• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

MechDX

gXgeslZ.png

Thank you sir. I needed some Chocolate Thunder to brighten up the place

Raiders have two of the top 16 picks in the 4th. I think they trade back with at least one of those because they don't have 5th or 6th rounders, but I'd love to try and grab Pierre Desir and DaQuan Jones

MechDX

I'm shit at doing outlines - mine are outsourced to Bucket for that reason because I don't know what kind of black magic he uses to keep it so smooth

I don't want to disrespect you and BOB with a jagged avatar!

All good just have to bribe him with some Zima or something.

HEY BUCKET!

So the Giants draft philosophy this offseason seems to have taken to heart some pretty damning comments from John Mara himself:

But Mara’s endorsement of Reese’s performance on draft day — arguably the biggest day of the year for a front office that believes in building through the draft — was still far from ringing. He noted “we obviously overvalued certain people” in recent drafts. He lamented some of the “calculated risks” the Giants had taken and some of the “bad luck” they’ve had with second- and third-rounders. As a result, he said, “We have not gotten the production that we wanted out of certain draft slots.

Has the system broken down? Mara after last season said: “I still think we have as good an evaluation system and group of people here as anybody,’’ but did wonder aloud if the Giants had become too risk-oriented when selecting players “thinking that if we hit on this guy, maybe we’ll knock it out of the park.’’

This is a team that could take a flyer on a Marvin Austin in the second round and hope that they hit because they had depth along the defensive line. That same defensive line allowed them to toy around with mid tolate round linebackers that amounted to nothing and could help mask those issues. They could toy around with WR projects like Ramses Barden when they had the likes of Manningham, Smith, Nicks, etc.

After three rounds of the 2014 draft and after one of the busier free agency periods for the team in the last 10 years, you have three players:

Odell Beckham Jr. WR
Weston Richburg C
Jay Bromley DT

That have three important things in common:

- All three were team leaders. Richburg and Bromley were team captains at their respective schools. I believe Beckham was as well. Mature prospects with no off the field issues.
- All three players have relatively clean bills of health. All have started a vast majority of the games they have played in college with no significant injuries.
- Production, production, production. Of course you want that out of your prospects but the Giants were willing to take JPP with the 15th overall pick with little production purely based on his being an athletic freak with a major ceiling. All three players bring major college production to the table (1200 yards/8TD's for Beckham, 50 quality games as a starter at C for Richburg and 41 tackles/10 sacks for Bromley)

Safe, clean and productive players for the top three picks. It's pretty interesting to witness and as a diehard Giants fan I can't argue with the direction after watching the middle of the draft be a black hole of "could be awesome" talent that amounts to absolutely nothing.

I'm curious to see if Reese and company look to take more risks with the bottom of the draft making players like Telvin Smith who failed a drug test a viable option in the later rounds as an example. Frankly, that's what the latter draft picks are for.

squicken

So not a great day for the Browns yesterday. Wow. They literally gave the fans about 18 hours of happiness. Looking at Blackmon, it's hard not to see that for Gordon. Some guys just love the weed so much it's all they want

MechDX

Xavier Su’a-Filo has his priorities in line:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...Sua-filo/84fece54-09f9-4b6f-aa20-7f4df8fb9b21

on how familiar he is with Houston) “Yeah I have been. I can’t wait to eat at Pappadeaux. But yes I’ve been to Houston before. I’ve been to Vidor, Texas right up near Houston, I’ve been to the fifth ward and we came down to play Rice, and so it was neat. The whole state of Texas is pretty sweet but I’m looking forward to eating at Pappadeaux and Whataburger.”

My man!

So Su’a-Filo player he looks up to is Logan Mankins, CJ Fiedorowicz wants to be the next Gronk and Louis Nix III likes to watch film of Vince Wilfork. #PATSSOUTH

Seriously these 3 picks and Clowney all scream "change". All these picks are brutal, hard hitting players that love contact. We have been such a finesse team under Kubiak this is completely new and refreshing and Smith and O'Brien are making a huge culture change down on Kirby. BOB wants a hard hitting physical and versatile team and damn if he isn't putting that together.

Hunter S.

Raiders have two of the top 16 picks in the 4th. I think they trade back with at least one of those because they don't have 5th or 6th rounders, but I'd love to try and grab Pierre Desir and DaQuan Jones

Shame for them , they probably will not develop that championship work ethic and clean non-thug living they might learn elsewhere. Good luck brah!

cashman

Banned
So not a great day for the Browns yesterday. Wow. They literally gave the fans about 18 hours of happiness. Looking at Blackmon, it's hard not to see that for Gordon. Some guys just love the weed so much it's all they want

It's a damn shame that these sports leagues care so much about it.

Hunter S.

It's a damn shame that these sports leagues care so much about it.

On a very serious note, if recall correctly, at least six states will try to legalize weed in the next four years. Arizona, California again, Oregon again and a few North East States. Seems like a good chance considering others have been setting the example that legalization is mostly a positive thing. #FreeJosh

Edit: Alaska too. The one that seems the most likely to pass to me.

Xavier Su’a-Filo has his priorities in line:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...Sua-filo/84fece54-09f9-4b6f-aa20-7f4df8fb9b21

My man!

So Su’a-Filo player he looks up to is Logan Mankins, CJ Fiedorowicz wants to be the next Gronk and Louis Nix III likes to watch film of Vince Wilfork. #PATSSOUTH

Seriously these 3 picks and Clowney all scream "change". All these picks are brutal, hard hitting players that love contact. We have been such a finesse team under Kubiak this is completely new and refreshing and Smith and O'Brien are making a huge culture change down on Kirby. BOB wants a hard hitting physical and versatile team and damn if he isn't putting that together.

whataburger is trash compared to in n out

SUPREME1

Banned
3 month ban finally over. Happened a week after I came off a month ban.

Mod said I wouldn't last if I couldn't learn to post correctly. This after being here since '07 (iirc).

What's worse is I essentially called a dude's taste in women into question after he said some chick was ugly (a miss universe beauty pageant hopeful from Venezuela ffs) and I get hit with 3 months.

Such bullshit.

Oh well, moving on.

Broncos went into this draft raw dog. Dry.

This team is not last year's team.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
39NlfzD.png

From this point on, I'll just be posting the last 5 update links. As you go through the older posts, you can find links to earlier updates there.

Previously, in NFL-GAF Prison Chronicles:

NFL-GAF Prison part 29.
NFL-GAF Prison part 30.
NFL-GAF Prison part 31.
NFL-GAF Prison part 32.
NFL-GAF Prison part 33.

-----

PRISONER STATUS
Released: Cloudy
Released (Parole): Tom Penny, Slo
Missing/Escaped: None
Missing/Escaped & Recaptured: Godslay
Dead: None

The last alpha version update gave a grade to your inmates in 4 different categories, which combined with the list of convictions provides a % chance of the likelihood of that inmate committing another crime after being released. Let's take a look at how all our prisoners look.

Kave_Man has one of the lowest Re-offending chance grades in the facility. He's been serving for a long time, doesn't get into a lot of trouble, and does just enough work to be at least somewhat useful.

The Frankman has the highest Reform grade of everyone due to his frequent participation in available reform programs. He has a low security grade however due to his continual involvement in various incidents.

Thanks to his bugged penalty earlier where he was stuck in solitary for days and days, Fantomex has a super high punishment and security grade. He never had a chance to get involved with any of the reform programs, so no surprise he has a 0 grade there.

RBH meanwhile has one of the lowest security grades due to getting away with murder in the last riot.

Almost everyone in the prison has a health rating of 0, except for the few people who most recently got injured trying to instigate a fight. LJ11 is one of them.

FMT's ludicrously long list of convictions will likely keep his Re-offending chance super-high for a long time, no matter what his other grades turn out to be.

Coldplay has pretty average grades. Served a decent amount of his sentence, did a bit of reform programs, and isn't considered too much of a security risk.

SpinDasher has a decently high Punishment score, but his tendency to get involved in illegal activity keeps his security rating low.

Dutch has mostly average ratings, though is still considered a slight security risk.

chuckddd has an average Reform grade, but has a low Punishment rating resulting in his higher Re-offending chance.

MechDX has mostly average grades all around, aside from the lower security rating for getting into trouble a couple times.

Mostly average ratings for JABEE.

Despite getting involved in a couple reform programs, TheBatman's low security rating causes his Re-offending chance to rise into the 90s.

DM has a high Reform grade, but he's considered a security risk given how many times he's been caught with contraband or trying to escape. The fact that he usually doesn't get too much of a severe penalty most of the time also means a lower Punishment rating.

Average stats for Nori Chan.

Average Reform rating, unknownstranger's Re-offending chance is a lot higher due to the lower Punishment score and his convictions.

squicken is tied for the lowest Re-offending chance in the prison. He's served a lot of time, regularly participates in reform programs, and pretty much follows the rules.

Greg's been mostly a slacker when it comes to work, not really doing well in the reform programs when he decides to attend, and always getting into some sort of trouble.

Rorschach has gotten into enough incidents during his time that he's somehow considered one of the biggest security risks in the facility. Or his rep as a Raiders fan is getting the best of him.

Tragiccomedy has taken advantage of the reform programs available and has an above average grade there. He's still early in his sentence though, hence the low Punishment rating.

Buckethead hasn't really done much in his time in the prison so far.

Fox318 hasn't really done much either, though he has a slightly lower security rating due to getting caught up in a couple incidents.

yankeehater has a pretty good Reform grade, but after the last riot he still has a pretty poor Security rating.

Unsurprisingly, BlackGhost's constant violent outbursts and subsequent beatdowns has resulted in a pretty high Punishment rating and pretty low Security rating.

cajunator has some decent ratings, but his few incidents involving stabbing people with forks results in the slightly lower Security grade.

WedgeX has the highest Reform grade in the facility thanks to his passing the Carpenter Apprenticeship. He is still considered a big security risk due to his actions in the last riot.

Futurevoid also is rated as a high security risk due to his various run-ins with inmates and guards.

Godslay's security rating likely got reset to 0 after coming back into the prison after his escape. He scores pretty high in the Reform category though.

KaYotiX has served most of his sentence and, due to spending most of his time in the Holding Cell, has a pretty high Security rating and is not considered a risk at all.

Grover Cleveland isn't considered much of a risk either.

Doomsayer, one of the original inmates, has mostly stayed out of trouble in his time here. Though he hasn't really participated much in any of the Reform programs.

Jason "jakncoke" Bay has a pretty high Re-offending chance for a minimum security inmate.

Alligatorjandro has an even higher chance than jakncoke.

Sanjuro hasn't been much of a risk since his arrival.

Not quite the same case with tmdorsey. He has for the most part stayed away from any Reform programs, failing the one course he attempted.

Not much to say about Bowser's stats.

snesfreak has served most of his sentence, contributing to his higher Punishment score.

Despite his prison ratings making him look like not much of a threat, Lunchbox's long list of convictions give him a high chance of being a repeat offender.

Same case with Bread, though it's slightly lower.

ConradCervantes is just starting his sentence, so he doesn't have much of a rating on anything.

Nothing really notable about wienke yet during his short time here.

Likewise with woodchuck.

Moving over to the max security wing, Tamanon has served quite a long time already. He hasn't really caused any trouble yet in his short time here.

Not much to say about cdyhybrid yet either.

BigAT has served most of his sentence without incident, resulting in a really low chance of being a repeat offender.

Kastrioti has a pretty high Punishment and Security rating right now due to being harshly penalized for the handful of offenses he's done so far in his prison stint here.

Trejo's conviction history is the main contributor to his Re-offending chance number.

Pretty average numbers across the board for Squall ASF.

The Artful Dodger hasn't really done much of note so far, but his criminal record results in a really high Re-offender chance, tied with FMT!

Konka has a surprisingly low Re-offender chance, tied with squicken for the lowest in the prison.

Not much to say about Matrix so far, though he has a high repeat offender chance due to his conviction record.

Not a lot to say about DeaconKnowledge either, though he's apparently not seen as much of a security risk yet despite many suspecting him of being one of the contraband suppliers.

Decent grades for Big Baybee, but his criminal record is the main factor for his high Re-offending chance. His recent scrap and recovery also causes his low Health rating.

Another case of okay rating, but super high Re-offense chance due to conviction record. He's also tied for highest with Squall and FMT.

Not much to say about bionic77 yet either in the short time he's been here.

Same deal with eznark...

...as well as sf2fanatic.

BannedEpisode has served a decent amount of his sentence, but still has a high repeat offender task due to his record.

Not much to say about Tabris so far, he doesn't appear to be much of a risk in his short time here.

Same thing applies to Narag...

...and to NomarTyme also.

That quick stint vas_a_morir had with a guard and tazer gun is the main reason behind his high Punishment and Security scores, as well as his slightly lower Health rating.

Not much to say about MrBob yet.

Vyer's another situation where his criminal background is more of a factor to his Re-offense chance.

Chanhuk has gotten into a handful of incidents, but has been suppressed each time resulting in his Punishment and Security grades you see.

BaltimoreLarry got penalized as soon as he got into the prison when he swiped keys off a guard so he's been under watch more than usual, which is reflected in his Punishment and Security ratings.

And finally Ninja Scooter has pretty average ratings so far, other than not doing much with the reform programs.

-----

We'll get back to what's happening in the prison in the next update.

-----

Training status
Kitchen certification
Failed: Dutch Patriot, MechDX, Greg, Sanjuro, Kayotix
Current attendees: Greg (attempt 2), Sanjuro (attempt 2), Kayotix (attempt 2), MrBob, BigAT, Narag, rando14, Lunchbox, chris.trejo
Passed: chuckddd, JABEE, unknownstranger, Batman, squicken, Dutch Patriot (on attempt 2), MechDX (on attempt 2), sf2fanatic, vas_a_morir
Workshop certification
Failed: cajunator, wienke, Bowser, ConradCervantes, tmdorsey
Current attendees: wienke (attempt 2), Bowser (attempt 2), Chanhuk
Passed: RBH, Nori Chan, WedgeX, cajunator (on attempt 2), Cloudy, Alligatorjandro, Konka, bionic77
Carpenter apprenticeship
Failed: cajunator
Current attendees: cajunator (attempt 2), bionic77
Passed: WedgeX
Foundation Education course
Failed: Greg, RBH, chuckddd
Current attendees: chuckddd (attempt 2), RBH (attempt 2), FrenchMovieTheme, The Artful Dodger, Bread, Grover Cleveland, Squall ASF, jakncoke, Kastrioti, LJ11, Tabris, Ninja Scooter, NomarTyme, eznark
Passed: DMzcaf, Cloudy, Frankman, yankeehater, Tragiccomedy, Godslay
General Education course
Failed: None
Current attendees: DMzcaf, Frankman
Passed: None
Behavioral Therapy
Failed: None
Current attendees: Futurevoid, SpinDasher
Passed: None

-----

Reminder - For anyone wanting to see the master list of who's in the game and info on how to get your name on the list or more info for your character, go to this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96106213&postcount=15013

And as always, all images and posts are being archived here: https://xianaphryz.imgur.com

Wes

venison crêpe
I quite like what the Browns did day 2.

Bitonio sounds like a supreme athlete for the OL that can play in multiple positions. Instant upgrade at guard if that's where he ends up.

Kirksey will probably win the second ILB position easy. Fast and passionate about football. Going to be a high character guy going forward I think.

West. Great compliment for Tate. Ideal for ZBS.

Our needs remain WR, FS and G. I can see them completely avoiding taking a WR by just sticking to their board. Farmer has his principles and that's really not a bad thing.

We're a running team now though that's for sure.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I quite like what the Browns did day 2.

Bitonio sounds like a supreme athlete for the OL that can play in multiple positions. Instant upgrade at guard if that's where he ends up.

Kirksey will probably win the second ILB position easy. Fast and passionate about football. Going to be a high character guy going forward I think.

West. Great compliment for Tate. Ideal for ZBS.

Our needs remain WR, FS and G. I can see them completely avoiding taking a WR by just sticking to their board. Farmer has his principles and that's really not a bad thing.

We're a running team now though that's for sure.

I like the part where Gordon isn't getting to play this year. Best day 2 possible for the Browns!

effzee

Man if only the Eagles had a WR they didn't want who they could trade to the Browns for a pick today and a 3rd next year.

Man. If only.

Striker

Don't know much about Jay Bromley. Sounds like a pass rusher, though Mayock apparently said he's a 2-down run stuffer (10 sacks this past season). Reese did state he'll be involved in the DT rotation. I'd hope for his sake he can be, because it's only Hankins, Jenkins, Patterson, and Kuhn who's done very little.

I do like the addition of C Weston Richburg. Hopefully can play right away.

squicken

Yesterday I took a long nap before the draft started, woke up to the Gordon news, and spent most of the evening in and out of sleep. Man what a shitty day for CLE fans. Really hard to understand Farmer passing on WR.

Looking back I have to question not drafting Watkins or Evans. Great to get the Bills pick in 2015, but I've seen too many young QBs suffer b/c they had no legitimate WRs to throw to as rookies. Fortunately, the OL is looking stout and the run game should be solid

I don't really buy what Farmer is selling as far as the roster not being set. No decent WR is falling from the sky between now and the start of the season. Greg Little is his number 1 WR and he made that choice. That's a roster move he chose. Browns fans need to remember that when lamenting any bad luck. Farmer could have done it different and he didn't. If it goes bad in the passing game you have to question him as a decision maker. Goes good and he get all the kudos for staying true to his evaluations

At least the Pats drafted a guy in a wheelchair and a backup QB

Wes

venison crêpe
I like the part where Gordon isn't getting to play this year. Best day 2 possible for the Browns!

Well to some extent that's outside of their control.

Are they going to find a WR to replace Gordon in Day 2? Highly unlikely. Pettine had to get Gilbert to play the D he wanted to play. I'd rather have Pettine get Gilbert so he can play the D he wants and a 1st round next year than Watkins. Likewise, the Browns tried to trade up for Brandin Cooks. I'd rather have Manziel + the second/third round pick that it would've cost us, than Cooks.

As much as the Browns say they're in win now mode, they're setting themselves up for next year too.

As Farmer said. Still plenty of time to make moves before the start of the season.

Narag

Yesterday I took a long nap before the draft started, woke up to the Gordon news, and spent most of the evening in and out of sleep. Man what a shitty day for CLE fans. Really hard to understand Farmer passing on WR.

Looking back I have to question not drafting Watkins or Evans. Great to get the Bills pick in 2015, but I've seen too many young QBs suffer b/c they had no legitimate WRs to throw to as rookies. Fortunately, the OL is looking stout and the run game should be solid

I don't really buy what Farmer is selling as far as the roster not being set. No decent WR is falling from the sky between now and the start of the season. Greg Little is his number 1 WR and he made that choice. That's a roster move he chose. Browns fans need to remember that when lamenting any bad luck. Farmer could have done it different and he didn't. If it goes bad in the passing game you have to question him as a decision maker. Goes good and he get all the kudos for staying true to his evaluations

At least the Pats drafted a guy in a wheelchair and a backup QB

Mort said owner & high execs knew about the drug test but the coaching staff only found out 90 minutes before the ESPN report. Where does the GM fall in that respect?

squicken

Mort said owner & high execs knew about the drug test but the coaching staff only found out 90 minutes before the ESPN report. Where does the GM fall in that respect?

Have to assume the GM knows. Maybe he really thinks it will just be a 4-6 game ban. idk. This guy can't stay off the weed. Even if he is back this year, another suspension is pretty likely. He likes pot more than football. Free country, of course. Move to Colorado and smoke up all he likes. He just doesn't get to do that and play professional football

Narag

Have to assume the GM knows. Maybe he really thinks it will just be a 4-6 game ban. idk. This guy can't stay off the weed. Even if he is back this year, another suspension is pretty likely. He likes pot more than football. Free country, of course. Move to Colorado and smoke up all he likes. He just doesn't get to do that and play professional football

Was just wondering if maybe he was in the group that didn't and taking a WR at the owner's (or whoever's) behest would have a look of impropriety in the league's eyes is all.

squicken

Was just wondering if maybe he was in the group that didn't and taking a WR at the owner's (or whoever's) behest would have a look of impropriety in the league's eyes is all.

Oh I see what you are saying. But even then, the Browns were being mocked Watkins before the Gordon news came out. They needed a WR2 before the draft, which should tell you how that position looks right now

To be fair, Farmer has them set up to run the ball. Of course if no one cares about the WRs then the safeties will just play downhill all game and it won't matter

Maybe I'm mistaken but I think we Only have 2 picks left day 3? I'm gonna predict we trade them to get to the top of 4th for a Wr.
Some guys left

Ellington
Martavis Bryant
Jared Abbrederis
Coleman
Kevin Norwood

MRSA

Banned
You know other than the Carr pick, the Raiders had a good first three rounds. Especially considering that they traded back in the 3rd and were still able to pick up Gabe Jackson.

squicken

Maybe I'm mistaken but I think we Only have 2 picks left day 3? I'm gonna predict we trade them to get to the top of 4th for a Wr.
Some guys left

Ellington
Martavis Bryant
Jared Abbrederis
Coleman
Kevin Norwood

I would have liked Norwood as a potential WR2 to go with Gordon. Best guys left are slot guys. I saw some speculation that CLE would look to sign Labhart from A&M as an UDFA. To me, slot WRs are the easiest thing to find. Best roll the dice on boundary WR

Top Bottom