• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
Wonder how much Ben lobby had with the matching.

blackghost drunk posting random broken links

lol man that downfall section has been made into so many youtube vids

squicken

Rick Spielman had dinner with Manti Teo at Combine. When he dines with NDU players, well

Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog 9m
.@SI_PeterKing reports #Vikings GM Rick Spielman dined w/ Manti Te'o night before ND Pro Day. Team needs MLB and Spielman loves ND players.

Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog 5m
ND players Spielman has drafted in past 5 yrs: John Sullivan, Kyle Rudolph, Harrison Smith, Robert Blanton. #Vikings

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 3m
So #Vikings GM Rick Spielman dined with Manti Te'o before pro day (via @SI_PeterKing). Also talked at combine and had him in for visit. Hmm.

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 2m
If this is all a smokescreen, it's being blown with the machine Def Leppard used in '88.

jakncoke

Banned
Holy shit, 1987 draft had 6 rb taken 7 if you include Vick. None reached 3k career rushing yards

edit; yeah darkside your team has had lol draft picks over the years

wait what? the saints took a punter in the first round @ #11? i didn't believe this information so i looked it up on the internet. sure enough its true.

Three punters have been picked in the first round:
1979 11the pick - Russell Erxleben by New Orleans Saints
1978 15th pick - Steve Little by St. Louis Cardinals
1973 23rd pick - Ray Guy by Oakland Raiders

Two kickers have been picked in the first round:
2000 17th pick - Sebastian Janikowski by Oakland Raiders
1966 - Charlie Gogolak by Washington Redskins

i'll actually give props to the raiders on ray guy and janikowski

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Im watching this browns show on the NFL Network. Weeden made a joke about Phil Dawson being old.

The great irony.

Rorschach

wait what? the saints took a punter in the first round @ #11? i didn't believe this information so i looked it up on the internet. sure enough its true.

i'll actually give props to the raiders on ray guy and janikowski

aExNX.gif

jakncoke

Banned
Still don't know why Ray Guy isn't in the HOF.

Isnt there only like 1 full time k or p in the hof. clearly the voters have established that if you're a k or p you really dont count or important which is hogwash because if they werent they wouldnt waste 2 roster spots on them and they'd have random dude try but random dudes cant coffin corner a team with 2 min to go or kick a 45 yard fg into the wind to win the game.

jakncoke

Banned
Larry Allen, Cris Carter, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells and Warren Sapp.

If you are an owner starting a team, you want Ray Guy over any of those players?

HOF isnt a fucking draft, its who is greatest at their position. The best of the best. If a punter or kicker is the best of the best at their job or special teams player is. I dont see why they'd get discriminated against just because they are on the field for a portion of the game. They have a job, they did it. What NFL just needs to do to prevent logjams is no limits to entrants, get the 80% and you're in, then also drop people from consideration that dont make a required vote. Also this whole you need to wait 8 years before you're allowed in is dumb as fuck, what did you do in your 13th year out of football vs 5 through 12 that suddenly makes you a HOF

squicken

fine

The marginal value of a elite punter is far less than the marginal value of an elite position player. Larry Allen's contribution to winning vs the average NFL guard far exceeds that of Ray Guy vs the average NFL punter of his day.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
fine

The marginal value of a elite punter is far less than the marginal value of an elite position player. Larry Allen's contribution to winning vs the average NFL guard far exceeds that of Ray Guy vs the average NFL punter of his day.

Using this argument to the extreme you could basically argue that the only people who belong in the hall of fame from this point on are quarterbacks.

I do think the NFL HOF needs some tweaks. Capping the amount of guys / Having a minimum number required who get in a given year is pretty dumb.

ChanHuk

Banned
fine

Punters made it so I can make GOAT play.

- Desean Jackson

Kickers are overlooked all the time.I will murder Dutch if Adam Vinatari makes into the HOF before Ray Guy. Pro tip, Ray Guy NEVER had a punt returned for a TD. Larry Allen is probably GOAT guard. How long has Ray Guy been eligible for the HOF? He's snubbed every year. I rather see him in than Tim Brown, and I never watch Ray Guy play.

jakncoke

Banned
At the 1976 Pro Bowl, Guy became the first punter to hit the Louisiana Superdome video screen. Officials raised the screen from 90 feet to 200 feet. The NFC team pulled the ball and had it tested for helium; it was filled with regular air.

lolll

Punter and Kicker are football positions, for the HOF to just ignore them is ignorant. As the greatest punter ever, the fact that Guy isn't in yet is a crime. He is one of only two members of the NFL's 75th anniversary team not in the HOF, the other is a returner, a player who isn't playing his primary position. The case for Guy for the HOF should take 20 seconds, "He was the greatest ever to play his position and there is very little, if any, objection to that statement."

fucking steelers

well there goes that

We're going to waste 2 draft picks on WR's now, and they're both going to succumb to the New England draft curse at the position :(

Fuck the Steelers

Why fuck the Steelers? Patriots organization could have come stronger and left Pit no option but part with Sanders. I wanted Sanders to leave; make Pit weaker. Fucking Pats cheaped out.

Thank you. Your salty tears give me strength.

No Emmanuel Sanders for the Patriots.

tumblr_inline_mg3i7tRa8I1rt1rl9.gif

It's beautiful.

I'm Manny's biggest fan on this board, but, as I stated before, if the Steelers don't sign him long term, the pick was the better option.

I wonder how the Steelers 'fans' feel that were blasting him on Twitter after he signed the tender. Must be weird to go from 'I hope you roll over and die' to 'I never stopped loving you'.

Color me surprised. i was sure Sanders was a goner.

I was 50/50 on it myself. There were pluses and minuses to both choices. If he left, they'd save a little bit of money and get that extra third. With him back in the fold, they don't have to make WR in the draft such a high priority now, and they do have several other holes to address. And they have a guy back that knows the system. Downside? They spent more than they would have liked on him, probably should have gave him a 2nd round tender in the first place. And if they don't sign him long term, he goes next year anyway. But oh well, it's water under the bridge now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom