• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

10157129_703081233084095_4946656314910574881_n.jpg

squicken

Philly Auctioned off the 22nd Pick

-Though it was reported by Jay Glazer that the Vikings and Browns jousted for the 22nd pick (absolutely true), they were not alone. The source said that another team, not Minnesota, was the leader in the clubhouse when Eagles GM Howie Roseman told Cleveland GM Ray Farmer with three minutes left in the 10-minute draft period that he had to make a better offer than the one Cleveland had on the table.

-Minnesota and Cleveland wanted Johnny Manziel. But it’s clear that the second-place finisher, which already had a good quarterback, wanted another player at 22. I wish I knew that other team. I do not. I don’t believe it is Houston.

-If Farmer didn’t include the mid-third-round pick in the deal, Philadelphia absolutely would have made the deal with Team Unknown for the 22nd pick. Cleveland would have had to move on. In that case, Cleveland would have called Kansas City at 23 and Cincinnati at 24 to try to get a deal done. I am told Kansas City would have been receptive to an offer for the 23rd pick, but Cincinnati, in love with cornerback Darqueze Dennard, would have held onto the pick.

So, many of you have asked in the wake of Manziel to Cleveland at 22 and Teddy Bridgewater at 32 whether the Vikings messed this up, whether Bridgewater is just a consolation prize?

All I can tell you is this: I was in Minnesota last month. I spoke to GM Rick Spielman, whom I have known for a long time, and he was dubious about every quarterback in the draft. I spoke to another member of the organization, an influential one, who was similarly skeptical about the quarterbacks in the draft. They didn’t have a fervent belief in any one of them. They did like Manziel. They didn’t want to sell the farm for him.

When the Vikings spent private time with Manziel before the draft at dinner, coach Mike Zimmer was pointed and blunt (which is exactly what Zimmer is) with Manziel. At one point, Zimmer said to Manziel, “I’ve been waiting all my life for this chance. Can I trust you?’’ Manziel said yes. Manziel told Zimmer they would win Super Bowls together. Zimmer loved it. Zimmer wasn’t sure whether he trusted him totally, but he loved it, and he loved the confidence.

So the Vikings wanted Manziel. That is true. But did they want him enough to give the 40th pick in this draft and next year’s first-round pick as well? No. Can’t say that I blame them either.

Either way, I hope Zimmer does awesome.

Mindlog

Coffee.
Black, obviously.
I'm picky as hell about most other food items and of tried a lot of different varieties of coffee. For some reason these little bastards are my jam. Lifesavers.
XUbBThY.jpg

Colombian and French Roast only. None of this House Blend BULLSHIT.

-Brett Smith
HoF QB - UDFA

Drakeon

Won't lost any hunger as long as people keep saying stuff like this:

;)

Seriously though, our guys seem very good at taking anything even remotely dismissive of them and turning it into motivation.

Oh come on, the seahawks are far from underdogs. Keep trying to paint that picture though.

Also, regarding famous Dutchies next to the Godess Doutzen, we have Rembrandt, van Gogh, our All-Pro DJ line-up, Heiniken, Johan Cruijff, Arjen Robben, Marco van Basten, Dennis Bergkamp and so on.

Who are the greatest American painters?

MRSA

Banned
Also, regarding famous Dutchies next to the Godess Doutzen, we have Rembrandt, van Gogh, our All-Pro DJ line-up, Heiniken, Johan Cruijff, Arjen Robben, Marco van Basten, Dennis Bergkamp and so on.

Why do you hate freedom?

squicken

Good read. Trading back was absolutely the right move by Philly. Sucks they couldn't get Minny's 2015 1st though. Marcus Smith may still have been there at 40 (I don't think he would have made it to 54) and then they could have grabbed Latimer at 54.

Interesting they were high on ODB and Fuller. I never really can be too definitive on CBs b/c of the lack of coaches' film, but I really liked Fuller out of all the CBs

Vyroxis

Banned
Good read. Trading back was absolutely the right move by Philly. Sucks they couldn't get Minny's 2015 1st though. Marcus Smith may still have been there at 40 (I don't think he would have made it to 54) and then they could have grabbed Latimer at 54.

I'm happy we didn't get Manziel. I think Bridgewater is the more NFL ready of the two, so if we have to throw him in this season it won't be so bad. Also, the guy seems to be amazing under pressure and finds his targets.

MRSA

Banned
All of you need to repent to Tebow, especially the animus like Coldplay.

Save me Tebow, it's supposed to be in the up 90s today. Help.

Fox318

All of your teams are homophobic for not drafting Michael Sam

I don't see much evidence to reject this claim sadly.

Sure he didn't have the best combine but he was drafted to a team with absolutely no need at that position.

I think teams just didn't want media attention or their owners political beliefs got in the way.

gutshot

Interesting they were high on ODB and Fuller. I never really can be too definitive on CBs b/c of the lack of coaches' film, but I really liked Fuller out of all the CBs

Yeah, Fuller was rumored to be high on their board prior to the draft. And Beckham is an obvious fit in Chip's offense.

Really wish that the first round would have fallen a bit better for the Eagles though. I think Smith could be a good player, but he was a bit of a reach at 26. Would have loved to have gotten Clinton-Dix or Fuller out of the 1st. I am excited about Matthews though. His measurables are really, really good and it sounds like he's got the drive to be great. He could be another 2nd round homerun a la Shady and DJax.

dionysus

Yaldog

Given the relative short history of our nation, most of our contributions obviously fall into the modern art categories. Some of the most internationally relevant are Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Georgia O'Keefe, Andrew Wyeth, Norman Rockwell, and many more.

bionic77

I need to hear Bionic's thoughts on Donald Sterling slandering the great Magic Johnson over and over.
What is to hear?

I am a Lakers fan and never liked the Clippers. And it was known for a long time that Sterling was a racist subhuman shithead.

I have never forgiven Jordan for giving Magic AIDS and I won't forgive Sterling for anything negative he says about a true hero.

But every Lakers fan is going to say something similar. I am more interested in how a Celtics fan is going to react to this.

Is Sterling a hero in Boston for his statements against Magic?

Top Bottom