• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

A little nightmare fuel for you assholes. Click for maximum effect.

That smile...

7i5YLfs.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Let's say Austin goes to BUF at 8. PITT is a 17 and JAX wants to trade up for a QB. What is your goal as far as trade back? In a bad draft, what is the adjusted expectation?

I'd be happy with their 2nd this year (for Cyprien!) and their 2nd next year. It's next year that I'd really want to stockpile picks if for no other reason than to use them to move further up.

Their 1st pick in 2014 straight up would be the best scenario.

squicken

I'd be happy with their 2nd this year (for Cyprien!) and their 2nd next year. It's next year that I'd really want to stockpile picks if for no other reason than to use them to move further up.

Their 1st pick in 2014 straight up would be the best scenario.

Supposedly that is what SF wants to do with all their picks. Use value of 2013 2nd and 3rd rounds to get picks in 2014. But the Chiefs can't get anything close to what STL got for RG3. I don't think, if someone is selling, that Clwoney, Bridgewater or Boyd will be cheap next year, either. I think I am forgetting someone as well. 2013 is a good year to tank. Not making fun, but OAK fans will probably be happy by the end of the year

edit: just looking at Walter Football

ASJ, Jake Matthews, Lee could be top 10 picks in this draft, right now as well

edit2: Little tidbit. Eagles interviewed Kevin Sumlin while Chip was still making up his mind. So that's a coach that could be in play next year

ChanHuk

Banned
Suck for Clowney!!!! In other news, Eric Fisher says he doesn't care if he's playing LT or RT. I like his attitude, Fisher and Veldheer as our bookends do sound mighty nice if we don't trade down or go after Star, fuck you Reggie if you get Floyd.

squicken

Suck for Clowney!!!! In other news, Eric Fisher says he doesn't care if he's playing LT or RT. I like his attitude, Fisher and Veldheer as our bookends do sound mighty nice if we don't trade down or go after Star, fuck you Reggie if you get Floyd.

Have read they really like the Joekel. Gotta figure they take Fisher is he's there as well

That's been my position all along. Move away from 17 if at all possible. Since the Steelers haven't shown a proclivity for trading down, I'm now putting my effort into trading up.
Steelers would give up too much to get higher and there really isn't much there. I really hope that whatever the Steelers do, they don't reach. For obvious reasons i'm confident they won't.

Are we having a new thread for the draft next week? Or just continuing with this?
Edit: I guess we're technically not even half way to a new thread, post count wise.

Are we having a new thread for the draft next week? Or just continuing with this?
Edit: I guess we're technically not even half way to a new thread, post count wise.

I was thinking about it but yeah we're half way and it doesn't add much.

I'd really like to do a more in-depth analysis of the draft/roster moves for the week 1 thread though (or at least closer to the season).

I liked that last year.

I was thinking about it but yeah we're half way and it doesn't add much.

I'd really like to do a more in-depth analysis of the draft/roster moves for the week 1 thread though (or at least closer to the season).

I liked that last year.

Would the draft + analysis constitute the kind of thread EviLore is talking about having in OT, or would it be paired alongside this hive of insular villainy in Community?

I don't think NFL-age has the false sense of self importance NBA-age has

Also I know I'm quite a few years too late on it, but the last book I read was Franzen's The Corrections. What a phenomenal, perspective changing read. John Updike's Rabbit novels are really important to me too. Especially growing up in a divorced household and seeing how ostracized my father has become, and seeing the beginning signs of it in myself. Got a nook, but never really used it. I hear the Kindle is way better.

ChanHuk

Banned
No one really knows what happens at #1 since KC could trade it. But would you want Fisher at 3? Most stuff I've seen has Floyd going there

I want either Fisher or Star at 3. Lets be honest here, Floyd was a 2nd rounder before the combine. The guy did NOT produce in college. I honestly rather have big boy Star in the middle stuffing runs. Most those draft experts had Star as the best player available in the 2013 draft until that heart condition shit came up. Now nobody talks about the guy. He's not flashy but he's as Gruden says, a football player. If he's anywhere near as good as Ngata, he's better than Floyd.

Really, if any of you top 4 guys lets Fischer fall to 5, that would be super. If anyone has any tout among their franchises, now is the time to use it. Let me be happy!

Colasante

Star should be the Raiders' pick. Or Milliner. I don't think Floyd is the transcendent talent all the draftniks suddenly discovered he was.

ChanHuk

Banned
Lions fans are almost as horrible as Pats fans, unless of course you believe Barry Sanders is GOAT and think the organization is horrible for making him quit.

squicken

I think we should probably have a draft thread. There will be casual fans who will be interested. Probably not an OT thread, but something in Community that people can see in the title

More tidbits from podcasts and such:

-Arians will take Fluker if he can't get one of the top 3. Like physical maulers in run game. Supposedly he likes to run more than he has in PITT and IND, but lines always prevented it

-Jets OC really wants Austin. Will test where power of org is, as Rex really wants a pass rusher. Could be moot after Revis trade, since they can get both

-No one with the Browns likes Weeden. They want to move on, but it won't be in first round. But they are looking to replace him ASAP

I want either Fisher or Star at 3. Lets be honest here, Floyd was a 2nd rounder before the combine. The guy did NOT produce in college. I honestly rather have big boy Star in the middle stuffing runs. Most those draft experts had Star as the best player available in the 2013 draft until that heart condition shit came up. Now nobody talks about the guy. He's not flashy but he's as Gruden says, a football player. If he's anywhere near as good as Ngata, he's better than Floyd.

I'd rather have Star as well, but I was hearing stuff about Floyd pre-combine. Everyone likes him except for the short arms

ChanHuk

Banned
I'd rather have Star as well, but I was hearing stuff about Floyd pre-combine. Everyone likes him except for the short arms

Star > Floyd; although Floyd would be a definite lock for the Raiders if Al were drafting, he's an athletic freak. Al made the mistake once of drafting Huff over Ngata, now they're on the same team ironically.

Explain por favor

Already explained, Lions' shitty management made Barry quit, I will forever hate the Lions because of that.

But the Chiefs can't get anything close to what STL got for RG3.

Obviously pulling this out of my ass, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs took something like a 2nd rounder and a 4th to move into the 10-14 range.

In Romeo Crennel news:
@Edwerderespn: Brandon Flowers noted how unlike predecessor, Andy Reid willing to stop practice today to correct mistakes.

Already explained, Lions' shitty management made Barry quit, I will forever hate the Lions because of that.

You can't blame the fans for that. I think its pretty well documented that the ownership is awful. Too much faith in impotent leadership. Look at Wayne Fontes and Mtt Millen. No owner should have ever stuck with them for any extended period. But here I am (and other Lions fans) dealing with it. No one wanted to see Barry retire, but thems the breaks. We as fans suffered far more than you do as a fan of just Barry Sanders

squicken

Squicken what podcast are you referring to?

Lance Zierlein had Adam Caplan on his show today and they did a full mock draft, dropping tidbits and such. Remember, LZ's dad works with the Cards and Caplan and Banner know each other. So certain things they are better on than others

http://www.sports790.com/cc-common/...st=041613_CharlieLance_1_1366156234_12509.mp3

Also, Charlie Campbell from Walter Football and Matt Williamson from ESPN did a live mock draft today as well

http://t.co/pFbYaCZsUr

Obviously pulling this out of my ass, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs took something like a 2nd rounder and a 4th to move into the 10-14 range.

In Romeo Crennel news:

I saw that earlier. It was so obvious they should have never hired Romeo. Just too much of a players' coach. OC was also terrible. But maybe they sneak into the playoffs?

ChanHuk

Banned
You can't blame the fans for that. I think its pretty well documented that the ownership is awful. Too much faith in impotent leadership. Look at Wayne Fontes and Mtt Millen. No owner should have ever stuck with them for any extended period. But here I am (and other Lions fans) dealing with it. No one wanted to see Barry retire, but thems the breaks. We as fans suffered far more than you do as a fan of just Barry Sanders

Wayne Fontes was the one that convinced management to draft Barry. Otherwise you woulda gotten the other Sanders, Deion. So I hate Wayne Fontes most, Lions fans should be thanking him for GOAT Barry.

Would the draft + analysis constitute the kind of thread EviLore is talking about having in OT, or would it be paired alongside this hive of insular villainy in Community?
That's what I had in mind for a "pre-season" launch thread.

Reminding everyone what happened in the draft, what happened since, and what GAF lifelongs(TM) think of their team and their chances in 2013.

So I think it'd be best to hold off.

That's what I had in mind for a "pre-season" launch thread.

Reminding everyone what happened in the draft, what happened since, and what GAF lifelongs(TM) think of their team and their chances in 2013.

So I think it'd be best to hold off.
We still got CJ-2k at RB. Little hope. Unless we get lucky and draft Lacy

bionic77

I don't think NFL-age has the false sense of self importance NBA-age has

Also I know I'm quite a few years too late on it, but the last book I read was Franzen's The Corrections. What a phenomenal, perspective changing read. John Updike's Rabbit novels are really important to me too. Especially growing up in a divorced household and seeing how ostracized my father has become, and seeing the beginning signs of it in myself. Got a nook, but never really used it. I hear the Kindle is way better.
NBA age is just filled with really angry assholes. When I first joined I gravitated more to NBA side because it used to be hilarious. But now it is just a bunch of assholes who jump on everything.

One of the problems is the statistics movement in basketball. If it is this bad NBA side God knows what goes in the MLB thread.

Thankfully the NFL still exists, where luck and "clutchness" are still the most important elements of any championship. Praise Tebow for a one game take all playoff format. That is what hurts the NBA and MLB the most. In a 7 game series the best team is almost always going to win. In one game anything can and does happen.

Seriously, a Kindle was one of my best decisions.
Who gives a fuck about your good decisions.

Other then being a Ravens fan tell us about some of your bad decisions.

Talon

NBA age is just filled with really angry assholes. When I first joined I gravitated more to NBA side because it used to be hilarious. But now it is just a bunch of assholes who jump on everything.

One of the problems is the statistics movement in basketball. If it is this bad NBA side God knows what goes in the MLB thread.

Thankfully the NFL still exists, where luck and "clutchness" are still the most important elements of any championship. Praise Tebow for a one game take all playoff format. That is what hurts the NBA and MLB the most. In a 7 game series the best team is almost always going to win. In one game anything can and does happen.
MLB-GAF is the friendliest community group on this board.

The only people that get shit on are the inevitable lifelongs come WS.

eznark

Banned
I "behave" because there is intelligent discussion to be had with the vast majority of people in that thread (vast majority of baseball fans, really). This thread is for knuckle-draggers and mouth breathers and the only thing you people respond to is brute force and humiliation.

Love you guys.

So Lifelongs + Relievers, really.

MLB-GAF: Unsafe for Chad Durbin, John Axford, and "Cardinals fans."

I guess I should have specified. The only humans I shit on are Brewers. Sub-human sewer suckers are not exempt from my ire.

So Lifelongs + Relievers, really.

MLB-GAF: Unsafe for Chad Durbin, John Axford, and "Cardinals fans."

If only the universe was unsafe for Durbin. sigh

Edit: The Phils get more grief than any other team in thread by far. There is a huge number of posters from the other NL East teams.

effzee

Yeah the NBA threads are unbearable especially with the group of Lakers fans and anti-Heat fans just yelling and crying about the same thing over and over.

Anyway there is an excellent Sal Pal interview with the Eagles PR guy Dave Spadaro on the Eagles website:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/m...irection/4a2c1881-1d0a-4002-9171-483e5201a5d3

Some interesting notes:

• Sal Pal says how he hasn't seen such a change from top to bottom before in the NFL when a new HC comes in. Only thing even close to resembling it was when Mangini and his serious regime was replaced by the clown show of Rex Ryan
  • Never seen so much detailed change from how players eat to what and how they work out; referring to the navy seal ex marines trainer brought in for strength and conditioning
  • Dave admitted that there is new buzz and energy that was lacking even from the new players the past few years. That everything had become stale from the practices to the locker room. This is the first time he has ever admitted anything about the Reid regime not being amazing.
  • Dave also admitted that back in 99 he and the PR department knew at least a week before the draft that McNabb was going to be the pick. They were told to make the highlight reels and prepare the fluff pieces. No such thing right now with Chip. No indication of who they will pick
  • Sal Pal's feeling on the # 4 pick: assuming Reid takes Joeckel, the Eagles take Fisher if he is available. If Fisher is gone then Dion Jordan. If both Jordan and Fisher are gone then the phone will be ringing off the hook with the Eagles possibly looking to trade down and teams looking to move up for Geno.
  • While he won't be shocked if they picked Geno Smith, he seems to think they will focus on the DL/OL since this is more of a draft for the trenches. Says nothing dooms a coach, especially a first time coach, more and faster than missing on a QB. Unless they are sure about Geno no need to risk it.

eznark

Banned
If only the universe was unsafe for Durbin. sigh

Edit: The Phils get more grief than any other team in thread by far. There is a huge number of posters from the other NL East teams.

The "grief" Phillies fans get is generally for being baseball Luddites and is generally done in a considerate (if not condescending) fashion. Like patting the slow kid on the head as you try to teach them the alphabet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom