• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

MechDX

Not Coach O'Brien ‏@NotCoachOBrien · 15s
If I really wanted to be a dick, I could trade Andre to the Raiders so he can waste more of his career catching balls from #8.

....evil grin....

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith · 15m
Andre Johnson: "This offseason has been very frustrating for me." Doesn't plan to attend OTAs. #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli · 13m
Andre Johnson says he's been wondering if this is the place for him. Says he doesn't plan to be at OTAs or minicamp currently. #Texans

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith · 17m
Andre Johnson: "Is this still the place for me?"

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli · 12m
Johnson said losing has been frustrating him. Mentioned being on his third head coach. #Texans

Sigh.......Bye Dre.
Damn. I'm sure this makes Bill feel great.

slabrock

Banned
People actually got their hopes up for it to be 1080p/60fps on PS4. lolnope

One of these days people will learn about this wonderful invention called the Personal Computer

Still probably buying it on PS4, fuck it

I'll just get on ps4 anyways even though my computer can handle it. Don't want to deal with uplay anymore than I have to. Besides, I'm gonna hold of building my new computer for the Witcher 3. Gotta make sure that game runs buttery smooth.

MechDX

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro

Quote:
Johnson said he hasn't demanded a trade or anything and has spoken to Bill O'Brien several times during the offseason. #Texans

Andre Johnson said the losing has gotten to him. #Texans

Johnson said as of now, he's not planning on going to OTAs as of now. #Texans

Andre Johnson said he was in Houston during the last minicamp. Said he wonders in Houston is still the place for him. #Texans

Catch 22 here. No one is taking his $14 million dollar salary this year and the Texans wont just release him because of the hit.

Basically, he retires or plays.

MechDX

Send him to Cleveland for JFF.

Cant wait for Houston sports radio this afternoon.

"If they would have drafted Manzeil he would stay!"
"Curse of VY!"

And yes on my drive home last night someone called in saying the Texans need to sign VY. He just hasn't been given a real chance.

Damn. I'm sure this makes Bill feel great.

I'm sure it does.

christmas-songs-put-a-smile-on-bill-belichicks-face.jpg

NFL rumors: Detroit Lions may consider trading Calvin Johnson

The Detroit Lions added Golden Tate from the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks during free agency, and that was it for the team as far as adding another option opposite star wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

Detroit did add tight end Eric Ebron in the first-round of the draft, and now it appears that they could be planning another move that would shock the NFL world.

On Monday morning, a rumor was passed along from the Dan Patrick Show that says the Lions may be considering trading Calvin Johnson. Michael Ginnitt of Sportsrac passed along what he heard.

@spotrac
Follow

Per @DpShow, #Lions may consider shopping WR Calvin Johnson; A $16M net cap loss in 2014, but just $416,000 in 2015 http://bit.ly/TMul1i

It would make sense for the Lions to look for some cap relief, but trading one of the best players your franchise has had in recent memory would be a stunning move.

The following is pure speculation, but with two first-round picks in 2015 and a lot of cap space, the Cleveland Browns would be an interesting trade partner for the Lions if they do end up looking to move Johnson from the Motor City.
http://fansided.com/2014/05/12/nfl-rumors-detroit-lions-may-consider-trading-calvin-johnson/#!NaPWn

Not saying I 100% believe this...but you know what would have prevented this fuckery? Not giving Stafford an extension as if he had just won the Super Bowl. This would have been the last year of his contract, and he'd have to prove he was worthy of being resigned.

It is hard for me to give Sherman or Peterson credit for shutting down the terrible Rams wide receivers. When you factor in that Peterson also gets to go up against the terrible 49ers wide receivers, his job starts looking less and less difficult
Again, there are 12 other games in the season to check out. If you don't feel like looking it all up, this year will put him to the challenge because besides Crabcakes, he'll be going up against Megatron, Dez Bryant, Demarious Thomas, Victor Cruz, Julio Jones (or Roddie), Keenan Allen, and DJAX. This forum is honestly the only place I've seen him disrespected. Virtually everywhere you look he's considered top 4 with Sherman, Revis, and Haden rounding out the other spots. We all have our own opinion of who is best but to call him mediocre or worse is legit comical and I'm not pulling a Kas when I say that.
Only in Cards Land is First Team All-Pro garbage!

You already know I don't, I gave my honest feelings recently. Thomas is a legit stud and the rest of your secondary are competent pieces that work so well in tandem, the sum is much greater than the parts. That's what you want anyway as it's ten times easier to replace guys when they bolt for money and still keep your production high. So while Sherman is good, he's definitely not great and not worth that money in most cases. If you plugged him in most other Ds in the league, I'm confident he would look somewhere between crap to mediocre. He'd get burned constantly. It doesn't matter though, it's worth the Chickens coughing up the dough because in your system with those other secondary components in place, his play is great and you want to keep that D together as long as possible.

“When you bring a new coach in, you go through a rebuilding process,” Johnson said. “Some people say it’s not. Some people say it’s a quick fix. Everybody has their own opinion. But I’ve been through the situation more than once.”

More than anything, Johnson made it clear the Texans’ losing has simply worn on him. Since 2003, the Texans have posted six losing seasons and only two with 10-plus wins. They went 12-4 in 2012 but collapsed last year. In all, Johnson’s only been part of two playoff wins in 11 years.

“I just look at my career. … I’ve only been to the playoffs twice. I think we’ve only had three winning seasons,” said Johnson, who at least twice last season expressed his frustration on the field during games. “I don’t think any player wants to experience that. I think over time it can become very frustrating. And this offseason has been very frustrating for me; beginning of the offseason, I should say. That’s just kind of where I’m at right now.”

Johnson said he’s keep in contact with the Texans, talking with the club at least once every other week. He also made it clear he hasn’t requested a trade and isn’t concerned with his contract. For a Texan who could one day be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, it’s more about the franchise’s failings in the past and uncertain future than anything else.

“I’m just taking some time, thinking about some things,” Johnson said. “You know, when I make my decision I’ll make my decision and go from there.”

dang

effzee

http://fansided.com/2014/05/12/nfl-rumors-detroit-lions-may-consider-trading-calvin-johnson/#!NaPWn

Not saying I 100% believe this...but you know what would have prevented this fuckery? Not giving Stafford an extension as if he had just won the Super Bowl. This would have been the last year of his contract, and he'd have to prove he was worthy of being resigned.

Not a fan of Stafford or think he is elite or whatever else Kas thinks, but of all the positions you want your money tied QB is it.

So if giving him that contract meant keeping him over possibly re drafting and going through another search than so be it.

Megatron alone can't help you win games.

But as with Andre Johnson there is no team willing to trade for those contracts. Of course if these two are moved I bet their FO's get more in return (basically anything) than the Eagles did with DJAX.

MechDX

Little more clearity on Dre cap got:

He is traded cap got for team getting him is 6.5 million. Texans on hook for around 7.

Retires: he has to pay back millions in bonus

BTW, he doesn't have any kind if trade clause. Texans hold all the leverage

Not a fan of Stafford or think he is elite or whatever else Kas thinks, but of all the positions you want your money tied QB is it.

So if giving him that contract meant keeping him over possibly re drafting and going through another search than so be it.

Megatron alone can't help you win games.

But as with Andre Johnson there is no team willing to trade for those contracts. Of course if these two are moved I bet their FO's get more in return (basically anything) than the Eagles did with DJAX.

I agree, my complaint with the organization was the type of extension Stafford got. I just don't think he was worth that deal, which included 43mil in guaranteed money. He's getting paid elite QB money to throw nearly 20 INTs a year and collapse in the fourth quarter of games.

Colasante

Little more clearity on Dre cap got:

He is traded cap got for team getting him is 6.5 million. Texans on hook for around 7.

Retires: he has to pay back millions in bonus

BTW, he doesn't have any kind if trade clause. Texans hold all the leverage

I'd love for him to get traded to the Patriots, but I'm not getting my hopes up. A trade is too onerous for both teams. Johnson will be a Texan til he dies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Both Calvin and Andre are sick of losing. Can't blame them. Demand to be released and then sign minimum contracts with the Steelers. Pittsburgh could use quality 4th and 5th receivers.

I was rooting for him, but I hope he's worse than Ponder now

Is such a thing even possible?

ESPN has the Bears, Steelers, and the Cardinals as the teams who missed the playoffs this year who have the best chance of making it this year.

They have the Panthers and Bengals as the teams they are down on.

Top Bottom