• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

MechDX

If Rick Smith pulls off that proposed trade for the #1 pick that motherfucker has swag for days. Especially after getting ANYTHING for Schaub,

AP100805114897_20110425110855_320_240.JPG

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith · 2m
Jadeveon Clowney was just asked if #Texans will regret passing on him at No. 1. "I don't think they're going to pass," he said smiling. #NFL

WOW! And he got Clooney in on the smokescreen as well!

dionysus

Yaldog
Coca Cola wrote an interesting piece about this a couple years ago.
It basically went like this: they thought they are so famous, that they could save heavily on advertising. What happened is, that people stayed well aware of the brand, but simply didn´t buy the products as much anymore. There is even a sociological study, that coined the term "awareness hole" into which Coca Cola fell.
End of the story: Coca cola started to advertise again, and sales went up accordingly.
Big brands took note, and since then keep on advertising their stuff. Even if it means to not have a decline.

Ah this explains the endless string of beer bottling innovations: the mountains turn blue, the bottle neck has a spiral for the perfect poor, there is an air tab on our can, wide mouth cans, etc etc. Need to talk about something in the commercial.

Crisco

Banned
Good for Jimmy it is ridiculous that they are trying to pay him way less then he deserves over this stupid distinction.

Did they ever offer him a long term deal? Franchising him as a TE to get away with way underpaying him is a dirty move, but if he already said no to a fair long term offer, than that's on him.

Fox318

Coca Cola wrote an interesting piece about this a couple years ago.
It basically went like this: they thought they are so famous, that they could save heavily on advertising. What happened is, that people stayed well aware of the brand, but simply didn´t buy the products as much anymore. There is even a sociological study, that coined the term "awareness hole" into which Coca Cola fell.
End of the story: Coca cola started to advertise again, and sales went up accordingly.
Big brands took note, and since then keep on advertising their stuff. Even if it means to not have a decline.

Couldn't you also attribute that to Coke being more policy related to competitors and a wider potential buyer demographic?

Plus the potential buyer of beer is presumably older and most likely male. Unless the constant advertising of beer is supposed to get younger viewers to more accept the product as socially acceptable and help direct them to their product before first consumption. Remember this ad?

My god at the Nintendo financials. Mario Kart and Smash Brothers are both coming out in the next year and yet they are only forecasting 3.6 m WiiU's sold for the whole year. I am really worried that they are going to pull the plug on it sooner rather then later.

Hammer24

Banned
Couldn't you also attribute that to Coke being more policy related to competitors and a wider potential buyer demographic?

Not really. Ist simply a cautionary tale, that no matter how famous your brand and/or products are, less ads mean less sales. As simple as that.
Coke just set the prime example, being the best known brand worldwide.

Fox318

Not really. Ist simply a cautionary tale, that no matter how famous your brand and/or products are, less ads mean less sales. As simple as that.

Seems like that would be an interesting business study to read. Although doing some research it appears that Bud has cut costs of advertisng compared to before.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB124096182942565947

ShaneB

That sounds like usually what I do. I'm not a breakfast person and I tend to show up to work around 10 minutes late everyday. hahaha

Yeah, I keep doing it because no one says anything, since we are pretty lenient here. I do need to get up earlier though, at least to get a better breakfast and not rush so much.

Work keeps wanting me to do my job, and all I wanna do is talk sports...

Me too friend. Me too.

edit: My word Molly Qerim is looking extra wonderful in todays NFL AM videos. Phew.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Now regale us of the tale of New Coke.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ed Werder said:
Nobody in the NFL will be surprised if LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr picked before Texas A&M's Mike Evans.

I will be.

cdyhybrid

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 3m
Talked to Richard Sherman a few minutes ago. Said he believes sides are not far apart on a "very nice deal." #Seahawks

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

ESPN's Ed Werder on SportsCenter: "The dialogue between #Texans, #Falcons has been legitimate & continues as we speak."

More Werder: "Word on the street" is #Texans asking #Falcons for RG3-like haul to get from 6 to 1. (That was 3 1st-rounders & 2nd-rounder.)
Expand
I want Clowney but that's too much. :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Evans will be one dimensional, but very effective within that.

ODB is more versatile, but he won't be grabbing footballs that are 12 feet high.

Frankly, I think Evans is over rated. Mid first round talent, imo.

What is your opinion of Beckham?

Striker

LOL. I will be shocked if that happens.
Rumor of the Jets trading up and getting him. Giants also apparently covet him highly. Watkins will assuredly go between 3-5, but with Evans if he isn't taken by the Browns or Raiders, he could drop a bit if Tampa also passes on him. I expect two QB's in the top ten as well.

Evans isn't a good route runner and could have separation issues. I'd love to get Beckham, I think he'll be an all star...but I'd still pass up on him if I were the Lions. No WR in the first round.

MechDX

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 30s
The #Seahawks have announced a press conference for within the hour. The belief is it’s for a Richard Sherman extension. Sides closing in

bionic77

Evans isn't a good route runner and could have separation issues. I'd love to get Beckham, I think he'll be an all star...but I'd still pass up on him if I were the Lions. No WR in the first round.
According to Kas it is all wide receivers all day long for the Lions in the first and second round.

This is apparently the only option your team has because Stafford's weight off the field and failures on the field are only because of the coach and lack of talent around him.

cdyhybrid

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer · 49s
Seahawks are finishing up a new deal with Richard Sherman today that will make him the NFL's highest paid QB

Seahawks trade Sherman to Houston to play QB. Get #1 pick in return

Marital status changes claim the career of yet another QB. You had a good run, Russell.

According to Kas it is all wide receivers all day long for the Lions in the first and second round.

This is apparently the only option your team has because Stafford's weight off the field and failures on the field are only because of the coach and lack of talent around him.

Got to take advantage of Stafford's prime
rib
years.

jmdajr

Johnny Football to Jags?

Guess that makes things more exciting. Gata must be happy.

Texans only take Texas QBs from U of H.

Top Bottom