• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruz is a very different type of slot WR than Welker and Amendola. Worth closer to $10m than $6m imo
Chuck mentioned about getting real so lets get real - the Giants have placed a value on Victor Cruz that they are willing to pay him. This team rarely if ever substantially changes that dollar value much less with an RFA who has no leverage. So what YOU or I value him doesn't really matter, right? The team is going to argue that Welker took a two year deal for 6 million dollars a year and he's got production through the roof. Cruz and his agent are going to argue the opposite and that he's a different player. That's what matters and that's what will determine a contract.

Reality? I've said before that there's little chance the Giants keep both Nicks and Cruz unless one of them is willing to take lesser money. It's not feasible to pay both 10 million/yr.

bionic77

What's the deal with that baseball player grabbing that other dude's wiener while they were fighting? Pretty weird
Baseball is so boring that they need to somehow add some excitement to the game. They took away steroids so now all they have left is grabbing wieners.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Every time someone gets hurt in baseball, all the writers want to change the rules. No more running over the catcher, someone got hurt. No more charging the mound, someone got hurt. No more diving for balls, someone got hurt.

Every time someone gets hurt in baseball, all the writers want to change the rules. No more running over the catcher, someone got hurt. No more charging the mound, someone got hurt. No more diving for balls, someone got hurt.

Charging the mound is completely ridiculous and should have been outlawed the first time someone did it. It sucks it has taken this long but hopefully they will do something to get rid of it now.

squicken

Chuck mentioned about getting real so lets get real - the Giants have placed a value on Victor Cruz that they are willing to pay him. This team rarely if ever substantially changes that dollar value much less with an RFA who has no leverage. So what YOU or I value him doesn't really matter, right? The team is going to argue that Welker took a two year deal for 6 million dollars a year and he's got production through the roof. Cruz and his agent are going to argue the opposite and that he's a different player. That's what matters and that's what will determine a contract.

Reality? I've said before that there's little change the Giants keep both Nicks and Cruz unless one of them is willing to take lesser money. It's not feasible to pay both 10 million/yr.

Well it seems like he won't ever leave, so it's kind of a weird game Cruz is playing. He's at Duke with Eli and won't even try and get other teams to make an offer. Not sure he understands what creates leverage. Nicks seems like the guy to pay since he might actually leave

It is dumb to over pay receivers when you have a great qb. Just keep drafting their replacement and pad out the depth with cheap free agent signings.

Agree that it's dumb to over-pay WRs, but the idea that great QBs turn middling WRs into studs is nuts. What the Steelers and Packers have done well is find guys who fit their systems very well, but also have schemes that allow for an easier to find type of player

This is a huge flaw of the Texans, and the fans are constantly complaining about it, but not a single Packers or Steelers WR could make HOU's roster. Kubiak's scheme requires big WRs who can hold their blocks on the outside stretch plays.

Fox318

Charging the mound is completely ridiculous and should have been outlawed the first time someone did it. It sucks it has taken this long but hopefully they will do something to get rid of it now.

I don't mind charging so long as guys are aiming for the mitt and not the head.

So pitchers can just bean guys with impunity?

No definitely not. It is one thing to hit a guy in the butt with an offspeed pitch, and another to blast a guy with a fastball after giving up a homerun. Set up a group to review all hit by pitches and suspend the egregious ones. Pitchers are going to come inside and some guys are going to be hit, but you cant have 50 guys wrestling on the field because a guy got it.

squicken

I don't mind charging so long as guys are aiming for the mitt and not the head.

ihqjMEX3dcGll.gif

Draxal

Well it seems like he won't ever leave, so it's kind of a weird game Cruz is playing. He's at Duke with Eli and won't even try and get other teams to make an offer. Not sure he understands what creates leverage. Nicks seems like the guy to pay since he might actually leave

Nicks is a better player then Cruz (not counting the injury situation), but Cruz is infinitely more marketable than Nicks. Also, I think Future and I have a different perspective than you guys because we remember what happened to Steve Smith, and Cruz most likely remembers too. Cruz's situation is very unique, Nicks is very normal.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
No definitely not. It is one thing to hit a guy in the butt with an offspeed pitch, and another to blast a guy with a fastball after giving up a homerun. Set up a group to review all hit by pitches and suspend the egregious ones. Pitchers are going to come inside and some guys are going to be hit, but you cant have 50 guys wrestling on the field because a guy got it.

So you're walking down the street and some guy rolls up to you and starts punching you in the face. You just take your beating and hope that the law decides to fine him? But the jury finds him not guilty. Two days later that same guy finds you and proceeds to beat your ass again. You just take it and hope the law gets him this time?

I'm not going to defend individual brawls or anything, but rendering hitters impotent is a bad idea.

Raiders working out Vince Young and Troy Smith. Dream team confirmed.

If you guys have Amazon Prime, you should be watching The Shield. I'm starting up Justified after I finish The Wire. If you're into cop shows, you should be watching Southland.

Edit: Jacoby Ford arrested for DUI, DA declines to file charges. Is his mugshot as awesome as Desmond Bryant?
the wife and I watched the pilots for Justified and Shameless last night.

I don't know if we'll stick with Justified. good pilot but it felt like a cop procedural.

Shameless was definitely amusing and sort of out there with its craziness. plus Emma Rossum is hot.

So you're walking down the street and some guy rolls up to you and starts punching you in the face. You just take your beating and hope that the law decides to fine him? But the jury finds him not guilty. Two days later that same guy finds you and proceeds to beat your ass again. You just take it and hope the law gets him this time?

I'm not going to defend individual brawls or anything, but rendering hitters impotent is a bad idea.

I dont think that is analogous at all. If in the context of the sport that you play you are hit by a pitch, you should take your base and not charge the mound and cause a huge brawl. If the pitch is deemed to be on purpose then you can know that the offending guy will be punished.

Charging the mound hasnt stopped the guy from the Padres from leading the league in HBP for several years now.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I dont think that is analogous at all. If in the context of the sport that you play you are hit by a pitch, you should take your base and not charge the mound and cause a huge brawl. If the pitch is deemed to be on purpose then you can know that the offending guy will be punished.

How about massive fines for anyone getting involved but the pitcher and the hitter? I can agree to that. I will never agree with taking a fastball to the head and just accepting it. It goes against human nature.

On the subject of wide receivers, not sure how much insight Clayton has into the organization but..

John Clayton @ClaytonESPN 49m

Steelers are 50-50 whether to match Emmanuel Sanders offer sheet. Some in org. want the 3rd round pick. Others want the player.

That's the tough part for the organization. Nicks is a bit injury prone and has been since he came to the Giants whereas Cruz has been the picture of health since he became a starter. So they have to weigh that into the equation when deciding who to spend the big money on and you can be sure the Giants will take that into account when negotiations start with Nicks and they try to low ball him out of the gate.;)

cdyhybrid

How about baseball players stop being bitches and if they have that much of a problem with someone, meet with them outside the stadium after the game. Baseball fights are the stupidest shit ever. At least the hockey guys actually throw punches.

Draxal

That's the tough part for the organization. Nicks is a bit injury prone and has been since he came to the Giants whereas Cruz has been the picture of health since he became a starter. So they have to weigh that into the equation when deciding who to spend the big money on and you can be sure the Giants will take that into account when negotiations start with Nicks and they try to low ball him out of the gate.;)

How they deal with Nicks also ultimately depends if they have Cruz under contract or not for along term deal. They're going to have to be careful of the use of the franchise tag.

How about baseball players stop being bitches and if they have that much of a problem with someone, meet with them outside the stadium after the game. Baseball fights are the stupidest shit ever. At least the hockey guys actually throw punches.

Matt Kemp from the dodgers did try to fight the guy that charged the mound in the parking lot after the game.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Never forget.
andre-johnson-beats-courtland-o.gif

How they deal with Nicks also ultimately depends if they have Cruz under contract or not for along term deal. They're going to have to be careful of the use of the franchise tag.
Indeed and the Giants aren't exactly big on using the franchise tag unless a long term deal is pretty close to being worked out.

Never forget.
andre-johnson-beats-courtland-o.gif
I don't generally root for violence but fuck Finnegan. He deserved it and Andre is a hero for handing out the ass whoopin'.

Tony Pauline on Cooper/Warmack and how some NFL sources see them. Also mentions that the Giants would take Warmack if he slides and that DJ Fluker is one of their early targets.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6916

As the combine started in February, I posted the news several teams ranked Jonathan Cooper of North Carolina over Chance Warmack of Alabama as the top guard in the draft. Over the past few days league insiders have told me they believe its a 50-50 split of teams who prefer Cooper over Warmack, and vice versa. In conversations with one source on Thursday, a former NFL lineman still associated with the league, I was told unequivocally, if teams want the best guard in this draft they will look to Cooper. The feeling is Cooper’s skill set is much better suited for the NFL and his versatility to line-up in multiple blocking schemes is added value. According to sources the hype around Warmack centers on “the big school mentality.” It was compared to much of the hype surrounding Courtney Upshaw last year. Critics feel Warmack is “shoulder heavy” and cannot adjust on the fly while Cooper’s athleticism and movement skills set him apart. While I will still rank Warmack ahead of Cooper it would not be a surprise if the North Carolina product is drafted just ahead of the Alabama senior.

- If Warmack does start to slide I am told the New York Giants would love the opportunity to select him as they feel he’s a great fit for their system. Moving towards the draft it seems one of the Giants early targets, Warmack’s teammate DJ Fluker, will be out of reach. One late round blocker I am told the Giants like is Emmett Cleary of Boston College, who has drawn praise from the teams offensive line coach Pat Flaherty.

HURRY UP DRAFT!

Draxal

Tony Pauline on Cooper/Warmack and how some NFL sources see them. Also mentions that the Giants would take Warmack if he slides and that DJ Fluker is one of their early targets.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6916

HURRY UP DRAFT!

This looks like Shockey trade 2.0, if Cooper's gone at 17. Giants would have to leap frog over the Boys.

And well you know I've been on the Warmack bandwagon forever (since I dropped the tank for Clowney thing ... Reese had a much better offseason that I thought was possible).

anyone think Geno is not even gonna be the first QB taken? it's weird because everyone knows he isn't the best QB available, but draft people are still talking about him going first. of course it certainly wouldn't be the first time that happened.

also finally finished Bioshock Infinite. Ending was pretty wicked, but the actual game felt like a chore to play through aside from the last hour or so. I had figured out the main twist, though I didn't quite understand it until the end.
the tear system and multiple memories and realities felt lifted straight from The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin. actually there are a lot more similarities between the 2 the more I think about it
and the gameplay and mechanics felt really dumbed down in comparison to the first.

Not sure how well the first would hold up now, but at the time it felt way more atmospheric and immersive than this one. Rapture > Columbia for me. And it was more about the journey than the destination. in Infinite I was just trying to get to the end to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom