• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

BigAT

People wont just boycott Clippers home games next year, they will boycott them on the road as well. What he did is unforgivable, and no one support the NBA again if they allow him to still be an owner. By not taking the team from him the league is sending the message that they agree with him.

Really? Don't be so naive. If no one is boycotting him now when the outrage is strongest, there's no way they do it next season.

People have the attention span of flies for most of this stuff, they wouldn't maintain it during a full offseason. If you need examples, just look at the fact that Sterling has done WAY WORSE and gotten away with it for years.

Yeah I liked the protest they did with not wearing anything with the Clippers logo on it, but they really should have done more. People need to stop accepting this kind of racism just because the offending person is old. I keep hearing people on TV in Vegas sticking up for that scumbag Bundy as well. Being born into stupidity is no excuse for continued stupidity.

Players put in years of blood, sweat, and tears into getting into this position. For many of the guys on the roster (CP3, Blake Griffin), this represents the best chance they have ever had at winning a championship. I can't expect them to throw all of that away just because of something one man said.

No, they'll do the professional thing and play their hardest right now (maybe), but when this season's over, I expect a lot of the guys on that roster to think twice about continuing their careers with the Clippers if Sterling is still there.

Although judging by the way they played on Sunday, they might just be completely mindfucked at the moment and they end up losing this series anyway.

Really? Don't be so naive. If no one is boycotting him now when the outrage is strongest, there's no way they do it next season.

People have the attention span of flies for most of this stuff, they wouldn't maintain it during a full offseason. If you need examples, just look at the fact that Sterling has done WAY WORSE and gotten away with it for years.

Yeah. At most his biggest stars will leave and the Clippers will go back to being the same old clippers they've always been.

Hate to sound cynical but only reason this is getting hype is cause this is the most relevant the Clippers have been in years.

Draxal

Yeah. At most his biggest stars will leave and the Clippers will go back to being the same old clippers they've always been.

Hate to sound cynical but only reason this is getting hype is cause this is the most relevant the Clippers have been in years.

I kinda agree, the only reason its getting play is because we have an audio record of it. But like BIgAT mentioned, Sterling has been doing this shit for years.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
blah blah....motor boat, Rolex.....grumble....Michigan,,,,,poors

something something honda something something flyover states

NBC News @NBCNews · 4m
JUST IN: @NBCNews confirms that Donald Sterling has been suspended indefinitely and fined $5M, according to a senior NBA official.

You mean suspended until he apologizes publicly?

Also lol @ 5 million like BigAT pointed out. That's like a little over $100 to your average person.

NBC News @NBCNews · 4m
JUST IN: @NBCNews confirms that Donald Sterling has been suspended indefinitely and fined $5M, according to a senior NBA official.

Couldn't expect anything more realistically. People are calling for nuclear options (ban him from ownership, dissolve the franchise) without realizing that any of those options deal with mountains of NBA bureaucracy at best and the courts at worst. You simply can't take a man's billion dollar franchise away from him overnight.

I do expect that the franchise will be sold within 3 years though.

BigAT

Even if he's "Suspended" he's still gonna make money off the Clippers right?

So essentially they're just making him sit in the corner (office) and think about what he's done.

Sorry for the Florida-level math before, it's slightly more but still insignificant. But yeah, I imagine suspension means he won't be allowed to handle the operations of the team but still will make all the profits from them.

bionic77

Couldn't expect anything more realistically. People are calling for nuclear options (ban him from ownership, dissolve the franchise) without realizing that any of those options deal with mountains of NBA bureaucracy at best and the courts at worst.

I do expect that the franchise will be sold within 3 years though.
I was hoping they gave every player free agency.

Also I think I am even more disturbed by Fox News reaction to this. They are somehow trying to blame black people (because of their incorrect reactions) instead of Sterling.

Fuck anyone that agrees with that network.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
$5 million is 0.2% of Donald Sterling's net worth.

Sorry for the stupid math earlier.

Who cares about how much he's fined? It could be zero as long as he's strong armed out of owning the team. Either way he's still going to be rich after all this.

I was hoping they gave every player free agency.

Also I think I am even more disturbed by Fox News reaction to this. They are somehow trying to blame black people (because of their incorrect reactions) instead of Sterling.

Fuck anyone that agrees with that network.

To be fair, if they didn't want to be marginalized, they wouldn't have chosen to be black.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Even if he's "Suspended" he's still gonna make money off the Clippers right?

So essentially they're just making him sit in the corner (office) and think about what he's done.

Yup, sounds like when a cop gets "suspended indefinitely" buts it's actually full paid leave until the thing gets resolved in court.

I'm with everyone that wants to give Sterlings dumb ass the boot, but when he has billions of dollars in real estate property and cash plus ownership of a franchise worth $800 Million it's not going to be easy. The guy is one of the richest real estate developers in LA, therefore probably the world. He's going to lawyer up with the best lawyers in the world and can drag this out for years if he wants (and he probably will).

The NBA put themselves in this situation because everyone knew this is how Sterling has always been. They should've started this process years ago, but even then it wouldn't have been that easy.

Talon

Can't go to Clippers' games.
Can't go to Clippers' practices.
Can't be involved in business decisions.
Can't represent the Clippers at Ownership meetings.
Urging Board of Governors to hold a 3/4 vote to force a sale.

Dead man walking.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
NBCSports was wrong as shit, Sterling banned for life from all things NBA and fined $2.5M. Wow, crazy.

Can't even attend NBA games.

Whoa, that's great. Even if they fined him $50 Million it wouldn't be a big deal to him but hopefully he is stripped of ownership rights.

It'll be interesting to see if Sterling decides to take this to court. Silver making this move is good for NBA PR though.

Edit: And he is stripped of ownership rights. Great move by the NBA.

BigAT

HOLY SHIT, Fox News reporter defending Sterling at the press conference.

"...comments made in private, isn't this a slippery slope?"

Silver gave the man that Pete Rose treatment damn.

Like I said, it will take some bureaucracy to force Sterling completely out, but I didn't expect the commish to go that hard. That's basically the extent of his unilateral powers.

Talon

This is a major victory for the mistresses of rich white men everywhere.
More like a win for his estranged wife.

Estranged wife sues mistress for $1.8 million.
Mistress blackmails Sterling.
Sterling spins his own noose.

Damn. Silver intimates that Sterling hasn't shown remorse.

Draxal

Silver gave the man that Pete Rose treatment damn.

Like I said, it will take some bureaucracy to force Sterling completely out, but I didn't expect the commish to go that hard. That's basically the extent of his unilateral powers.

Yeah, kinda shocked that he went all in, but then again I think Sterling had to see that the writing was on the wall.

Schott sold her team pretty fast after the second banning iirc.

Yeah I knew there was no way the league could let him still own the team. Hopefully people will finally stop dealing with his real estate company after this as well.

TheFatOne

HOLY SHIT, Fox News reporter defending Sterling at the press conference.

"...comments made in private, isn't this a slippery slope?"

I think it was a swipe at Marc Cubans quote.

Cuban said before Game 4 of the Mavericks-San Antonio Spurs series. "Because this is a very slippery slope. What Donald said was wrong. It was abhorrent. There's no place for racism in the NBA, any business I'm associated with, and I don't want to be associated with people who have that position."

"But at the same time, that's a decision I make. I think you've got to be very, very careful when you start making blanket statements about what people say and think, as opposed to what they do. It's a very, very slippery slope"

DMczaf

From BCT

0CjkYfh.jpg

This will get a lot of use for future bannings.

Yeah I knew there was no way the league could let him still own the team. Hopefully people will finally stop dealing with his real estate company after this as well.

He still owns the team in that he signs the checks and collects profits, but I don't expect that to last for long. Even if the rest of the league ownership doesn't have the votes to force him out, I think he's going to be under so much pressure that he has to sell. He basically no longer exists in the eyes of the NBA.

Tinfoil Hat Time: This was clearly all set-up between Magic and Sterling's girlfriend to get Sterling to take the fall and sell the franchise to Magic and his business partners.

That dude's a smooth operator

Top Bottom