• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

cajunator

Banned
If Eric Ebron is half as good as Gronk we'll have a hell of a player.

Gronk, Gates, Vernon Davis and Jimmy Graham have all changed the TE position forever. If Ebron turns into as great as these guys we'll be Super Bowl contenders.

I read that as spicy chicken tenders. Im probably hungry.

Bowser

Gronk bday gifs

Happy Birthday Gronk! Here, have a hug from Luke!

822650031.gif

dionysus

Yaldog
My birthday is tomorrow. I am practically Gronk's twin. (If only I had his abs.)

Louisiana is the greatest. My company has a big office in Lafayette and Covington, I am always looking to get in the Lafayette office. I'd settle for Covington though.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What major internal problems? The fact Harbaugh hasnt been signed to an extension yet? Kaps non existent problem in Miami? I'll give you Aldon Smith, but he's the only legit problem.

The HarBaalke tandem is fine. They just killed it at the draft and fleeced the bills for Stevie Johnson for almost nothing.

I'm mainly talking about the Harbaugh, Balke situation. One of those guys will be gone by the end if the season. Kaep is still going to be a mediocre QB with a great running ability. Those rumors about a Harbaugh going to Cleveland didn't appear out of thin air.

I read that as spicy chicken tenders. Im probably hungry.

I don't know if this is nationwide but my Popeyes has a leg and thigh for $1.50 on Tuesdays. We loaded up on 14 legs and thighs plus 6 biscuits for $24. I can confirm it was indeed delicious.

effzee

Eagles already signed 4rth round pick WR Huff to his rookie deal.

Why is this significant?

Well he played for Chip at Oregon, was told he would be taken by the Eagles in the 4th when most people had him rated far lower on their boards AND better WRs were still on the board, and he signed his deal 2 days after being signed.

Now I love me some Chip but cmon. Chip went on and on how he divorced himself from evaluating Huff with the Eagles scouting team because he didn't want to be seen as favoring his former players. Really? So you took a round too early. Told him when exactly and then signed him right away?

This guy figures to replace Avant. Has good hands and tackle breaking ability even if his speed isn't lightning fast. I am sure in this system with Chip running the show the kid will produce. But again very questionable moves.

Maybe I am being more cynical because most other Eagles fans I know are still on that "AT LEAST IT ISN'T REID ANYMORE!" high and think every move Chip makes is brilliant. I hope this all works out but this draft IMO was only salvaged because they took Jordan Mathews but even that (again) was necessary because they let Desean go.

I keep wondering how much better our draft could have been had we kept Desean or traded him for some picks, signed S Byrd, and then addressed primarily the lack of depth and talent all across the D. We did take shots at those areas but not until much later in the draft.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Have to wonder about Case. He looked so good at times initially, but they said he couldn't deal with protection calls and blitzes. Bad coaching? Does he just not think fast enough on the field?

What I don't like about Fitz is that he will just throw the ball up for grabs too much. If they can get that defense as good as it can be, and Arian returns to form, then maybe it is less of a deal

bad coaching, going away from what was working and good god was the oline trash. I swear there were times it looked like they didn't protect him on purpose and it had nothing to do with picking up blitzes. Also Kubes couldn't have done a shittier job with a rookie yanking him in and out of games. Just crap all around. I still don't think he played as well as he should obviously, but Case is not hot garbage and those good moments you saw from him could happen again with the right protection and offense scheme.

Also no matter what Dre said, it's truly disgusting to see Texans fans writing stuff like get his ass out of here or thinking he's a piece of shit etc ( can't stand most of the clutchfan.net posters, they do the same shit if a Rocket player has one bad game) This franchise has been utter shit and if one player in the history of our pathetic franchise has a right to speak out it's Dre. I'm always team before players, but this franchise doesn't deserve that. At the end of the day I want whats best for the Texans first, but I'm not about to shit talk Dre or forget what he's done for the team with him choosing to be loyal only for GM/Coaches/QB's to fail around him badly.

This guy has loved Houston, its fans, etc and wanted to be loyal and I'm sure still does which is why he still hasn't demanded a trade, but he's 33 years old and like he said and I agree with him... this is rebuilding and starting over, any other spin is bs imo. The man doesn't even have a clue who's going to be throwing him the ball every game this year.

I just can't side with Smokey and Mech on this one at all. Maybe it's all my Houston Oilers memories fucking with my head right now too.

dionysus

Yaldog
Matrix, are you one of those crazy Houston fans who thinks Case can be a legit long term starter in the NFL, he just had a crap oline?

His completion percentage was in the low 50s. He is worse than Schaub. Schaub had the same oline, was less mobile, and managed to complete at a higher percentage at 61% than Keenum.

It is insane to think that Keenum is anything more than a backup.

I love AJ. If he wants a trade good for him but it is unlikely, if he wants to retire and pay the penalties in his contract, good for him, if he comes back great for the Texans and good for him. Dude has done his part for the Texans.

bad coaching, going away from what was working and good god was the oline trash. I swear there were times it looked like they didn't protect him on purpose and it had nothing to do with picking up blitzes. Also Kubes couldn't have done a shittier job with a rookie yanking him in and out of games. Just crap all around. I still don't think he played as well as he should obviously, but Case is not hot garbage and those good moments you saw from him could happen again with the right protection and offense scheme.

Also no matter what Dre said, it's truly disgusting to see Texans fans writing stuff like get his ass out of here or thinking he's a piece of shit etc ( can't stand most of the clutchfan.net posters, they do the same shit if a Rocket player has one bad game) This franchise has been utter shit and if one player in the history of our pathetic franchise has a right to speak out it's Dre. I'm always team before players, but this franchise doesn't deserve that. At the end of the day I want whats best for the Texans first, but I'm not about to shit talk Dre or forget what he's done for the team despite him choosing to be loyal only for GM/Coaches/QB's to fail around him badly.

This guy has loved Houston, its fans, etc and wanted to be loyal and I'm sure still does which is why he still hasn't demanded a trade, but he's 33 years old and like he said and I agree with him... this is rebuilding and starting over, any other spin is bs imo. The man doesn't even have a clue who's going to be throwing him the ball every game this year.

I just can't side with Smokey and Mech on this one at all. Maybe it's all my Houston Oilers memories fucking with my head right now too.

All it took to make Texans fans go crazy was Schaub going stupid for a few games, and that was enough to get people into threatening a man's life and stalking around outside his house. I love the Texans fans here and on other forums, and I love some of their players, but man some Texans fans are absolutely crazy, and I absolutely get that they could despise Andre just for being reasonably frustrated.

gutshot

Why is this significant?

Well he played for Chip at Oregon, was told he would be taken by the Eagles in the 4th when most people had him rated far lower on their boards AND better WRs were still on the board, and he signed his deal 2 days after being signed.

Now I love me some Chip but cmon. Chip went on and on how he divorced himself from evaluating Huff with the Eagles scouting team because he didn't want to be seen as favoring his former players. Really? So you took a round too early. Told him when exactly and then signed him right away?

This guy figures to replace Avant. Has good hands and tackle breaking ability even if his speed isn't lightning fast. I am sure in this system with Chip running the show the kid will produce. But again very questionable moves.

Maybe I am being more cynical because most other Eagles fans I know are still on that "AT LEAST IT ISN'T REID ANYMORE!" high and think every move Chip makes is brilliant. I hope this all works out but this draft IMO was only salvaged because they took Jordan Mathews but even that (again) was necessary because they let Desean go.

I keep wondering how much better our draft could have been had we kept Desean or traded him for some picks, signed S Byrd, and then addressed primarily the lack of depth and talent all across the D. We did take shots at those areas but not until much later in the draft.

So you think he's going to be a good player but are mad that they signed him so quickly?

