• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

rando14

In 2006 The Texans went against the "safe pick", Reggie Bush.

They went against the "hometown favorite", Vince Young.

They took the best option in their eyes in Mario Williams.

History repeats itself:

In the 2014 NFL Draft with tue first overall pick the Houston Texans select.......Kalil Mack OLB Buffalo.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!

Crennel wants fast and built options on his defense to keep up with these high powered offenses. While Clowney is a physical freak Mack is a mote traditional 3-4 OLB and can make an immediate impact.

This selection allows them to move Brooks Reed inside next to Cushing where he can be a run stuffing thumper. Mack will play on the same side as JJ Watt which will force offenses to severly overload on side and allows Mercilus and Swearinger, playing box safety, to get free runs at the QB.

iPooqNb1zG2oU.gif

squicken

If Texans drafted Mack, STL would take Clowney in 2 seconds. For purposes here I will just assume Mack=Clowney and let whichever team below that was targeting Mack grab Clowney

Rams draft Greg Robinson

Jags on clock

MechDX

If Texans drafted Mack, STL would take Clowney in 2 seconds. For purposes here I will just assume Mack=Clowney and let whichever team below that was targeting Mack grab Clowney

Rams draft Greg Robinson

Jags on clock

Don't question me. I seriously believe if they do keep the pick this is where they go. I don't believe in two weeks they will own that pick though.

You just ruined the integrity of this draft. Good job squicken

Tamanon

Banned
Jaguars will not be in this spot most likely(they'll trade down), but Jaguars select Jadeveon Clowney as the best pure defensive athete in the draft. Gus Bradley knows how to motivate and how to coach up talent, so working with Clowney might be a dream. Plenty of vets on defense to keep pushing him and Clowney will devour poor little Locker and Luck. We'll get a QB in round 2.

Next pick!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Time for the Brownies!!!

BG make me proud.

Depending on your choice I am either playing HYFR or I hate sleeping alone by Drake.

Well I did want to do a quick 20 minute instant reaction pick where we came to a consensus on who we though the Texans would take with the first but since squicken (and Tam) can't seem to hold onto his pants long enough for me to do it....

Here's the draft order:

1. Houston Texans - Khalil Mack LB In 2006 The Texans went against the "safe pick", Reggie Bush. Crennel wants fast and built options on his defense to keep up with these high powered offenses. While Clowney is a physical freak Mack is a mote traditional 3-4 OLB and can make an immediate impact. This selection allows them to move Brooks Reed inside next to Cushing where he can be a run stuffing thumper. Mack will play on the same side as JJ Watt which will force offenses to severly overload on side and allows Mercilus and Swearinger, playing box safety, to get free runs at the QB.
----------------------------------------------------------------
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) - Greg Robinson OT If Texans drafted Mack, STL would take Clowney in 2 seconds. For purposes here I will just assume Mack=Clowney and let whichever team below that was targeting Mack grab Clowney.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jadaveon Clowney DE Jaguars will not be in this spot most likely(they'll trade down), but Jaguars select Jadeveon Clowney as the best pure defensive athlete in the draft. Gus Bradley knows how to motivate and how to coach up talent, so working with Clowney might be a dream. Plenty of vets on defense to keep pushing him and Clowney will devour poor little Locker and Luck. We'll get a QB in round 2.
4. Cleveland Browns - ON THE CLOCK
5. Oakland Raiders
6. Atlanta Falcons
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8. Minnesota Vikings
9. Buffalo Bills
10. Detroit Lions
11. Tennessee Titans
12. New York Giants
13. St. Louis Rams
14. Chicago Bears
15. Pittsburgh Steelers
16. Dallas Cowboys
17. Baltimore Ravens
18. New York Jets
19. Miami Dolphins
20. Arizona Cardinals
21. Green Bay Packers
22. Philadelphia Eagles
23. Kansas City Chiefs
24. Cincinnati Bengals
25. San Diego Chargers
26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts)
27. New Orleans Saints
28. Carolina Panthers
29. New England Patriots
30. San Francisco 49ers
31. Denver Broncos
32. Seattle Seahawks

Browns have until 5:49PM.

(updated)

Tamanon

Banned
Well I did want to do a quick 20 minute instant reaction pick where we came to a consensus on who we though the Texans would take with the first but since squicken can't seem to hold onto his pants long enough for me to do it.

Here's the draft order:

1. Houston Texans - Khalil Mack LB
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) - Greg Robinson OT
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - ON THE CLOCK
4. Cleveland Browns
5. Oakland Raiders
6. Atlanta Falcons
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8. Minnesota Vikings
9. Buffalo Bills
10. Detroit Lions
11. Tennessee Titans
12. New York Giants
13. St. Louis Rams
14. Chicago Bears
15. Pittsburgh Steelers
16. Dallas Cowboys
17. Baltimore Ravens
18. New York Jets
19. Miami Dolphins
20. Arizona Cardinals
21. Green Bay Packers
22. Philadelphia Eagles
23. Kansas City Chiefs
24. Cincinnati Bengals
25. San Diego Chargers
26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts)
27. New Orleans Saints
28. Carolina Panthers
29. New England Patriots
30. San Francisco 49ers
31. Denver Broncos
32. Seattle Seahawks

Jags have until 5:49PM.

Shit son, we're already on pick 4!

squicken

Well I asked Tam what he would do, b/c I just can't tKe Clowney. It won't happen, but it also messes up the Rams other first round pick. Browns, hold off. Let's get this settled

Well I asked Tam what he would do, b/c I just can't tKe Clowney. It won't happen, but it also messes up the Rams other first round pick. Browns, hold off. Let's get this settled

Here's the thing - its about what you think the team will do given how the draft plays out. Not what you want. You said the team would take Clowney in 2 seconds but then chose Robinson.....

Browns are on the clock.

MechDX

Using ILB depth in a 3-4 to make a #1 overall selection.

Now I've seen everything.

Yes because Mack is ready to play that spot now, Clowney will need time to adjust. You make it sound like Mack is a second half of the first round pick.

Texans have a few holes that need filling. If you can get a damn good football player to plug one while at the same time plugging another you do it.

Watkins, Matthews, and all the QBs on the board.

Browns don't Watkins. Even though hes a dynamic player and pairing him with Gordon would be great, there's plenty of great Wrs to be had in the draft that would make a great pair with Gordon. Sammy at 4 would be a bit of a luxury pick for us, i look for the Browns to look for a bigger Wr to pair with Gordon later on.

Matthews: even though i can get the thought behind taking the right tackle, i just think were in no position to me making a move like this at 4, same goes for Robinson.

With all the Qbs on the board i believe the Browns will take Blake Bortles. this is a who we think our team will take, not who we want to draft mock. Browns shouldn't play games with the QB position and hope one falls or waits for one, take the guy you like the most at 4 most, Remember what playing games with the qb position got you in WeedOn and Quinn. All the talk of no qb is worth a top pick is a little overblown. The qb position shouldn't be looked at as what can he do for us now, but what can he be for us in the long term. Finding a qb is hard, and you would hope your team isn't in a position to be picking this high in following years. take advantage of the high pick you have now.
the teams ready to compete now, we just need a trigger man. and the young qb will hopefully be able to sit behind hoyer
fuck mech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yofUF43CJ9U

waiting for Wes, and the bats opinion

I personally like the value of Van Noy in 2nd over Mack in top 5. But that's just me.

Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE 5m

@AdamSchefter @evansilva - i have been hearing that a # of teams have Watkins & Evans in a virtual tie as the best wr in the draft.

Some have Beckham up there too. Crazy stuff.

Talon

Yes because Mack is ready to play that spot now, Clowney will need time to adjust. You make it sound like Mack is a second half of the first round pick.

Texans have a few holes that need filling. If you can get a damn good football player to plug one while at the same time plugging another you do it.
BPA above all else. I don't have a fault with Mack; I'd be thrilled with him in Atlanta

But using ILB depth concerns to work yourself into a pick? ILB in a 3-4 is probably the easiest position to fill in this league outside of kicker and punter.

Slo

BPA above all else. I don't have a fault with Mack; I'd be thrilled with him in Atlanta

But using ILB depth concerns to work yourself into a pick? ILB in a 3-4 is probably the easiest position to fill in this league outside of kicker and punter.

Now I'm gonna look like an ass when I draft a punter.

MechDX

Not with your #1 and star ILB coming off back to back knee injuries.

Either way, that way its looking Atlanta will try to move up and get Clooney.

gutshot

It would be completely non-sensical for the Texans to draft Mack over Clowney. Therefore, I expect it to happen. Good pick, Mech.

But how come squicken ruined the draft?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Plinko, when BrownsGAF picks Johnny Football over Sammy Watkins trade whatever you can to the Raiders and move up to #5 and grab Watkins. Just get it done brother, we can get DBs later in the draft.

P. Schrager ‏ @ PSchrags23h
I believe the Browns will take Manziel if he's there. Haslam did not buy this team for $1 billion to see them be irrelevant. He's the pick.

P. Schrager ‏ @ PSchrags 23h
And make no mistake about it, this pick isn't Ray Farmer's and Mike Pettine's. The owner will have some say in who the Browns select 4th.
Jimmy will do the right thing, unlike me.

Top Bottom