• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was this posted? Exhaustive Trufant vs. Rhodes study from a NYG POV.
This is great, thanks. Just watching the video on Rhodes and not having read the summaries he's posted (I'm getting to that), I'm a little frustrated by his technique in press. He's known as a press guy but the one handed jams are sloppy as shit. He does a good job turning his hips and his size and speed help to compensate but DB coaches in the NFL will be all over his ass with that one handed bullshit he's pulling.

I don't know if that's mentioned at all but I suppose I'll find out as I read through it.

(I should mention that I don't think Rhodes is a good outright fit for the Giants. Our corners do mix up coverages and play press but they are in a primarily zone scheme which may limit his contribution right off the bat)

Draxal

This is great, thanks. Just watching the video on Rhodes and not having read the summaries he's posted (I'm getting to that), I'm a little frustrated by his technique in press. He's known as a press guy but the one handed jams are sloppy as shit. He does a good job turning his hips and his size and speed help to compensate but DB coaches in the NFL will be all over his ass with that one handed bullshit he's pulling.

I don't know if that's mentioned at all but I suppose I'll find out as I read through it.

(I should mention that I don't think Rhodes is a good outright fit for the Giants. Our corners do mix up coverages and play press but they are in a primarily zone scheme which may limit his contribution right off the bat)

He's very much a development player his technique is shit, but he has all the measurables for a great press cb.

cdyhybrid

It's definitely mentioned. They said he plays tag with the receivers.

He's very much a development player his technique is shit, but he has all the measurables for a great press cb.
Which we agree makes him a tenuous fit for us. Trufant, however is intriguing. The tape they have there shows him all over the field. They have him playing single high, they use him on blitzes and there's a good mix of off man/press. The only downside (which the article mentions) is that he could very well pull a starting job in the NFL but if the Giants grab him, it's very doubtful he would.

That would only be a downside for him though. For the Giants, they'd have a player to continue to develop until Corey is shown the door next season which I'm ok with.

Draxal

Which we agree makes him a tenuous fit for us. Trufant, however is intriguing. The tape they have there shows him all over the field. They have him playing single high, they use him on blitzes and there's a good mix of off man/press. The only downside (which the article mentions) is that he could very well pull a starting job in the NFL but if the Giants grab him, it's very doubtful he would.

That would only be a downside for him though. For the Giants, they'd have a player to continue to develop until Corey is shown the door next season which I'm ok with.

Rhodes's a bad fit, but it wouldn't suprise me if the Giants drafted him because they believe in Giunta. Coughlin's biggest strength is developing players, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but it also could be a Beckum/Barden/Sintim situation where there's a huge disconnect between front office and coaching staff. I do think that Trufant's not an ideal fit, but he'd be better than Webster almost immediately (I like Webster but I do think it's style clash that Fewell's worked on but with Webster's detoriating skills its not really worth it anymore).

Fwiw's my boss does think Trufant's the pick, I'm hoping Warmack, but I'm thinking it's going to be Carradine.

I also don't think Rhodes is goign to be there, the NFL's a copycat league, and big cbs are in.

Draxal

How much longer does Coughlin have though, really? He's 67 or so? Can't imagine him coaching in his 70s.

Gut feeling (and this is shared by a lot of people) is when Snee leaves he leaves (his son in law). I think this or next year might be Snee's last year (I know his cap number is gigantic due to all the restructures he has done).

welks9oax.jpg

As an expert in all things Shirtless, I can tell that this is bad. It's clear Peyton feeds him chocolate and stuff. Fucking Peyton.

This is the best thing ever.

Film breakdown on Dion Jordan for those interested on BBV as well:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/4/9/4196996/film-study-dion-jordan-oregon

So, the big question remains. What is Dion Jordan in the NFL? Is he Aldon Smith part two, the next long, explosive, pass rushing beast?

In my humble opinion... Nope. From what I've seen Jordan simply lacks the girth, and the frame to add that girth, to be an effective pass rusher on a regular basis in the NFL. He has great length, speed, flexibility and agility, but it's too easy for a blocker to push him around. Case in point: Levine Toilolo manhandles Jordan several times, both in pass protection and run blocking, and Toilolo is hardly known as a ferocious blocker. Or even a very good one.

To my eye Jordan is at his best when he's given space to operate in. Either using his athleticism to get to a run play or in coverage. He could be an effective blitzer, but only on occasion. I think Jordan would be best used shutting down tight ends and running backs over the middle and giving the real pass rushers time to work.

I think his best position in the NFL is as a 4-3 SAM linebacker. There he doesn't have to worry about taking on blockers as often or at least big ones, and is taken off the line so he can use his gifts to their fullest. And in that role I think he fits perfectly with the Giants, providing (along with JWill) airtight, long, and supremely athletic coverage over the middle and two effective potential blitzers.

Talon

That's a prime ass job when it opens up. You have a franchise QB, a great FO and one of the best owners in all of sports.

Assuming a guy like Cowher is willing to just be a coach and not demand FO calls.

That's a prime ass job when it opens up. You have a franchise QB, a great FO and one of the best owners in all of sports.

Assuming a guy like Cowher is willing to just be a coach and not demand FO calls.
He'll be passed along that much quicker. He won't get it.

I also think Coughlin plays out the current two year contract and retires. He doesn't seem like he wants to hang it up yet but the grind of the NFL has to begin to wear eventually.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't think Cowher or Tony Dungy are ever coming back to the NFL. Jon Gruden is the only "maybe" just because he's only in his late 40s.

Draxal

I think they go inhouse in all honesty, and while I think our FO's done a good job. In retrospect I don't think Coughlin gets enough credit from Giants fans and Reese gets too much credit. Reese has missed on alot of lower round draft picks recently; and this is coming from a guy who wanted Coughlin gone in 2006.

He'll be passed along that much quicker. He won't get it.

I also think Coughlin plays out the current two year contract and retires. He doesn't seem like he wants to hang it up yet but the grind of the NFL has to begin to wear eventually.

Which pretty coincides with Snee's leaving (which I think will have a huge effect on him, I think Eli/Diehl/Snee are easily his three favorite players).

Why do you say that?
If a condition of taking the job is he gets personnel and FO powers, he won't be the head coach of the Giants. The organization is not structured that way. Coughlin and his staff certainly get say in the draft room but final personnel decisions are made by the front office (Reese and company).

If Cowher wants to come in and coach, he can coach. If he thinks he's getting the keys to the franchise ala Andy Reid in KC, good luck with that.

If a condition of taking the job is he gets personnel and FO powers, he won't be the head coach of the Giants. The organization is not structured that way. Coughlin and his staff certainly get say in the draft room but final personnel decisions are made by the front office.

If Cowher wants to come in and coach, he can coach. If he thinks he's getting the keys to the franchise ala Andy Reid in KC, good luck with that.

Ah.

Cowher is just an albatross for teams who need a coach anyway. If he didn't take the Eagles job when it came up I doubt there's some other miracle team or franchise he would want.

Draxal

Ah.

Cowher is just an albatross for teams who need a coach anyway. If he didn't take the Eagles job when it came up I doubt there's some other miracle team or franchise he would want.

I don't remember the break up that much, but how bad was the breakup between the Steelers and Cowher. If it was negative at all, there is zero chance he would be the head coach of the Giants.

I don't remember the break up that much, but how bad was the breakup between the Steelers and Cowher. If it was negative at all, there is zero chance he would be the head coach of the Giants.

It was amicable. Cowher was clearly checked out after the Super Bowl win. I really believe him when he says he has no interest in coming back, especially after his wife passed.

MechDX

It was amicable. Cowher was clearly checked out after the Super Bowl win. I really believe him when he says he has no interest in coming back, especially after his wife passed.

I remember reading a couple article from Ed Bouchette a few years ago that Cowher was only interested in the Giants or Texans job. He supposedly liked Houston because of the talent level already in place and a hands off owner willing to spend

Talon

I like this culture of personality that's developed around Chucky like he was some genius as a coach.

Guy was obsessed with making wine out of water with Brian Griese and Chris Simms.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I like this culture of personality that's developed around Chucky like he was some genius as a coach.

Guy was obsessed with making wine out of water with Brian Griese and Chris Simms.

I will perpetuate whatever I have to about Gruden to get him off of MNF!

Gruden is the greatest coach of all time!!! That guy is a football coach!!! He has the mind, the drive, and the hunger to coach any position in football!

MechDX

Gruden is the greatest coach of all time!!! That guy is a football coach!!! He has the mind, the drive, and the hunger to coach any position in football!

I'd take him over mr personality

gary_kubiak_sm.jpg

And his son Matt

Talon

He's just a football announcer!
I'd take him over mr personality
He'd cut Schaub, sign Dan Orlovsky and diddle daddle between Yates and Orlovsky for three years, while refusing to give Arian the ball more than 20 times a game.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

If Gruden ever became a coach again, he'd bring Jeff Garcia out of retirement.

Talon

Hasn't happened with Herm Edwards or Mangenius!

It's true that Mike Lombardi somehow bamboozled a NFL FO into hiring him. Also: Jim Mora (not Jr. they have different middle names!). I look forward to the second year of the Mora cycle in UCLA.
If Gruden ever became a coach again, he'd bring Jeff Garcia out of retirement.
:jnc

This is true.

Godslay

Banned
I'm sure they're all looking forward to next year's first round exit. #BringBackTebow

Too bad it was second round bro! Add into that Elway lost 3 before he won two, not counting all the years they didn't do jack. I'll give Peyton the benefit of the doubt. Peytonand the Gata's doppleganger (little fat Welker) look smooth together.

cdyhybrid

Too bad it was second round bro! Add into that Elway lost 3 before he won two, not counting all the years they didn't do jack. I'll give Peyton the benefit of the doubt. Peytonand the Gata's doppleganger (little fat Welker) look smooth together.

Being fat never stopped anyone! Look at Freeman and Rapist. Stafford is morbidly obese and is apparently a top 5 QB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom