• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

MechDX

Luck is too fast.

iexOrHYeN9Ait.gif

Luck: HA! Ill just go away from Watt!
runs other way into Clowney
Luck:Dammit trent!

minx

Detroit Lions 2014 draft picks:

Round 1: Pick #10 (#10)
Round 2: Pick #13 (#45)
Round 3: Pick #12 (#76)
Round 4: Pick #11 (#111)
Round 4: Pick #33 (#133) *compensatory*
Round 4: Pick #36 (#136) *compensatory*
Round 6: Pick #13 (#187)
Round 7: Pick #12 (#227)

We're loaded with picks this year and we can throw in picks for next year. Screw DBs we are one offensive weapon from being Superbowl contenders. Martin Mayhews job is probably on the line this year and I don't think Justin Gilbert is going to help us win games as opposed to Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans. He knows that and the Lions brass knows that.

A trio of Megatron, Sammy Watkins and Golden Tate would have Stafford dropping another 40 TDs like he did in 2011 when he had Titus Young and Nate Burleson opposite of Megatron.

Oh and Mel Kiper just said Jadeveon Clowney is a "once every 25 year defensive end" :jnc

alg_steelers_ben-roethlisberger.jpg

The accusations leveled against me are unfair and false. I just want to focus on football.

One offensive weapon away from Super Bowl contenders? Bahahahaha oh how I missed you Kas.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
One offensive weapon away from Super Bowl contenders? Bahahahaha oh how I missed you Kas.

Our offensive line is one of the best, and youngest, in the league. We have a solid running back corp, with potentially one more added through the draft. We have the best wide receiver in the game, and a solid #3 receiver in Golden Tate. Our new offensive coordinator, Joe Lombardi, comes from the school of Sean Payton and our head coach has been to two Super Bowls.

And best of all our 26 year old QB in a bad year still throws close to 5,000 yards and 29 TDs all while his horrible receiving core led the league in drops.

This team is already young and talented and we have a load of draft picks. One more playmaker opposite of Megatron whether it be Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckman Jr. or Kelvin Benjamin will put us at the top of the league. Certainly in terms of offensive statistics.

Our downfall last year was mainly due to our coaching staff and the horrible calls they made on offense.

Can someone explain the hype for Lewan? I'm watching some tape of the guy and I don't get it. One example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cpIkjW-CY4#t=600

Yeah you can say its Clowney and all but if that isn't the most effective tape to watch to get an idea about the kid....

He's linked to the Giants often and we had him for a pre-draft visit and I frankly want nothing to do with him at 12.

You know the Seahawks had to blow a game in the 2nd round of the playoffs with 30 ish seconds to go to be true Super Bowl contenders.

The Lions? Not making the playoffs makes you super bowl contenders!

rando14

Our offensive line is one of the best, and youngest, in the league. We have a solid running back corp, with potentially one more added through the draft. We have the best wide receiver in the game, and a solid #3 receiver in Golden Tate. Our new offensive coordinator, Joe Lombardi, comes from the school of Sean Payton and our head coach has been to two Super Bowls.

And best of all our 26 year old QB in a bad year still throws close to 5,000 yards and 29 TDs all while his horrible receiving core led the league in drops.

This team is already young and talented and we have a load of draft picks. One more playmaker opposite of Megatron whether it be Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckman Jr. or Kelvin Benjamin will put us at the top of the league. Certainly in terms of offensive statistics.

Our downfall last year was mainly due to our coaching staff and the horrible calls they made on offense.

I'm picking up Stafford as my fantasy quarterback, that's for damn sure man!!

I had no idea the Giants passed on Reggie White in the USFL Supplemental Draft. Wow. LT and Reggie, what could have been!

:(

We took Zimmerman instead who wanted nothing to do with playing in NY. Hard to say it was entirely "wrong". Zimmerman is a Hall of Famer, afterall but when the player outright tells the GM he doesn't want to play for your team....

minx

How often do rookie wide receivers make huge impact on offenses? Hint: The answer is very rarely.

squicken

C
He's linked to the Giants often and we had him for a pre-draft visit and I frankly want nothing to do with him at 12.

He's okay I think. Not as good as the top two LTs, but I think he'll be a solid starter. Pro system at school. Good measurables and athleticism. I don't think he'll ever be a perennial Pro Bowler, though.

He seems to be a giant dick, but NFL teams love that in linemen. It's not the greatest draft for linemen, so I think the scarcity helps him a bit

He's okay I think. Not as good as the top two LTs, but I think he'll be a solid starter. Pro system at school. Good measurables and athleticism. I don't think he'll ever be a perennial Pro Bowler, though.

He seems to be a giant dick, but NFL teams love that in linemen. It's not the greatest draft for linemen, so I think the scarcity helps him a bit

He returned for his senior year and didn't improve. He didn't dominate the way he should have, and crossed the line with dirty play against MSU.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...its-blatant-dirty-play-could-face-suspension/

He looks like an NFL LT, so I'd still take him mid to late 1st but I wouldn't be happy about it and there's 3 or 4 guys I'd rather have instead. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same group as Robinson and Matthews.

JABEE

Eli Manning and Josh Freeman are going to be teammates. I can't wait for the NFL season.

I didn't realize, but all of GAF's QB Goobs are in the NFC East. Sanchez, Weeden, Manning, and Freeman.

Can someone explain the hype for Lewan? I'm watching some tape of the guy and I don't get it. One example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cpIkjW-CY4#t=600

Yeah you can say its Clowney and all but if that isn't the most effective tape to watch to get an idea about the kid....

Eh, it's highly unlikely he'll fall that far anyway, so probably not worth thinking about.

He was the no. 1 ranked OT before the season started and has the best feet and is the fastest. But he lacks the strength and power of G-Rob and the polish and technique of Matthews. 48 starts at LT, and 41 straight. He's fiery and has a nasty streak, plays til the end of the whistle and then some.

He's facing assault charges for a bar fight tho, so not sure if that will hurt his stock (doubtful.)

Syrinx

So just remind me: how is this draft gonna work? Does each team use all of their allotted 3 hours (or so), or do they pick whenever? Time shouldn't be a problem for me since I should be free after about 1 or so, but I just don't wanna have the Bucs pick fly over me while I'm not paying attention.

squicken

B, curious for input at #2. I would absolutely go Robinson, but since this draft is what we think the team will go, I have just read so much that the Rams don't think you draft any OL that high. Not the usual garbage about "Fisher has never drafted an OL in the first round", but more like, at the top of the draft, the goal is to find touchdown makers or guys who hit the QB. Thinking more and more it will be Watkins

With you on Lewan Future, not a top 15 talent in this draft, no fucking way.

I am friendly with a guy who covers the Rams in STL, and he swears the Rams OL coach loves Lewan. I had the same concerns as everyone here, but the Rams have a really good OL coach, so I sort of defer to him on Lewan.

And yes I know the Rams OL always sucks, but that is b/c it has no talent. That they are decent when healthy is a testament to good coaching

B, curious for input at #2. I would absolutely go Robinson, but since this draft is what we think the team will go, I have just read so much that the Rams don't think you draft any OL that high. Not the usual garbage about "Fisher has never drafted an OL in the first round", but more like, at the top of the draft, the goal is to find touchdown makers or guys who hit the QB. Thinking more and more it will be Watkins

I am friendly with a guy who covers the Rams in STL, and he swears the Rams OL coach loves Lewan. I had the same concerns as everyone here, but the Rams have a really good OL coach, so I sort of defer to him on Lewan.

And yes I know the Rams OL always sucks, but that is b/c it has no talent. That they are decent when healthy is a testament to good coaching

I think they aren't afraid of taking guys with character issues and I think they prove that every year. Since trades aren't allowed, which I think is the most likely, I think it is Clowney then Mack. I wish Fisher and Snead would take their heads out of their asses and take Robinson so we can get the dominant era of Zac Stacy we deserve.

squicken

I think they aren't afraid of taking guys with character issues and I think they prove that every year. Since trades aren't allowed, which I think is the most likely, I think it is Clowney then Mack. I wish Fisher and Snead would take their heads out of their asses and take Robinson so we can get the dominant era of Zac Stacy we deserve.

Yeah the trade thing is a killer b/c I am almost certain they want to trade down and just take one of the top 3 tackles. But if stuck at 2, and Clowney off the board? Hard to see them taking Mack since they just drafted Ogletree and pay Lauranitis $10m/yr. Who comes off the field on passing downs?

Not that I disagree. It's going to be Robinson, Mack, Clowney or Watkins if they stay at 2. Clowney obviously is the guy if somehow he is there still there. After that? Really no idea what the right answer is as far as guessing what they will do. I'd just break the tie and go Robinson since that is what I would do. Just laying out my thought process

Yeah the trade thing is a killer b/c I am almost certain they want to trade down and just take one of the top 3 tackles. But if stuck at 2, and Clowney off the board? Hard to see them taking Mack since they just drafted Ogletree and pay Lauranitis $10m/yr. Who comes off the field on passing downs?

Not that I disagree. It's going to be Robinson, Mack, Clowney or Watkins if they stay at 2. Clowney obviously is the guy if somehow he is there still there. After that? Really no idea what the right answer is as far as guessing what they will do. I'd just break the tie and go Robinson since that is what I would do. Just laying out my thought process

We're in agreement on everything but the conclusion.

I think their draft board is:

1. Clowney
2. Mack
3. Watkins
4. Robinson

I wish it was:

1. Robinson
2. Clowney
3. Watkins
4. Mack

You got the tenure and seniority. If you think it's Robinson you won't hear another dissenting opinion on my behalf :)

squicken

1. Clowney
2. Mack
3. Watkins
4. Robinson

I wish it was:

1. Robinson
2. Clowney
3. Watkins
4. Mack

You got the tenure and seniority. If you think it's Robinson you won't hear another dissenting opinion on my behalf :)

And you are just as likely to be right as I am. It's so uncertain. I appreciate the good arguments made, and it is a consensus. If other Rams fans feel as you do, I am not wedded to anything

Boose

1. Clowney
2. Mack
3. Watkins
4. Robinson

I wish it was:

1. Robinson
2. Clowney
3. Watkins
4. Mack

I'll chime in and say its very likely it would be Robinson without a trade. I think the "Rams love Mack" talk is just them trying to bait the trap for a trade if clowney gets taken by the Texans.

Also I'm kinda chilling on the Watkins love too just feel like he does a lot of what Tavon is being asked to do. If the Rams go WR early I have to think it is Evans or Matthews ( Obviously not with the #2 pick ).

And you are just as likely to be right as I am. It's so uncertain. I appreciate the good arguments made, and it is a consensus. If other Rams fans feel as you do, I am not wedded to anything

I only care about the team getting better. As I told my Uncle today, the NFL didn't do us any favors with scheduling, but it doesn't matter. The road to the Super Bowl leads through the Niners, Hawks, and Broncos not padding your record by beating weak teams.

All I'm saying is this year is either the start of something good or the end of something bad. We either win or it's purging time. If we don't win, then Fisher's gone, Snead's gone, Bradford's gone, Laurinaitis is gone, Chris and Jake Long are gone, Jared Cook is gone, probably a few others

I'll chime in and say its very likely it would be Robinson without a trade. I think the "Rams love Mack" talk is just them trying to bait the trap for a trade if clowney gets taken by the Texans.

Also I'm kinda chilling on the Watkins love too just feel like he does a lot of what Tavon is being asked to do. If the Rams go WR early I have to think it is Evans or Matthews ( Obviously not with the #2 pick ).

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Fisher is still under the delusion he can coach up later O line talent to an elite level

That being said...

Rams party in the wee hours of the morning in NFL-Gaf!

:kas!

Welcome back!

bionic77

Insane Handbook: Bills Cheerleaders Are Told How To Wash Their Vaginas

I guess they want the only thing that stinks on the field to be their team.
For there to be a rule about how to clean a dirty vagina probably means that there was someone responsible for that rule. And how bad did her vagina have to smell for them to make a rule about it?

I am ok with this. Girls should clean their vaginas. Guys should clean their asses. And everyone should wash their hands.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We're loaded with picks this year and we can throw in picks for next year. Screw DBs we are one offensive weapon from being Superbowl contenders. Martin Mayhews job is probably on the line this year and I don't think Justin Gilbert is going to help us win games as opposed to Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans. He knows that and the Lions brass knows that.

No way. He's got at least two years with a new coaching staff to pass blame on.

ShaneB

Yay Friday, but I've got a serious case of a head cold coming on and I feel like garbage. Might leave early, but we'll see.

Crazy the draft is just under 2 weeks away. Will be fun! Oddly feels like the most I've ever been excited for a Draft, just based how much coverage I've seen and how deep it is.

Top Bottom