• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Greg

Went to the doctor so he could check out my knee. He thought I had a great knee.

Then I went to the driving range since I have no class today, and it was fucking terrible. Like it was my first time playing. Wanted to break a club or 2. Maybe beat up an old lady with my iron 7.
I'm glad your knee is great

you can outdrive Tiger Woods right now

Tiger Woods

maybe if he wasn't concerned about recovery

I have faith in Dutch!

tumblr_loemmfj6yc1qgvcls.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

effzee

I didn't say he was a bum but he is not as good as last year. Especially on defense.

Stats back me and so does the eye test. It just hasn't been apparent in the playoff yet because of how bad the East is.

His fg% still went up as it does every year.

The whole team seems lazier but yeah I agree we don't see as many triple doubles, chase down blocks, and lock down D.

I do think we will see it when or if they play Indiana next round or whoever they play in the finals.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/10930610/nfl-way-too-early-2015-nfl-mock-draft

So McShay has his mock draft out for 2015. I know, silly, but what is somewhat useful is draft order is from Football Outsider's predictions for 2014. So 5 worst/best teams

1Raiders
2Browns
3Jags
4Skins
5Jets

32Donks
31Saints
30Chickens
29Pack
28Pats

Skins will be that bad? I just don't see it.

People seem to really be down on RG3 and the whole situation as if he more than the terrible D and the Shanahans was the problem. I can easily see the Redskins go from worst to first like the Eagles just did a season ago.

dionysus

Yaldog
Skins will be that bad? I just don't see it.

People seem to really be down on RG3 and the whole situation as if he more than the terrible D and the Shanahans was the problem. I can easily see the Redskins go from worst to first like the Eagles just did a season ago.

What evidence is their that RG3 is a franchise QB though? I always apply a discount factor to the rookie season for QBs because it takes a while for defenses to learn their weaknesses. If the QB doesn't make continuous progress the dropoff is inevitable, and that is what we say in 2013 where he was pretty average.

Wrayfield

At least he is better than Bradley.

Yeah, probably. Tbh, he's probably a good choice for you guys at the stage you're in. Just not a big fan of his in general.

What about the Dutch (It's going to be a mess :( )?!

I think so :'(. If Robben weren't on that team, I'd straight out support them, but I cannot suffer that fool.

Think it's gonna be Brazil (Uruguay could Suarez-flop their way into the final, too, imo), also obviously never discount the Spaniards but I think they won enough. Basta ya.

bionic77

His fg% still went up as it does every year.

The whole team seems lazier but yeah I agree we don't see as many triple doubles, chase down blocks, and lock down D.

I do think we will see it when or if they play Indiana next round or whoever they play in the finals.
Its not laziness. Making it to the Finals that many years in a row wears you down mentally and physically. Wade seems used up 4 years after he seemed like the best player on the Heat when they lost to Dallas. LeBron peaked the very next year and while he is still really good I can see the slight decline in his energy. Before he seemed to be able to play 2 way at full speed for 45 minutes a game. Now you see him having to conserve his energy.

Bosh is the guy who seems to somehow be better now than he was when they started. I think that was probably because Spoelstra didn't know how to use him in the beginning (or any of them for that matter). Bosh is like their most clutch player and makes so many big players for them throughout the game on both offense and defense. It seems insane form e to say that about him now considering how vilified he was during that loss to Dallas. But that dude has come a long way.

They have also lost a lot of depth. Which hurts but is normal when you are on top. Eventually the owners start getting a little cheap with that luxury tax.

Like I said everything ends and when it does it ends with a bang without much advance warning. I speak from experience having witness the rise and the fall of two Laker teams that went to the Finals 3 years in a row.

As great as that first Lakers team that won the 3 peat was (much better than this Heat team IMHO), they still needed A LOT of luck to win 3 straight titles. Not in every series of course, but at key moments. They just ran out of gas in 2003 and it was shocking to see the Spurs just destroy them because no one saw it coming. I can see the exact same thing happening to the Heat this year if the Spurs come to the Finals @ 100%. Have no faith in OKC.

And go Team USA! I hope we can make some noise during this Cup. It will take a ton of luck but the team is solid.

effzee

What evidence is their that RG3 is a franchise QB though? I always apply a discount factor to the rookie season for QBs because it takes a while for defenses to learn their weaknesses. If the QB doesn't make continuous progress the dropoff is inevitable, and that is what we say in 2013 where he was pretty average.

Well that's the first I am hearing about applying a discount factor in favor of rookie QBs.

Outside of a handful of rookie QBs, most all rookie QBs struggle mightily in the NFL their first few seasons. Not just their first season.

The Redskins had a terrible D in his rookie season. He was their entire offense with Alfred Morris. They still had a terrible D last year (worse even) and the worst special teams unit in the NFL. He was coming off of an ACL tear which occurred in Jan of last year so he didn't even have the usual length of time most players have to recover from the surgery.

For most players not named Adrien Peterson, an injury like that takes two full seasons before a player gets back to normal. Even then RG3 for as average or bad as he looked at times last year, was not the biggest problem on the team. Their D and special teams as I mentioned were atrocious. Just awful. Then you had the drama with coach and his son who let it be known from day 1 they didn't like the pick of RG3. There was obvious friction there but they are gone now.

The whole NFCE had terrible defenses, with the Giants being the best out of the group. I think the Giants D will still be the most improved followed by the Redskins. Even then this division is not like the NFCW obviously with powerhouse defenses. The Redskins offense will be much improved. They still have a great running game, RG3 two years removed from his injury, no more Shanahan crap, added Desean Jackson, and because they were last in the East last season, they will have the easiest schedule.

Wouldn't shock me to see them end up anywhere from 7 wins to 11 wins. Certainly not bottom 5 in the league.

effzee

Its not laziness. Making it to the Finals that many years in a row wears you down mentally and physically. Wade seems used up 4 years after he seemed like the best player on the Heat when they lost to Dallas. LeBron peaked the very next year and while he is still really good I can see the slight decline in his energy. Before he seemed to be able to play 2 way at full speed for 45 minutes a game. Now you see him having to conserve his energy.

Bosh is the guy who seems to somehow be better now than he was when they started. I think that was probably because Spoelstra didn't know how to use him in the beginning (or any of them for that matter). Bosh is like their most clutch player and makes so many big players for them throughout the game on both offense and defense. It seems insane form e to say that about him now considering how vilified he was during that loss to Dallas. But that dude has come a long way.

They have also lost a lot of depth. Which hurts but is normal when you are on top. Eventually the owners start getting a little cheap with that luxury tax.

Like I said everything ends and when it does it ends with a bang without much advance warning. I speak from experience having witness the rise and the fall of two Laker teams that went to the Finals 3 years in a row.

As great as that first Lakers team that won the 3 peat was (much better than this Heat team IMHO), they still needed A LOT of luck to win 3 straight titles. Not in every series of course, but at key moments. They just ran out of gas in 2003 and it was shocking to see the Spurs just destroy them because no one saw it coming. I can see the exact same thing happening to the Heat this year if the Spurs come to the Finals @ 100%. Have no faith in OKC.

And go Team USA! I hope we can make some noise during this Cup. It will take a ton of luck but the team is solid.

Agree with most your points. I still think Lebron will turn it up even more though their cruise control style has to catch up to them sometime. Lucky for them they play in the East.

Bosh is severely underrated and shit on for no reason. He can shoot the 3, has a post game, blocks shots, and took the most reduced role to be a part of this team.

With all that said lets go Heat! 3 peat will be very cool and at the very least the finals should be a lot of fun.

What school do you go to chris? I've been considering USC for my MA.

That or going to school overseas, but idk if I want to pile on the debt or not, and take that dumb test (if I stay in the states), yet.

I go to a community college right now but I'll be transferring to cal state Northridge next year

Tom Penny

If the Heat were in the West they would have been lucky to get 1 finals never mind 3 in a row and 4 this year. Them getting to the finals is the like the Pats winning the division. Almost always a cakewalk.

Top Bottom