• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Mindlog

Anyone have the ESPN stuff on? I don't know who the blonde lady covering the Jags is, but she's goddamn hilarious. "If something unexpected happens the Jags are ready. The coach is good at coaching draft picks so the team will take advantage of that." Real top quality content. She's like a kid out there and that's the kind of insight you must have when covering.... wait for it... THE National Football League.

Overall, the first round will probably be disappointing. Bucs GAF did the right thing drafting Watkins, but I doubt that happens tonight. Would be nice.

There's very little difference between the QBs projected to go in the Top 10 and those projected to go between 20 and 35.

In fact, every single mock has had every single QB drop to the 20+ region at some point in the last week alone.

I wouldn't pass up on an elite talent at the top for that.

You don't need another elite receiver, though. How many teams have the kind of secondary to warrant having another #1 on the other side?

It makes sense to get the best QB in the draft this year (mock drafts and ratings are irrelevant- Farmer knows which QB separated himself from the rest), because they are serious about winning now which means they likely won't have a top 5 pick in the next draft. This is a deep draft and they have a lot of picks, and they do not want to be picking a QB next year in desperation if this season puts us at a top pick in the draft again.

There just doesn't seem to be many downsides to doing it- they can still get good starters at corner and WR even if they traded picks to move up.

Wes

venison crêpe
You don't need another elite receiver, though. How many teams have the kind of secondary to warrant having another #1 on the other side?

It makes sense to get the best QB in the draft this year (mock drafts and ratings are irrelevant- Farmer knows which QB separated himself from the rest), because they are serious about winning now which means they likely won't have a top 5 pick in the next draft. This is a deep draft and they have a lot of picks, and they do not want to be picking a QB next year in desperation if this season puts us at a top pick in the draft again.

There just doesn't seem to be many downsides to doing it- they can still get good starters at corner and WR even if they traded picks to move up.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I just think Farmer is playing the odds with one of Manziel, Bortles, Carr or Bridgewater being at 26, or even higher than that and using a 3rd or 4th to trade up and get him later.

I think there are positives and negatives to both stances that are pretty equal. I'm just siding with taking the talent first no matter the position in this instance.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think I found what I want for xmas

FONzHXeh.png

You'd better keep that bag behind the tees and have to hit behind me on every shot, because if I see that thing in front of me I'm changing my aiming point. ;)

squicken

Another Belichick disciple sent out to destroy another franchise. Only conclusion to draw if they give up anything substantial for Mallett

Watching the draft tonight while packing for a 7 day cruise. Wife graduates with her Masters tomorrow. It's going to be a good few days.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I just think Farmer is playing the odds with one of Manziel, Bortles, Carr or Bridgewater being at 26, or even higher than that and using a 3rd or 4th to trade up and get him later.

I think there are positives and negatives to both stances that are pretty equal. I'm just siding with taking the talent first no matter the position in this instance.

We'll know a lot about Farmer and Pettine after tonight, that's for sure. I'm hoping they have the balls to get ahead of the problem and make sure we are developing an elite QB. It's way too obvious what the team's problem has been, I have to believe they aren't underestimating the effect our poor drafts have had on the team, many of those drafts with the perspective of taking a 'decent' QB in the late 1st to 3rd.

Colasante

Peter King just said that even if the Texans do trade for Mallett, it won't be the only QB move the Texans make today or tomorrow. So if the Mallett trade does happen, it'll be for a mid to low round pick, I'm guessing.

Curran's article

Odds that the Texans will, indeed, take Jadeveon Clowney with the No. 1 pick in the draft may have just gotten a lot stronger.

A source tells me that a Ryan Mallett-to-the-Texans trade may completed soon. According to what we hear, the Patriots will receive a third-round pick in return.

If true -- and remember, Houston coach Bill O'Brien was offensive coordinator in Foxboro during Mallett's rookie season if 2011 -- that would theoretically end the Texans' quarterback search and free them up to take Clowney.

Poor Texans fans. Mallett has done nothing in the NFL. They would be better off trading for Cousins.

I disagree. I liked his potential coming out, and BOB coached him when he was with the Pats. If he wants him, that's a pretty good seal of approval. I'm sure the Pats would like to hold on to him, but he's a FA after the year so they just need to get something for him and groom another QB to take over.

Top Bottom