• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

A QB is judged, fairly or not, by his wins and losses. Whether he has HoF wideouts or teammates is irrelavant. If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning didn't have rings and tons of playoff wins, they'd be Phillip Rivers or Tony Romo and the media would treat them as such. It's what separates the tiers of QBs from the guys who get a pass on everything and always have the media and fans gush over them (Manning Bros, Brady, Brees) verseus the guys who historically put up great stats but get a lot of shit because their teams are never consistent winners (Romo, Rivers, soon to be guys like Stafford). if RG3 comes out this season and the Skins go 6-10 or 4-12, the talk will be about whether or not he has what it takes to get it done, regardless of how he plays, regardless of his stats, regardless of how his coaches and teammates perform. That's just the way it is.

Eli is recovering well from the ankle surgery.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina · 38m

QB Eli Manning told http://bit.ly/vl64UI he's doing all the passing and drills in Phase 2 of the ofs program. "I feel great," he said.

On the new offense:

Eli also said he's making progress learning the terminology of Ben McAdoo's offense.

Interestingly, Manning said he has to try to forget the old offense and not try to draw comparisons.

He has managed to not throw an interception yet so there's that!

image.php

slabrock

Banned
And Stafford doesn't even think he needs to change anything. Suh is just cashing his paychecks until he can get the Hell out of Detroit. I don't know what the Lions are going to do.

Stafford needs to change something. He's regressed the past couple of years. Schwartz being gone and bringing in Caldwell/Lombardi has to help some. That team folded so much last year when they could have waltzed into the playoffs in like week 12.

bionic77

The Lions had a Bruce almighty wide open lane to winning the NFC North and managed to miss the playoffs.

That is an indictment on
Schwartz (who was fired for it)
Stafford (as the leader of the offense)
Suh (as the leader of the defense)
I will always think of him as garbage after he failed to light up our defense.

He is going to have to do something good to overcome my bias now.

He just doesn't look like a good qb on the field when I have seen him over the last 2 years. He has played long enough that there are no more excuses for him. I think the time has already passed but if he can't get it done next year the Lions are probably going to start looking for his replacement.

Stafford's line against the 2013 Ravens

DET C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS
Stafford 18/34 235 6.9 1 3 1-5

Does he just fall to pieces against winning teams? I'm actually not even sure if we had a winning record when we played.

I don't actually think he's that bad, it's just he's not that good either. What would Joe Flacco do with those weapons? I'm not even sure that Stafford is better than Joe

Does he just fall to pieces against winning teams? I'm actually not even sure if we had a winning record when we played.

I don't actually think he's that bad, it's just he's not that good either. What would Joe Flacco do with those weapons? I'm not even sure that Stafford is better than Joe

But you're not looking at all the stats :kas

I heard on espn there making it sound like some kind of big deal, in a drama way almost. I heard what he said on the radio this morning and it's nothing like espn makes it sound to be, I like what Haslam said. Pretty much until you earn your stripes, learn, study, and act like the back up.
#JFFforPresident bouta fap to some old highlights and games

Crisco

Banned

It's not really rocket science. Winning teams take away Johnson, forcing Stafford to actually be a QB instead of a shot put thrower. It rarely goes well.

Pettine thought Rex coddled Sanchez so he's going to make Manziel earn the job. I wrote earlier how splitting snaps with QBs is one of the dumbest possible things to do, but Pettine hates offense even more than Rex
No, Pettines a former Qb. And I really like the things he's said about offense so far and his input. IMO he gets.
Smh Squicken digging the hole deeper, still out of brown Gaf.

squicken

No, Pettines a former Qb. And I really like the things he's said about offense so far and his input. IMO he gets.
Smh Squicken digging the hole deeper, still out of brown Gaf.

Have you read Collisions Low Crossers? It's basically a love letter to Mike Pettine. I mean you REALLY need to read it. More than you will ever know about a coach of any team you cheer for

Don't worry. Jags will be next.

It is exciting to be a Jaguars fan. A new quarterback that is the complete opposite of Blaine Gabbert. Two straight excellent drafts by the new regime. Players actually want to come to Jacksonville to play for Gus Bradley. Gene "small school" Smith is gone. They are also installing the 2 largest video boards, both measuring 60 feet high by 362 feet wide.

It is exciting to be a Jaguars fan. A new quarterback that is the complete opposite of Blaine Gabbert. Two straight excellent drafts by the new regime. Players actually want to come to Jacksonville to play for Gus Bradley. Gene "small school" Smith is gone. They are also installing the 2 largest video boards, both measuring 60 feet high by 362 feet wide.

Gonna be real exciting to see scores like: Tennessee Titans 34 Jacksonville Jaguars 3 on screens 60 ft high and 362 feet wide.

cajunator

Banned
I heard on espn there making it sound like some kind of big deal, in a drama way almost. I heard what he said on the radio this morning and it's nothing like espn makes it sound to be, I like what Haslam said. Pretty much until you earn your stripes, learn, study, and act like the back up.
#JFFforPresident bouta fap to some old highlights and games

Manziel will get his chance. He will certainly get preseason to prove a little something at the very least. If he takes off from there, he gets the job. the NFL requires players to prove their worth or they fall by the wayside quickly.

bionic77

I think its more disgusting that people are giving this attention.
I don't know why we care what athletes or celebrities think about social issues.

Other than basketball players most pro athletes are dumb as shit. Most of these guys can't even talk intelligently about the game they get paid millions of dollars to play. Why would we care or expect anything intelligent to come out of their mouths or twitter accounts about society or anything more complicated than both teams played hard?

This outrage about dumb shit players are saying is annoying me. What do people expect? That because an idiot wears the colors of a team they cheer for that they will suddenly express the same views of the team and their fans?

I will always think of him as garbage after he failed to light up our defense.

He is going to have to do something good to overcome my bias now.

He just doesn't look like a good qb on the field when I have seen him over the last 2 years. He has played long enough that there are no more excuses for him. I think the time has already passed but if he can't get it done next year the Lions are probably going to start looking for his replacement.

I remember last season people saying they were afraid of seeing Stafford and the Lions. I could not figure out why.

I ate a little crow when the Lions burned us for 27 in a quarter, but then the Steelers locked Megs down and the game was over.

Ziggy+Sack.gif

cajunator

Banned
I don't know why we care what athletes or celebrities think about social issues.

Other than basketball players most pro athletes are dumb as shit. Most of these guys can't even talk intelligently about the game they get paid millions of dollars to play. Why would we care or expect anything intelligent to come out of their mouths or twitter accounts about society or anything more complicated than both teams played hard?

This outrage about dumb shit players are saying is annoying me. What do people expect? That because an idiot wears the colors of a team they cheer for that they will suddenly express the same views of the team and their fans?

I agree. Unfortunately being a pro-athlete coming out of college basically shields a person from social issues to begin with, and what they are indoctrinated with growing up is usually what will stick with them. They have no need to change really. they play in a very controlled environment and live coddled lives.

Top Bottom