• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Wes

venison crêpe
Bob McGinn's mock draft is out. The second most accurate mocker of the past 5 years according to thehuddlereport's rankings. He also is the top rated Top 100 picked ranker too.

1. HOUSTON TEXANS: Jadeveon Clowney, OLB, South Carolina

Clowney played DE but would generally stand up as an OLB in the Texans' 3-4 defense. Secured 14 of 21 votes as draft's best player in Journal Sentinel poll of 21 national-oriented personnel people.

2. ST. LOUIS RAMS-a: Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M

Matthews isn't as highly regarded as Greg Robinson. However, he should be more ready to play, and coach Jeff Fisher coached his father, Bruce, for nine years in Tennessee.

3. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Beginning to look as if troubled WR Justin Blackmon might not play at all in 2015 because of NFL suspension. Cecil Shorts is Jaguars' only WR of note. GM David Caldwell might trade up late into first round for QB.

4. CLEVELAND BROWNS: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

Browns think more of QB Brian Hoyer than most. New GM Ray Farmer opens with Evans, who should be an effective counterpoint to WR Josh Gordon.

5. OAKLAND RAIDERS: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo

Third-year GM Reggie McKenzie, under considerable pressure from owner Mark Davis, resists taking a quarterback in favor of the second-best defensive player in the draft. Mack can help the Raiders win now.

6. ATLANTA FALCONS: Greg Robinson, T, Auburn

The Falcons are trying to become more physical on both sides of the ball. Robinson is one of the more dominating collegiate run blockers in years.

7. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

Coach Lovie Smith has the power in Tampa and uses it to take the best three-technique DT in the draft. Donald could be better than Tommie Harris was for Smith in Chicago.

8. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

Vikings try again at the most vital position with Bridgewater, probably the most ready to go quarterback on the list. Playing next two seasons outdoors at TCF Bank Stadium worked against taking Johnny Manziel.

9. BUFFALO BILLS: Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan

GM Doug Whaley considers Eric Ebron and Zack Martin before opting for Lewan, who would start immediately at RT and give Buffalo a formidable line.

10. DETROIT LIONS: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

The Lions have been thin at CB for more than a decade. The current depth chart lists Chris Houston, Rashean Mathis, Darius Slay and Bill Bentley. Help is on the way.

11. TENNESSEE TITANS: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

The Titans need new-look defensive players to fill out their transition from 4-3 to 3-4 under new D-coordinator Ray Horton. Barr, the pass rusher, gets the nod over a QB or ILB.

12. NEW YORK GIANTS: Zack Martin, T-G, Notre Dame

Injuries and disappointing performances have left the Giants' once-proud O-line in disarray. Drafting RT Justin Pugh in Round 1 a year ago helped. Martin will help even more.

13. ST. LOUIS RAMS: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

Some teams might want Manziel more than the Rams. But as a dome team with a quarterback, Sam Bradford, wearing out his welcome, selecting Manziel makes a lot of sense.

14. SAN FRANCISCO (from Chicago): Odell Beckham, WR, Louisiana State

Projected trade in which the 49ers, with six of the top 100 picks, deal several to the Bears after Aaron Donald, the Bears' obvious target, was taken early. 49ers GM Trent Baalke wants Beckham, possibly the best deep threat in the draft, to augment Anquan Boldin. Michael Crabtree will be entering the final year of his contract.

15. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

CB Ike Taylor is 34. Others on the cornerback depth chart are William Gay, Cortez Allen and Brice McCain. It's a position of dire need.

16. DALLAS COWBOYS: Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

The Cowboys were beyond hopeless on defense in 2013. They need a massive influx of talent, and Shazier has more of it (plus a better record of durability) than C.J. Mosley.

17. BALTIMORE RAVENS: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

The Ravens already added veteran Owen Daniels to pair with Dennis Pitta at tight end. Now they take Ebron to flex all over the formation and ease the pressure on Torrey Smith outside.

18. NEW YORK JETS: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

The Jets signed WR Eric Decker from Denver but he's not a real No. 1. Diminutive Jeremy Kerley led the Jets in receiving yards with a scant 523 last year, and the return game was below average. Cooks can help there, too.

19. MIAMI DOLPHINS: Ja'Wuan James, T, Tennessee

Desperate? You talk about desperate...new GM Dennis Hickey has Lions retread Jason Fox No. 1 at RT. James gets the nod over Alabama T Cyrus Kouandjio, who is off multiple team draft boards (knee).

20. ARIZONA CARDINALS: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida

GM Steve Keim could use a safety, an outside linebacker and an interior defensive lineman. When Carson Palmer (34) and Drew Stanton are at quarterback, taking Bortles and allowing him to watch for a year or two makes too much sense.

21. GREEN BAY PACKERS: C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama

The Packers need a safety but can't pass on Mosley, who would make it this far only if teams have reservations about his injury history. GM Ted Thompson seeks a safety (does he trade up?) a bit later.

22. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California

One of the capable cornerbacks might fall here. Instead, coach Chip Kelly and GM Howie Roseman draft someone they hope can replace DeSean Jackson.

23. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

WR Dwayne Bowe enters his eighth season and Donnie Avery is a marginal No. 2. Matthews provides the senior steadiness and size that should play well at Arrowhead.

24. CINCINNATI BENGALS: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

The Bengals entertain SS Calvin Pryor but opt for Fuller at cornerback. Leon Hall is coming off his second Achilles injury, backups Terence Newman and Pacman Jones are aging, and Dre Kirkpatrick is lingering near the bust line.

25. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: Jason Verrett, CB, Texas Christian

The Chargers also are looking for defensive line reinforcement. They can get that later. After the first five cornerbacks go, it's basically a graveyard at cornerback.

26. CLEVELAND BROWNS-b: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

Carr might go top 10. Carr might go second round. As the wild card, Carr's odyssey ends with a call from Farmer to compete with Hoyer.

27. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

The Saints would like a stretch-the-field receiver. With no one of that ilk short of Indiana's Cody Latimer remaining, Roby arrives with talent and problems.

28. CAROLINA PANTHERS: Joel Bitonio, T, Nevada

The Panthers dispatched coach Ron Rivera for a personal interview with Bitonio last month. With LT Jordan Gross having retired, the Panthers' depth chart shows third-year free agent Nate Chandler listed No. 1. Help!

29. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

The Patriots have no voids in their lineup. Bill Belichick has been grab-bagging too long in the back end.

30. CHICAGO BEARS (from San Francisco): Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

Projected trade finds GM Phil Emery acquiring a player he probably would have entertained at No. 14. The Bears' last top-notch safety was Mike Brown.

31. DENVER BRONCOS: Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State

You can never have enough pass rushers. That's what Lawrence does, either from a two- or three-point stance.

32. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota

Coach Pete Carroll loves to get after the quarterback. He also has gambled many times in the past on players with character flaws.

a – From Washington in March 9, 2012, trade of draft choices in which the Redskins selected QB Robert Griffin III; b – From Indianapolis in Sept, 18, 2013, trade for RB Trent Richardson.

minx

Wow that mock is pretty similar to the one I pulled out if my ass for the GAF mock thing on NFL.com. If the Bears trade down like that and get Haha I will be hahahaha all night.

I'll ask again for new page if anyone knows if I can watch draft on my phone tonight?

MechDX

I've been reminded that I said months ago I'd eat the front of the Chron sports page if Texans don't take QB in first round. I guess I will.--Pancakes McClain

Eat it you fat tub if lard

gutshot

Wow that mock is pretty similar to the one I pulled out if my ass for the GAF mock thing on NFL.com. If the Bears trade down like that and get Haha I will be hahahaha all night.

I'll ask again for new page if anyone knows if I can watch draft on my phone tonight?

AFAIK you need to have Verizon to watch video on the NFL app.

Vyroxis

Banned
I wouldnt be sad to see the Vikings get Bridgewater, but at the same time I still think going defense is more important. With the tools we have on offense we can win with Cassel, but only if our defense doesnt shit the bed repeatedly.

But then again, armchair GM is what I am.

gutshot

Will you guys be posting in here or the draft thread tonight? I need to know where to make fun of Mech when the Texans take JFF!

Maybe you can do it on WatchESPN?

BigAT

Go Giants

ultimategiantsgifasexg.gif

I wouldnt be sad to see the Vikings get Bridgewater, but at the same time I still think going defense is more important. With the tools we have on offense we can win with Cassel, but only if our defense doesnt shit the bed repeatedly.

But then again, armchair GM is what I am.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Except I would be sad to see the Vikings select any QB in the first. I don't think there's a huge power gap between the top guys and the lower rounds.

Morning all. Just here at work, but excited for DRAFT DAY!!!

Hope everyone's day goes great, and your team gets the first rounder you want
even gata.

DRAFT DAY IS FINALLY HERE, in the words of my pal Cajun, SQUEEEE

boyddancing1.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
What's the decorum going to be with regards tweeting picks? You know LaCanfora is going to be spamming his feed up with all the info he gets before the commissioner says anything.

Are we allowing it or avoiding it?

What's the decorum going to be with regards tweeting picks? You know LaCanfora is going to be spamming his feed up with all the info he gets before the commissioner says anything.

Are we allowing it or avoiding it?

Do we have a draft day thread, in OT we should spam there and have real convos here.

Crisco

Banned
Hoping a tackle or receiver the Panthers like falls to 28, but I'm preparing myself for a BPA defense pick. Gettleman has said over and over again that they won't reach in the first round for a particular position.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All draft discussion should be in the actual draft thread. Hate that shit when people are talking about the same shit in two different threads.

Bread

Banned
All draft discussion should be in the actual draft thread. Hate that shit when people are talking about the same shit in two different threads.
too bad im staying for away from that thread

i bet tabris will show up there

Morning all. Just here at work, but excited for DRAFT DAY!!!

Hope everyone's day goes great, and your team gets the first rounder you want
even gata.

DRAFT DAY IS FINALLY HERE, in the words of my pal Cajun, SQUEEEE

boyddancing1.gif

h5oaysV.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It's the Lions Super Bowl! I may leave work early to catch the draft. Anyone in the LA area know a good spot to watch the draft today?

And I was discussing this with a good buddy of mine last night, but the fact that Clowney essentially took a year off is a huge red flag to me. As someone who was a pretty good D-end back in my day, the fact that a football player put half effort just so he wouldn't get hurt is something that is blasphemous to anyone who truly loves the game. What's going to happen if whatever team he's on starts off 1-7? Is he going to take the rest of the season off?

/Al Bundy

It's going to be a very interesting day either way and this is one of the most exciting draft classes in a long while.

At this point if the Lions somehow don't trade up for either Watkins or Evans we should go with Odeell Beckham at #10.

I still think (hope) we get either Evans or Watkins but no matter who we get in the first they'll be another young piece in Restoring the Roar and bringing the Lombardi Trophy to Detroit.

Do we have a draft day thread, in OT we should spam there and have real convos here.

Agreed.

Happy JFF day everyone!
I find this obsession of yours so weird, especially considering how you were donning a Foles avatar for a good while last season and he exceeded expectations pretty remarkably. I know your stance on him but it still seems like you're jumping the gun a bit to me. Plus it's not like there is any guarantee that Manziel will end up being a better player.

gutshot

I find this obsession of yours so weird, especially considering how you were donning a Foles avatar for a good while last season and he exceeded expectations pretty remarkably. I know your stance on him but it still seems like you're jumping the gun a bit to me.

I don't think yankee ever donned a Foles avy. It's always been pictures of his kid, both in utero and out.

Konka was rocking the first Foles avatar here. I followed his lead. We've both been Foles supporters from the beginning. effzee was a late convert. yankee still has his doubts. Not sure about JABEE.

UberTag

Splitting things up across multiple threads rarely works out well.
But Wes has a point... will spoiler protocol be adhered to in the draft thread for Twitter leaks?

squicken

I agree with this. Seems silly to be so afraid of talking to non-regulars on one of the biggest days of the football calendar

e: I am trying to be spoiler free, so that's my vote. I know that concept hurts people deep in the soul so I'm not really worked up if people decide otherwise

I don't think yankee ever donned a Foles avy. It's always been pictures of his kid, both in utero and out.

Konka was rocking the first Foles avatar here. I followed his lead. We've both been Foles supporters from the beginning. effzee was a late convert. yankee still has his doubts. Not sure about JABEE.
This wasn't yh?

nickfolespaintingcrop.png

I find this obsession of yours so weird, especially considering how you were donning a Foles avatar for a good while last season and he exceeded expectations pretty remarkably. I know your stance on him but it still seems like you're jumping the gun a bit to me. Plus it's not like there is any guarantee that Manziel will end up being a better player.

I had a Foles avatar of him looking weird in a painting It was a funny avatar not a serious one. I am not a Foles guy at all. I started to let myself get some hope last year but then he was bad against the 32nd ranked Cowboys defense in a must win game and then even worse against the Saints in the playoffs. He is still young and could turn things around, but he has had 2 years now so I wonder how much better he can really get. The JFF stuff is partly tongue in cheek but I do like the idea of an athletic QB in this offense.

I had a Foles avatar of him looking weird in a painting It was a funny avatar not a serious one. I am not a Foles guy at all. I started to let myself get some hope last year but then he was bad against the 32nd ranked Cowboys defense in a must win game and then even worse against the Saints in the playoffs. He is still young and could turn things around, but he has had 2 years now so I wonder how much better he can really get. The JFF stuff is partly tongue in cheek but I do like the idea of an athletic QB in this offense.
That seems like a reasonable stance to me. I guess Foles and Tannehill are kind of in a similar boat right now. A lot to prove this upcoming season.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'll bring the topic up in the other thread.

I don't think it'll be something I'll use mod powers to enforce. Maybe just tell people if they want to post a pick that someone has said on twitter to use spoiler tags?

Can we have him?

Syrinx

That seems like a reasonable stance to me. I guess Foles and Tannehill are kind of in a similar boat right now. A lot to prove this upcoming season.

I liked what I saw of Nick Foles, but you at least have to figure that that stretch he had where he didn't throw a pick for like eight games (I forget what it was exactly) was a fluke. Not that he doesn't deserve credit for it, but you really can't be counting on him doing that again.

I'll bring the topic up in the other thread.

I don't think it'll be something I'll use mod powers to enforce. Maybe just tell people if they want to post a pick that someone has said on twitter to use spoiler tags?

This seems like a good idea.

squicken

1Clowney
2Robinson
3Mack
4Watkins
5Mathews

6. What does ATL do? I've seen Lewan but that seems like a pretty possible scenario that really screws the Falcons. I sorta think that Evans also goes top 5, but it's hard to know to who

gutshot

Your definition of bad is very strange considering he had QB ratings of 124.4 and 105.0 respectively in those two games. I know he left some plays out on the field, but he didn't play bad and he certainly wasn't the main reason we lost the Saints game.

Last season was essentially his rookie season, considering the disarray the team was in in his actual rookie season and all the turnover they incurred during that subsequent offseason. I'm excited to see what he can do this year with a full offseason as starter under his belt and an offense designed around him and his strengths.

And if he busts, then we go grab ourselves Mariota who is a better prospect than JFF anyway. Win win!

MechDX

Can't tell. Who are you picking? Oh wait...nevermind! #nopick “@BlueColtsMascot: Hey @TexansTORO1... first pick tonight? #NFLDraft @nfl”

Mascot trolling

Fuck the Colts. Eh Narag?

Top Bottom