• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

dq3loqgvmldnhrth4lq6.png
Distribution of mentions of players in round 1 last night.

Wes

venison crêpe
@bhofheimer_espn: ESPN's 6.8 overnight rtg for #NFLDraft is +48% from Rd 1 in 2013 (4.6).

Get ready for another May draft folks.

squicken

Don't blame the players for the media's ridiculousness. Neither Tebow or Manziel or really most people who have been overexposed by the media did much to encourage it unless you blame them for answering reporters questions and attending mandatory press conferences put on by their teams.

They aren't doing stuff like Lebron and his self-promoted decision press conference. Manziel is a "villain" because that is the angle ESPN slants their coverage. Honestly, what has the boy done that other 19 and 20 year olds wouldn't have done in his situation? Damn, he slept in at some stupid worthless QB camp. He drinks every now and then. He sold some autographs, which I don't even consider a moral failing just a violation of some stupid ass NCAA rules. He has taken pictures with hot women. All indications are in what is really important he is dedicated to his craft and he doesn't do anything during the season to jeopardize his playing time and ability.

Great post. People confuse their hate of the media with the hate towards the player. I find some things about JFF, but I think people who aren't fans let those things magnify b/c of the media attention

Hope we take Lee unless an unbelievable trade down option shows itself

Yea, the defense is ass but nobody ever complained about having a luxury of wide outs in today's NFL and we looked good against Seattle despite our defensive issues before Griff went down.

dionysus

Yaldog
First time I've ever been kind of annoyed with Gruden. I usually love him but man he would not shut up about Manziel. Every single pick he was brought up by Gruden.

Producers probably told him too. Also realize that we give too much credit to the discernment of the average ESPN viewer, ESPN wouldn't do this if it didn't work.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Texans may end up with the two best players.
Who would the second be?

Think they trade for Mallett, although it would be hilarious if they drafted Carr
God no, I want no part of either of those
Think I'll actually watch ESPN for the first time in ever.
Why, NFL Network is way better.

Mayock actually nailed like the first 10 picks, accurately predicted Manziel drafted outside the top 15 same with bridgewater.

Vyroxis

Banned
Still feeling good about last night's draft. Realistically I think Barr will be a legit starter for 10+ years. I'm sort of worried that Bridgewater's ceiling is somewhere around Sam Bradford tier, but that's infinitely better than what we've got. Good value at 32.

Bridgewater will be good. Hey may never be Brady, but he will be a worthwhile QB after a year. Way better than Bradford, and shitting all over the corpse of Ponders career.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Draft pulled a massive 6.8 rating last night. Insane. Highest ever.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
2nd Mario Golf 3DS Greg Cup results:

1. XiaNaphryz -19
2. Issac -17
3. zemekis -11
4. c1 -7

Pulled ahead at the last minute again over Darkest Red to retain the trophy.

zlCfzR58PHIAd7kT7B

Qj6o7ZP.png

3rd Greg Cup tournament is up, Mountain Course. Tourney ends Monday 5/12 at midnight Pacific. Code is 13-1984-3457-6356.

Greg

God dammit, draft is going to be in June next year.
AIVjbEP.jpg

2nd Mario Golf 3DS Greg Cup results:

1. XiaNaphryz -19
2. Issac -17
3. zemekis -11
4. c1 -7

Pulled ahead at the last minute again over Darkest Red to retain the trophy.

3rd Greg Cup tournament is up, Mountain Course. Tourney ends Monday 5/12 at midnight Pacific. Code is 13-1984-3457-6356.
can you set the amount of tourney attempts? if so, limit the 4th tournament to 1 attempt to switch things up a bit

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
They aren't doing stuff like Lebron and his self-promoted decision press conference. Manziel is a "villain" because that is the angle ESPN slants their coverage. Honestly, what has the boy done that other 19 and 20 year olds wouldn't have done in his situation? Damn, he slept in at some stupid worthless QB camp. He drinks every now and then. He sold some autographs, which I don't even consider a moral failing just a violation of some stupid ass NCAA rules. He has taken pictures with hot women. All indications are in what is really important he is dedicated to his craft and he doesn't do anything during the season to jeopardize his playing time and ability.

I think my post history shows that I really dislike unwarranted and unearned arrogance (unless you really value college experience/awards....I'm primarily an NFL fan so I don't). As far as I'm concerned he's a young talent who hasn't proven anything yet like everyone else in this draft. You can blame his age for things but then why isn't every player this polarizing or needing to be defended for the things they've done? You can't put this solely on the media, Manziel definitely earned his reputation. Did people have the same questions about a guy like Luck or RG3? Weren't both of those guys high profile dudes under a microscope? Or is it possible that character issues caused Manziel to fall to 22?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Bridgewater, but he's gone!

I actually woudnt have minded that!

So i get into work today and my coworker is like jacked up about clowney, and im like who's gonna play quarterback? His response is defense wins championships. I'm like -_-

I loved the fun facts NFL Network had last night. Texans have spent 9 of 12 first round picks on Defense, and their the only team since 2006 to draft a defensive lineman first overall... the last team oh wait, the Texans did it in 06. No one else has done it since 2000. That should tell you something right there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
can you set the amount of tourney attempts? if so, limit the 4th tournament to 1 attempt to switch things up a bit

Unfortunately no, the only real way to try and limit that is to put in a super short end time (i.e. 30 minutes). If people can agree on a date/time and get in a score in that small window, that may actually work.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Crime down! business up! 10 years of prosperity in Cleveland!

Also reminds me that the only reason I'd like Manziel to succeed is that I have a soft spot for the Browns. I have absolutely nothing against that franchise and seeing them have modest success would be great for the game.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Still feeling good about last night's draft. Realistically I think Barr will be a legit starter for 10+ years. I'm sort of worried that Bridgewater's ceiling is somewhere around Sam Bradford tier, but that's infinitely better than what we've got. Good value at 32.

I'm pretty salty you guys got Bridgewater. I'm definitely one of those rolling my eyes at a "bad pro day" or whatever. He's already the second best QB in the NFC North after Rodgers.

I'm pretty salty you guys got Bridgewater. I'm definitely one of those rolling my eyes at a "bad pro day" or whatever. He's already the second best QB in the NFC North after Rodgers.

Whaaaat? That's crazy talk. Say what you will about Stafford, but he is a proven commodity. No unproven rookie comes in and immediately overtakes a guy with Staffords proven track record. Same goes for Cutler.

Greg

Whaaaat? That's crazy talk. Say what you will about Stafford, but he is a proven commodity. No unproven rookie comes in and immediately overtakes a guy with Staffords proven track record.
...if stats are the commodity

even I could put up decent numbers with Megatron

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Whaaaat? That's crazy talk. Say what you will about Stafford, but he is a proven commodity. No unproven rookie comes in and immediately overtakes a guy with Staffords proven track record. Same goes for Cutler.

Are you referring to his proven track record at Chipotle maybe. Or his knack for injuries, losing, sidearm throws, and jump passes to the best receiver since Jerry Rice?

Cutler you may have a point with, maybe 2a and 2b.

dionysus

Yaldog
I think my post history shows that I really dislike unwarranted and unearned arrogance (unless you really value college experience/awards....I'm primarily an NFL fan so I don't). As far as I'm concerned he's a young talent who hasn't proven anything yet like everyone else in this draft. You can blame his age for things but then why isn't every player this polarizing or needing to be defended for the things they've done? You can't put this solely on the media, Manziel definitely earned his reputation. Did people have the same questions about a guy like Luck or RG3? Weren't both of those guys high profile dudes under a microscope? Or is it possible that character issues caused Manziel to fall to 22?

Why do you think he is more arrogant than the average CFB star? I guess my point is when someone gets as much media coverage as Manziel it is hard to separate the player from the annoyance over people never shutting up about him.

Also, the media is very good at building narratives. Lets take arrogance.
-They will selectively quote all statements that indicate arrogance, and never mention more humble statements
-They will ask trap questions that one can only appear arrogant in answering. For example, "Do you feel teams that pass on you are making a mistake?" Whereas for another player they would ask a less loaded question like, "What do you think you can contribute to teams that are considering you in the draft?"
-They will non-stop play footage of celebrations on the field any time they need to fill in with a clip. They won't play clips of a player showing encouragement to teammates, etc. Lets take Manziel. They play two types of clips for manziel. Him celebrating and him salvaging a busted play with his athleticism. Why don't they play clips of him sitting calmly in the pocket, or him getting sacked? Or him calmly talking to coaches or the thousands of other things he does in a game? Because it doesn't fit the narrative they have built about him.

The media has a lot of power in influencing perception. See how they hid MJs or Tiger's flaws. They can go both ways. I think it is fair to say about any player with a whole lot of media coverage is that they aren't as bad as the coverage implies if they are negative, and they probably aren't as good either as the coverage implies if the coverage is positive.

Top Bottom