• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Crisco

Banned
The counterpoint to slow receivers can't make it is always Anquan Boldin. He's the exception that proves the rule. I'm happy Benjamin ran in the 4.5s during his pro-day and he looks plenty fast on game tape. I don't think getting separation will be an issue for him.

I'm with Gutshot. Who knows? Maybe Marcus Smith will play 10 years with the Eagles with double digit sacks every year.

Even if he does succeed that doesnt make it a good pick. They took a guy at 26 because they were afraid he wouldnt be there at 54. That is nuts. If this same thing had happened under Reid, Banner, and Howie people would eb going nuts, but for some insane reason fans want to give Chip the benefit of the doubt. I dont get that at all, Chip won last year with Reid's players on offense. He has done nothing in the NFL to give me any reason to trust him as a player evaluator. I really worry that Chip has deluded himself into believing that his system is what works, and that it doesnt matter who he plugs in. I am definitely negative about the direction they are going in, and with good reason. They only won the division last year due to injuries and a total collapse by the other teams in the division. Foles lost every game he played last year against playoff teams except for the game against GB when GB had Seneca Wallace at QB. That is Stafford levels of bad, hopefully it is a super small sample size and he will play better this year against tougher teams but I think it is a valid cause for concern. All year I am going to worry about Maclin's knee, and the stupidity of cutting a great player for nothing just to prove a point that you dont need great players.

MechDX

#Texans HC Bill O'Brien has spoken to disgruntled WR Andre Johnson. Respects player, thinks great fit for offense. Texans can be like Chiefs

Werder

Never doubt BOB

#Texans HC Bill O'Brien has spoken to disgruntled WR Andre Johnson. Respects player, thinks great fit for offense. Texans can be like Chiefs

Werder

Never doubt BOB

So the Texans can start out well, then fall apart and get knocked out of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion? I guess it is good to aim low so that way you wont be disappointed.

So the Texans can start out well, then fall apart and get knocked out of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion? I guess it is good to aim low so that way you wont be disappointed.
Apparently the only thing Mech cares about is beating the Dolphins so he should have no expectations going into this season unless they meet in the playoffs (lol).

Konka

Banned
Even if he does succeed that doesnt make it a good pick. They took a guy at 26 because they were afraid he wouldnt be there at 54. That is nuts. If this same thing had happened under Reid, Banner, and Howie people would eb going nuts, but for some insane reason fans want to give Chip the benefit of the doubt. I dont get that at all, Chip won last year with Reid's players on offense. He has done nothing in the NFL to give me any reason to trust him as a player evaluator. I really worry that Chip has deluded himself into believing that his system is what works, and that it doesnt matter who he plugs in. I am definitely negative about the direction they are going in, and with good reason. They only won the division last year due to injuries and a total collapse by the other teams in the division. Foles lost every game he played last year against playoff teams except for the game against GB when GB had Seneca Wallace at QB. That is Stafford levels of bad, hopefully it is a super small sample size and he will play better this year against tougher teams but I think it is a valid cause for concern. All year I am going to worry about Maclin's knee, and the stupidity of cutting a great player for nothing just to prove a point that you dont need great players.

What in gods name are you talking about. I would like for you to show me the playoff teams foles lost to.

HXZgJcV.png

EID28ae.png

I see losses to the Broncos, Chargers and Chiefs. Games where Vick was the starter.

Foles was 3/4 with 1 TD in garbage time in Denver.

Unless you somehow mean the Saints by "playoff teams" and that means 1 team in 1 game I have no idea what point you are trying to make. It just sounds like being negative for the sake of being negative.

What in gods name are you talking about. I would like for you to show me the playoff teams foles lost to.

HXZgJcV.png

EID28ae.png

I see losses to the Broncos, Chargers and Chiefs. Games where Vick was the starter.

Foles was 3/4 with 1 TD in garbage time in Denver.

Unless you somehow mean the Saints by "playoff teams" and that means 1 team in 1 game I have no idea what point you are trying to make. It just sounds like being negative for the sake of being negative.

