• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't he saying "Oh no"?

If so I'll love to see this in caption. :p

He reminds me of this

jw5n0Ac.gif

cdyhybrid

tumblr_lfhe5rleMx1qatk6y.gif

Unrelated: If a friend comes to you, with no relationship to any city or team, and wants to start watching football and support a team, what team do you recommend to somebody like that ?

A team they can see regularly probably. There's a chance they'll lose interest unless they can follow the team regularly and get hooked to start off with.

Alternatively, just have them start watching games and pick a team once they're more familiar with the league.

Milchjon

tumblr_lfhe5rleMx1qatk6y.gif

Unrelated: If a friend comes to you, with no relationship to any city or team, and wants to start watching football and support a team, what team do you recommend to somebody like that ?

What kind of stupid ass question is this?

Your team of course, so he can share your joy and pain!

Or tell him something about Derek Anderson and make fun of him a few years down the road.

Wrayfield

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfhe5rleMx1qatk6y.gif[img]

Unrelated: If a friend comes to you, with no relationship to any city or team, and wants to start watching football and support a team, what team do you recommend to somebody like that ?[/QUOTE]

Had a similar question from an NFL newb a while back. I told him to pick one. I did tell him if he picks the Jets he can go fuck himself though.

He picked the Browns and after 4 weeks, he squickened to the Ravens. Anyway, it's not like he's been following it for ages (3 years now). I guess you gotta start somewhere if you're not from the US and have no direct history related to a team.

squicken

Had a similar question from an NFL newb a while back. I told him to pick one. I did tell him if he picks the Jets he can go fuck himself though.

He picked the Browns and after 4 weeks, he squickened to the Ravens. Anyway, it's not like he's been following it for ages (3 years now). I guess you gotta start somewhere if you're not from the US and have no direct history related to a team.

Best bet for a newbie is to watch a team that will always be on TV, like the dirty Seachickens fan said. Seems like the Patriots or the Giants would be the best bet for someone overseas

Milchjon

Best bet for a newbie is to watch a team that will always be on TV, like the dirty Seachickens fan said. Seems like the Patriots or the Giants would be the best bet for someone overseas

At least in Germany, where only the Super Bowl is broadcast, that wouldn't help much.

Plus time zones, which mean you have to be a hardcore fan to catch prime time games.

I always try to get my friends to become Pats fans, mostly because I can't stand the idea of getting trolled for Welker's drops in real life too (my brother the asshole did that for a while).

squicken

At least in Germany, where only the Super Bowl is broadcast, that wouldn't help much.

Plus time zones, which mean you have to be a hardcore fan to catch prime time games.

I always try to get my friends to become Pats fans, mostly because I can't stand the idea of getting trolled for Welker's drops in real life too (my brother the asshole did that for a while).

Why can't the NFL get on TV in Germany? There was a guy from the league doing an interview awhile back, and he said there is much greater interest in American Football in Germany and Eastern Europe than there is in the UK (where they rank behind televised darts), but they can't get distribution. Is there no satellite package? There's like 9000 channels on my cable.

Just looked it up and there's a channel that carries Bundesliga games here

Wrayfield

Why can't the NFL get on TV in Germany? There was a guy from the league doing an interview awhile back, and he said there is much greater interest in American Football in Germany and Eastern Europe than there is in the UK (where they rank behind televised darts), but they can't get distribution. Is there no satellite package? There's like 9000 channels on my cable.

Just looked it up and there's a channel that carries Bundesliga games here

Footie is king, sadly. But it's gotten much better now, you can actually catch a lot of games which ten years ago would be near impossible.

Edit: That reminded me of this article here: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...4/influx-of-foreignborn-nfl-hopefuls-no-fluke

Milchjon

Footie is king, sadly. But it's gotten much better now, you can actually catch a lot of games which ten years ago would be near impossible.

How?

The only feasible (legal) solution that I know of for a fan who tries to watch all his team's games is through NFL.com.

I don't know about ESPN America, can you catch that somehow?

Any team but the Pats. God they're scum.

We're friends too right?

What kind of stupid ass question is this?

Your team of course, so he can share your joy and pain!

Or tell him something about Derek Anderson and make fun of him a few years down the road.

I advised him to just watch some games, and read about some of the teams and then make a decision. But he was leaning towards the Pats because of me, and some SNL skit he saw lol.

A team they can see regularly probably. There's a chance they'll lose interest unless they can follow the team regularly and get hooked to start off with.

Alternatively, just have them start watching games and pick a team once they're more familiar with the league.

There isn't really a team that you can see all that regularly here, although the big market teams do make more sense in that regard. Although I also told him to look into some of the team who are now on their way up, since it must be fun to experience that battle to the top. Teams like the Seahawks, the Bengals and the Colts.

I told him no: Jets, Giants, Steelers or Ravens. Because then I would give him a bag of dicks.

East coast is the easiest because of the time zones.

How?

The only feasible (legal) solution that I know of for a fan who tries to watch all his team's games is through NFL.com.

ESPN America rules! I have that, they air all the prime time games and 3 games every sunday. Although they mostly show the big name teams, and not always the matchups you wanna watch.

squicken

Edit: That reminded me of this article here: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...4/influx-of-foreignborn-nfl-hopefuls-no-fluke

Yeah to me there's this vast amount of rugby players, wrestlers, and track guys from the EU and Australia that are kids who were too big to play soccer. The big Samoan kids have made a huge impact in the NFL. Once there's some local guys doing well, maybe interest will pick up? I know that some players and coaches have done some clinics in Ireland and Germany. Was it you who said Mike Zimmer was speaking to your football club?

Wrayfield

How?

Yeah, ESPN America is a big step for NFL fans here. Also, as expensive as Gamepass is, at least it's available. RedZone Channel <3.

Milchjon

Actually, who needs football when you can watch 3rd league women's soccer freely all day.

Or at least that's what it feels like sometimes over here.

Big-E

I didn't realize Brady was a lifelonger. He was at games during the Giants run wasn't he. Things might need to be reevaluated.

Wrayfield

Yeah to me there's this vast amount of rugby players, wrestlers, and track guys from the EU and Australia that are kids who were too big to play soccer. The big Samoan kids have made a huge impact in the NFL. Once there's some local guys doing well, maybe interest will pick up? I know that some players and coaches have done some clinics in Ireland and Germany. Was it you who said Mike Zimmer was speaking to your football club?

Yeah, wasn't my club, just one of the second division teams that I know of. There is a footie-like division system in most european countries with relegation and everything. It's very low level but it's improving every year. For us euros, it's the only way to get any proper feel for the game. Most start young, and some really big guys usually go to highschools and sometimes lower division colleges to train. Some are tired of pussy-like footie or their hockey team is broke or they just want to hit someone and they get to like it and stay with football. Cool stuff if you love the game. If you have no personal connection to the teams and are used to college and NFL games, you will be heavily disappointed though. Still, in my day, the most "creative" stuff you'd see on O would be trips or some maybe an empty shotgun formation. Now they are doing wildcats, pistols and all sorts of shit.

In the 90s, which tells you how old I am, Ernie Stautner came over on some World League clinic and coached us in the middle of nowhere in Bavaria. -5 °C, windy as fuck, and the old man is there in his windbreaker, barking commands at this clueless youth team of skinny d-backs for 2 hours on a potato-field like pitch. Seriously best football practice I ever had. I think he coached Galaxy back then. Great guy.

cdyhybrid

In the 90s, which tells you how old I am, Ernie Stautner came over on some World League clinic and coached us in the middle of nowhere in Bavaria. -5 °C, windy as fuck, and the old man is there in his windbreaker, barking commands at this clueless youth team of skinny d-backs for 2 hours on a potato-field like pitch. Seriously best football practice I ever had. I think he coached Galaxy back then. Great guy.

That's football, baby!

squicken

That's really cool. It's nuts to think even "just for fun" leagues are running all those complicated offenses. I wonder if they start young enough if US colleges will start recruiting more heavily?

I remember trying to watch the World League games and just couldn't get into it. Kind of hard when there's like 5k people in the stands at the old Wembley Stadium. I think by the end, they only had teams in Germany. They really messed up the focus. Instead of a development league for US players, it should have been focused as a pro-league for Europeans played in smaller venues.

Milchjon

I was actually surprised by how professional those leagues seem in Germany.

The games I attended (3rd and 5th league) had everything you really need, announcers, burgers, cheerleaders, 5(?) referees...

Of course, that's probably comparable to Pee Wee level in the US, but I was still surprised.

Also, I just realized my hometown team made it to GFL 2, even though we're a tiny town. Razorbacks, Baby!

Wrayfield

That's really cool. It's nuts to think even "just for fun" leagues are running all those complicated offenses. I wonder if they start young enough if US colleges will start recruiting more heavily?

I remember trying to watch the World League games and just couldn't get into it. Kind of hard when there's like 5k people in the stands at the old Wembley Stadium. I think by the end, they only had teams in Germany. They really messed up the focus. Instead of a development league for US players, it should have been focused as a pro-league for Europeans played in smaller venues.

Couldn't agree more. Not having that league might help the actual local leagues a bit.

I was actually surprised by how professional those leagues seem in Germany.

The games I attended (3rd and 5th league) had everything you really need, announcers, burgers, cheerleaders, 5(?) referees...

Of course, that's probably comparable to Pee Wee level in the US, but I was still surprised.

Also, I just realized my hometown team made it to GFL 2, even though we're a tiny town. Razorbacks, Baby!

Comets 4 lyfe, yo! :D

They almost made it to the top league again after so many years. I talked to one of the Razorbacks guys at a Comets-Pirates game last season. Really good team with lots of potential.

Milchjon

Comets 4 lyfe, yo! :D

They almost made it to the top league again after so many years. I talked to one of the Razorbacks guys at a Comets-Pirates game last season. Really good team with lots of potential.

I only watched them once. They blew out a team near Stuttgart so bad, I left during halftime. I think the score at halftime was something like 51-3.

Edit: Wait, is there another team called Razorbacks?

cajunator

Banned
wait what? the saints took a punter in the first round @ #11? i didn't believe this information so i looked it up on the internet. sure enough its true.

i'll actually give props to the raiders on ray guy and janikowski

f course that was true. You dont lose 20 seasons in a row without fucking up the draft consistently.

Wes

venison crêpe
If a friend comes to you, with no relationship to any city or team, and wants to start watching football and support a team, what team do you recommend to somebody like that ?

I had a friend do exactly that thing. I told him to just watch some of the highlights packages on NFL.com if he couldn't watch full games and eventually he'd find a team he'd like following or players he'd like to see playing.

Bastard chose the Ravens.

Wrayfield

I had a friend do exactly that thing. I told him to just watch some of the highlights packages on NFL.com if he couldn't watch full games and eventually he'd find a team he'd like following or players he'd like to see playing.

Seems everyone loves murderers.

I coughed up blood this morning. How soon till I die?

If I need an ambulance whilst in LA, I'll make damn sure you're not in it to help me before getting in.

Terrible, I hope my friend makes a better choice.

Seems everyone loves murderers.

Not everybody can be as classy as us AFC East fans. (Jets don't count).

Wes

venison crêpe
MMQB with some choice nuggets about the draft, specifically the top 10 but also hits on some of the other teams. There's also this gem:

&#8226; Mayock-fest. When Mike Mayock did his pre-Scouting Combine conference call with the media in February, he answered more than 150 questions from more than 180 reporters. The call took two-and-a-half hours. This week, on Thursday at 1 p.m. Eastern, he'll do his pre-draft conference call with reporters ... and NFL Network is going to stream it live on NFL.com. Go to nfl.com/mayockdraftcall to hear it Thursday, if you have quite a bit of time. You know Mayock. He never cheats you. I could listen to the guy all day, and sometimes do.

squicken

Santonio Holmes and Cam Newton are taking classes and will miss voluntary workouts.

LZ was saying most people think Santonio is checked out as a players. Just cashing checks now. So a good way to not have to do "voluntary" workouts but have a nice cover is the back to school angle

edit: More stuff I had heard on podcast he did

-Jets love Tavon Austin. Unless you have an elite QB, it's hard to have 10 play drives. Key is to score from anywhere. Guys that do that are in demand. "Jets on offense are trying to make chicken salad out of chick shit, but they don't even have chicken shit"

-But, have to strike a guy if you think he can't learn a playbook. Patterson will not go in the first round

-Geno to Eagles at worst. Could go to JAX. Jags are a wildcard. No one knows

edit 2: Faith Hill out on SNF. No replacement yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom