• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

MechDX

Posted?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...e-the-first-pick-of-the-texans-134522647.html

It's possible that a kid who was barely recruited out of high school — for the second straight year, too, with Central Michigan's Eric Fisher last year — could be the No. 1 pick in the draft.

All along we have been hearing that the Texans were intrigued by Mack, and how he might be a "better fit" in Romeo Crennel's defensive scheme. But the Texans couldn't pass on such a rare talent as Clowney, right?

The Texans should have had zero trouble gathering evidence on Clowney. Yes, there are a few possibly biased sources in the organization, such as owner Bob McNair, a South Carolina alum, plus former Gamecocks DBs Johnathan Joseph and D.J. Swearinger, both who have campaigned for the team to take Clowney.

But as ESPN's Adam Schefter wrote Monday, the Texans also have two great sources for info on Clowney. The team's new strength and conditioning coach, Craig Fitzgerald, was in the same position at South Carolina from 2009-2011, right when Clowney was coming on board to the school. In addition, the father of the Texans' new quality control coach Will Lawing, Brad Lawing, was Clowney’s defensive line coach at South Carolina.

Perhaps, if the simmering reports about Mack going first are true, the Texans didn't feel comfortable with what they were hearing on Clowney. And if there's a team that has this No. 1 pick switcheroo 48 hours before the draft down pat, it's the Texans, who pulled the same manuever back in 2006 with Mario Williams trumping the widely anticipated Reggie Bush for the top spot.

We might be in for another surprise with Mack.

I was following this mock and started laughing at that trade.

Well it IS the Bills so its not entirely out of the realm. Not probable but not that far fetched

bionic77

I don't trust those big men that move like senior citizens. Oden and Bynum all broke down on their twenties too. They look unnatural when they move around.
Hibbert might break down early too, but that is not what happened to him.

Dude just quit on his team and does not give any fucks.

Even if his body broke down he would go from being good/really good to below average. But he hasn't looked like an actual pro for months and seems to be getting worse each month. I mean how the fuck can a guy that big play that many minutes and not get a rebound? Even someone who is short and unathletic is going to get a few rebounds per game just by being on the floor. Someone who spends all his time in the paint should finish with no less than 6 rebounds per 20 minutes (and that is shitty).

No there is something seriously wrong with that team and Hibbert seems to be at the heart of it. Hopefully it will come out in the summer as soon as the Wizards get through embarrassing them.

o1UNa.gif

MechDX

PDS ‏@PatDStat · 34s
"We coach who shows up." OB on Andre Johnson not being at voluntary minicamp. #Texans

Welp. Dre had a good run. Enjoy Boston!

slabrock

Banned

squicken

PDS ‏@PatDStat · 34s
"We coach who shows up." OB on Andre Johnson not being at voluntary minicamp. #Texans

Welp. Dre had a good run. Enjoy Boston!

Da fuck? He's been subjected to some of the dumbest fucking morons in coaching, QBs and personnel evaluation. I'll always be on his side. I know that Dre is a badass. BoB hasn't proven shit

Wes

venison crêpe
Ian Kenyon ‏@IanKenyonNFL · 2m
In this NFL Nation mock at ESPN, somebody just traded #9, #41, a future 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Jadeveon Clowney. Get out of here.

Wow. lol

I'm guessing the Bills writer for ESPN has been feeling a little unappreciated lately.

MechDX

Da fuck? He's been subjected to some of the dumbest fucking morons in coaching, QBs and personnel evaluation. I'll always be on his side. I know that Dre is a badass. BoB hasn't proven shit

Calm down..

.Andre Johnson wasn't at minicamp today. O'Brien emphasizes it's voluntary, says "we just coach who shows up." #Texans

squicken

Calm down..

.Andre Johnson wasn't at minicamp today. O'Brien emphasizes it's voluntary, says "we just coach who shows up." #Texans

Ah. Should have been clear I was mad at BoB. I kind of took it that BoB was being passive aggressive towards Dre. I wish he was there, but it is ultimately voluntary

MechDX

Ah. Should have been clear I was mad at BoB. I kind of took it that BoB was being passive aggressive towards Dre. I wish he was there, but it is ultimately voluntary

Im positive it isn't a situation where Dre just didn't show. Almost guarantee he called ahead and said why he couldn't attend. Honestly he is probably the only one on the team that can possibly get away with it

MechDX

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout · 1m
Someone please light me on fire. RT @hawkblimp: ludicrous ? of the day: Any chance Bridgewater tanked pro-day purposely for any reason?

First its just a fire then the next thing you know your dick is gone.

Wes

venison crêpe
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout · 1m
Someone please light me on fire. RT @hawkblimp: ludicrous ? of the day: Any chance Bridgewater tanked pro-day purposely for any reason?

First its just a fire then the next thing you know your dick is gone.

I thought you said he tanked so the Texans could take him at #33?

MechDX

I thought you said he tanked so the Texans could take him at #33?

Well...yeah!....grain of salt Wes.

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley · 1m
I think Vrabel needs a jersey. /still in good shape //Linebacker group thin. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat · 56s
Whitney Mercilus received more coaching in this session from Vrabel than I have seen from prior camps. Vrabel is fun to watch. #Texans

Based Vrabel!

jmdajr

I can never get anything to load at espn.com. Videos, chats, etc....

ESPN The mock draft so far:
1. Buffalo Bills (via Houston): Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina;
2. St. Louis Rams: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn;
3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo;
4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M;
5. Oakland Raiders: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson;
6. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M;
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M;
8. Houston Texans (via Minnesota): Blake Bortles, QB, UCF;
9. Minnesota Vikings (via Houston): Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State;
10. Detroit Lions: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama;
11. Tennessee Titans: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina;
12. New York Giants: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan.

I could see the Browns moving up to get Manziel. It kind of adds up- an owner who has nothing to lose and desperate to add value and positivity to the franchise after a horrible beginning to his ownership, dwindling season ticket holders, an active free agency that makes it seem like they feel that they are a player or two away and a horrible QB problem that never gets addressed.

MechDX

Just killed some Popeyes

Damn that's cold mech, you don't want him to retire a Texan?

jeez...it was a joke. But I am the only Texan fan who will openly state: I would trade him at this point. he deserves it and we can still get something for him.

The mock draft so far: 1. Buffalo Bills (via Houston): Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina; 2. St. Louis Rams: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn; 3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo; 4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M; 5. Oakland Raiders: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson; 6. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M; 7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M; 8. Houston Texans (via Minnesota): Blake Bortles, QB, UCF; 9. Minnesota Vikings (via Houston): Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State; 10. Detroit Lions: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama; 11. Tennessee Titans: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina; 12. New York Giants: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan.

Thanks. I just opened Chrome and that works. It is a mess in there. need some sort of chart to follow and not a jumbled mess of words.

squicken

The mock draft so far: 1. Buffalo Bills (via Houston): Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina; 2. St. Louis Rams: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn; 3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo; 4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M; 5. Oakland Raiders: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson; 6. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M; 7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M; 8. Houston Texans (via Minnesota): Blake Bortles, QB, UCF; 9. Minnesota Vikings (via Houston): Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State; 10. Detroit Lions: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama; 11. Tennessee Titans: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina; 12. New York Giants: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan.

That's the problem for STL. If they go defense at 2, then they miss on all the offensive guys they want at 13. If they can't trade down from 2 then they have to draft offense and probably go CB at 13

What would yall rather have?

A 4 day draft split like:
Day 1: Picks 1-10
Day 2: Picks 11-32
Day 3: Rounds 2-4
Day 4: Rounds 5-7

held at the regular date in April

OR

A 2 day draft split like the old NFL Drafts held in the middle of May

Talon

OR

2-day draft was perfect. In HS, we woke up the morning after Prom and just watched the draft all day Saturday.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Buffalo doesn't make moves like that, not even for sure thing drafts. They sure as hell aren't going to do it for another DE when they've just locked up their DL for the foreseeable future.

ibtU4sGaNMvsOn.gif

Bread

Banned
Buffalo doesn't make moves like that, not even for sure thing drafts. They sure as hell aren't going to do it for another DE when they've just locked up their DL for the foreseeable future.
brady would be shaking in his uggs if you guys grabbed clowney though

would that be the best front 7 in the league? i'd say so.

OR

Two Day draft for sure. The 4 day format rewards later first round picks as they get another day to readjust

and idk if anybodys actually gonna watch day 4 when that rolls around.

MechDX

Josh Kendall ‏@JoshatTheState · 25m
Jadeveon Clowney spoke with Texans GM "two or three" times last week, Clowney said.

Hmmmm.....

Like one of the responses:

Sean Russell ‏@The_Seantourage · 19m
@DeepSlant how many times did Manziel speak to the GM last week?

Epic troll

Bread

Banned

OR

ew wtf

how dare you even bring this into consideration

you are temporarily banned from red sox nation

WanderingWind

brady would be shaking in his uggs if you guys grabbed clowney though

would that be the best front 7 in the league? i'd say so.

It probably already is. Problem is that the secondary is so terrible now that they'd be utterly stupid taking another DE. If they take Clowney, it'd be because he fell to 9 and he was the best player left on the board, but there is zero possibility they move up to take him.

ew wtf

how dare you even bring this into consideration

you are temporarily banned from red sox nation

Claws in kitty cat. Uncle Rog was the one who said that a 4 day draft was under consideration, I'm just the messenger.

If you have a problem, take it up with the NFL League Offices

People are upset in the MLB 14 thread. Maybe I shouldn't get the game the game this year.

I decided to skip it, sounds like it is a huge mess which is sad since I normally really like those games. Oh well maybe next year they will have a better handle on things.

Bread

Banned
It probably already is. Problem is that the secondary is so terrible now that they'd be utterly stupid taking another DE. If they take Clowney, it'd be because he fell to 9 and he was the best player left on the board, but there is zero possibility they move up to take him.
I want to see if a defense can succeed while only having a good front 7, you guys can test it out for me.

Claws in kitty cat. Uncle Rog was the one who said that a 4 day draft was under consideration, I'm just the messenger.

If you have a problem, take it up with the NFL League Offices
dont fuck wit me m8 ill giv u a right wollop

WanderingWind

Hey, we also have one linebacker worth 3 men. All we need is a secondary, a QB that doesn't break on contact, and another wideout and we may win up to 8 games!

Wynnebeck

Banned
Demovsky picked Justin Gilbert, CB for the Packers 1st round pick. Decent. Says he wanted to get Shazier, but wasn't willing to trade up to get him.

OR

Two day draft. Splitting the first round into two days is laughable excess.

Eleuin

Demovsky picked Justin Gilbert, CB for the Packers 1st round pick. Decent. Says he wanted to get Shazier, but wasn't willing to trade up to get him.
I'd be ecstatic with Gilbert

A lot of mocks recently have mosley going to the packers but I don't see him getting past Baltimore and Miami

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/06/jerry-jones-quarterback-is-the-strength-of-our-team/

The Cowboys’ first-string quarterback, Tony Romo, is rehabbing from back surgery, and their second-string quarterback, Kyle Orton, has skipped all of the team’s offseason work. But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says that the quarterback position is the strongest position on the roster.

“That’s the strength of our team, position-wise. Tony, Kyle Orton and then Weeden — we like him as a development project,” Jones said. “We feel good about Tony’s health. His back is everything we would want it to be at this time. So we feel very strong about the edge that our quarterbacking gives us.”

3124962-not+sure+if+serious+zod.gif

Top Bottom