• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
How do you restore something you never had it in the first place?

We won championships back in the 1950s. You don't remember the Bobby Layne Lions?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Layne

Fun Fact: Matthew Stafford went to the same high school as Bobby Layne and led Highland Park HS to a Texas State Championship.

Fun Fact: Matthew Stafford has destroyed all QB records for the Lions that Bobby Layne held before the age of 25.

Fun Fact: Matthew Stafford will win a Super Bowl for the Detroit Lions.

Restore the Roar 2014.

We won championships back in the 1950s. You don't remember the Bobby Layne Lions?

Fun Fact: Matthew Stafford went to the same high school as Bobby Layne and led Highland Park HS to a Texas State Championship.

Fun Fact: Matthew Stafford has destroyed all QB records for the Lions that Bobby Layne held before the age of 25.

Restore the Roar 2014.

Pathetic

Delusion

Konka

Banned

Restore the Roar 2014.

QB breaking records is pretty impressive. It's not like the NFL has encouraged offenses to run up points, made RB's less relevant or made defending harder for the defense.

I mean QB have like zero rules going in their favor these days.

Fun Fact - When traded to Pittsburgh, Bobby Layne was so angry he cursed the Lions saying they wouldn't win a championship for 50 years.

The 50th year? 2008, their 0-16 season.

Who do we feel worse for: the Lions or the Browns?

Lions: Wasted Barry Sanders' prime
Wasting Calvin Johnson's prime
1 playoff win in 57 years
Said playoff win was twenty-two years ago (people born the last time the Lions won a playoff game can legally drink)
Had the easiest chance of winning their division ever and still couldn't do it
Have never won the NFC North
No Super Bowl wins

Browns: About to waste Manziel
Last made the playoffs eleven years ago
Last playoff win was sixteen years ago (people born the last time the Browns won a playoff game can apply for drivers permits)
No Super Bowl wins
Have never won the AFC North

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
arugVPM.jpg

The burrito is a winning season and the dog is the Browns.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Said playoff win was twenty-two years ago (people born the last time the Lions won a playoff game can legally drink)
No Super Bowl wins

Last playoff win was sixteen years ago (people born the last time the Browns won a playoff game can apply for drivers permits)
No Super Bowl wins

Browns had one of the greatest players of all time in the 60s and a rich storied history.

The Lions are mostly known for losing and padding Green Bay's record every year since...forever. And for drafting dick kickers like Suh.

So the Browns and it's not even close.

No Super Bowl wins

No Super Bowl wins

the-fumble.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Fun Fact - When traded to Pittsburgh, Bobby Layne was so angry he cursed the Lions saying they wouldn't win a championship for 50 years.

The 50th year? 2008, their 0-16 season.

The 51st season? Matthew Stafford from Highland Park HS gets drafted #1 in the 2009 draft to Restore the Roar.

2009-matthew-stafford-opoe-4000.jpg

If the Redsox can break the Babe Ruth curse then bygod so will the Lions

Crisco

Banned
How about the Vikings?

Wasted Adrian Peterson's career
Wasted Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss
Love Boat
Stadium roof collapsed by snow
Sold their soul for a chance at a Super Bowl by signing Favre, only to have the run ultimately ruined by AP fumbling the ball

And that's just since I've cared about the NFL, they've also never won a Super Bowl which means the rest of their 50 year history must stink.

Great story on Andre Williams, the Giants 4th round RB pickup.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/12/andre-williams-new-york-giants-nfl-draft-fourth-round/

Though he rushed for 2,177 yards last season and won the Doak Walker award, Williams preferred to be at home rather than at Radio City Music Hall. After all, he keeps his trophy for being college football’s premier running back on a nightstand in his childhood bedroom. The occasion brought Lancelene and Ervin Williams’ four kids back together under the same roof: Ervin, Jr., 29, a barber in Atlanta; Krystal, 25, a third-grade teacher in New Jersey; and Kareem, 17, a senior at Parkland High School.

Being a guest of honor, though, doesn’t come naturally to Andre. He spent most of the night acting more like a host: picking up cans and bottles, carefully brushing the chicken wings with his special sauce and preparing the mashed potato recipe borrowed from his girlfriend, Carolyn Jay, a senior at Boston College. He kept a white kitchen towel draped over his shoulder the entire night.

But his five high school football teammates who came bursting through the back door were a reminder that he’s living out all of their football dreams. They still couldn’t believe he got to meet Barry Sanders at the Heisman Trophy ceremony. “I went from nobody knew who I was,” said Williams, who only ran for 599 yards as a junior, “to everybody knew who I was.”

Seems like a really good, down to earth family guy.

cdyhybrid

The Red Sox only broke the Curse of the Bambino by becoming the new Yankees and buying a title. Unfortunately for the Lions, the NFL has a salary cap...and even if it didn't, there are much richer teams.

How about the Vikings?

Love Boat
Sold their soul for a chance at a Super Bowl by signing Favre, only to have the run ultimately ruined by AP fumbling the ball

And that's just since I've cared about the NFL, they've also never won a Super Bowl which means the rest of their 50 year history must stink.

They've been to the SB 4 times I think?

Edit: Yup 4.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The 51st season? Matthew Stafford from Highland Park HS gets drafted #1 in the 2009 draft to Restore the Roar.

The Lions are more like the Cubs. I'm sure Barry Sanders cursed the team when he retired and Calvin Johnson will do the same.

Tom Penny

No Super Bowl wins

No Super Bowl wins

I'd say it's less than a 1% chance Manziel is as good as Megatron or Barry Sanders so to say they are wasting Manziel's career doesn't really even out.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
How about the Vikings?

Love Boat

The discussion is who we feel the worst for not "Most Hilarious Franchise".

dionysus

Yaldog
Fun fact, I compared Stafford to Cutler and it is a toss up who is better. Without Staffords rushing TDs, Cutler has a miniscule edge.

Colasante

Fun fact, I compared Stafford to Cutler and it is a toss up who is better. Without Staffords rushing TDs, Cutler has a miniscule edge.

In a vacuum, I'd take Stafford over Cutler, but in their respective offensive systems, I'd definitely go with Trestman's Cutler over Lombardi's Stafford.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Cutler didn't have Calvin Johnson his whole career. Brandon Marshall is pretty good though.

Outside that, yeah, some things are equal like how they're both diabetic (Stafford's just undiagnosed, no one that fat isn't diabetic) and how they are both with hot blondes that have to hide the Oreos and candy at home.

I think Stafford would win in an eating contest though.

Basically to sum up: Stafford is a fat fatty fat fat dude

Edit: Between the two, the only winning move is not to play. They're both too expensive for what you get out of them. It's like Romo, what's the point of paying that much?

MechDX

Mech I'm glad you got another D-linemen, but what about your secondary! :-O?

[

Hard to judge a secondary last year when you had a one man pass rush, eh? 2-3 seconds can make a world if difference

BTW, we added two d linemen and an OLB.
Also:

At their price, yes. 2015 6th round pick RT @texanfan2002114 Do you think they still want Mallet? Twitter

Kas is like Gaf's linus. Every year he waits for the Great Pumpkin come to reward the most sincere fan with a playoff run.

Cutler didn't have Calvin Johnson his whole career. Brandon Marshall is pretty good though.

Outside that, yeah, some things are equal like how they're both diabetic (Stafford's just undiagnosed, no one that fat isn't diabetic) and how they are both with hot blondes that have to hide the Oreos and candy at home.

I think Stafford would win in an eating contest though.

Basically to sum up: Stafford is a fat fatty fat fat dude

Edit: Between the two, the only winning move is not to play. They're both too expensive for what you get out of them. It's like Romo, what's the point of paying that much?

Romo's contract wasn't great when first signed, it only became really fucking bad after the two back surgeries. It could be argued that he isn't worth anywhere near that much, yet it can also be argued that they don't even make it to the playoffs once or come close to 8-8 three years in a row if somebody other than Romo's starting on that team.

Didn't realize Giants drafted Andre Williams, like it. A lot of these rbs drafted this year could get some playing time.

Still so happy browns drafted JFF, I would have tried to make myself ignore him if we didn't <3. Kinda like i did Rg3 when the raiders traded for him.

Top Bottom