• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Let's ignore kas until he wears the avatar. We do have reasons to believe he's a racist

You're joking right? I grew up in Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley where most of the population is Asian, played sports since I was 5, listen to only hip hop music and I work in construction in Los Angeles where 90% of the work force is Hispanic. Oh yeah, and I'm Albanian.

Fuck off with these claims. Religion is not a race for the last time and I'm done commenting on this. If you have a problem make a thread in OT - don't pollute a football thread with your bullshit accusations por favor. Gracias.

You're joking right? I grew up in Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley where most of the population is Asian, played sports since I was 5, listen to only hip hop music and I work in construction in Los Angeles where 90% of the work force is Hispanic. Oh yeah, and I'm Albanian.

Fuck off with these claims. Religion is not a race for the last time and I'm done commenting on this. If you have a problem make a thread in OT - don't pollute a football thread with your bullshit accusations por favor. Gracias.

How the fuck did you end up rooting for the god damn Lions. You could of had any bandwagon.. and you the god damn Lions.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
How the fuck did you end up rooting for the god damn Lions. You could of had any bandwagon.. and you the god damn Lions.

Growing up I loved football but my mom would not let me play until I was about 10.

I would've supported the Los Angeles team but both the Rams and Raiders were out of LA when I started watching football. My cousins from Michigan visited and I remember watching a MNF game with Barry Sanders playing. His play and my cousins enthusiasm for the team made me a Lions fan.

I chose the Lions as my football team and have not looked back since.

When we win our Super Bowl I will be one of the happiest men on the planet.

brentech

Growing up I loved football but my mom would not let me play until I was about 10.

I would've supported the Los Angeles team but both the Rams and Raiders were out of LA when I started watching football. My cousins from Michigan visited and I remember watching a MNF game with Barry Sanders playing. His play and my cousins enthusiasm for the team made me a Lions fan.

I chose the Lions as my football team and have not looked back since.

When we win our Super Bowl I will be one of the happiest men on the planet.
Rough roads ahead while you wait for a QB that doesn't eat his season TD total in tacos a few times a week.
Between that and the best d line in the league that shows up for a couple of plays a season, you might have some time on your hands.

JABEE

Kas, you're okay with me. Everyone is razzing you.

Where is YH? He has had a lot of luck with these avatar bets lately. Though, in the case of the Gata, it was about an idiotic bet for Gata to take.

Because the Patriots didn't make it to the Super Bowl, Gata has to wear his avatar until next February.

We shall see how Ebron will perform. It certainly helps having Megatron opposite of him to take pressure off of him.

I don't think he was a reach though. The Giants and Steelers wanted him. Once the Browns drafted Justin Gilbert at #7 that threw out any possibility of a DB at #10. Deenard or Ha Ha was not worth the #10 pick. Only Justin Gilbert was IMO.

Plus we don't have time to develop a DB. We need to drop 40 points a game and our front 7 destroying opposing QBs and causing turnovers.

You just said the Steelers wanted him, which means we could have tried to trade down; I would have moved to 15 for a third rounder in no time. Instead we ran to the podium faster than lightning to shoot our load.

Calvin Pryor wouldn't be a reach at 15, nor would Clinton-Dix. Hell, multiple mocks had Dennard around the 15th pick so that wouldn't be a reach either. Then we could have still gotten Noy in the second round and gotten a receiver in the third round (Donte Moncrief) alongside Swanson. Instantly a better draft than what we ended up with.

Are you guys excited for the next big thing at QB?

1399608859000-20140508-jla-ae5-429.jpg

(Please note: The word "big" is figuratively referring to the potential sociocultural status of the aforementioned quarterback and not in reference to his hands or physical size)

Syrinx

(Please note: The word "big" is figuratively referring to the potential sociocultural status of the aforementioned quarterback and not in reference to his hands or physical size)

I wanted Teddy Ballgame on the Bucs. :(

Not that I'm really against going forward with McCown and Glennon.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Kas, you're okay with me. Everyone is razzing you.

Oh I know, and I find it funny. What I post is what I believe. Stafford is an elite QB and the stats back that up.

But when you start accusing people of being racist you're crossing the line. It's not funny and I have a pretty dark sense of humor.

You just said the Steelers wanted him, which means we could have tried to trade down; I would have moved to 15 for a third rounder in no time. Instead we ran to the podium faster than lightning to shoot our load.

Calvin Pryor wouldn't be a reach at 15, nor would Clinton-Dix. Hell, multiple mocks had Dennard around the 15th pick so that wouldn't be a reach either. Then we could have still gotten Noy in the second round and gotten a receiver in the third round (Donte Moncrief) alongside Swanson. Instantly a better draft than what we ended up with.

Yeah I agree with you. I said I was in favor of using him as trade bait. For whatever reason Mayhew and his staff did not trade down and we ended up with Ebron.

JABEE

It's not the same without Jared Allen.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Oh I know, and I find it funny. What I post is what I believe. Stafford is an elite QB and the stats back that up.

But when you start accusing people of being racist you're crossing the line. It's not funny and I have a pretty dark sense of humor.

EV9eZk3.gif

I'd have to see its 40 time to determine whether this is true or not.

Dragon

Banned

Take it from someone who has the same persecution complex, you're not doing yourself any favors here. People noted what happened when you got banned previously and you've shown that you will respond to it. I will say I found your opinion on the matter gross but you served your time and you shouldn't have to deal with numbskulls bringing it up every five seconds.

Colasante

Until Jimmy Garoppolo takes the reigns, Teddy Bridgewater will be my favorite young quarterback. I loved his play. Love Zimmer too, so I'll be rooting for the Vikings now.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't know what Kas did but all I know is he loves his QB and he refuses to realize that just like myself he is stuck in the Shame Circle.

Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland.

Shame Circle bros for life!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Thanks for posting! I missed rounds 3 and beyond, so good to see these all in one spot with some analysis.

No problem. What do you think of the guys. I can see being disappointed after all those mocks and wanting a cb and stuff, but I love the first two picks. Have hope for Archer and Bryant as well.

YH - that fat dude you gave Kas to wear is hilarious!

:jnc

e -

Kastrioti
Runs routes with heart
(Today, 08:01 PM)
Multi-Quote This Message Quote

bionic77

Hating on an entire religion doesn't make you a racist but it does make you a scumbag bigot and puts you in some elite company ie Hitler.

And welching on a avatar bet makes you a bitch.

If you don't like the heat then stop being an asshole.

Dragon

Banned
Hating on an entire religion doesn't make you a racist but it does make you a scumbag bigot and puts you in some elite company ie Hitler.

And welching on a avatar bet makes you a bitch.

If you don't like the heat then stop being an asshole.

I debated going this road but you do it far better than I do, so you're welcome to it.

bionic77

No problem. What do you think of the guys. I can see being disappointed after all those mocks and wanting a cb and stuff, but I love the first two picks. Have hope for Archer and Bryant as well.

I don't know shit about college football but I liked the positions we drafted at. But that doesn't mean shit if the players are bums.

Optimistic going into the season.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I don't know what Kas did but all I know is he loves his QB and he refuses to realize that just like myself he is stuck in the Shame Circle.

Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland.

Shame Circle bros for life!

There is a brotherhood between our three franchises no doubt.

But if the Saints can get out of the Shame Circle and the Cardinals can almost get out of the shame circle, Stafford and Coach Lombardi will bring the Lombardi trophy to Detroit.

Restore the Roar 2014.

I don't know about the bigot stuff but you never welch on a bet. Getting political with the terms when you lose is bitch made.

Steelers draft summary -

Coming in, the consensus was that the Steelers would select a corner and wr in the first two rounds. Well, that didn't happen. Pittsburgh has, hopefully had, needs at pretty much every defensive position but safety. On offense, a weapon or a tall wr was wanted, but not truly necessary.

Onto the picks:

Rd 1 - #15(15) Ryan Shazier (OLB) Ohio St

Last year, when the Steelers played nickel or dime, Troy Polamalu was forced to play lb, where he is not exactly great. Well, that problem is solved. Shazier is fast, athletic and a great character guy. Had a long talk with my brother about him moving to safety from lb, ala Carnell Lake or Jack Tatum. I don't think that'll happen, but it could be an option.

Rd 2 - #14(46) Stephon Tuitt (DE) Notre Dame

Ziggy Hood never panned out as a number one pick a few years back. He left in free agency. Brett Keisel was not resigned. Tuitt had good production at Notre Dame and should be a good DE in the Steelers' scheme.

Rd 3 - #33(97) Dri Archer (RB) Kent St

A bit of a puzzling pick here. I'm sure the Steelers had this guy targeted and I thought they'd take him. Just not this high. Archer has ridiculous speed. He can play rb and wr. But initially, he'll be a sub package weapon and a returner.

Rd 4 - #18(118) Martavis Bryant (WR) Clemson

The fact that Bryant fell to this position makes my comments about Dri irrelevant. Just thought they'd take them in reverse order. Bryant is the tall receiver Steeler fans have been clamoring for. Hopefully, he can be an immediate redzone option.

Rd 5 - #17(157) Shaquille Richardson (CB) Arizona

And now, the picks get iffy. Richardson is a project. The Steelers will be going into next year's draft still needing a cb, I fear.

Rd 5 - #33(173) Wesley Johnson (C) Vanderbilt

Started at all offensive line positions in college, so Johnson offers good options there. Munchak likes him, so maybe he can make the practice squad.

Rd 6 - #16(192) Jordan Zumwalt (OLB) UCLA

Played for Lou Spanos in college, who is a former lb coach for the Steelers, adding some familiarity. Plays with passion and knocked Logan Thomas the fuck out. Better be able to play special teams, because the linebacker room is looking stacked.

Rd 6 - #39(215) Dan McCullers (DT) Tennessee

Big as a house. A developmental NT in Pittsburgh. If he can keep his weight under control and get his technique straight, could become a mainstay.

Rd 7 - #15(230) Rob Blanchflower (TE) UMass

Rob Gronkflower. Can block and catch but isn't the greatest athlete. Once again, better be able to play special teams or he's going to be relying on his college degree.

Overall, I think the Steelers added 3 or 4 guys who will be playing the league for a long time. If 1 or 2 of the late picks pan out, it'll be a great draft.

Love this draft. Love it. Shazier, Tuitt and McCullers specifically. If two of those three guys pan out the Steelers defense will be scary again.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't know about the bigot stuff but you never welch on a bet. Getting political with the terms when you lose is bitch made.

Love this draft. Love it. Shazier, Tuitt and McCullers specifically. If two of those three guys pan out the Steelers defense will be scary again.

You know how I know I'm old?

That player with the name "Shaquille" was probably named after Shaquille O'Neal as a baby. He's now old enough to get drafted.

e -

Kastrioti
Runs routes with heart
(Today, 08:01 PM)
Multi-Quote This Message Quote

I don't understand the CB mocks tbh. We restructured Ike and have Allen, Gay and signed McCain. Why the need for a CB in the 1st?

I hope Shazier works out but I absolutely love the Tuitt pick. Glad we grabbed a big receiver but the Archer pick was dubious. Would have preferred a TE earlier who could learn the ropes from Heath.

You know how I know I'm old?

That player with the name "Shaquille" was probably named after Shaquille O'Neal as a baby. He's now old enough to get drafted.

You know you are old when you can remember watching the draft where Shaq went number 1.

And that your fondest Lion memory is the beatdown they put on the cowgirls in the '91 playoffs. I was in the nosebleeds of the silverdome for that one.

The Wayne Fontes era were my glorydays. I would happily go back to them.

JABEE

Take it from someone who has the same persecution complex, you're not doing yourself any favors here. People noted what happened when you got banned previously and you've shown that you will respond to it. I will say I found your opinion on the matter gross but you served your time and you shouldn't have to deal with numbskulls bringing it up every five seconds.

Spygate!

:)

bionic77

Enjoying this Nets/Heat game. Hopefully Brooklyn can do it again on Monday.
Hate both teams.

Really hate KG and Pierce.

I think Hibbert is my most hater player right now though. That fucker just quit on his team. His play in the last 2 games proved what I suspected for the last 3 months. I can never forgive that unless another player, coach or the owner had sex with a family member.

Panthers draft review

Round 1: Kelvin Benjamin WR- I don't mind this pick, but I would've taken Lee at 28.

Benjamin has tremendous size, good athleticism, and a ridiculous catch radius. There's no ball thrown his way that he can't get to, which will help when Cam sprays balls high as he's still occasionally prone to do.But KB is incredibly unpolished as a receiver and has inconsistent hands. He has No.1 receiver potential, but will take a bit of developing to get there.

In the end, Benjamin has great upside, but probably the biggest bust potential of any of the 1st/2nd round caliber receivers in this draft. If he pans out the Panthers might have a great one.

Round 2: KONY 2014 DE- It makes no sense considering we needed a tackle and Morgan Moses was still on the board. Crazy like a fox move

Ealy has all of the physical tools to be a dominant pass rusher, which is a valuable commodity at the pro level. He's long, fast, and explosive coming off the end. He's a bit raw, but he won't be expected to dominate right away. He can sit and learn from two of the best ends in the game in Charles Johnson and the Kraken from Hogwarts. Ealy also gives us added insurance if/when one of those two guys walks.

But the Panthers really really needed an OT. Having one good offensive tackle is more important than having three good defensive ends.

Round 3: Trai Turner G- I actually like this pick, even though it basically guaranteed that Bell and Chandler were going to start at the tackle slots

Turner can be a big, physical nasty presence on the interior of the line. Its well-documented that Cam tends to struggle with interior pressure, Turner provides physicality and aggressiveness in pass protection as well as helping to open lanes in the running game.

Round 4: Tre Boston S- I don't particularly like this pick, just because safety is surplus when I think we would have been better off getting another receiver at this pick.

Boston has a good eye for the ball and good football IQ (yeah I said it, FBIQ). It'll be interesting to see whether he stays at safety at the next level where he'll be competing with Robert Lester, who had a standout year as a UDFA, and vets Roman Harper and Thomas DeCoud. If he moves to corner he'll be competing with rookie Bene Benwikere, second year man Melvin White, career underachievers Josh Thomas and Josh Norman, and now Charles Godfrey coming off of a torn Achilles.

Boston needs to become a better tackler to stay on the field at the next level, especially if he's going to play at safety.

Round 5: Bene' Benwikere (Richard Sherman) CB- I like this pick, because I'm not sure about our corners where they stand and fifth round corners tend to be great.

To be honest, I don't know much about Benwikere. But like I said, more competition at the corner spots can't be a bad thing.

Round 6: Tyler Gaffney RB- I hate this pick. We don't need another running back.

Overall,

ANTMNigelPaulinaUnimpressedC11.gif

We got some dudes who can play, but I don't think we did a great job addressing obvious needs (I.E. tackle). Benjamin can be a good one with a bit of polishing, but I think we could've brought in one more receiver especially instead of bringing in a running back. At least the defensive front 7 rotation with Ealy should be beastly.

Hate both teams.

Really hate KG and Pierce.

I think Hibbert is my most hater player right now though. That fucker just quit on his team. His play in the last 2 games proved what I suspected for the last 3 months. I can never forgive that unless another player, coach or the owner had sex with a family member.
I follow the "anybody but Miami" motto.

Plus, even if he can't make a shot to save his life anymore, Deron will always be the point guard of my heart.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Do I need to make an avatar for somebody? Seems like somebody isn't satisfied with the quality he's presented with.

Please do, Hito. Whatever the avatar is I don't care. I was cursed with a Vikebike avatar for three months a few months ago so it can't get much worse than that.

Top Bottom