For some reason I had the Vikes as a playoff team in my mind. Lack of sleep is killing me. You are right Vick was the starter for the other games. Foles only played terrible in one game against a playoff team so that is better.

gutshot

Jesus Christ, man. You make it sound like they went 6-10 last year, not 10-6. They beat the teams they had to beat to make it to the playoffs (many of those teams didn't make it into the playoffs specifically because the Eagles beat them). Stafford levels of bad? Stafford has been a starting QB for 5 years. Nick Foles has been one for 16 games. If Foles still has a shitty record versus playoff teams in 4 years, then we can have this conversation. Right now? He's one of the most promising young QBs in the league.

And does the 2013 draft not count towards Chip as a player evaluator or something? Because they ended up with 4 solid players who all contributed last season and may find themselves as starters on this team in the next season or two.

Jesus Christ, man. You make it sound like they went 6-10 last year, not 10-6. They beat the teams they had to beat to make it to the playoffs (many of those teams didn't make it into the playoffs specifically because the Eagles beat them). Stafford levels of bad? Stafford has been a starting QB for 5 years. Nick Foles has been one for 16 games. If Foles still has a shitty record versus playoff teams in 4 years, then we can have this conversation. Right now? He's one of the most promising young QBs in the league.

And does the 2013 draft not count towards Chip as a player evaluator or something? Because they ended up with 4 solid players who all contributed last season and may find themselves as starters on this team in the next season or two.

I like Ertz alot but he did very little last year, I am down on Lane but hopefully he will improve, Logan and Wolff are zeros so far, and Barkely looks like a terrible pick now.

Konka

Banned
I like Ertz alot but he did very little last year, I am down on Lane but hopefully he will improve, Logan and Wolff are zeros so far, and Barkely looks like a terrible pick now.

That's just not fair to Barkley. He came into the two games he played in the worst circumstances. He was never supposed to play the majority of any game last year.

effzee

I'm with Gutshot. Who knows? Maybe Marcus Smith will play 10 years with the Eagles with double digit sacks every year.

Right. Who know? I am not saying my initial judgement is final. But we are allowed to have a reaction to the draft.

If the Eagles picked all guys ranked high on everyone's board and were considered steals, we would be using that same analysis to praise them.

Right now I am saying the draft plus how FA has gone has made question some of their moves. Hope it all works out but not the best off season IMO especially considering the possibilities.

So the offense is better, the defense is as good or better. I ask again, why are you so worried? I think it's the Negadelphia in you.

Defense needs to be a lot better for this team to further steps. Being as good or slightly better is not going to cut it.

Farooq

Banned
If Dallas did not trade up for Demarcus Lawerence, they would have selected Kony Ealy in the second and Trai Turner in the third.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...uldve-drafted-kony-ealy-and-trai-turner.html/

So, who would Dallas have landed if it didn’t make the trade? Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones revealed the answer during a Tuesday conference call with season ticket holders.

Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy would’ve been the pick at No. 47. Ealy went to Carolina at No. 60. LSU offensive guard Trai Turner would have been Dallas’ third-round selection.

The Cowboys attempted to land Tuner by trading back into the end of the third round, but a deal fell apart at the last minute and he went to Carolina at pick 92.

What about Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan?

“I would say that Ealy was probably our next pick,” Jones said. “Sometimes what you read isn’t always true in terms of the Jernigans of the world and people like that. We really didn’t have him in that mix.”

Dallas needed immediate help at right defensive end and Lawrence was the last impact player at that position on the Cowboys’ board. Jones said they viewed Lawrence as being a “much better” right end than Ealy.

Turner would’ve likely stepped into the starting lineup alongside first-round pick Zack Martin, last year’s first-round pick Travis Frederick, 2011 first-round pick Tyron Smith and Doug Free.

Man, I just have a feeling Demarcus Lawerence will not be worth the value both Ealy and Trai Turner would have brought. I hope I am wrong, but Dallas would have set up their offensive line for a almost a decade.

I know Lawerence is a better fit for what Marinelli wants to do and it was definitely a move made by desperate need. I just feel like Dallas would have been a better team with addition of Ealy and Turner instead of just Lawerence.They said they were in desperate need for a pass rush, and a quick RDE is one way to do it. I don't know, I have mixed feelings about the trade.

Tom Penny

What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game

effzee

The 4 players you mentioned were 4 guys picked earlier rather than later in the draft. Usually you want to pick the sure fire guys in the first, 2nd, and 3rd round and maybe select potential over production later on in the draft. Lane Johnson was the #3 overall pick. Hard to mess that up. Ertz again was a 2nd round pick and was only a part of a great offense. Hardly relied on or even the best TE on the team.

Wolf was injured and maybe only looked better than the trash we had or still have at Safety. Logan was rotated in. But ok even then good solid draft. But keep in mind they didn't reach at pick #3 or at any point in the draft. Those guys went where they were supposed to, if not lower. That's quite different then selecting a guy in the first who a lot of people had projected going as late as the 4rth round.

I guess my concern here is that a lot of things broke their way in 2013. Coming in they had the easiest schedule in the division. RG3 was coming off of knee surgery and his drama with the Shanahans. Eli and the Giants started 0-6 and the Cowboys were in it till the last minute. The Eagles won the division yes but with a terrible D which didn't matter much in the end because of how bad the division was.

I am not expecting the division to be that bad again. Neither should the Eagles. Even if the offense is better with Sproles, Mathews, and Huff over Brown, Desean, and Avant, the offense wasn't holding us back.

I'd be much happier with picking a CB (Dennard) or S (Buchanon) in the first round and then taking OLB Smith in the 2nd round. Trade back up into the 2nd to select Mathews. Who cares if you lose out on some late round pick.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Werder

Never doubt BOB

lol Until Dre says something else I'm not taking anything anyone else says as anything but bs. So one of our QB's is gonna turn into Alex Smith this season? Yea, why I don't see that happening.

Why wouldn't BoB respect him? I think every coach respects his game and his personality even if he doesn't play for them. BoB hasn't even coached one real NFL game as a head coach. This never doubt BoB stuff is hilarious lol

This whole Dre shit has just pissed me off about the Texans history in general sigh

lol Until Dre says something else I'm not taking anything anyone else says as anything but bs. So one of our QB's is gonna turn into Alex Smith this season? Yea, why I don't see that happening.

Why wouldn't BoB respect him? I think every coach respects his game and his personality even if he doesn't play for them. Bob hasn't even coached one real NFL game as a head coach. This never doubt BoB stuff is hilarious lol
In case you didn't notice last season really sent Mech off the deep end. I try to remember good-Mech but it's hard these days, too many recent memories tainted by disgusting Patriots fandom.

Bowser

If Dallas did not trade up for Demarcus Lawerence, they would have selected Kony Ealy in the second and Trai Turner in the third.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...uldve-drafted-kony-ealy-and-trai-turner.html/

Man, I just have a feeling Demarcus Lawerence will not be worth the value both Ealy and Trai Turner would have brought. I hope I am wrong, but Dallas would have set up their offensive line for a almost a decade.

I know Lawerence is a better fit for what Marinelli wants to do and it was definitely a move made by desperate need. I just feel like Dallas would have been a better team with addition of Ealy and Turner instead of just Lawerence.They said they were in desperate need for a pass rush, and a quick RDE is one way to do it. I don't know, I have mixed feelings about the trade.

The fact that the Panthers picked up 2 guys that Jerry wanted does not make me feel any better :|

Narag

This never doubt BoB stuff is hilarious lol

This whole Dre shit has just pissed me off about the Texans history in general sigh

Texans fandom equivalent of a Jonestown kool-aid party. Escape while you still can, matrix. Live to tell our tale.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
In case you didn't notice last season really sent Mech off the deep end. I try to remember good-Mech but it's hard these days, too many recent memories tainted by disgusting Patriots fandom.

:(
hah

It sent me off the deep end, but I guess Ive been tainted a different way. I'm just more pissed than usual lol I just don't have the hope he has.... yet.

I forget how old Mech is, but I know I'm bitter as shit having lived through the Oilers and now this which feels even worse.

I feel like the Dre of Texans fans here right now.

Farooq

Banned
The fact that the Panthers picked up 2 guys that Jerry wanted does not make me feel any better :|

If it makes you feel any better, lately Dallas has been hitting on picks taken in the early rounds. They just keep trading their picks away. Also based on what I heard, Jerry is not really calling the shots anymore, it is Will McClay and Stephen Jones with heavy input from the coaching staff. Jerry just likes to seem important so all "decisions" go through him.

I should also clarify, the Jones that was quoted in the article I posted was Stephen. I edited that part out, probably not a good idea.

Matrix

Texans fandom equivalent of a Jonestown kool-aid party. Escape while you still can, matrix. Live to tell our tale.

I''m too loyal to Houston teams and have already destroyed myself mentally. I can't escape at this point. I'm pissed like Dre and broken like a Schoob.

MechDX

I have but a few "wants" for this season:

1) a complete and utter destruction of the Colts at Indy. I want Luck on the ground bleeding from being beat senseless. I want his family to feel the hurt. When he looks up beaten and bloody I want Watt to look and say "If he dies. He dies"

2) beat the Browns. Manzuel caught in a Watt/Clooney sandwich. I want him broke in half while squicken cries.

3) Beat the Steelers and Cowboys just because

4) 2 pick sixes vs Schaub so I can see how it feels to be on the other end.

That's it.....for now

Konka

Banned

Well going from a super bowl favorite to the bottom of the trash can in one season will do that to you.

The 4 players you mentioned were 4 guys picked earlier rather than later in the draft. Usually you want to pick the sure fire guys in the first, 2nd, and 3rd round and maybe select potential over production later on in the draft. Lane Johnson was the #3 overall pick. Hard to mess that up. Ertz again was a 2nd round pick and was only a part of a great offense. Hardly relied on or even the best TE on the team.

Wolf was injured and maybe only looked better than the trash we had or still have at Safety. Logan was rotated in. But ok even then good solid draft. But keep in mind they didn't reach at pick #3 or at any point in the draft. Those guys went where they were supposed to, if not lower. That's quite different then selecting a guy in the first who a lot of people had projected going as late as the 4rth round.

I guess my concern here is that a lot of things broke their way in 2013. Coming in they had the easiest schedule in the division. RG3 was coming off of knee surgery and his drama with the Shanahans. Eli and the Giants started 0-6 and the Cowboys were in it till the last minute. The Eagles won the division yes but with a terrible D which didn't matter much in the end because of how bad the division was.

I am not expecting the division to be that bad again. Neither should the Eagles. Even if the offense is better with Sproles, Mathews, and Huff over Brown, Desean, and Avant, the offense wasn't holding us back.

I'd be much happier with picking a CB (Dennard) or S (Buchanon) in the first round and then taking OLB Smith in the 2nd round. Trade back up into the 2nd to select Mathews. Who cares if you lose out on some late round pick.

Technically it was the offense that cost them the playoff game, well Foles did, but I agree with you 100% that they have to find a way to greatly improve the defense. I fully expect the offense to take a step back this year, they had one injury all season last year no way that happens again. Teams will also have way more footage to look at, I doubt anyone is confused by lining Lane up wide, or putting 4 TE's on the field this year. I would feel so much better if they had kept Djax and gojne defense with their first 3 picks, or even better if they had traded a 3rd for Haha.

Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP 1h
The Panthers have already met with Greg Hardy and his agent regarding the incident. Would love to be a fly on the wall for that one.

Tom Penny

Texans need to just trade for Mallet and let Dre walk. Without a franchise QB they aren't going anywere anyway. At least they get a franchise QB who is more imporant than a WR.

Bread

Banned
mech has seen the light! his eyes have been opened to see the healing powers of Pats Nation and BOB!

Mech has been #blessed

Colasante

Per Mike Reiss, "Of the 9 undrafted free agents signed by the Patriots on Monday, LB Cameron Gordon (Michigan) had highest guaranteed money total: $35,000. A higher total in guaranteed money usually indicates more competition from other teams to sign the player. RB Stephen Houston next at $22.5k"

Worth noting since the Patriots didn't draft a linebacker and need depth at the position behind Mayo, Hightower, and Collins. They also signed UDFA Iowa LB James Morris, who I think has a good chance to make the team as well. For what it's worth, Stephen Houston was the 2nd highest RB according to the SPARQ measurements the Seahawks frequently use, so it's possible the Patriots and Seahawks were competing for Houston's services.

Matrix

I have but a few "wants" for this season:
4) 2 pick sixes vs Schaub so I can see how it feels to be on the other end.

That's it.....for now

I need this... I need this badly.

Though if it's anything like a Rockets game against a scrub/former player, Schoob is gonna have a career day lol

Top Bottom