• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Dragon

Banned
So much talk about Dre. Dude never even cracked double digit TD's. Hardly irreplaceable.

img-thing

manfestival

Warframe is amazing. I play that game every time I have a free second. Why dont you have plus though? Eventually they will be giving away non-indie games.

I just havent found any titles which really interest me that have been available for ps4. Its funny because now that I am more into warframe. I want PS+ because I think the game offers 100 platinum, a couple boosters, and something else for free for ps+ users. Which basically means more room for frames for me

effzee

Huff was a reach pick? Based on what? Here is what a rival NFC scout had to say about that pick:

So he was a third rounder on at least one other team's board. You can't always go by the draft experts.

I think you are getting way too caught up on whether the Eagles reached or not at each spot. Who really cares? Every team is going to have a few reaches. What matters in the end is whether you selected talented players that can contribute to your team and, by all accounts, they did. They also drafted 5 defenders and only 2 offensive guys, which tells me they know which side of the ball is weaker. Isn't this what we wanted? Why all the doom and gloom?

We all know the real judge of the class will be how they play and not just the first season but 2-3 seasons into their careers.

BUT all we have to go on right now is the experts analysis, former GMs, former scouts, and the 100s other writers and draft gurus who do pre draft rankings and analysis.

And yes while you can find 1 or 2 scouts or experts who agree with every pick the Eagles made and where, the mass majority of these experts agree Smith was a reach at pick 26 and Huff was a reach in the 3rd round.

Add to how they handled the Desean situation, how they botched the first round admittedly with the players they really wanted, and then selecting two former Oregon players when better players were possibly available yeah I am worried.

Selecting defensive players in the later rounds is not the same as selecting elite prospects in the first 1-3 rounds. We selected 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds out of need. We selected and reached for Smith in the first round out of need. So again its worrying when we create that need and then reach after being hammered to death about BPA.

Hope it all works out but based on what we know now, its questionable.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
wtf is up with super time force not having a demo on xbox one, but one on the 360?

nice job there smh

Charlotte Observer said:
Holder filed for a restraining order against Hardy on Wednesday, according to public records. In her complaint, she accuses Hardy of throwing her on a bed covered “in assault weapons and/or shotguns.”

She said he bragged that all of the assault weapons were loaded. As part of the assault, she said Hardy “threatened to shoot me if I went to the media or reported his assaults to anyone.”

She said Hardy’s cache of 25-30 firearms includes “AK-47s, automatic-looking weapons, shotguns, rifles and pistols.”

he's genuinely insane

wtf is up with super time force not having a demo on xbox one, but one on the 360?

nice job there smh

Yeah that sucks so much. Supposedly publishers pushed for them to drop that requirement, but they should have held their ground. Having demo's for every game last gen was amazing.

Edit: Holy fuck at throwing someone one a pile of loaded weapons, they are both lucky to still be alive. You should get real jail time for doing shit like that.

Bread

Banned
I'm on my way to Florida, i wonder if they learned to cook anything besides fish here in the past few months. hopefully no cockroaches at dinner this time.

Vyroxis

Banned
I have a PS4, and thee games for it. Madden, AC4, and BF4. Madden I actually had a lot of fun with once I realized the AI fell for screen passes with ease. The other two I could have done without. Some of the small games I have picked up on PS4 though have been outstanding.

Also, holy shit at all those firearms. If that's true, I wouldn't have blamed her at all to garb a pistol and unload into him.

Doomsayer

Who was the Panthers fan who kept posting Greg Hardy's crazy quotes? Dude is legit insane, I wouldn't be surprised if he seriously thought he ripped someones head off on the field.

The Panthers just franchised him, right? He's gone.

Best Draft on Paper? I'd have to say the Rams. They really loaded up, but they still don't have a WR. They are probably waiting for a vet to get cut in TC. Andre Johnson? Bradford still sucks though.

Crisco

Banned
Come on NFL, stop testing for marijuana. You've never heard of a stoner beating up his girlfriend and throwing her onto a pile of loaded guns.

Spinluck

This cat is a better tackler than all of Colts defense.

The sad thing is, it doesn't even play 3D blu-rays, so I have to bust out the PS3 when I want to impress the ladies!

That can be patched in right, wasn't 3D Blu ray patched in for PS3? They better do that shit.

I'm on my way to Florida, i wonder if they learned to cook anything besides fish here in the past few months. hopefully no cockroaches at dinner this time.

Lol seafood. You're doing it wrong Bread. Hopefully you can pay more than $5 per meal this time!

Probably already posted, but...NFL looking to change it's marijuana policy.

Top comment on Deadspin:

"I completely, vehemently disagree with this decision. Whether the biased progressive media likes it or not, marijuana is a gateway drug, proven time and time again to be a slippery slope that inevitably leads to more dangerous and self-destructing activities. First it's a joint, then cocaine, then crystal meth, and the next thing you know, you're a hardcore Browns' fan."

Bread

Banned
youtube.com/watch?v=C-Opm9b2WDk"]This cat is a better tackler than all of Colts defense.[/URL]

That can be patched in right, wasn't 3D Blu ray patched in for PS3? They better do that shit.

Lol seafood. You're doing it wrong Bread. Hopefully you can pay more than $5 per meal this time!
first of all, seafood is amazing. not sure why you would lol.

secondly... wat

Crisco

Banned
The odd thing in the Hardy story is that apparently he was the one who called the police while some other guy, Sammy Curtis, was holding his gf down. I think there is a little more to this story than crazy drunk athlete beats up gf, but we'll see as more facts come up.

gutshot

We all know the real judge of the class will be how they play and not just the first season but 2-3 seasons into their careers.

BUT all we have to go on right now is the experts analysis, former GMs, former scouts, and the 100s other writers and draft gurus who do pre draft rankings and analysis.

And yes while you can find 1 or 2 scouts or experts who agree with every pick the Eagles made and where, the mass majority of these experts agree Smith was a reach at pick 26 and Huff was a reach in the 3rd round.

Add to how they handled the Desean situation, how they botched the first round admittedly with the players they really wanted, and then selecting two former Oregon players when better players were possibly available yeah I am worried.

Selecting defensive players in the later rounds is not the same as selecting elite prospects in the first 1-3 rounds. We selected 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds out of need. We selected and reached for Smith in the first round out of need. So again its worrying when we create that need and then reach after being hammered to death about BPA.

Hope it all works out but based on what we know now, its questionable.

How did they botch the first round exactly? The players they wanted were all taken! "Well, they could have traded up", I hear you say. But it takes two to make that happen. Who knows what other teams were asking for? The Eagles didn't have a lot of picks to give and Buffalo's absurd offer raised everyone's expectations for return value. So they stayed put and hoped that one of the 6 players would fall to them. It didn't happen. Who should they have selected at 22 that would have been a slam dunk over what they got? This isn't a Brandon Graham over Earl Thomas situation when the clear best player available, who also happened to fill a position of need, was on the board and they just didn't take him. Who could they have taken that you would have said "that is a great pick" (and don't you dare say Johnny Manziel)?

As to the rest of the draft, I don't really care where these guys come from. If Chip is confident that the guys he selected from Oregon or the wider Pac-12 can produce at the NFL level, than I have to trust him. It may be that he picks those kids because he knows first hand what they can do? And remember their draft class from last year, Chip's first as a head coach, included 4 guys who contributed in a big way all season long. Did we forget already how good that draft class was and could continue to be?

The DeSean thing, I agree, was botched. They should have gotten something for him. Nevermind his attitude or contract situation, he's still a top 15 WR in this league. But despite that, I still think their WR corps this year is better than the one last year.

2013 WR = Jackson, Cooper, Avant, Maehl
2014 WR = Maclin, Cooper, Matthews, Huff

And lets not forget that they added Sproles for a 5th round pick. He will be listed as a RB, but will likely catch a lot of passes. And the entire offense will now have a whole year in Kelly's system and will be that much more comfortable, there will be stability at QB and an influx of fresh, young legs.

On the defensive side of the ball, they made moves to attempt to shore up the secondary (adding Jenkins and Carroll, drafting Watkins and Reynolds). While none of these were big time additions, at best they can be considered marginal upgrades and at worst they provide depth where we didn't have it before. And they added a true pass rushing OLB, something the team desperately needed.

So the offense is better, the defense is as good or better. I ask again, why are you so worried? I think it's the Negadelphia in you.

Interesting read on Jarvis Landry, Miami's second round pick:

Analytics suggest Landry a reach, won't succeed

Summary: Landry is slow and slow WR's usually don't succeed in the NFL.

You can even download the data used in this post. Interesting stuff.

I read that yesterday but considering they used combine numbers as their baseline where there is so much more to the position then pure speed I'm a little skeptical, but those numbers are a bit worry-sum either way.

I read that yesterday but considering they used combine numbers as their baseline where there is so much more to the position then pure speed I'm a little skeptical, but those numbers are a bit worry-sum either way.
It looks like a lot of people in the comments are saying he pulled his hamstring at the combine or something. Some guy said he ran a 4.51 at his pro day but was still recovering somewhat. Who knows. Either way I agree, it's just one number.

Top Bottom