• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

I get this and I agree the company should be like Bro, shut up...we got enough problems...

but Faux-Outrage on twitter is ridiculous.

yeah that'll happen with every controversy. some people are just waiting so they can soap box the situation. i don't think it's outrageous that someone would have that reaction. there are a lot of homophobes, a lot of racsits and just a lot of dirtbags out there and that's no surprise. i hate to be an overdramatic dramaqueen about it but how do honest to god racist/homobphobes/whatever live with themselves?

Lorenzo Taliaferro is going to be a stud based solely on his name. Ray Rice is done. The Italian Stallion is in.

Note: I just assume he's Italian

I wish it were him that's done, but I have a strange feeling he'll take Pierce's spot. But I don't want Rice around anymore :'[

yeah that'll happen with every controversy. some people are just waiting so they can soap box the situation. i don't think it's outrageous that someone would have that reaction. there are a lot of homophobes, a lot of racsits and just a lot of dirtbags out there and that's no surprise. i hate to be an overdramatic dramaqueen about it but how do honest to god racist/homobphobes/whatever live with themselves?

They rarely if ever actually have to personally interact with gays, blacks, and/or women. It's hard but not impossible to isolate yourself away from at least one of those groups. On the bright side they're dying off or close to dying off for the most part, and we're 2 or so generations away from a vast majority being supportive (already at around 50% in most states), so there won't be much more years of public homophobic responses to news items like this because there won't be news items like this. Texas is one failed appeal away (coming later this year) from legal gay marriage, and if they appeal again it probably goes to the Supreme Court, where most experts say they'll legalize it nationwide. With that and already an out gay player in the NBA and now the NFL, the worst of the (at least legal rights and professional sports) struggles from bigots could be over before our next president is inaugurated.

Narag

Eric Ebron is a wide receiver.

Suh is the best defensive lineman since Reggie White.

Matthew Stafford is one of the best young QBs in the league.

Matthew Stafford, and our Joe Lombardi offense, will win us a Super Bowl in the next 3 years, quote me on that.

Restore the Roar 2014.

Good avatar.

squicken

Agreed. Not sure why squicken is using cable to emphasize his immeasurable wealth.

I hate getting raped by cell phone and tv companies. Somehow squicken thinks it is cool...

So an iPhone isn't a ripoff, but your cell service is? Who has the better profit margins there?

cajunator

Banned
Why is it one of the most backwards states on the us could figure out the internet and a bunch of more advanced states are still stuck on cable/dsl? That doesnt make sense.

cajunator

Banned
Rural area? Less houses and other infrastructure to work around

Telecoms focus their fuckery on the more populated areas I guess.

I guess thats possible but my area has like 600k people in it. Its not exactly middle of nowhere either. Still not quite the size of some metros of course. It seems like I pass by Rolls royces, maybachs, ferraris, lambos, astons, mclarens every day so theres quite a bit of money floating around. Probably what helped us get the fiber network all that money.

Narag

I guess thats possible but my area has like 600k people in it. Its not exactly middle of nowhere either. Still not quite the size of some metros of course. It seems like I pass by Rolls royces, maybachs, ferraris, lambos, astons, mclarens every day so theres quite a bit of money floating around. Probably what helped us get the fiber network all that money.

Didn't you say your city is your ISP anyhow? Other areas don't have that luxury.

cajunator

Banned
Didn't you say your city is your ISP anyhow? Other areas don't have that luxury.

Some do. A town in Vermont, one in Utah. One in North carolina too I think.

What makes you think it's outlawed? I honestly have no idea if it's outlawed in California or not.

Some states literally made it illegal. Like Kansas.
Its stupid.
Kansas city is the only city in kansas legally allowed to have citywide fiber for example. The law is fucking stupid.

MRSA

Banned
California has local municipals. Government appointed monopolies.

The thing is, it won't happen, but if you get enough VOTING citizens; you old form a PAC for free internet.

Most will say you can't beat Comcast/TWC/AT&T/etc, but if you can do it as small city initiative like KC, possibilities only stop at Capital Hill.

cajunator

Banned
California has local municipals. Government appointed monopolies.

The thing is, it won't happen, but if you get enough VOTING citizens; you old form a PAC for free internet.

Most will say you can't beat Comcast/TWC/AT&T/etc, but if you can do it as small city initiative like KC, possibilities only stop at Capital Hill.

Yeah. My city was pretty much trying to upgrade their utilities network to fiber and decided to make it a citywide initiative. They went to court for years with cox and bellsouth and in 2009 they won and the network was rolling out by 2010. The isps argued it was noncompetitive and LUS was like "then build us a network" and when they bitched about it not being financially feasible LUS was like "fuck you were doing it ourselves then". It was a matter of blindsiding the isps and forming a precedent before they had power to stop it.

squicken

MMQB: Cleve

Preamble to yet more words about Johnny Manziel, the 22nd pick in the NFL Draft Thursdaynight: Between 7 p.m. and midnight Thursday, Twitter recorded approximately 2.5 million Tweets related to Manziel. In the same five hours, 519,000 Tweets were posted, combined, concerning LeBron James, the Miami-Brooklyn and Portland-San Antonio playoff games, and the NHL playoff games (Boston-Montreal, Anaheim-Los Angeles). Five times as many people Tweeted about Manziel alone than Tweeted about the four most important games of the night and the most charismatic athlete in America playing in one of the games—James. “That is a pretty wild stat,’’ Manziel said.

---

And so here’s Johnny. But the Browns must have really loved the Manziel tape—because his workout with Cleveland brass 19 days before the draft was a mess. On Good Friday night, Browns coach Mike Pettine, GM Ray Farmer, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterback coach Dowell Loggains went to dinner with Manziel and Burkhardt at a country club outside of College Station, near the Texas A&M campus. “We worked out 10 quarterbacks and ate with all with all of them,’’ Pettine said Saturday night. “That’s the only meal we didn’t pay for.” The workout was set for 8 a.m. Saturday morning, so the Clevelanders and Manziel could make it home comfortably for Easter. One problem: no receivers. So a high school buddy, Shanahan and Burkhardt—in jeans and sneakers—were the pass-catchers. After the workout, which included some clanks off Burkhardt’s hands, the agent said to Manziel: “I’ve seen you better.”

How does CLE show up to a workout w/o WRs? So that of the three WRs at the workout, one is the offensive coordinator and another is JFF's agent?

I actually really like this quote from Manziel: "I kind of like the fact the Browns had the guts to pass on me twice, then come up to get me,"

Oh, and Houston and Jacksonville are on the Browns schedule next year too. ;o

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Restore the Roar 2014.

I can't wait till we drop 40 points a game on all y'all. This offense is going to be something serious, can't wait to watch it.

Fuck a Foles.

Fuck a Kaep.

Fuck a Luck.

Fuck a Arog.

Lead us to to the promised land,Matthew

Restore the Roar 2014.

Restore the Roar 2014.

image.php

Cajun approved.

bionic77

I saw a verizon van in my apartment complex the other day, dare I hope for Fios?
Pretty sure verizon killed FIOS expansion.

They would rather you just use your phone and tether on LTE.

I always wanted it too but the dream is dead.

So an iPhone isn't a ripoff, but your cell service is? Who has the better profit margins there?
Weird way to change the subject.

One of the reasons the iphone doesn't do as well overseas is because in a lot of countries they don't have slave contracts with their cell companies and just pay for what they use. On AT&T and the other big providers all the phones are subsidized so you would be a fool not to take advantage of it because they don't decrease your prices if you use a chinese android or feature phone.

MMQB: Cleve

How does CLE show up to a workout w/o WRs? So that of the three WRs at the workout, one is the offensive coordinator and another is JFF's agent?
All part of the HoFarmer plan! But really everything I read after the workout and dinner said it went really well (insider), and browns were very interested by JFF. It's why I kept hope we might draft him.

squicken

All part of the HoFarmer plan! But really everything I read after the workout and dinner said it went really well (insider), and browns were very interested by JFF. It's why I kept hope we might draft him.

Your insiders were right over Grossi so I don't doubt that. I'm curious if we will get the rest of the story on why they didn't have any workout bodies

e: Speak of the devil

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=32611

There is a story going around that after making the trade to move up to No. 22 with the Browns’ second pick in the first round, GM Ray Farmer selected quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

A source told me that the card prepared to be given to Commissioner Roger Goodell for the official announcement in Radio City Music Hall originally had Bridgewater’s name on it. Then with 10 seconds to go, a new card replaced it with the name of Johnny Manziel, as a result of owner Jimmy Haslam’s order.

“That is not true,” said Zak Gilbert, Browns spokesman. “I was in the draft room. That didn’t happen.”

A text to Haslam for comment was deferred to Gilbert on Sunday.

Later in the day, Gilbert informed reporters that Haslam has declined all interview requests on Monday at appearances at the Browns charity golf outing at Barrington Golf Club in Aurora and at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Luncheon in Canton.

“He wants the spotlight to be on the team,” Gilbert wrote in a text.

For his part, Farmer insisted to reporters, “I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that Jimmy Haslam at no point demanded, requested or tried to influence the process in any way. He definitely asked questions. He’ll definitely give his opinion of what he thinks and all of those things are fine, but at the end of the day he trusted the football staff to make the decisions that we thought were the right decisions for this football team.”

I had pegged Bridgewater as the quarterback Farmer liked best based on interviews with him and others with some knowledge of the Browns’ draft process.

After I made that conclusion, it was disclosed that a $100,000 analytics study commissioned by former Browns CEO Joe Banner projected Bridgewater as the quarterback in the draft with the most chance for success in the NFL.

All along, the national feeling was that Haslam, peering through the prism of a rabid SEC fan, preferred Manziel because of his exciting style and the potential to ignite a stagnant Browns market.

Ocelott

Your insiders were right over Grossi so I don't doubt that. I'm curious if we will get the rest of the story on why they didn't have any workout bodies

e: Speak of the devil
I really don't think Haslam had anything to do with it... I have a feeling they would have stayed at 26th to take Bridgewater if they didnt want Manziel because Holtzman said on Espn that the Vikings wanted to trade up for Johnny until the Browns got him

He was just on Mike and Mike and mentioned the time they spent, cool stuff. So hype.

squicken

Oh I certainly don't believe Grossi on anything anymore. He decides to have these weird vendettas. idk if that conflict helps drive traffic or if he's just a douche bag. He certainly loves people from Ohio

His whole thing with Lombardi was so bizarre, and now his thing about Hoyer being deprived of his chance. I think if CLE had drafted Carlos Hyde, Grossi might have accused Ben Tate of poisoning school children

One of these days you will squicken to a team that wins

I trust in HoHoyer

cajunator

Banned
Oh I certainly don't believe Grossi on anything anymore. He decides to have these weird vendettas. idk if that conflict helps drive traffic or if he's just a douche bag. He certainly loves people from Ohio

His whole thing with Lombardi was so bizarre, and now his thing about Hoyer being deprived of his chance. I think if CLE had drafted Carlos Hyde, Grossi might have accused Ben Tate of poisoning school children

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Crawfish is great but thats not the same as actual cajun cuisines. Quiche and gumbo and jambalaya, merlinton casserole and etouffee that sorta stuff. Its more than just crawfish. But I dont trust cali cajun food really. Too far away.

Cajun and creole food outside the gulf area and "redneck riviera" really does not taste the same. Not saying it can't be good, but its not the same.

ShaneB

Monday =( Going to be crazy at work since some team members are away. Sigh.

Going to take an extra day off and make it another 4 day weekend.

edit: Also Kas, fight the good fight. The world would be a better place with more people having your positivity.

Restore the Roar 2014.

I can't wait till we drop 40 points a game on all y'all. This offense is going to be something serious, can't wait to watch it.

Fuck a Foles.

Fuck a Kaep.

Fuck a Luck.

Fuck a Arog.

Restore the Roar 2014.

I think the first game will be pretty telling. If we can't run up the score on the Giants something is wrong.

Basically given the money involved in this offense I'd expect at least 4 TDs on opening night, Monday Night Football, at home.

LevelNth

Banned
Read this morning that each of the Niners first 6 picks were, at one point or another, graded as high as late first round prospects each during December to the draft, prior to some sliding due to injuries and the like.

No chance all 6 work out, but I like the possibilities.

dionysus

Yaldog
Cajun and creole food outside the gulf area and "redneck riviera" really does not taste the same. Not saying it can't be good, but its not the same.

You can't get good Cajun food outside of south Louisiana and maybe parts of south Mississippi. Even north Louisiana and Texas, despite being so close, fail at it. Even if the chef's in these restaurants know how to cook it, they can't cook it because the clientele will not have the taste for it. Tends to be very bland and not use enough of the core cajun or creole spices.

That would just make him a front runner though. Lots of people jumped on the Browns bandwagon after JFF gets drafted. Sure, several jumped off when news of the looming Gordon suspension was let out, but the Browns are definitely on the way back to respectability with HoFarmer on the job!

gutshot

ebu42Fk.jpg

Nick Foles should be fucking one on every top quarterback list! He's fucking legendary! Give him the damn MVP award. 27-2 TD-INT Ratio. The best ratio in NFL History. 7 TDS in one game!!!! Nick is a leader! Nick was the Pro Bowl MVP.

Get out of the way Stafford, you old hog! There is a new best QB in town and his name is Nickfoleon Dynamite. This ain't fucking Waterloo! My man Nick isn't high off his ass on opiates! The entire combined military force of Europe ain't coming this way!

Nick Foles is the best. Period. End of story. No need to #RiseNGrind No need to #RestoreShit!

Nick is here. So get used to it. Stafford can go back to flipping hamburgers and folding tacos for the Detroit Barry Sanders!

You're out!

I approve this message.

Spinluck

Restore the Roar 2014.

Fuck a Foles.

Fuck a Kaep.

Fuck a Luck.

Fuck a Arog.

Restore the Roar 2014.

Fun fact, Luck is undefeated against the Lions, and Stafford is fat.

bionic77

I think the first game will be pretty telling. If we can't run up the score on the Giants something is wrong.

Basically given the money involved in this offense I'd expect at least 4 TDs on opening night, Monday Night Football, at home.
Let's be honest.

Lions will lose a winnable game and Suh and Fatford will both disappoint when the game is on the line.

KAS will then make up some horrible excuses and cite garbage yards and potential in support of his insane theory that the Lions are SB contenders.

We have seen this exact scenario play out every time the Lions lose or Stafford sucks.

Oh wait I forgot about receiver drops! And how KAS only realized the Lions coaching staff was horrible 5 years after everyone else.

Remember when Cutler was hurt, Rodgers was hurt, both were gone for a full month, and every Vikings QB sucked, and the only way the Lions couldn't make the playoffs was lose against all of the shitty Steelers/Bucs/Ravens/Vikings/Giants, and they still couldn't win even one of those games?

Good times.

bionic77

Remember when Cutler was hurt, Rodgers was hurt, both were gone for a full month, and every Vikings QB sucked, and the only way the Lions couldn't make the playoffs was lose against all of the shitty Steelers/Bucs/Ravens/Vikings/Giants, and they still couldn't win even one of those games?

Good times.
Remember KASs excuses after each horrible loss?

I don't know why he can't accept that they suck. Life is so much better when you hate your team.

Cowboys were ready to take Shazier but ended up deciding on Martin. The Steelers on the other hand had Justin Gilbert at the top of their board alongside Odell Beckham Jr. Once they both came off the board, Shazier was their next obvious choice:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-camp-on-phone-with-dallas-as-steelers-picked

Steelers sources tell the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Cowboys were on the phone with Shazier's agent and were ready to select him over offensive lineman Zack Martin with the 16th pick.

"I'm in the middle of writing a text that Dallas is going to take him and the phone rings and it's the Steelers," Vernon Shazier, Ryan's father, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Good thing I didn't send out that text ... I think he ended up in the right place."

Jones confirmed after the first round that the Cowboys were targeting Shazier, Martin, Anthony Barr (No. 9, Vikings) and Aaron Donald (No. 13, Rams) entering the draft.

The Steelers, on the other hand, had planned to select cornerback Justin Gilbert (No. 8, Browns) or LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham (No. 12, Giants). Once those players were gone, general manager Kevin Colbert said it was "an easy evaluation" to switch gears and grab the best player on their board.

squicken

Cowboys were ready to take Shazier but ended up deciding on Martin. The Steelers on the other hand had Justin Gilbert at the top of their board alongside Odell Beckham Jr. Once they both came off the board, Shazier was their next obvious choice:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-camp-on-phone-with-dallas-as-steelers-picked

I wonder how many teams had Martin ahead of Lewan. STL said they had Martin behind only Robinson at OL, and he was in their top 6-7 players

Crisco

Banned
The Panther's draft is getting panned for not adding tackles and it's hard not to agree with them. I'm pretty sure a former (like, less than 2 years ago) defensive tackle is 2nd on our depth chart at RT. Still though, for at least the first 3 rounds, I think the Panthers made the right picks.

Benjamin is a potential stud at a position that sorely needed one. Even if all he does next year is keep defenses honest in the red zone, that's still better than anyone we had before. With Ealy, you have the consider the Panthers worked out Morgan Moses and weren't high on him, so it was either that or the second best 4-3 pass rusher in the entire draft. Trai Turner was a steal by all accounts, some of the best combine numbers of any guard, and a perfect fit for our run heavy offense.

There just wasn't a tackle at those picks in the 2nd and 3rd that we liked enough to take over clear BPA. Now, the late round picks, I definitely think we should have at least gotten competition for Byron Bell at LT. Most of those picks are crap shoots anyway, so it's hard to believe that a pair of mostly unknown DBs were worth three picks and running back depth was worth more than tackle depth.

Still, it says a lot about what team scouts really thought of this supposedly "deep" class of tackles that a guy like Antonio Richardson doesn't even get picked. I think there was a huge fall off after the top 4 guys, and it would have been silly for the Panthers to reach for any of them in the early rounds.

Top Bottom