• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other teams knowing we're switching to a 3-4 should in no way have a affect on what Sheards value would be. At the least I would expect to to fresh a low 2nd/3rd. Also who's to say Sheards transition to lb won't be smooth? He's stood up plenty before and alot of pass rushing olb packers like Suggs don't even drop back in pass coverage to often, id find some stats about it compared to how many times sheard dropped back on our 4-3 but I'm to lazy.

On Mallet where is sudden value of him coming from? Dude hasnt don't anything to justify anything but a flyer of pick. And yeah I'm not a Weeden fan but I sure as hell would rather us ride with him and Campbell right now. This being said I fully expect us to draft a Qb in one of the rounds maybe even as high as the 2nd/3rd if we have the pick.

Yeah, it's like what I said in my previous post, he has value now. next year after he has a year in the system, he'll either have more value because he did very well in the 3-4 and we won't want to trade him, or he could fall flat on his face in the 3-4 and he's worth less to us.

I can imagine the price of Mallet going up in the future, to a QB desperate team. This is all hypotetical, of course, Damn offseason :(

Colasante

How about we just trade for Graham Harrell then.

Harrell was an UDFA. It's not like Mallett just walked out of the jungles of Paraguay and the Patriots are demanding a 1st round pick for him. He started 2 years at Arkansas, had a 62:17 INT ratio, and may have been a 1st rounder if he hadn't done drugs in college. If you're unable to project what a QB could do in your system without watching him throw in the NFL before doing so, you're an awful general manager.

Colasante

using 1 pick vs trading multiple picks and established players

I get why the trade I envisioned is specifically prohibitive, but an absolute refusal to trade a pick for Mallett because he's never thrown a pass in the NFL is silly. As I said, a lot of players haven't thrown passes in the NFL before they become starters.

And theoretically, two years in Belichick's offensive system behind Tom Brady should have helped refine Mallett's mechanics and improved his maturity, and made him more valuable than he was coming out in 2011. Obviously, I know there are the Curtis Painters of the world who don't improve from the bench, but incremental improvement is supposed to happen while carrying the clipboard.

jakncoke

Banned
Harrell was an UDFA. It's not like Mallett just walked out of the jungles of Paraguay and the Patriots are demanding a 1st round pick for him. He started 2 years at Arkansas, had a 62:17 INT ratio, and may have been a 1st rounder if he hadn't done drugs in college. If you're unable to project what a QB could do in your system without watching him throw in the NFL before doing so, you're an awful general manager.

Has nothing or very little to do with his drop.

Sanjuro

Kevin Kolb threw passes in actual NFL games.

...that is your point? A lot of quarterbacks have thrown passes in the NFL. Kind of the job they have.

Kolb had actually started a game or games before in th NFL and was projected as the Eagles starter, replacing a pretty good guy in Mcnabb, before the rise of Vick.

That's all there was though, projections. Kolb accomplished absolutely nothing.

But all that money you spent on Gabbert jerseys would be wasted. Why Gator? Why do you throw away your money so easily?

You must be compensating for being 5 foot tall

Im taller than 5 feet and I dont own any Jaguar gear.

And im not the one who had a Space Channel 5 calendar and Sonic stickers stashed away.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
...that is your point? A lot of quarterbacks have thrown passes in the NFL. Kind of the job they have.
Except Mallett hasn't thrown any. What the fuck are you talking about?

That's all there was though, projections. Kolb accomplished absolutely nothing.
Kolb had multiple 300+ yard passing games in Philly. We all thought he was garbage, but he showed he could play in Reid's system, at least.

jakncoke

Banned
From everything I've read that's 100% the reason he fell. Have you heard otherwise?

Here's a report from Albert Breer in which it's stated, "Citing sources, Breer indicates that Mallett is unlikely to replace Andrew Luck as a potential No. 1 overall pick." http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/report-off-field-concerns-for-mallett/

Him being a statue and a dickhead probably had things to do with it and im pretty sure all he had going for him in college was a cannon arm. I dont foresee him doing much of anything in the pros

MechDX

Im taller than 5 feet and I dont own any Jaguar gear.

And im not the one who had a Space Channel 5 calendar and Sonic stickers stashed away.

Stop the denial Gator, it only demeans you. The sooner you admit your flaws the sooner you can move on! You will hate yourself when the Jags move to LA if you don't openly express your love now.

121108050848_jagfan6.jpg

You were so cute and innocent once. What happened?

Wes

venison crêpe
via National Football Post:

"The Browns’ new regime recently held draft meetings to go over prospects, but did it in an unusual manner—without the team’s scouts. The attendees were CEO Joe Banner, general manager Mike Lombardi and assistant general manager Ray Farmer. Some take this as a sign the Browns may be preparing to clean house in the front office after the draft."

Bodes well!

Colasante

Except Mallett hasn't thrown any. What the fuck are you talking about?

Good players are good players, whether they're coming out of college or a backup on an NFL team, and whether they've completed a pass in the NFL or not. Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen had both completed many passes in the NFL in 2010, but that wasn't reason enough not to draft Cam Newton.

Sanjuro

Good players are good players, whether they're coming out of college or a backup on an NFL team, and whether they've completed a pass in the NFL or not. Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen had both completed many passes in the NFL in 2010, but that wasn't reason enough not to draft Cam Newton.

We shouldn't draft quarterbacks anymore. At least not until they have thrown a pass in the NFL.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I would ask you the same thing. Your point is because Kolb threw a couple passes in the NFL, he automatically is a highly sought after quarterback. That is absurdly foolish.

You don't have an argument, here. I don't even know what your position is. Kolb started a bunch of games and had some excellent numbers before he was traded. Mallett has done jack shit. He's been on the bench in NE for two years, so he's magically awesome?

You don't have an argument, here. I don't even know what your position is. Kolb started a bunch of games and had some excellent numbers before he was traded. Mallett has done jack shit. He's been on the bench in NE for two years, so he's magically awesome?

I get the argument but doubting his awesomeness is ridiculous.

Sanjuro

When did I say he was "magically awesome"? You said he has "zero value". So, in a league where Kevin Kolb can accomplish nothing and be paid several million dollars, you don't believe that a single team in the entire NFL would offer anything for a decent prospect at the most important position in the game?

Got it.

I have no idea why this is an argument in the first place. It's just common sense.

Also, Kolb had "excellent" numbers? What were you watching. My god.

Colasante

The argument is that Mallett didn't appear from the ether. He played in college, like every quarterback in the NFL once did. Robert Griffin III never threw a pass in the NFL before he was drafted- you project what you think a player will do in your system based on his tape, and you adjust expectations according to the level of competition they were playing against. There's playing against NFL competition, SEC competition, and so on down the line.

You have a point that Mallett has done nothing in the NFL, but every team has a scouting report on him from 2011 so they know whether or not he is a fit for their team. If he was released, I guarantee a team would snatch him up in a heartbeat, so why the steadfast refusal to trade for him? That's just blind ignorance, believing that Player A is better than Player B simply because Player A has thrown an NFL pass before. To go to RG3 again, Rex Grossman was a below-competent starting QB in the NFL in 2011 and had gone to a Super Bowl in his career, yet the Redskins drafted (how dare them) a QB who had never thrown an NFL pass.

In Gata news
Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell says the club has narrowed down the No. 2 overall pick to two prospects.
"We're pretty close -- it's down to two people," said Caldwell. Only Caldwell, owner Shad Khan, and coach Gus Bradley are expected to be informed of the Jaguars' selection. We suspect the two players are made up of some combination of Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan, BYU DE Ziggy Ansah, and West Virginia QB Geno Smith. Caldwell said he'd be "surprised" if the Jags had a chance to trade down.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ok, Pats fans. I think I understand. You think your backup qb has value. Show me the last time a team traded for a non-rookie qb with zero playing experience. I'll even accept zero starts. Frankly, I can't think of a single one. At the very least, if the Pats do want to trade him, they need to showcase him in the preseason.

Sanjuro

Ok, Pats fans. I think I understand. You think your backup qb has value. Show me the last time a team traded for a non-rookie qb with zero playing experience. I'll even accept zero starts. Frankly, I can't think of a single one. At the very least, if the Pats do want to trade him, they need to showcase him in the preseason.

I don't think you get it.

Showcasing in pre-season football? Yeah, I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom