• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Oh god, when you list our WRs it's so fucking depressing.

I was actually going over some older Amendola stuff the other day, and he is so limited beyond 20 yards. He's just to small too make an effective target in traffic. Really can only run those slants and whip routes. He is faster than Welker but it's very hard to place the ball where he can catch it, even if he has position. It's why he dives for everything and gets hurt

Welcome to the club, buddy! Oh wait, our receivers are actually pretty good now... Nevermind!

At least we have the better QB :(

I was actually going over some older Amendola stuff the other day, and he is so limited beyond 20 yards. He's just to small too make an effective target in traffic. Really can only run those slants and whip routes. He is faster than Welker but it's very hard to place the ball where he can catch it, even if he has position. It's why he dives for everything and gets hurt

Are you trying to depress me even more? I really don't understand what the Pats are trying with their WRs.

Good morning all. We're closer to draft. Yay!

So today is the day that we will found out if we get this

Etqmmi4.jpg

or this

sanders.jpg

Pig Ben apparently is making a play for him to stay, hopefully they don't match.

It's GAF, why even bother? The reactions probably follow the standard template:

Reactions in the first three days: This is the best thing ever.
The following days: Well, it has its flaws.
After a week: This was awful, how can people like it?

So true, also works on the opposite spectrum

terrible
not to bad has its flaws and whatnot
lttp threads pop up, omg so good guys thread flow

:jnc and so true

At least we have the better QB :(
For now!

I think the biggest variable for the Pats offense is Gronk's health. Even with sub-par receivers that offense can be very successful if Gronk is a factor. Throw in Hernandez, Amendola, and the improving running game and you've still got quite a bit of firepower. Plus there's the draft.

Milchjon

You know who has great receivers? Peyton.

I'd rather see Wes get a ring than the Ravens or Seahawks or whatever. So if the Pats screw up this year, I hope Peyton can stop choking for once.

"“Look, even if the [Rob] Gronkowski arm stuff goes poorly, he’s still going to be there when it matters,” said an NFC executive."

Yeah, he's always been healthy when we needed him most...

Can I become an NFC executive too?

Slo

Another fucking shitty day here, 32 degrees and freezing rain. This spring is bullshit.

On the other hand, one of my friends created a Viking themed adventure/obstacle race where you carry a 8+ pound hammer 5 miles through the Minnesota wilderness. They had their first race ever yesterday, it was 35 degrees and a slushy muddy mess. I don't think he was expecting this sort of weather in April, but I think it made it better.

In Bill we trust :/

Not for much longer

Mallett isn't leaving.

Pig Ben apparently is making a play for him to stay, hopefully they don't match.

Does anybody know 'till when the Steelers have time to still match if they want to?

For now!

I think the biggest variable for the Pats offense is Gronk's health. Even with sub-par receivers that offense can be very successful if Gronk is a factor. Throw in Hernandez, Amendola, and the improving running game and you've still got quite a bit of firepower. Plus there's the draft.

I just want Gronk to be healthy throughout the playoffs for once. I think that this year, we can win the division even with Gronk missing some games early in the season, but we need him down the stretch.

Colasante

I have a fake trade for Browns and Patriots fans. Let's say Patriots trade Ryan Mallett to the Browns for Jabaal Sheard (since he's not a fit for their 3-4 defense) and a 4th round pick. Who says no?

jakncoke

Banned
In Bill we trust :/

Mallett isn't leaving.

Does anybody know 'till when the Steelers have time to still match if they want to?

I just want Gronk to be healthy throughout the playoffs for once. I think that this year, we can win the division even with Gronk missing some games early in the season, but we need him down the stretch.

Mallet isnt the answer and i believe its 11:59 est tonight, so when you wait up tomorrow you'll know

squicken

You know who has great receivers? Peyton.

I'd rather see Wes get a ring than the Ravens or Seahawks or whatever. So if the Pats screw up this year, I hope Peyton can stop choking for once.

"“Look, even if the [Rob] Gronkowski arm stuff goes poorly, he’s still going to be there when it matters,” said an NFC executive."

Yeah, he's always been healthy when we needed him most...

Can I become an NFC executive too?

ahah Worst case, Amendola and the two TEs miss some time, that offensive line is still one of the best in the league. They can lean on the run game a little more and be fine

Godslay

Banned
I'm a sincere guy :p

But I'm not sure Peyton needs jinxing.

Our karma is clear, the bad karma is now on the Jets.

We have better RBs and TEs, you guys have far superior WRs. I think our Oline is better too but only slightly.

I can give you the first two, but I don't think the oline is better. It's also vastly improved with Vasquez. You have to remember that Kuper, and Walton, both starters were out for a significant portion of the season.

I have a fake trade for Browns and Patriots fans. Let's say Patriots trade Ryan Mallett to the Browns for Jabaal Sheard (since he's not a fit for their 3-4 defense) and a 4th round pick. Who says no?

Hmmmm, I like Sheard. I would consider it.

Save money?

But sign Amendola to a somewhat big money deal? I don't really think that that is what they are trying.

Mallet isnt the answer and i believe its 11:59 est tonight, so when you wait up tomorrow you'll know

Mallett to Sanders for the win in the 2020 AFC championship game against the Steelers. #BELIEVE

Is that a Fiesta? I don't recognise the model, the front end in particular.

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES Hatchback. After a trade in and some negotiating, I got it for $5900 down from roughly $8000, and I'm getting the center armrest repaired gratis. I can see it from my usual workstation, and it calls to me, wanting me to drive it about the mean streets of southeastern Wisconsin.

Ha, this is crazy. A established player (who I'd imagine could fetch a pretty high pick on the market) and a extra pick?! You'd be lucky to get a 5th for Mallet.
Edit: I read wrong, I assume you're giving us the 4th? Still a horrible trade.

Eh, it's not too bad, actually. It remains to be seen how well or not well Sheard fits into the 3-4 now. It's a trade that wouldn't work at all next year, since he'll either suck in the 3-4, or be pretty good.

Eh, it's not too bad, actually. It remains to be seen how well or not well Sheard fits into the 3-4 now. It's a trade that wouldn't work at all next year, since he'll either suck in the 3-4, or be pretty good.
That's a horrible trade, smh Batman. You need a timeout bro to think about what just went down here.
Also I just watched DKR and Gotham city is a horrible place to Live

That's a horrible trade, smh Batman. You need a timeout bro to think about what just went down here.
Also I just watched DKR and Gotham city is a horrible place to Live

Haha. I dunno man, Sheard's a good player, but what sort of leverage do we have? Everyone knows we've switched from 4-3 to 3-4. Knowing this, we're not going to get a 2nd for him, maaybe a 3rd to a absolutely desperate team, and I wouldn't want to trade him for that anyway.

You yourself aren't a big fan of Weeden. I like the Jason Campbell pickup, but do you really think he's the future? Sure, Mallet's an unknown, but I've seen far worse trades than this...

Also, Gotham is lovely in the summer. ;P

I can give you the first two, but I don't think the oline is better. It's also vastly improved with Vasquez. You have to remember that Kuper, and Walton, both starters were out for a significant portion of the season.

Solder is the best young tackle in the league together with Vollmer and Mankins is still an elite guard, but more importantly, we have the best O-line coach in the NFL.

I don't get why the Pats would trade Mallet. Brady could easily retire in two years or get injured. It's not like you have a Tyrod Taylor caliber third-stringer waiting in the wings.

squicken

Washington Post did a big thing on pain culture in the NFL. The Rams had 16 guys taking Toradol in 2011 under Spags the Incompetent. New regime, no more Toradol. Also, a ton of stuff on the Saints and their drug narcotics distrubtion system

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...f4de-a1e9-11e2-bd52-614156372695_story_4.html

The inconsistent use of prescription drugs from team to team highlights how varied practices can be across the league. The NFL’s protocols, standards and enforcement have not always been consistent with federal laws governing prescription drugs.

Many of the lapses in the league’s complicated system were on display in the spring of 2009 in New Orleans. During a four-month stretch, the Saints’ team trainers noticed Vicodin pills had gone missing. On April 28, 2009, according to a civil complaint later filed in state district court, the team’s director of security, a former FBI agent named Geoffrey Santini, was notified. At the instruction of Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis, Santini installed a pair of hidden cameras in the Saints’ training room.

The footage in the first video is in full color, grainy but unmistakable. Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt, wearing khaki shorts and a black long-sleeved team shirt, can be seen unlocking a metal cabinet in the trainer’s office. Unaware that he’s being recorded, Vitt removes a bottle and pours pills into his hand before locking the cabinet and exiting the room.

There are two more video clips from the ensuing days that clearly show Vitt alone in the office, unlocking a cabinet and helping himself to a handful of prescription painkillers. The locks were quickly changed and one final video captured Vitt’s failed attempt to get inside the cabinet.

Not long after, Santini called Loomis to discuss the situation and recorded the conversation. During the exchange, the two discussed to what authority they must answer.

“Mickey, I am just telling you that is not how it works,” Santini says. “The law is there.”

“We are not talking about the law,” Loomis responds. “We are talking about the league.”

The videos and recorded conversations, much of them reviewed by The Post, have become evidence in a DEA investigation that is now in the hands of the U.S. Attorney’s office in New Orleans. The case is still open and, according to people with knowledge of the situation, federal authorities are weighing a hefty fine against the Saints for violating laws governing the proper storage, control and dispensing of prescription drugs.

Only a properly licensed pharmacy may store prescription drugs, and they must be properly secured and counted pill by pill in federally reported logs, according to DEA regulations. Only physicians can administer them. It is illegal for anyone else, including athletic trainers or coaches, to control or hand them out. In an effort to comply, the NFL subjects teams to annual pill audits, requiring them to report every dosage. But the system is far from fail-safe. In the Saints’ training room, as the video showed, access to the drug cabinet was relatively unchecked and those with access could scoop out pills by the handful.

After Vitt was caught on camera, the team’s trainers initially seemed to underappreciate the severity of what had happened and explained to Santini in recorded conversations that they intended to falsify the counts in their drug logs. “Our numbers will be right. . . . We are going back and adjusting, you know, these discrepancies and crediting” Vitt, Scottie Patton, the head trainer, told Santini.

Most teams now use a third-party company, registered with the DEA, that delivers prescription medication to team facilities and NFL stadiums, and maintain detailed drug logs. Using computer software, the substances can then be tracked by both the NFL and the third-party company. About half the NFL teams use a firm named SportPharm, and a spokeswoman for the company said several teams are mandated by the league to use its services to keep their operations in proper order.

In 2009, the Saints used a system that was a bit simpler. A Vicodin prescription by Saints team physician John Amoss was filled at a local Walgreens, according to court records, listing the patient as “New Orleans Saints.”

The Saints declined to comment for this article or make Loomis, Vitt, Patton or Amoss available for comment. In a June 2009 recorded conversation, Loomis said Vitt was seeing a counselor and was in the care of a doctor. “We got him on the path of correction,” he said. Loomis also made clear that he didn’t think Vitt was abusing painkillers: “I am telling you what the doctor said: Joe is not a drug addict with a drug problem.”

Despite earlier talk of falsifying records, in the recorded conversation, Santini appears to convince Loomis that the team would be violating the law and they’d all be subject to prosecution if they tried to fix the books or cover up the issue. “I’m not for breaking the law, I am for reporting this,” the general manager said. “I’m also trying to do a solution that doesn’t get Joe in a lot of hot water because I think we are on a path. This issue [is] corrected.”

Vitt, who served as the Saints interim head coach last season, agreed in U.S. District Court to enter what’s known as a pre-trial diversion program, a form of probation for first-time offenders in which he fulfilled certain obligations for 12 months, ranging from paying a fine to undergoing education, according to two people familiar with the agreement.

Santini resigned from the Saints organization on Aug. 16, 2009, and filed a lawsuit against the team eight months later. The case was moved to arbitration and the sides privately settled, but the allegations had already caught the eyes of federal authorities. Investigators with the DEA unearthed a number of violations with the Saints’ operation, according to people familiar with the situation, and worked with the team to bring the organization into better compliance.

Can't believe Vitt took the full rap just so Payton could stay out of jail. Can't wait until all the details come out on Seattle's drug culture as well

I don't get why the Pats would trade Mallet. Brady could easily retire in two years or get injured. It's not like you have a Tyrod Taylor caliber third-stringer waiting in the wings.
You know, speaking of Tyrod, I'm kind of surprised his stock hasn't gone up recently with this read option business sweeping the league. His passing mechanics aren't as polished as someone like RGIII or Russell but he's really quick and athletic. Seems like decent trade material these days.

Haha. I dunno man, Sheard's a good player, but what sort of leverage do we have? Everyone knows we've switched from 4-3 to 3-4. Knowing this, we're not going to get a 2nd for him, maaybe a 3rd to a absolutely desperate team, and I wouldn't want to trade him for that anyway.

You yourself aren't a big fan of Weeden. I like the Jason Campbell pickup, but do you really think he's the future? Sure, Mallet's an unknown, but I've seen far worse trades than this...

Also, Gotham is lovely in the summer. ;P
Other teams knowing we're switching to a 3-4 should in no way have a affect on what Sheards value would be. At the least I would expect to to fresh a low 2nd/3rd. Also who's to say Sheards transition to lb won't be smooth? He's stood up plenty before and alot of pass rushing olb packers like Suggs don't even drop back in pass coverage to often, id find some stats about it compared to how many times sheard dropped back on our 4-3 but I'm to lazy.

On Mallet where is sudden value of him coming from? Dude hasnt don't anything to justify anything but a flyer of pick. And yeah I'm not a Weeden fan but I sure as hell would rather us ride with him and Campbell right now. This being said I fully expect us to draft a Qb in one of the rounds maybe even as high as the 2nd/3rd if we have the pick.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Ha, this is crazy. A established player (who I'd imagine could fetch a pretty high pick on the market) and a extra pick?! You'd be lucky to get a 5th for Mallet.
Edit: I read wrong, I assume you're giving us the 4th? Still a horrible trade.

I'm siding with Bro Montana here. That would be a terrible trade for the Browns.

I also read it wrong and though they were sending back a 4th to us. From the little bit that I've seen some people think if we do trade Sheard he MIGHT be able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Mallett has zero value. Belicheat needs to start him a few times so everyone can see he can run the system. Then he's worth a 3rd.

My gosh. Brittany Griner's voice is deeper than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom