• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

UberTag

Love that we suckered the 49ers on Stevie Johnson. Nice work.
(Actually, he's still an upgrade for their sorry lot of guys.)

Been spending the afternoon watching some OBJ tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g

Though the offensive line needs to be addressed, its really hard not to like this pick. Reese got himself a faster and healthier version of Hakeem Nicks. I've read some reactions from Giants fans and the media bitching about taking a 5'11 receiver with the 12th pick but reality has to set in sometime, right?

He's an inch shorter than Hakeem
He jumped 2.5 inches higher than Hakeem on his vert
He ran an official 4.4 to Hakeem 4.6

Hakeem played faster on the field than that 40 time, IMO and Beckham plays bigger than his size would lead you to believe. He's pretty spectacular at grabbing throws at their high point and is already a pretty polished route runner.

Curious to see if the Giants use him as a punt/kick returner considering how many of those guys we signed in the offseason.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Do they have 18 picks next year, too? The 9er's are going to cut a lot of decent players during training camp.

steve-johnson-tweet.jpg

Honest to fucking god. How are the 9'ers doing this shit?! First Boldin and now this. Stevie is an elite WR for a 4th rounder maybe a 3rd rounder.

Arrington played like 10 snaps at DE and was pretty elite. So I say we don't call him a DB anymore.

Brandon Boykin got a sack 2 years ago so I think he should be an OLB from now on.

LJ11

Knew they would move him to SF. I'm really sad, but happy for him too. Didn't mesh with the staff, he can be out there at times with the stuff he says/does, but I love him.

Tamanon

Banned
Fuck, that's a trade I wish the Jags could've done.

Actually, I don't know his contract situation, he might not stick around long enough to matter in the long run.

9ers should have a great WR group next year, Stevie, Crabby, and Boldin are all really good. It is definitely put up or shut up time for Kap.

UberTag

Knew they would move him to SF. I'm really sad, but happy for him too. Didn't mesh with the staff, he can be out there at times with the stuff he says/does, but I love him.
Yeah, Stevie was never going to work out in Buffalo. Glad we got something for him at least. I'll miss his entertaining Twitter account.

What's your wish list for the Bills at Pick 41?

Seems like most people are projecting Tight End. But do we go with Austin Seferian-Jenkins (potential, visited)? Jace Amaro (best 2013, didn't visit)? Or Troy Niklas (best all-around TE with run blocking ability that Chandler lacks, visited)?

Or do they go with a borderline first-round grade right tackle candidate like Cyrus Kouandjio (doubtful he slips past Washington at 34), Joel Bitonio or Morgan Moses?

Colasante

Can anyone explain to me why this is a good move for the Bills?

Clears cap space, adds picks for a rebuilding team, they have faith Robert Woods will make the leap next year, they're a run-heavy team anyway. It's definitely not a great move, but I don't think it's as bad as Ravens shipping out Boldin for a 6th. Bills have a nice collection of receivers with potential.

Yeah, Stevie was never going to work out in Buffalo. Glad we got something for him at least. I'll miss his entertaining Twitter account.

Seems like most people are projecting Tight End. But do we go with Austin Seferian-Jenkins (potential, visited)? Jace Amaro (best 2013, didn't visit)? Or Troy Niklas (best all-around TE with run blocking ability that Chandler lacks, visited)?

Or do they go with a borderline first-round grade right tackle candidate like Cyrus Kouandjio (doubtful he slips past Washington at 34), Joel Bitonio or Morgan Moses?

Eagles are gonna draft Niklas to be a WR and fill the hole left by DJax.

rando14

9ers should have a great WR group next year, Stevie, Crabby, and Boldin are all really good. It is definitely put up or shut up time for Kap.

Kaep will be able to throw to Stevie, Carbcakes, Boldin, and Vernon Davis. Meanwhile Russ will be throwing to Baldwin, Kearse, and whatever 4th rounder WR they draft lullzzzzz*

*This takes into account the certainty that Rice and Percy are injured

cdyhybrid

Kaep will be able to throw to Stevie, Carbcakes, Boldin, and Vernon Davis. Meanwhile Russ will be throwing to Baldwin, Kearse, and whatever 4th rounder WR they draft lullzzzzz*

I'm not worried. We seemed to do alright against the best WR group in the league last season.

LJ11

I want Amaro.

Hope Steve kills it with the Niners, he's a good run blocker too. Wouldn't have made the move myself but it's best for both parties. No use keeping him if you're going to minimize his role and just cut the following season. Did right by him to be honest. Love Steve. :(

UberTag

Doug Baldwin is the MVP of your receiving corps. Dude deserves more respect.

I want Amaro.

Hope Steve kills it with the Niners, he's a good run blocker too. Wouldn't have made the move myself but it's best for both parties. No use keeping him if you're going to minimize his role and just cut the following season. Did right by him to be honest. Love Steve. :(
I agree with the Amaro call. Makes the most sense if the Bills are in "win now" mode.

we are giving blame some really good pieces to work with!

also if nothing else stevie has made my madden team stronger! despite the fact that, much like kap, i am a 1 read passer. but stevie could be that read!

Why are they trading a pick next year for him? They need to unload some of the ones they have this year. Well I guess they can always trade a 4th this year for one next year or something.

LJ11

also if nothing else stevie has made my madden team stronger! despite the fact that, much like kap, i am a 1 read passer. but stevie could be that read!

Sherman won't match up with him, but he'll give that secondary trouble, you want to come up and press, come get some, because he'll shake you off like a wet dog shakes off water.

cajunator

Banned
Been spending the afternoon watching some OBJ tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g

Though the offensive line needs to be addressed, its really hard not to like this pick. Reese got himself a faster and healthier version of Hakeem Nicks. I've read some reactions from Giants fans and the media bitching about taking a 5'11 receiver with the 12th pick but reality has to set in sometime, right?

He's an inch shorter than Hakeem
He jumped 2.5 inches higher than Hakeem on his vert
He ran an official 4.4 to Hakeem 4.6

Hakeem played faster on the field than that 40 time, IMO and Beckham plays bigger than his size would lead you to believe. He's pretty spectacular at grabbing throws at their high point and is already a pretty polished route runner.

Curious to see if the Giants use him as a punt/kick returner considering how many of those guys we signed in the offseason.

I watched him a lot at LSU games. He made some ridiculous catches when Zach would freak out and throw a duck. Every now and then Eli throws those too and Odell will make up for that a lot of times.

Colasante

Sherman won't match up with him, but he'll give that secondary trouble, you want to come up and press, come get some, because he'll shake you off like a wet dog shakes off water.

Watkins will be a tough cover as well, but I am definitely happy Johnson is out of the division. I'm sure he would have given Revis trouble as always.

MechDX

Clowney had lunch with Bob McNair and was being shown around by LB coach Mike Vrabel when I saw him earlier. #Texans

#Vrabel

ShaneB

=(

Me too. I throw to my TE about 90% of the time.

supposedly the pats offered a straight up 3rd round pick this year for stevie and the bills said no thanks. can't really blame them there... i get that you want max value but i don't believe in trading players within the division. especially someone like stevie

Revis couldn't cover him because Revis is overrated as fuck.

Nah, Revis couldn't cover him because Stevie is that good. I pray to the baby Jezus that Stevie wrecks Dick's shit up next season.

supposedly the pats offered a straight up 3rd round pick this year for stevie and the bills said no thanks. can't really blame them there... i get that you want max value but i don't believe in trading players within the division. especially someone like stevie

BILLS PLS! What have we ever done to you guys?! I would have loved Stevie, even if he wanted North Korea to nuke Foxborough.

Top Bottom