BigAT

Why is this significant?

I think you're reading WAY too much into this, at least with regards to him signing early. The new CBA makes signing rookie contracts incredibly cut and dry for the most part, I think the Bears already signed 6 of their 8 draft picks. It just isn't a big deal anymore.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
All it took to make Texans fans go crazy was Schaub going stupid for a few games, and that was enough to get people into threatening a man's life and stalking around outside his house. I love the Texans fans here and on other forums, and I love some of their players, but man some Texans fans are absolutely crazy, and I absolutely get that they could despise Andre just for being reasonably frustrated.

Yea as much as I can't stand Schoob... the threats, stalking, and burning of his jersey was just too much. He was already mentally weak and that I'm sure pushed him over the edge. Now he's in Oakland... yikes Then again I think that fan base isn't expecting shit from him like Texans fans were. We were supposed to be Superbowl contenders and he just loses it all, along with Kubes. Just the most messed up timing.

No doubt some of the Texans fans are crazy. Thankfully we have sane fans here. People all over Texas eat, breathe and shit out football. It's not surprising at all.

MechDX

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer · 33m
My sense is Johnson's teammates understand why he feels this way. Double-edged sword for McNair: Patient approach seen by some as acceptance

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL · 48m
Andre is an incredible competitor, and losing hurts him to the core. One of the greatest TEAMMATES I ever had. Not one bad word to say.

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL · 52m
I don't think Andre is trying to put pressure on anybody. I think there's a good chance that he's genuinely contemplating retirement.

Fox318

Look for Johnson to try and get to a playoff contender or a team that is a WR close to winning.

Shame the Panthers have no cap space he would be a perfect fit for that team.

Matrix

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer · 33m
My sense is Johnson's teammates understand why he feels this way. Double-edged sword for McNair: Patient approach seen by some as acceptance

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL · 48m
Andre is an incredible competitor, and losing hurts him to the core. One of the greatest TEAMMATES I ever had. Not one bad word to say.

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL · 52m
I don't think Andre is trying to put pressure on anybody. I think there's a good chance that he's genuinely contemplating retirement.

Barry Sanders the 2nd :(

MechDX

Oh. RT @josephperson: Warrant: Greg Hardy grabbed victim, threw her to floor & bathtub, slammed her vs a futon & strangled her

Twitter Andrew Brandt

Damn

Matrix

Matrix, are you one of those crazy Houston fans who thinks Case can be a legit long term starter in the NFL, he just had a crap oline?

His completion percentage was in the low 50s. He is worse than Schaub. Schaub had the same oline, was less mobile, and managed to complete at a higher percentage at 61% than Keenum.

It is insane to think that Keenum is anything more than a backup.

I love AJ. If he wants a trade good for him but it is unlikely, if he wants to retire and pay the penalties in his contract, good for him, if he comes back great for the Texans and good for him. Dude has done his part for the Texans.

I don't know what Case is at this point. I will tell you he's no worse than the other 3 QB's we have now. I'm not happy with the QB situation at all. I just don't think Case was treated correctly at all or coached the right way. Kubes was awful and lost that team.

The play calling was completely different when Schoob was in if you watched the games where he would yank out Case. Even the blocking. It was pretty clear the Oline as shitty as it was and near the end were still loyal to Schoob and blocked better for his slow ass. (those players knew their season was a bust) When Case has to take off running right after a snap and Schoob's slow ass can stand in the pocket for at least a few extra seconds, something isn't right. It didn't help though that Foster was out either. I don't buy the he can't pick up blitzes bs spin, I'll believe it when BoB says it or cuts him. I trust him and practically any coach over Kubes these days.

Why is this significant?

Ray Didinger said yesterday that Chip had to be overruled by Howie to stop him from taking the DE they got in the 5th round in the 3rd round. Chips fascination with Pac-12 players is very troubling, especially since outside of Oregon/Stanford that conference is straight up garbage.

Top Bottom