• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The 51st season? Matthew Stafford from Highland Park HS gets drafted #1 in the 2009 draft to Restore the Roar.

2009-matthew-stafford-opoe-4000.jpg

If the Redsox can break the Babe Ruth curse then bygod so will the Lions

Look at that Kent Tekulve delivery. Bet he can close games like a mother.

kentekulve.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The only thing flukey about that year is the number of TDs. Other than that averaging out for games played and passing attempts they are pretty much the same QB.

There is nothing flukey about Stafford throwing 5,000 yards, 41TDS, 16 INTs at 23 years old.

That is not a fluke that is football God given talent. You can't teach that. Either you have it or you don't. Have Romo or Cutler had similar seasons?

That season Stafford had Titus Young, a healthy Nate Burleson and a healthy Tony Scheffler catching TDs between the hash marks.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle
JS says Washington was gonna take Britt at Morgan Moses pick per a WAS scout to SEA scout

Huh, there you go.

Farooq

Banned
More on the Cowboys draft I posted earlier. Their top targets were Anthony Barr, Aaron Donald and Ryan Shazier. They wanted defense badly but had to settle for Martin after they couldn't trade out of the spot:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...arr-donald-or-shazier-but-settled-for-martin/

Nothing out of the ordinary based on reporting prior to the draft. I am more surprised that they felt the need for a pass rusher was so great, that they would trade up in a deep second and third round.

It has also been reported that Dallas was trying to trade back into the third to grab Trai Turner. They had a deal to trade a future, but they couldn't close. So if Dallas had a third round pick, it doesn't look like they would have gone D-line.

squicken

You know what the scary part is, Lemonier and Tank will sit, same with Borland, because they're blocked by other players. Insane depth.

Far and away at this point, the most talented team in that division, if not the league. No excuses this year, they have to bring it home.

They are so close with SEA, it's basically just injury luck and the way the ball bounces. It's hard to really say they have underachieved the way they have lost to the Giants, then Ravens, and then SEA. Literally one play away every game. In a season with a 1000+ snaps, it's just hard to say any team isn't doing enough when that 0.1% isn't going their way

Narag

They are so close with SEA, it's basically just injury luck and the way the ball bounces. It's hard to really say they have underachieved the way they have lost to the Giants, then Ravens, and then SEA. Literally one play away every game. In a season with a 1000+ snaps, it's just hard to say any team isn't doing enough when that 0.1% isn't going their way

Topic reminds me of how someone complaining about Seattle's luck midseason. My reply was strangely prescient.

Crisco

Banned
Fairly or unfairly, Stafford will always be judged against just how fucking incredible Calvin Johnson is. People seem to forget sometimes how crazy this dude's raw measurable's are. Big guy with a little guy's speed, NBA jumping ability and general athleticism. He's the closest thing to a LeBron we have in the NFL, a completely unique combination of physical talent and skill. He would have been the first receiver taken in any draft I care to look up. Regardless of whether his final career numbers and achievements place him as the GOAT, no QB has ever had a weapon like him. Next to that, what Stafford has brought to the table so far looks fairly pedestrian, arguably holding Johnson back from even greater heights (championships). The only thing that could ever change that perception are playoff wins. Otherwise, he's just a fatter Daunte Culpepper.

Colasante

Britt over Morgan Moses? They must know something we don't

Heh, another SPARQ monster!!

I hope SPARQ is as predictive of NFL success as the Seahawks seem to believe. The Patriots signed RB Stephen Houston, who was another SPARQ star and 2nd highest in the class to only Jerick McKinnon, and I'd love him to be able to make the final 53.

bionic77

First all that browns talk now all this lions talk

what is going on
What would rather talk about?

I am game for talking about how the Pats are known cheaters and criminals if you want to talk about your 2nd favorite team. Or how about how the Pats can't win in the postseason since the cameras were taken away?

Too soon?

Well if you want we could talk about how shitty the Steelers are.

Or how JFF is already getting a Cleveland steamer the day after he was drafted.

cdyhybrid

I hope SPARQ is as predictive of NFL success as the Seahawks seem to believe. The Patriots signed RB Stephen Houston, who was another SPARQ star and 2nd highest in the class to only Jerick McKinnon, and I'd love him to be able to make the final 53.

I don't think they believe it's a catch-all stat or anything, but they're looking for athleticly gifted guys with skillsets that fit their system. I don't think it's just "draft the guy with the highest SPARQ".

Tom Penny

Fairly or unfairly, Stafford will always be judged against just how fucking incredible Calvin Johnson is. People seem to forget sometimes how crazy this dude's raw measurable's are. Big guy with a little guy's speed, NBA jumping ability and general athleticism. He's the closest thing to a LeBron we have in the NFL, a completely unique combination of physical talent and skill. He would have been the first receiver taken in any draft I care to look up. Regardless of whether his final career numbers and achievements place him as the GOAT, no QB has ever had a weapon like him. Next to that, what Stafford has brought to the table so far looks fairly pedestrian, arguably holding Johnson back from even greater heights (championships). The only thing that could ever change that perception are playoff wins. Otherwise, he's just a fatter Daunte Culpepper.

Megatron is holding back Stafford. If he wasn't so good Stafford wouldn't throw into triple teams and lock in on him all the time.

rando14

Well I think the philosophy simplified is, find some of the most athletic, explosive players and craft them into good players. It's why they took Paul Richardson, it's why they gave Percy Harvin so much money, it's why they took KPL in the 4th round, etc.

bionic77

Culpepper was really good for a few years and did more with Moss than Fatty has done.

I mean an elite qb wins that atrocious division last year. It really wouldn't even take that much to do it. No excuses can cover up that stink.

KAS is either trolling, related to Fatford or desperately in love with you.

I will let GAF decide which scenario is the most likely to be true.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well I think the philosophy simplified is, find some of the most athletic, explosive players and craft them into good players. It's why they took Paul Richardson, it's why they gave Percy Harvin so much money, it's why they took KPL in the 4th round, etc.
Seattle definitely looks at other things too, but you're right, they want explosive or unique athletes and have the confidence to take on a project if they know they can develop him.

cdyhybrid

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
The @NFL is suspending #Rams WR Stedman Bailey for 4 games for violating the league’s policy on performing enhancing substance, source says

Business as usual.

cajunator

Banned
That would just make him a front runner though. Lots of people jumped on the Browns bandwagon after JFF gets drafted. Sure, several jumped off when news of the looming Gordon suspension was let out, but the Browns are definitely on the way back to respectability with HoFarmer on the job!

I agree with ya. I hope the Browns get much better from here. It isnt fun when a team dwells in the basement for too long. Nobody wants to see the same couple of teams win a division every year over and over. NFC South is awesome because its always a different team at the top.

You can't get good Cajun food outside of south Louisiana and maybe parts of south Mississippi. Even north Louisiana and Texas, despite being so close, fail at it. Even if the chef's in these restaurants know how to cook it, they can't cook it because the clientele will not have the taste for it. Tends to be very bland and not use enough of the core cajun or creole spices.

This is very true. It just doesnt taste the same at all.

rando14

SF had a few things go against them in the regular season that cost them. It's so hard to win in SEA that SF must get home field

Eh, SF had both bad luck and good luck. Controversial call in NO cost them that game, but then they got a super clutch/lucky pick six by Bowman against ATL.

But yes, if SF gets home field they should absolutely win it all next year.

Colasante

The Patriots announced their nine UDFA signings, and Joe Don Duncan, this tight end that draft Twitter was into, isn't one of them. Hopefully they can scoop him up in the coming days. I don't have a lot of faith in the 6'8 tight end or Ben Watson's brother.

Also, Cardinals released RB Ryan Williams. He always seemed to have a lot of potential, but being deactivated for the entirety of last season is damning. I'd like for the Patriots to sign him in case he has anything left.

BigAT

Squicken effect continues to linger:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Rams WR Stedman Bailey suspended first four games of season, per source

squicken

lol Rams. I watched Dre suffer with clown QBs and now it's Bradford and JFF with clown WR corps. Bailey was the only one who actually improved last year. Pretty obvious as to why

The Lions had a Bruce almighty wide open lane to winning the NFC North and managed to miss the playoffs.

That is an indictment on
Schwartz (who was fired for it)
Stafford (as the leader of the offense)
Suh (as the leader of the defense)

JABEE

The Lions had a Bruce almighty wide open lane to winning the NFC North and managed to miss the playoffs.

That is an indictment on

And Stafford doesn't even think he needs to change anything. Suh is just cashing his paychecks until he can get the Hell out of Detroit. I don't know what the Lions are going to do.

And Stafford doesn't even think he needs to change anything. Suh is just cashing his paychecks until he can get the Hell out of Detroit. I don't know what the Lions are going to do.

Reading this reminds me of all the problems my Raiders have had.

Feels good to be turning things around.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

That is an indictment on

Stafford was only 13 years old last season and he threw for 17,000 yards when he was 11. When he's finally old enough to drive, he'll be a better quarterback than Kim Jong Un. Fatter too!

MechDX

Jim Caldwell is the greatest offensive generation of our time. He made Manning into a contender. What will he do with the youngest QB in the league who threw for 50 thousand yards??

#RESTORETHEROAR

:kas

Top Bottom