• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

MechDX

The Browns history at pick No. 22: Brady Quinn (2007), Brandon Weeden (2012), Johnny Manziel (2014).
Twitter

Brandonweedenface.jpeg

photo-main.jpg

Hahaha, love it.

Welcome to last week

Was just about to say that. lol

dionysus

Yaldog
Well that's the first I am hearing about applying a discount factor in favor of rookie QBs.

Outside of a handful of rookie QBs, most all rookie QBs struggle mightily in the NFL their first few seasons. Not just their first season.

Your right about rookie QBs struggling on average. I guess I should say that I apply a discount factor for the ones who do extremely well in the rookie season. Anyway, a brief glance at recent rookie stats doesn't seem to hold with my hypothesis though. Freeman improved, Luck improved, Dalton improved; so I will just shut up now.

ShaneB

If the Heat were in the West they would have been lucky to get 1 finals never mind 3 in a row and 4 this year. Them getting to the finals is the like the Pats winning the division. Almost always a cakewalk.

They smashed the Nets, that's all that mattered. Now it just would be nice to see the Pacers beat the Heat.

edit: also, fuck work. with people away now I've got too much shit to do with no interest in doing any of it =( Hurry up long weekend.

squicken

Where do they rate the Bills?

Also no way the Browns are second worse next year.

FO projections are really flat. Like 3/4 of the league is 6-10 to 10-6

Browns pick 2nd at 6-10, Bills 10th at 7-9. It does say these are early projections, so it could change when FO Almanac comes out later this summer

The dirty secret surrounding the Heat is that the team has actually gotten worse every year in this Big 3 experiment.

The first year was actually the best team and that team had no business losing to Dallas (they actually steamrolled through a much tougher Eastern conference playoffs and would've beaten Dallas in 5 or less had Lebron showed up).

2012 the team surrounding him was worse, but Lebron was so otherworldly that he papered over it and put them on his back and carried them to a ring. They were basically dead in the water twice before they got to the finals that year and Lebron (with a little assist from Wade) brought them back. Game 4 in the Eastern Conference Semis against Indiana down 2-1 and Game 6 in the EC Finals against the Celtics down 3-2.

2013 Lebron was playing at the same level and Bosh was better, but Wade was basically super washed up at that point. They had a dogfight against Indiana in the ECF and then were incredibly fortunate to beat the Spurs in the Finals. The Spurs weren't even at full strength and still were two missed free throws and a rebound away from winning Game 6.

Now in 2014, they all just looked tired and bored. They've played over 400 NBA games in the Big 3 Era. Lebron got his rings, the haters off his back, and the love of most casual fans back. He just doesn't have the same hunger anymore. Bosh is still good, but Wade is just showing up for the check. The surrounding cast is full of olds (Ray Allen), bums (Norris Cole), and bum olds (Rashard Lewis). And they still don't have a big man worth a damn because the Greg Oden experiment failed.

cashman

Banned
The dirty secret surrounding the Heat is that the team has actually gotten worse every year in this Big 3 experiment.

The first year was actually the best team and that team had no business losing to Dallas (they actually steamrolled through a much tougher Eastern conference playoffs and would've beaten Dallas in 5 or less had Lebron showed up).

It's called coaching. Lebron is pretty much a Scott Brooks and a Ray Allen 3 away from being ringless.

squicken

e: damn that sucks kas. Good luck. Hope it is just a strain or soemthing

====

B/R Warning: Marvin Lewis on Dalton, McCarron

I asked Lewis if McCarron could be a safety net in the event the Bengals can't extend Dalton's contract, or in case he fails to take his game to the next level.

"We won't know that because AJ will never get enough opportunity to prove he can do that unless Andy is not here," Lewis said. "You can't get two quarterbacks prepared to play. The football team needs to know who the leader is all the time, in my opinion."

The plan is for Dalton, McCarron and veteran Jason Campbell to split preseason time about equally. But in training camp, Lewis said Dalton will get eight out of 12 reps, with Campbell and McCarron getting two apiece.

This is what I was saying with JFF and Hoyer. If the coach splits the reps, he stunts the growth of the young player and makes it harder for Hoyer (if he is starting) to succeed

e2

• Tony Grossi reported on ESPNCleveland.com that a source told him before the team picked Johnny Manziel that the Browns representative in New York turned in a card with Teddy Bridgewater's name on it. Then, upon owner Jimmy Haslam's order, a second card with Johnny Manziel's card was turned in.

Cleveland denied the report. But a source from another team who was stationed near the Browns representative in New York said Cleveland had two cards filled out prior to its pick being turned in, and one of the cards was eventually ripped up.

The name written on the card that was torn up is where the mystery lies.

hmmmm

Crisco

Banned
The woman claims that Hardy smashed her into a bathtub, strangled her, and threw her onto a pile of loaded guns. Yet, she doesn't seek medical attention for any injuries, sustains only minor scratches and bruises, has no marks on her neck, and the police report doesn't mention a single weapon. I have no doubt that Hardy probably yelled some crazy shit at her and maybe even physically engaged her, but she definitely seems to be exaggerating the extent of his behavior. Also, Hardy making a 911 call with a pile of loaded weapons and a woman he'd just beaten half to death on his bed doesn't make any sense.

e: damn that sucks kas. Good luck. Hope it is just a strain or soemthing

====

B/R Warning: Marvin Lewis on Dalton, McCarron

This is what I was saying with JFF and Hoyer. If the coach splits the reps, he stunts the growth of the young player and makes it harder for Hoyer (if he is starting) to succeed

e2

hmmmm

Eh. I'm tired of all these "So and so was gonna draft X" conspiracy theories. Most of them are bullshit anyway. The Gilbert Beckham one from last week was, anyway.

squicken

Eh. I'm tired of all these "So and so was gonna draft X" conspiracy theories. Most of them are bullshit anyway. The Gilbert Beckham one from last week was, anyway.

CLE is going to have to put up with that kind of stuff until they win and Haslam shows he isn't a crazy person. There's also a note in that column about Shazier

----

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...orv-turner-decide-on-teddy-bridgewater#!NJbU2

Another post from Dan Pompei, this one on Teddy Bridgewater

Tamanon

Banned
It's been hot as hell the past week here in NC. It's fucking annoying, since I don't have a car until next week, so can't even go to the beach to take advantage.

rando14

Man this Aaron hernandez stuff is so creepy. Guy just drives up and kills two dudes, then just reports to training camp like two freakin weeks later and plays ball? Yikes!!

So Pats fans did spend a whole year cheering for a double murderer. What's it like to be a Ravens' fans?

They aren't allowed to make fun of us anymore.

Lewis was only ever accused of one murder, which is three times as much as Hernandez has been accused of (currently)!

It is going to be over 100 this week in Vegas. Our AC basically stopped working and we had a guy from our home warranty come out and look at it. He said the problem was that the compressor on it was for a 4 ton unit but we have a 5 ton unit so it burned it out. They refused to replace it since they said we should have noticed it during our home inspection, like I was going to get up on the roof or even know that it was the wrong size by looking at it. It cost us $8000 to have it replaced. While the guy was on our roof replacing the AC he said that our roof is mess up and needs to be replaced, so that will be another $10000. This place is becoming such a money pit. Had to pay a $1000 a month ago to get a leak in the pool fixed.

They aren't allowed to make fun of us anymore.

Lewis was only ever accused of one murder, which is three times as much as Hernandez has been accused of (currently)!

We stopped rooting for him the moment we were aware of what he did.

You kept rooting for him for years afterwards. Pretty significant difference.

ShaneB

It is going to be over 100 this week in Vegas. Our AC basically stopped working and we had a guy from our home warranty come out and look at it. He said the problem was that the compressor on it was for a 4 ton unit but we have a 5 ton unit so it burned it out. They refused to replace it since they said we should have noticed it during our home inspection, like I was going to get up on the roof or even know that it was the wrong size by looking at it. It cost us $8000 to have it replaced. While the guy was on our roof replacing the AC he said that our roof is mess up and needs to be replaced, so that will be another $10000. This place is becoming such a money pit. Had to pay a $1000 a month ago to get a leak in the pool fixed.

=(

Sorry to hear that man.

We stopped rooting for him the moment we were aware of what he did.

You kept rooting for him for years afterwards. Pretty significant difference.

I wanted him off the team. Innocent or guilty, it was an unwanted distraction, and then he brought another with his dumb speeches every game. Him retiring after the 2012 SB win was great

until he fucking took the ESPN gig

ed: Get well soon kas

CLE is going to have to put up with that kind of stuff until they win and Haslam shows he isn't a crazy person. There's also a note in that column about Shazier

----

From the small glimpses we've gotten of the Steelers draft board, Shazier was high on their priority list. There were 3 receivers above him (Watkins, Evans, and Beckham maybe?) and the first ranked corner was below him, which would throw the Gilbert thing out immediately.

Didn't you just move there recently?

Colasante

Hernandez filed grievances against the Patriots for over $6 million in salary, including a $3.25 million deferred payment of his signing bonus that is due March 31. The Patriots have a $7.5 million cap charge relating to the final three years of signing bonus proration from the $12.5 million signing bonus he received in his 2012 contract extension.

If Hernandez is charged in connection to the July 2012 double murder in Boston -- before him signing his extension -- language in his contract should give the Patriots grounds to recoup his entire signing bonus and end his grievance. Hernandez's contract contains a clause where he represents and warrants that there weren't any existing circumstances when he signed his deal that would prevent his continued availability throughout the contract. Committing or participating in a double murder should meet this standard. There's another clause explicitly stating that the Patriots wouldn't have entered into the contract except for Hernandez's representations. At a minimum, the Patriots would gain $3.25 million in cap space from the unpaid signing bonus installment. Any additional cap relief would come only from money that was recovered from Hernandez, which may not be any given his circumstances.

The Patriots' cap hit for Hernandez should finally come off the books now. If only they had that cap space at the beginning of free agency.

Top Bottom