team. Having a QB that cant or wont keep it on those zone read plays is really hurting things. Plus if Foles puts up good numbers again they are going to have to give him a huge contract even if he sucks in the playoffs again.

gutshot

You care about the pro bowl? I would trade Foles in a second because I do not believe he will be a good NFL QB. He did well last year in Chips system but cracks were already showing at the end of the year and I think if they had a more dynamic player in that spot it could really open things up and make the offense even better. I dont want the Eagles to be good enough to make the playoffs in a terrible division and then get bounced right away every year, I want them to build to be a SB team. Having a QB that cant or wont keep it on those zone read plays is really hurting things. Plus if Foles puts up good numbers again they are going to have to give him a huge contract even if he sucks in the playoffs again.

If you want to sell high on Foles, that is fine. But I think you can do better than just moving up in the first round with him.

In any case, what makes you so sure that Manziel is the key to the SB? Maybe Foles can't get you 15-20 yards on those zone read keeps, but he does lots of other things well. We know the offense works with Foles running the show, so I'm not sure it makes sense to make such a drastic change. And weren't you saying that you didn't want to cut DeSean and draft a WR to replace him because you can't count on these draft picks working out every time? Trading Foles and drafting JFF would be the same thing.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
When you do your redraft next year, and Sammy is on the Rams, he'll go in the 5th round because he won't produce in that O, no one does.

I think Sammy has the talent to produce even with a mediocre/below mediocre QB. The only way he wouldn't produce is because he has a shitty OC in Brian Shotty. But even Megatrom produced with our Rod Marrinelli, Rosemead High School (L.A. CA) offense.

Megatron coming out of Georgia Tech was as close of a sure fire pick as you could get. Sammy is pretty damn close to that IMO.

In our 0-16, worst team in NFL history, Megatron still put up amazing numbers with a horrible coaching staff and QBs like Jon Kitna, Dan Orlowaky and Drew Stanton.

Megatron sophomore season 2008 stats:

78 Receptions, 1331 Yards, 17.1 YPC, 12 TDs

Pretty amazing considering how horrible our team was in almost every single facet from offensive line to Quarterback to defense line.

MechDX

Neat concept helemts here:

Texans-Clowney.jpg

Don't like the Texans helmet but the uni is nice.

Ravens is cool:
ravens-7.jpg

9724350693_ff062ea5b6_o.jpg

Chargers two tone is nice.

Top Bottom