• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory as an Oilers fan growing up in Houston was of his voice as the soundtrack to the Cowboys being shoved down my throat. RIP and all that, but I never got the deification of he and Madden. The best announcing duo of all time was Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen

Yep, Enberg was my favorite. Course, as an AFC guy, I suppose I was biased. But Summerall was so freaking dry to me. Sure, he was classy with no BS, but you couldn't beat Enberg's, "Ohhh myyy."

squicken

There's like one story a year that would rise to the level of non-NFL fans caring. Don't think it matters much. Though maybe Haslam could be a topic, if only b/c his brother is Governor of Tennessee. Of course that would be a typical ______ OT thread given the politics of it

edit:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Kraft Family hopes to assist recovery for victims of Boston Marathon tragedy by matching up to $100,000 in donations.

Or about 1% of the money he swindled Brady out of

Godslay

Banned
Only because some Laker fans think their team is bigger than the league they play in.

That NBA vs. NHL thread was funny. As much as I enjoy watching both sports, they are pretty much the same in terms of popularity. The big boys remain the MLB and NFL. Plus it gets harder to take the NBA seriously due to officiating, as well as super teams. Whatever though, I enjoy watching games at times.

bionic77

That NBA vs. NHL thread was funny. As much as I enjoy watching both sports, they are pretty much the same in terms of popularity. The big boys remain the MLB and NFL. Plus it gets harder to take the NBA seriously due to officiating, as well as super teams. Whatever though, I enjoy watching games at times.
MLB is big? :lol

All their fans are old white dudes. At least the NBA and NHL attract young people.

cdyhybrid

There's like one story a year that would rise to the level of non-NFL fans caring. Don't think it matters much. Though maybe Haslam could be a topic, if only b/c his brother is Governor of Tennessee. Of course that would be a typical ______ OT thread given the politics of it

edit:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Kraft Family hopes to assist recovery for victims of Boston Marathon tragedy by matching up to $100,000 in donations.

Or about 1% of the money he swindled Brady out of

Tammy is a true hero. Took less money so it could be donated to the victims of the bombing.

Milchjon

Does the NHL have a cultural impact anywhere near the NBA?
Over here, everyone knows about the NBA and its stars. No one knows about the NHL. And it seems like other areas of entertainment (or fashion) are much more entangled with the NBA and its players.

Tell me if this is gay or weird guys.

I was listening to that Pink duet 'Learn to Love Again' and while I am not generally a fan of pop or Pink, I have to say I like the song. I heard it on the radio while reading the series The Name of the Wind (really good fantasy series for those into that sort of shit) in my car and the song fit the book really well. So much so that I put it on Youtube and listened to it for the next 30 minutes.

Yay or nay on this song? If necessary please insert personal attacks on my taste in music.

The song is called 'Just Give Me a Reason' and it's decent for a ballad. I've actually liked a few songs off of Pink's latest album. I think she brings a more unique sound to the pop field than others.

As for Name of the Wind, Rothfuss hit a homerun on the first book then took a big swing at book 2 and whiffed pretty bad. I bought both in hardcover, but I'll wait for book 3 to come down in price before biting the bullet on it.

Godslay

Banned
MLB is big? :lol

All their fans are old white dudes. At least the NBA and NHL attract young people.

Maybe so, and the popularity of sports may change over time due to that. As of right now though MLB is still bigger than the NBA. Adding on to that though, most of the people I know don't care about the NBA, and think it's a joke really. I enjoy the NBA though, but it does have it's moments.

Godslay

Banned
Over here, everyone knows about the NBA and its stars. No one knows about the NHL. And it seems like other areas of entertainment (or fashion) are much more entangled with the NBA and its players.

It's regional. Maybe Slo can correct me on this, but take a place like Minnesota. I would bet, and it changes depending on if a team has a winning season, that the Vikings are the most popular, followed closely by the Twins, which is followed closely by the Wild (I would bet that these two could be swapped depending on the season), and then the TWolves. Hockey is much more prevalent in this area.

Same could likely be said for other places, such as Detroit. Red Wings are immensely popular, more so than the Pistons, but maybe not the Tigers. I'm sure at times the Wings are were more popular than all of them due to winning. It's fluid I guess.

So this came up at work today. We have a project management tool and a guy asked me whether we use "the BIRT tool" to extract metrics.

And I thought...

"Yes, yes I know ...
Picture+2.png

... the Bert tool."

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
We're supposed to be posting player signings and other NFL news in OT.

There's only a handful of NFL news that is probably worthy of its own thread. Peyton Manning to the Broncos is probably the most recent story that I can think of that would be worth posting there. Flacco's contract maybe? Probably not.

The touchdownterception scandal was probably worth its own topic. Basically if it's important enough to end up on people's facebook feeds from casual sports fans I suppose.

It's regional. Maybe Slo can correct me on this, but take a place like Minnesota. I would bet, and it changes depending on if a team has a winning season, that the Vikings are the most popular, followed closely by the Twins, which is followed closely by the Wild (I would bet that these two could be swapped depending on the season), and then the TWolves. Hockey is much more prevalent in this area.

Same could likely be said for other places, such as Detroit. Red Wings are immensely popular, more so than the Pistons, but maybe not the Tigers. I'm sure at times the Wings are were more popular than all of them due to winning. It's fluid I guess.

It really depends on team success and how many band-wagoners you have.

For instance, growing up in Pittsburgh in the 70's, it was all Steelers and Pirates. The Penguins were also-rans and frankly my dad took us to exactly one Pens game the whole time I lived there, and that might have been the only Pens game I saw (TV or otherwise).

Now Pittsburgh is clearly 1, Steelers, 2, Pens, 3, Pirates. The Pens' success with Lemieux and Crosby has made hockey a very popular sport, while the Pirates woes for the last two decades have turned them into a minor league team for the MLB big boys.

bionic77

Maybe so, and the popularity of sports may change over time due to that. As of right now though MLB is still bigger than the NBA. Adding on to that though, most of the people I know don't care about the NBA, and think it's a joke really. I enjoy the NBA though, but it does have it's moments.
In what way is the MLB bigger than the NBA?

So this came up at work today. We have a project management tool and a guy asked me whether we use "the BIRT tool" to extract metrics.

And I thought...

"Yes, yes I know ...
Picture+2.png

... the Bert tool."

Joe really has to be the biggest dork to ever be Super Bowl MVP. Like, I love him, but if he ever walked past me carrying books I'd have to dump them.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Bans are not going to be explained. Warnings are not efficient. Mods are encouraged to participate personally and steer discussions in the right direction, but at >50,000 posts per day this isn't always going to happen or have a significant effect on a large thread in progress.

Still, more hands-on will be encouraged.

Sounds like more somewhat random bans are possible in some threads.

E6tUfnl.jpg

cdyhybrid

Sounds like more somewhat random bans are possible in some threads.

E6tUfnl.jpg

I don't think bans necessarily need to be explained every time, but if you're changing the way mods are doing things it's probably better to make it crystal clear until the posters can adjust to it.

Hunter S.

Basketball is on its way to being the number 2 international sport. The most popular international sports are usually poor mawill ns sports that do not cost much money to play. Hence why soccer easily remain dominate and why football and ice hockey will not catch on, the equipment is more expensive.
Code:
Code:

Godslay

Banned
In what way is the MLB bigger than the NBA?

Franchise values for starters. Average value of a franchise is larger in the MLB than it is in the NBA. MLB brings in more revenue. Basketball is making gains on the MLB, but they haven't overtaken it yet.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's important to note that NCAA football is bigger than the NBA or MLB.

It's getting harder and harder to justify not paying those college players...

Godslay

Banned
It's important to note that NCAA football is bigger than the NBA or MLB.

It's getting harder and harder to justify not paying those college players...

Yeah, that's crazy. Especially when you consider the NCAA is basically a minor league system for the NFL.

Wes

venison crêpe
Tom Reed ‏ @ treedPD 1m # browns OLB Jabaal Sheard says he will play on the right side. He was a left defensive end last season.

Hmmmmmm

daryl ruiter ‏ @ ruiterwrongfan 4m

richardson said 1st thing norv turner said to him was "i had emmitt smith" which excites him to play in this offense

Awwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaah

Greg Little ‏ @ Str8UpGlittle 3m

This offense is a wide receivers dream and it's only day 1!

The hype train has left the station!

bionic77

The song is called 'Just Give Me a Reason' and it's decent for a ballad. I've actually liked a few songs off of Pink's latest album. I think she brings a more unique sound to the pop field than others.

As for Name of the Wind, Rothfuss hit a homerun on the first book then took a big swing at book 2 and whiffed pretty bad. I bought both in hardcover, but I'll wait for book 3 to come down in price before biting the bullet on it.
Eh I liked the 2nd book. Not as good as the first, but that one was always going to be tough to follow. Just read them back to back over the past 10 days.

And regarding MLB versus NBA I am pretty sure everything gets better ratings than the MLB.

Draxal

Eh I liked the 2nd book. Not as good as the first, but that one was always going to be tough to follow. Just read them back to back over the past 10 days.

And regarding MLB versus NBA I am pretty sure everything gets better ratings than the MLB.

I just remember the second book having 400 pages of him having sex with a sex fairy, just went on and on and on and on.

So mean.

29manning.xlarge1.jpg

Look at that young Anthony Michael Hall looking face! (put some fucking socks on Peyton!)

Man, Cooper and Eli look alot alike, Petyon's forehead just ruins the family resemblance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom