• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Narag

“We wouldn’t put a team together the way Indianapolis did it,” BB says when asked about QB succession

#Burn

Well, no one should and the parties responsible were fired! It's all fun and games until your star QB retires and you're stuck the finest clipboard holders in the land.

I'll be posting more complete draft thoughts in a little while, after I finish my check-in at work, but this is a good place to start with my thoughts as well. Frankly I'm not sure I'd even give them two years. And there is no convincing me at this point that the selection of Eric Ebron is not a complete waste of one of the most important team-improving resources we had. Stupid, useless, and more infuriating the more I think about it.

Mayhew has this year. He said "win now" which translates to my ass is on the chopping block. Coaches at best have 2 years. Stafford will be given every chance in the world to get his shit together. But the patience with him is getting shorter.

Like I said in the draft thread Mayhew should have been shown the door with Gym Shortz. Now if he gets shitcanned this year you are saddling the new gm with a coaching staff he didnt hire. Which is a stupid situation to be in. This is also the LOLIONS we are talking about so it would come as no surprise if this is the exact situation we are sitting in next offseason.

I wish I could be optimistic about this team but 20+ years as a fan of this team that was beaten out of me long ago. I love alot of things about the roster and the potential is there. Now they have to prove it.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...s-jack-penn-state-coach-replacing-joe-paterno

Impressive that he deals with this and is an NFL head coach now. I still feel having Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston helped with his decision.

I totally understand where Coach O'Brian is coming from. I'm the foreman at a huge jobsite and will eventually take over the business in a few years.

And while there is always stress and drama on the construction site none of it phases me. A big deal is a close relative having ovarian cancer. Someone fucking up on a jobsite which could cost you a few thousand dollars is a big deal but nothing compared to when someone you love is so sick.

Puts things into perspective and actually calms me down when I have to make a decision on the spot.

Dragon

Banned
Holy shit we got Jeffcoat too?!

YES

vvt0M.gif

Straight men aren't a race, they are a JC Penny sale price point.

fwZua.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Steelers udfa's

DB Devon Carrington (Stanford), OL Chris Elkins (YSU), DE Ethan Hemer (Wisc.), OT Kaycee Ike (UAB), LB Howard Jones (Shephard), QB Brendon Kay (Cincinnati), DE Josh Mauro (Stanford), DT Roy Philon (Louisville), OG Will Simmons (East Carolina) & TE Eric Waters (Missouri).

See a pattern there? Yeah, me neither. There will be three Stanford guys around when camp opens, so particle physics discussions should ensue.

minx

I'm calling Ebron only reaching the level of Olsen. Not an elite TE. He is a reach and the Lions will regret not taking secondary help.

Take the bait Kas.

Was he a former basketball player? That's all that matters.

http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/justin_jones_443819.html

Also picked up three basketball letters as a center and team captain, averaging 10.2 points, 13.6 rebounds and 2.8 blocked shots per contest as a junior in 2007-08.

Unstoppable.

Not a TE that is a WR

On the East Carolina website:

Position:
Tight End/Inside Receiver

I'm so confused right now. We need Kas to settle this.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm calling Ebron only reaching the level of Olsen. Not an elite TE. He is a reach and the Lions will regret not taking secondary help.

Take the bait Kas.

We shall see how Ebron will perform. It certainly helps having Megatron opposite of him to take pressure off of him.

I don't think he was a reach though. The Giants and Steelers wanted him. Once the Browns drafted Justin Gilbert at #7 that threw out any possibility of a DB at #10. Deenard or Ha Ha was not worth the #10 pick. Only Justin Gilbert was IMO.

Plus we don't have time to develop a DB. We need to drop 40 points a game and our front 7 destroying opposing QBs and causing turnovers.

Syrinx

Reports are saying that the Bucs turned down trade offers for Mike Glennon from multiple teams. Perhaps Smith's and Tedford's ambivalence towards him was exaggerated.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know, with who we've drafted and the UDFAs rolling in, I'm feeling really good. We got some good WR pickups, lots of people to compete for spots on the OL, a Browner replacement, somebody to shake up the FB situation, and a stud WILL. There really isn't any position that feels particularly neglected at this point.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I think you're missing something there Kas....

I saw this avatar and a blatantly untrue avatar calling Stafford fat.

I have not got a PM from Hater or NFLGAF telling me which avatar to wear. Once I get the PM I will change it.

When I bet BannedEpisode last season that the Lions would beat the Vikings twice last year, I lost, he PMed me the avatar and I changed it immediately.

The Giants and Steelers wanted him.
Some Giants fans wanted him (me included). There was little to no indication the Giants as an organization wanted him. Quite the opposite as there were some reports floating they wouldn't touch him though that could have been a smoke screen.

Consider that Marc Ross came out after the 6th round pick and said the team considered this a very weak class for TE's overall and weren't going to reach for one. Can't speak for the Steelers.

I don't agree he was a reach at 10 though either.

As for UDFA's, here's the Giants haul so far:

• TE Xavier Grimble (Southern California)
Big tight end (6-4, 257) never lived up to expectations at USC.

• DE Kerry Wynn (Richmond)
Strong end with good length (6-5) who had 2 1/2 sacks his senior season.

• South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles
Quarles is Aaron Donald-lite. He's a defensive tackle who produced at the college level and can shoot the gaps.

• DE Emmanuel Dieke (Georgia Tech)
A huge presence at 6-6, 270, but is coming back from a shoulder injury.

• LB Dan Fox (Notre Dame)
Started nine games and recorded 63 tackles at middle linebacker his senior season with the Fighting Irish.

• DT Eathyn Manumaleuna (Utah)
The 6-foot-2, 296-pounder started in front of Lions first-round draft pick Ziggy Ansah before injuring his knee in 2012. Is 25 years old after missing a year for a medical redshirt and going on a Mormon mission.

• LB Justin Anderson (Louisiana Lafayette)
A smallish linebacker, Anderson had 131 tackles -- 11 for a loss -- his senior season.

• S Thomas Gordon (Michigan)
The 5-11, 210-pound safety started 11 games in 2013 for the Wolverines and had 58 tackles, including two for a loss.

Soroc

Anyone have a Jets UDFA list by chance?

And just to be clear I'm not looking for a list of players the Jets drafted in rounds 3 - 7 which could easily be mistaken for the UDFA list!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Fox's abomination is so good also.

We should have a vote.

lX4Bbfs.jpg

I don't know why anyone would make such a ridiculous claim when Stafford is in great shape but whatever the avatar is I'll wear it.

Ebron will still be used as a WR though.

Edit: Aside from the text Stafford is one good looking sonofabitch.

Colasante

Pats signed a 6'8" TE who can do this :

13794_0922_football7_stephensonf.jpg

Draft redeemed.

I hope he pans out better than Sudfeld. With Belichick essentially debunking the Mark Harrison to tight end idea, the depth chart is pathetically thin. Hopefully this Joe Don Duncan character ends up signing, and we get Dustin Keller in the coming days.

Top Bottom