• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

MechDX

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans · 4m
Fan: “Be nice to my QB, Andrew Luck.”
JD: “Ain’t no way, man.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-med...y-in-NYC/59cb4949-38cf-4b79-847f-09cf8863d856

tumblr_lnq7mdjGTk1qal2i4.gif

MechDX

Louis Nix III

(on if his nickname was ‘Chocolate Thunder’)

“Irish Chocolate, no, but you can call me that if you want.”

(on why he tweeted ‘chicken time’ after being drafted)

“I mean, it’s time to eat. I finally got picked and it’s time to go.”

Chicken Time!!

The "WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO SAY TO MY KIDS, OH THE HORROR"

"Honey, sometimes there are boys who like boys and girls who like other girls. They are made that way and there's nothing wrong with it. It's just a little different than mommy and me or how you have a crush on that boy in your class."

Those are the exact words I said to my 7 year old as she sat on the couch next to me watching the draft and asked me why the man crying kissed the boy next to him. She asked follow-up questions that I told her we would tackle with her when she is older.

It's called parenting and being honest with your kids is not fucking hard.

Put a blonde wig and some makeup on Sam's partner and suddenly those same people go from "That's DISGUSTING!" to "Oh that's so cute!!!"

"Honey, sometimes there are boys who like boys and girls who like other girls. They are made that way and there's nothing wrong with it. It's just a little different than mommy and me or how you have a crush on that boy in your class."

Those are the exact words I said to my 7 year old as she sat on the couch next to me watching the draft and asked me why the man crying kissed the boy next to him. She asked follow-up questions that I told her we would tackle with her when she is older.

It's called parenting and being honest with your kids is not fucking hard.

But that requires actually being a parent and being responsible for your kids. That's so hard.

Why can't I just dump a TV remote and a game controller into their hands and let the nice people on the screen do the work for me?

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN · 12m

Jerry Reese said he expects RB David Wilson to be cleared for contact by the start of training camp. He's already on the field, taking reps.

Thats great news after spinal fusion surgery. Running back position is shaping up nicely for us after the disaster that was last season.

On the other hand...

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN · 14m

Jerry Reese on young TEs Larry Donnell and Adrien Robinson: "We think those guys can handle the tight position for us." (via @SiriusXMNFL)

*sigh*

Striker

I didn't think the TE position could be any worse than it was last year, but evidently it has! O/U on games played before Robinson is injured: 3

CBSSports.com
(10:15 am ET) The Vikings would like to part ways with running back Adrian Peterson "sooner rather than later," reports Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman. Peterson just turned 29 and is due to make base salaries of $11.75 million and $12.75 million the next two seasons. Freeman contends that's "an impossible salary structure to pay a player in today's game, where the running back position has been greatly devalued."

An AFC general manager told Freeman he expects this season to be Peterson's last with Minnesota.

Sorry Vikings fans, but at least that hope lasted days longer than the Browns' hope

More on the Cowboys draft I posted earlier. Their top targets were Anthony Barr, Aaron Donald and Ryan Shazier. They wanted defense badly but had to settle for Martin after they couldn't trade out of the spot:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...arr-donald-or-shazier-but-settled-for-martin/

The Dallas Morning News reports that the Cowboys wanted to improve their defense in the first round, and they were hoping that pass rusher Anthony Barr, defensive tackle Aaron Donald or linebacker Ryan Shazier would be available. Barr went No. 9 to Minnesota and Donald went No. 13 to St. Louis. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Shazier’s agent was on the phone with the Cowboys and Shazier’s dad was preparing to tell people that he was going to Dallas, right up until the point that the Steelers took Shazier one spot before the Cowboys could grab him.

Once Shazier was off the board, the Cowboys reportedly tried to trade down, but they didn’t find any takers while they were on the clock, and they ended up with Zack Martin, a versatile offensive lineman who will likely start at guard as a rookie.

squicken

Hall of Hoyer a Top 20 QB

One last thing on the Browns -- I would have tried to add a few years to quarterback Brian Hoyer's contract long ago. He is due to make only $1 million in 2014 and then becomes a free agent. There have been no extension talks. With Johnny Football now in town, why would Hoyer sign one? I think he can be a winning quarterback and I'm not alone, but he's stuck now. Manziel will play right away; it's hard to imagine a scenario where he does not. The Texans still look plenty QB needy to me, and sources have continued to tell me the much-rumored Ryan Mallett to New England deal is only rumors. So, if I'm the Browns, I try to shop Hoyer to Houston (actually I would have started after Day 1 of the draft). Because you're just going to lose Hoyer in January anyway at this point, without getting anything but a comp pick in return, and you can't convince me he isn't already one of the best 32 QBs in the league. Hell, I believe he's in the top 20. Just hasn't had a big enough window to show what he can do.

Man, it really felt as though the draft dominated my weekend. That's interesting that Dallas liked Shazier so much, I guess there was never a chance he was making it to us.

What did I miss about the Browns?

18 hours after Manziel was drafted, it was revealed Josh Gordon failed yet another drug test and faces a year's suspension and/or outright banishment from the league. 4 hours after that was revealed, it was announced that Nate Burleson re-broke his arm.

dionysus

Yaldog
18 hours after Manziel was drafted, it was revealed Josh Gordon failed yet another drug test and faces a year's suspension and/or outright banishment from the league. 4 hours after that was revealed, it was announced that Nate Burleson re-broke his arm.

I was excited to see the Brown's flexed into SNF. I guess the dream of Brown's primetime is dead again.

Cowboys were ready to take Shazier but ended up deciding on Martin. The Steelers on the other hand had Justin Gilbert at the top of their board alongside Odell Beckham Jr. Once they both came off the board, Shazier was their next obvious choice:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-camp-on-phone-with-dallas-as-steelers-picked
This is the story making the rounds but I'm skeptical. Steelers have not picked a defensive back before the third in over 10 years and that guy was Polamalu. Also Gilbert and Beckham conform pretty neatly into the "Steelers will draft a corner or receiver early" narrative being pushed by the media.

Ocelott

and then after that the Browns decided not to pick any WRs in the draft. "They Followed their board" but your board was done most likely including Josh Gordon.

This is the story making the rounds but I'm skeptical. Steelers have not picked a defensive back before the third in over 10 years and that guy was Polamalu. Also Gilbert and Beckham conform pretty neatly into the "Steelers will draft a corner or receiver early" narrative being pushed by the media.
Well they were your two biggest areas of need, no? Giants hadn't taken an offensive lineman since 1999 when Pugh was selected last year. Need sometimes overrides tradition for better or worse.

Considering the Steelers usual focus on defensive prospects, I still think you would have taken Shazier over ODB but I can see the Gilbert pick. Ike isn't getting any younger.

squicken

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell
Manziel sold nearly as many jerseys during Draft Weekend as RGIII, Luck & Tebow did during their draft weekend combined.

mech make sure to post a picture of yours when it arrives!

Well they were your two biggest areas of need, no? Giants hadn't taken an offensive lineman since 1999 when Pugh was selected last year. Need sometimes overrides tradition for better or worse.

Considering the Steelers usual focus on defensive prospects, I still think you would have taken Shazier over ODB but I can see the Gilbert pick. Ike isn't getting any younger.
I feel is the opposite actually.
Dick Lebeau said later that they just didn't think cornerback was as big a need as the public did. This belief was reinforced when the Steelers picked scat back Dri Archer in the third when there was still a glut of DBs available. The guy they did end up picking is a clear project.

I feel is the opposite actually.
Dick Lebeau said later that they just didn't think cornerback was as big a need as the public did. This belief was reinforced when the Steelers picked scat back Dri Archer in the third when there was still a glut of DBs available. The guy they did end up picking is a clear project.
Well you know the team better than I so I can't argue there. My old boss that lives in Pittsburgh was frothing at the mouth for ODB and was pissed when we took him. He did like the Shazier pick though so he wasn't /too/ broken up about it.

EDIT: For you Texans fans, John McClain makes good on his promise to eat the front page of the Chronicle if the Texans didn't draft a QB in the first round:

http://social.newsinc.com/media/jso...er/16x9&videoId=25992586#.U3DsbQCrQTs.twitter

BigAT

Well you know the team better than I so I can't argue there. My old boss that lives in Pittsburgh was frothing at the mouth for ODB and was pissed when we took him. He did like the Shazier pick though so he wasn't /too/ broken up about it.

EDIT: For you Texans fans, John McClain makes good on his promise to eat the front page of the Chronicle if the Texans didn't draft a QB in the first round:

http://social.newsinc.com/media/jso...er/16x9&videoId=25992586#.U3DsbQCrQTs.twitter

Good for him for not KASing on the bet.

Steelers have never put a priority on drafting cornerbacks high. They're just not a position that demands high picks. They always default to high front seven picks. I was disappointed all draft season at the insistence that we needed a high CB. Ike was a 4th rounder.

ODB made more sense.

squicken

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2...louis-rams-embrace-michael-sam-an-inside-look

Mike Silver was in the Rams war room all three days. Obvious stuff about Michael Sam at the end. Lots of other good stuff too, but probably only interesting to hard core football fans and Rams fans

At a Wednesday night event for season-ticket holders held at the team's indoor training facility, Snead and Fisher each joined Bradford onstage and pledged allegiance to the quarterback, a clear signal that the Rams would not be drafting Manziel second overall. Shortly after heading home Wednesday night, Fisher laid out his philosophy while sharing his strategy for the first round.

"I've got three hellacious defensive fronts in my division, and I want some big, strong maulers who go right at Seattle and San Francisco's linebackers and let us pound the ball," Fisher explained. "To survive in the NFC West, we have to win in the trenches. That's what this draft is about."

Really wanted Martin over Donald. For whatever reason Fisher abandoned his plan to bolster line w/ multiple picks

Top Bottom