• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Greg

I've got a Authentic LaDainian Tomlinson Chargers jersey and two cheap Lions jerseys (Jon Kitna and Kevin Smith) I got when the Team's shop was selling them cheap before the jersey change.

Wouldn't mind a Stafford jersey, to be honest. Really want a Jason Hanson one, though.
a true NFL hero

Syrinx

Is it sad if I'm watching the draft with my boys, with pizza wings and beer?

Nah, the draft is enough of an event that you could justify it.

Personally that'll have been the last day of finals for me so I'll be watching that, cleaning out my dorm, and posting on GAF.

squicken

For those who can't get enough of future Texans QB Johnny Manziel, a good piece on B/R from Jason Cole

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2031095-before-the-nfl-draft-silence-is-golden-for-johnny-manziel

"Perception shouldn't and probably won't matter with the clubs," said former Indianapolis President Bill Polian, whose son was an assistant coach on the Texas A&M staff when Manziel was a freshman. "Hard data will matter, and they will have access to [former Texas A&M offensive coordinator] Kliff Kingsbury, [Texas A&M coach] Kevin Sumlin and anybody else who has coached Johnny in his career.

"I was there when he won the job in an [A&M] intra-squad scrimmage, and I know how the people there felt about him that year…he's all football when he's in the building."

So, based on what Polian had to say and the measured praise he gave to Manziel, teams at the top of the draft shouldn't worry about Manziel's love of a good road trip, his hobnobbing with rappers or rumors about his drinking habits.

Unless…

"If he has a little success right away, he's going to be a nightmare," said an NFC scout who is prohibited by his team from commenting on the record about draft prospects. "He's going to think that his way of doing things works. … He could be really good. I love the kid. But he thinks the way he's doing things right now is perfectly OK, and he's going to learn some hard lessons at some point. You just hope it's sooner than later."

effzee

Bomani Jones with the absolute ether and truth bomb about the whole Sterling fiasco. I'd recommend everyone listen to his opinion.

On the NBA the playoffs have been a blast and its only the first round. I know many don't care for it here, but haven't missed the draft much because 3 games per night plus Flyers hockey.

I tried to join your game in PvsZ last night. I got in and hit set....then the server lost connection.

that is weird, shoot me a message next time. My wife and I were just messing around earning some coins. I cant wait until they let us buy packs, we are both going to drop $10 and unlock a bunch of classes. I was happy to see them price the coins so fair.

gutshot

that is weird, shoot me a message next time. My wife and I were just messing around earning some coins. I cant wait until they let us buy packs, we are both going to drop $10 and unlock a bunch of classes. I was happy to see them price the coins so fair.

How's the baby, bro? You guys adjusting to life as parents?

@LooneyonFox: HBO and the NFL have narrowed down the HARD KNOCKS teams to a list of three: Bears, Giants, Steelers.
So damned torn. I've said it before but as a fan, I'd LOVE to see the Giants but knowing what a distraction it is and how crazy Coughlin would be about it - I hope it doesn't happen.

Tomlin would lose his shit if they pick the Steelers.
Prepare to see much of this...

tom-coughlin-speaks.jpg

If its the Giants.

I agree. I've tried to give it several chances, but I just can't do it.

Queen is a terrible actor. And by terrible, I mean OMG AWFUL.

That whole show is a little too...CWish. I feel like they took way too little time to focus on bad ass vigilante shooting fools and taking names and too much time focusing on awkward love triangles. Get that sweet shit out of my superhero shows!

I gave it one episode after hearing all the hype and I had zero interest in continuing. Feels like some low budget abc family shit. Same thing with Agents of Shield. Everything from the production to the acting. I just can't do dramas or action shows on network tv anymore. They feel so low tier compared to the stuff that's on AMC (well just mad men now), FX and HBO.

BigAT

Coughlin has been pretty blunt in the past about not wanting to do Hard Knocks, it would be interesting to see his reaction if the NFL forced it on him.

ShaneB

On the NBA the playoffs have been a blast and its only the first round. I know many don't care for it here, but haven't missed the draft much because 3 games per night plus Flyers hockey.

Tomorrow night will be a great sports night. Two, potentially 3 Game 7's in the NHL, and Raptors game 5. A reminder that I'll have to pick up some extra snacks grocery shopping tonight.

Tamanon

Banned
My jerseys are both stalwart Jaguar players that we're really counting on this year.

Rashean Mathis and Maurice Jones-Drew!

Choice quotes from Getts on draft strategy

Bryan Strickland ‏@PanthersBryan 2m
Gentleman lists LT, WR and CB as needs but says he won't be afraid to pick a defensive lineman if value is there.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 4m
Gettleman: "When you reach, you get screwed. I shouldn't have said that. When you reach, you get in trouble."

Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP 33s
Gettleman on drafting WRs: History tells you it is hard to assimilate into the league. "It's an issue."

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers 50s
Gettleman: “We believe in defense. It is difficult to win with an average defense.”

squicken

This post is worthless without pics:

[ig]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmZj5x5IIAA26hh.jpg:large[/img]

90% certain that Grossi was sexually aroused as he was tweeting and photographing Hoyer. Oddest thing I have seen. Guy wins two games and he's the Savior of Cleveland

I kind of figured one of the old guard teams would have to step in and do it. No teams wants to do it, but the league wants the show on. If the Maras, McCaskeys and Rooneys will do it then the rest can't bitch when it is their turn

I'm torn about it. LIke I'd love to see a Series on Oakland, I just kinda hope we can get it happening when they have less turmoil going on.

Top 50 jersey sales last year:

1. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
2. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos
3. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers
4. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins
5. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
6. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
7. Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks
8. Eli Manning, New York Giants
9. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts
10. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
11. J.J. Watt, Houston Texans
12. Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks
13. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings
14. Clay Matthews, Green Bay Packers
15. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys
16. Patrick Willis, San Francisco 49ers
17. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers
18. Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots
19. Arian Foster, Houston Texans
20. Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions
21. Victor Cruz, New York Giants
22. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
23. Wes Welker, Denver Broncos
24. Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
25. LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles
26. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
27. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
28. Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens
29. DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys
30. Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
31. Brandon Marshall, Chicago Bears
32. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers
33. Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders
34. Miles Austin, Dallas Cowboys
35. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
36. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears
37. Trent Richardson, Indianapolis Colts
38. Andre Johnson, Houston Texans
39. A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals
40. Jamaal Charles, Kansas City Chiefs
41. Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints
42. Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers
43. Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers
44. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
45. Von Miller, Denver Broncos
46. Eric Decker, Denver Broncos
47. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers
48. Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons
49. Matt Forte, Chicago Bears
50. Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers

Miles Austin? WTF?

Russ is #1 qb, beast mode #1 rb, sherm #1 cb.

Good job bandwagon!

I hope the Giants get hard knocks just because I want to see if Eli really is such dork behind the scenes.
I'm betting they get chosen. Seems to be the best "story" of the three teams on the list.

- 7-9 team coming off of a disastrous season looking to bounce back
- Major roster restock in progress so a good bit of new players integrating into the system
- 2 x Super Bowl MVP QB coming off of the worst season in his career
- Notorious disciplinarian coach, the longest tenured in the NFL right now who hates the media eye in his facility
- New offense being installed for the team

Makes the most sense from a narrative standpoint.

EDIT: or not.

@mikefreemanNFL: NFL's Greg Aiello on report that Bears, Giants, Steelers are finalists for Hard Knocks: "totally inaccurate."&#8221;<whew!!

Tamanon

Banned
I assume they didn't count those stupid 12th man jerseys in the official list. Those are all over the place when Seattle comes to Charlotte.

cdyhybrid

I'm betting they get chosen. Seems to be the best "story" of the three teams on the list.

- 7-9 team coming off of a disastrous season looking to bounce back
- Major roster restock in progress so a good bit of new players integrating into the system
- 2 x Super Bowl MVP QB coming off of the worst season in his career
- Notorious disciplinarian coach, the longest tenured in the NFL right now who hates the media eye in his facility
- New offense being installed for the team

Makes the most sense from a narrative standpoint.

EDIT: or not.

Don't forget that they are heroes of the people for slaying the evil Patriots.

squicken

Texans insider on how Texans see the draft

Everybody knows the Texans are going to draft a quarterback. The question is when.

As it stands, I believe the Texans are trying to decide between defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and quarterback Johnny Manziel with the first overall pick.

I believe general manager Rick Smith will trade - but not too far down - if he gets an overwhelming offer from a team that believes the extraordinarily talented Clowney is the missing piece.

I believe if the Texans trade down a few spots and Manziel is there, they'll take him. I think if he's gone, it'll come down to outside linebacker Khalil Mack or quarterback Blake Bortles.

Top Bottom