• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Two for two: The Lions appear to be loading up on engaged players so far in this draft. First round pick Eric Ebron proposed to his girlfriend, Brittany Rountree, before the first round of the NFL draft on Thursday. Now there's Kyle Van Noy, who has listed in his official bio handed out by Detroit that he is engaged to Miss Utah USA, Marissa Powell.

#familyvalues

mr2xxx

Banned
Redskins acquire Cody Hoffman WR BYU.

Overview

Had a reception in 43 consecutive games to finish college career. 2013: Honorable mention FBS All-Independent choice after recording 894 yards receiving and five touchdowns. Was suspended for one game for violation of team rules. 2012: Had 100 receptions for 1,248 yards (ranking second in school history behind Austin Collie, 2008) and 11 touchdowns. 2011: Started all 13 games and led team in receptions (61), yards (943) and touchdowns (10). Had five 100-yard receiving games. 2010: Played in 13 games with 10 starts. Led team with 527 receiving yards. 2009: Redshirted.

Strengths

Outstanding size with long arms. Extends outside his frame and can snag throws outside his body. Wide catching radius. Deceptively quick coming out of breaks. Has NFL pedigree. Experienced, four-year starter. Played through a shoulder injury during 2011 and '12 seasons. Is tough and durable.

Weaknesses

Comes off the line too gingerly and will struggle beating NFL press coverage. Limited agility to shake defenders releasing and does not create in space. Monotone route runner. Many of his catches are contested (minimal separation). Does not play to his size in the run game -- uses too much finesse as a blocker. Average athlete with limited burst and explosion. Average leaping ability. Must learn what it means to be a pro and could benefit from committing more to the craft.

Bottom Line

A big, outside-the-numbers possession receiver with good length and hand-eye coordination to fend for a roster spot as a No. 4 or No. 5 receiver.

Edit: Its also great to see Michael Sam get drafted by the Lambs. Surprised to see a first team all SEC defense player get drafted in the 7th round. There were obvious reasons why he fell that far and they were not fair.

Running a 4.92 forty, with a 25,5 inch vert and a 9 ft 6 in broad jump seem like pretty obvious reasons, and are kinda fair.

cdyhybrid

ie59GaH.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSWMBy9VjPg

Panthers' UDFA so far

Texas CB Carrington Byndom

Ohio State WR Corey Brown

Montreal Carabins OL David Foucault*

Miami OL Jared Wheeler

Missouri WR Marcus Lucas

*Hasn't yet signed a contract but will be present at rookie minicamp

I'll post my (semi) serious draft review in a bit

This is it, no more excuses for Stafford. He now has:

-Megatron
-Golden Tate
-Eric Ebron
-Reggie Bush
-Joquie Bell
-Joseph Fauria
(and whoever will be the #3 WR)

You could give that to Tony fucking Romo and get 5,000 yards, 40+ TDs and a top 5-10 offense in the league.

When I look at the schedule I see 8 wins, but obviously things change; I saw 8 wins last year when we should have gotten 9-10 due to the other QBs in our division literally dying; instead we got 7. The Lions have put all their chips on an explosive offense. If it doesn't translate into 10 wins and a playoff berth, it's a failure. I think Caldwell and Mayhew get two years at the most to do something (playoff win). If that doesn't happen they need to be broomed out, Stafford is gone, and we will have wasted Megatron's prime.

All or nothing time.

Stafford's problem has never been production, it's been getting winded in the 4th and making dumb shit decisions because he's a fat piece of shit with no discipline.

Lions are putting it all on the table for a "run" they can finish. Stupid as fuck.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Where's your avatar?

First off I still stand by my point that Ebron is going to be a receiver, Jimmy Graham style.

Second off no one has PMed the avatar which I agree to change. I've been busy and saw one avatar but no one has given me a final avatar till the season starts.

Doorman

This is it, no more excuses for Stafford. He now has:

-Megatron
-Golden Tate
-Eric Ebron
-Reggie Bush
-Joquie Bell
-Joseph Fauria
(and whoever will be the #3 WR)

You could give that to Tony fucking Romo and get 5,000 yards, 40+ TDs and a top 5-10 offense in the league.

When I look at the schedule I see 8 wins, but obviously things change; I saw 8 wins last year when we should have gotten 9-10 due to the other QBs in our division literally dying; instead we got 7. The Lions have put all their chips on an explosive offense. If it doesn't translate into 10 wins and a playoff berth, it's a failure. I think Caldwell and Mayhew get two years at the most to do something (playoff win). If that doesn't happen they need to be broomed out, Stafford is gone, and we will have wasted Megatron's prime.

All or nothing time.

I'll be posting more complete draft thoughts in a little while, after I finish my check-in at work, but this is a good place to start with my thoughts as well. Frankly I'm not sure I'd even give them two years. And there is no convincing me at this point that the selection of Eric Ebron is not a complete waste of one of the most important team-improving resources we had. Stupid, useless, and more infuriating the more I think about it.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Running a 4.92 forty, with a 25,5 inch vert and a 9 ft 6 in broad jump seem like pretty obvious reasons, and are kinda fair.

Combine stats are important but not the be all end all.

You can have track athletes that kill at a combine but can't play football. And there are players that have bad combine stats but are football players.

Put aside the combine stats for a second: he was SEC first team defense. He did his work on the field and should've gotten drafted higher than the 7th round.

Also someone PM me the avatar por favor so I can change it.

ryan-ts

Combine stats are important but not the be all end all.

You can have track athletes that kill at a combine but can't play football. And there are players that have bad combine stats but are football players.

Put aside the combine stats for a second: he was SEC first team defense. He did his work on the field and should've gotten drafted higher than the 7th round.

Also someone PM me the avatar por favor so I can change it.

LOL. Jason White won the Heisman and went undrafted. There are plenty of examples on the defensive side as well. He also racked up a good portion of his stats against weaker teams. Some guys just don't translate to the pros.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Steelers draft summary -

Coming in, the consensus was that the Steelers would select a corner and wr in the first two rounds. Well, that didn't happen. Pittsburgh has, hopefully had, needs at pretty much every defensive position but safety. On offense, a weapon or a tall wr was wanted, but not truly necessary.

Onto the picks:

Rd 1 - #15(15) Ryan Shazier (OLB) Ohio St

Last year, when the Steelers played nickel or dime, Troy Polamalu was forced to play lb, where he is not exactly great. Well, that problem is solved. Shazier is fast, athletic and a great character guy. Had a long talk with my brother about him moving to safety from lb, ala Carnell Lake or Jack Tatum. I don't think that'll happen, but it could be an option.

Rd 2 - #14(46) Stephon Tuitt (DE) Notre Dame

Ziggy Hood never panned out as a number one pick a few years back. He left in free agency. Brett Keisel was not resigned. Tuitt had good production at Notre Dame and should be a good DE in the Steelers' scheme.

Rd 3 - #33(97) Dri Archer (RB) Kent St

A bit of a puzzling pick here. I'm sure the Steelers had this guy targeted and I thought they'd take him. Just not this high. Archer has ridiculous speed. He can play rb and wr. But initially, he'll be a sub package weapon and a returner.

Rd 4 - #18(118) Martavis Bryant (WR) Clemson

The fact that Bryant fell to this position makes my comments about Dri irrelevant. Just thought they'd take them in reverse order. Bryant is the tall receiver Steeler fans have been clamoring for. Hopefully, he can be an immediate redzone option.

Rd 5 - #17(157) Shaquille Richardson (CB) Arizona

And now, the picks get iffy. Richardson is a project. The Steelers will be going into next year's draft still needing a cb, I fear.

Rd 5 - #33(173) Wesley Johnson (C) Vanderbilt

Started at all offensive line positions in college, so Johnson offers good options there. Munchak likes him, so maybe he can make the practice squad.

Rd 6 - #16(192) Jordan Zumwalt (OLB) UCLA

Played for Lou Spanos in college, who is a former lb coach for the Steelers, adding some familiarity. Plays with passion and knocked Logan Thomas the fuck out. Better be able to play special teams, because the linebacker room is looking stacked.

Rd 6 - #39(215) Dan McCullers (DT) Tennessee

Big as a house. A developmental NT in Pittsburgh. If he can keep his weight under control and get his technique straight, could become a mainstay.

Rd 7 - #15(230) Rob Blanchflower (TE) UMass

Rob Gronkflower. Can block and catch but isn't the greatest athlete. Once again, better be able to play special teams or he's going to be relying on his college degree.

Overall, I think the Steelers added 3 or 4 guys who will be playing the league for a long time. If 1 or 2 of the late picks pan out, it'll be a great draft.

Syrinx

With the Bucs, the draft was all offense. As it should have been. The talent on the defense is there; they've already made several improvements in FA, particularly on the d-line. They needed to rebuild this offense and that's what they did.

Evans and ASJ were solid picks. Not hard to see the philosophy with these picks; huge, big-ass targets for McCown to throw to. It probably won't be a particularly explosive offense, but if everything pans out as they should, holy hell it is going to be hard to defend. Having a 6'5 Mike Evans lined up on other teams 2nd corners should be a huge advantage for him. A huge ASJ open in the middle of the field should also make plays.

Again, I'm still iffy on the Charles Sims pick. May be wary after Martin's (and Mike James' for that matter) injury, but this seemed to be a position where we had a decent amount of depth. His versatility will be appreciated, and if he becomes a good player then all for him, but still...think somebody else may have been better here.

Fifth round was about the o-line. Kadeem Edwards fills a glaring hole at guard, but I'm not really sure why they went with him instead of David Yankey. Then they traded back up into the fifth to take David Pamphile, which was puzzling. Though I'm admittedly not too familiar with him.

Really liked the Robert Herron pick in the sixth. Put the speedster in the slot, and he may make some big plays down the field while defenders are trying to defend the bigger guys.

Overall I'm happy. Bucs didn't have many picks, and I think they did about as much with them as they could have.

MechDX

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...s-jack-penn-state-coach-replacing-joe-paterno

I’m always waiting,” Colleen O’Brien says. “Please take that breath. Take that breath.”

A breath of life, a breath of perspective.

“People ask me about pressure in this job,” says Bill O’Brien, Penn State’s new coach. “Really? Pressure?”

Here is Bill O’Brien’s view of pressure: His son, Jack, is 10 years old and has the rare neurological disorder Lissencephaly. He can’t walk or talk, can’t feed himself, can’t do things typical boys can do.

And he has seizures, sometimes 10 a day, and as many as thousands a year. From episodes that last seconds, to those that last minutes.
All feel like hours, and every single one takes another piece of he and his wife Colleen’s punctured souls while they wait for their son—rigid and non-responsive—to eventually emerge from the place only he knows.

One man’s pressure, it seems, is another’s perspective.

Impressive that he deals with this and is an NFL head coach now. I still feel having Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston helped with his decision.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...s-jack-penn-state-coach-replacing-joe-paterno

Impressive that he deals with this and is an NFL head coach now. I still feel having Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston helped with his decision.

That is horrible.

Its not the same thing but my mother is mentally and physically disabled due to a stroke. Epilepsy and the challenges that go along with brain related injuries and conditions are incredibly difficult for everyone involved.

Top Bottom