• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

I don't think top to bottom changes are a good sign.

That is what you can do if you run a high school or college program and don't have to pay your players.

In the pros the best coaches are able to adapt and succeed with what they are given. There are also the coaches that are geniuses at rebuilding, but there are not many coaches who can do both and most can do neither very well.

Brinbe

Yeah the NBA threads are unbearable especially with the group of Lakers fans and anti-Heat fans just yelling and crying about the same thing over and over.

Anyway there is an excellent Sal Pal interview with the Eagles PR guy Dave Spadaro on the Eagles website:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/m...irection/4a2c1881-1d0a-4002-9171-483e5201a5d3

Some interesting notes:

• Sal Pal says how he hasn't seen such a change from top to bottom before in the NFL when a new HC comes in. Only thing even close to resembling it was when Mangini and his serious regime was replaced by the clown show of Rex Ryan
  • Never seen so much detailed change from how players eat to what and how they work out; referring to the navy seal ex marines trainer brought in for strength and conditioning
  • Dave admitted that there is new buzz and energy that was lacking even from the new players the past few years. That everything had become stale from the practices to the locker room. This is the first time he has ever admitted anything about the Reid regime not being amazing.
  • Dave also admitted that back in 99 he and the PR department knew at least a week before the draft that McNabb was going to be the pick. They were told to make the highlight reels and prepare the fluff pieces. No such thing right now with Chip. No indication of who they will pick
  • Sal Pal's feeling on the # 4 pick: assuming Reid takes Joeckel, the Eagles take Fisher if he is available. If Fisher is gone then Dion Jordan. If both Jordan and Fisher are gone then the phone will be ringing off the hook with the Eagles possibly looking to trade down and teams looking to move up for Geno.
  • While he won't be shocked if they picked Geno Smith, he seems to think they will focus on the DL/OL since this is more of a draft for the trenches. Says nothing dooms a coach, especially a first time coach, more and faster than missing on a QB. Unless they are sure about Geno no need to risk it.
Good stuff all-around, thanks for the write-up! All that really matters are the results on the field, so it remains to be seen whether all those internal changes will matter at all. But I'm hopeful it'll lead to an improved culture at the very least.

Anyway, I would love to add Fisher or Jordan and this is a draft where you can still find good players (like Warmack/Cooper/Lane Johnson/Milliner/Tavon Austin?) if you move down a little bit. And I'd rather we go EJ in the early 2nd (if he makes it to use) or even Matt Scott later on (lol another Arizona QB) than take Geno that early.

That is what you can do if you run a high school or college program and don't have to pay your players.

In the pros the best coaches are able to adapt and succeed with what they are given. There are also the coaches that are geniuses at rebuilding, but there are not many coaches who can do both and most can do neither very well.
Very different circumstance, Reid's been in charge for 14-years, any change was gonna seem drastic. Although, I admit, I don't like that they moved training camp away from Lehigh and kept things centralized to the team facilities in Philly.

squicken

In the NFL you almost always have to change bad teams top to bottom. There are some cases like the Chiefs or the 49ers where the talent was good but there was a QB/coaching problem that dragged everything down. But teams like the Raiders and Rams were giant dumpster fires that had to be completely turned over

bionic77

In the NFL you almost always have to change bad teams top to bottom. There are some cases like the Chiefs or the 49ers where the talent was good but there was a QB/coaching problem that dragged everything down. But teams like the Raiders and Rams were giant dumpster fires that had to be completely turned over
When the coach gets involved to the degree where he is telling his players what to eat, when to shit that sounds like a college coach who is not adapting to the realities of the pro game.

You have to deal with egos, salaries, and men as a pro coach. They are not going to be intimidated by you and if you waste their time with shit like that then you can lose the locker room really quickly.

I also don't agree with making changes just to make changes. If the old o-line coach was great then don't just bring in your guy for the sake of it and to surround yourself with people you can control.

Time will tell but I never like the news of a coach making that many changes that quickly.

When the coach gets involved to the degree where he is telling his players what to eat, when to shit that sounds like a college coach who is not adapting to the realities of the pro game.

You have to deal with egos, salaries, and men as a pro coach. They are not going to be intimidated by you and if you waste their time with shit like that then you can lose the locker room really quickly.

I also don't agree with making changes just to make changes. If the old o-line coach was great then don't just bring in your guy for the sake of it and to surround yourself with people you can control.

Time will tell but I never like the news of a coach making that many changes that quickly.

Normally I would agree with you because when a coach usually micromanages like this he is just a control freak and players dont respond to that. At least with Chip there is a reason for the shit he is doing. He has said repeatedly that he wants the Eagles to run way more plays per game on offense. I have no idea if the players will buy in or not but that is why he is doing that stuff.

Dragon

Banned
Zelda: Link to the Past 2 announced for 3DS......holy shit. :eek:

It looks hideous. Between that and Yoshi's Island 3DS I'm not sure what Nintendo is doing art direction wise but holy shit it's bad.

zelda58uk4.gif

fdjP4oR.gif

It's almost like they just put a shit filter on top of it for some reason.

bionic77

Normally I would agree with you because when a coach usually micromanages like this he is just a control freak and players dont respond to that. At least with Chip there is a reason for the shit he is doing. He has said repeatedly that he wants the Eagles to run way more plays per game on offense. I have no idea if the players will buy in or not but that is why he is doing that stuff.
That may end up working if management gives him the time to implement it and a GM who can get him the right kind of players. Also a ton of ifs and of course luck and injuries plays a big role as well.

I also wonder if the fans will be patient if this is something that will take 2-3 years before it works the way he wants it to.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It looks hideous. Between that and Yoshi's Island 3DS I'm not sure what Nintendo is doing art direction wise but holy shit it's bad.

Yeah, I saw the title and got so hyped but it doesn't follow the beautiful art style of the first.....=/

That may end up working if management gives him the time to implement it and a GM who can get him the right kind of players. Also a ton of ifs and of course luck and injuries plays a big role as well.

I also wonder if the fans will be patient if this is something that will take 2-3 years before it works the way he wants it to.

I definitely think fans will be patient for 2 years, it is going to take that long at the least to get the QB position figured out. They dont have any on the roster now, and even if they get 1 in the draft it will be a developmental thing.

Edit: LttP is one of the greatest games of all time. A sequel will get me to pull out my 3DS for sure.

My god Nintendo is fucking killing it. I just saw the Earthbound news. Hopefully this means Mother 3 is coming at some point. I am surprised that they would give us these 2 megatons before E3.

Dragon

Banned
It can't be copying if i don't know it exists!

Nintendo pioneering gameplay mechanics once again.

You're a fellow new Big East fan so I'll cut you some slack.

I really wish Nintendo would do new IPs but I've been wishing that for years and what we get is Wii Fit.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

zelda58uk4.gif

fdjP4oR.gif

It's almost like they just put a shit filter on top of it for some reason.

That looks really, really awful. I'm sure the gameplay is great but it looks like something played in a SNES emulator.

eznark

Banned
Man Reggie is fucking annoying and wears lip gloss.

You're just salty because you thought a compressed .gif represented the look of the game.

lolol, wienke did it too. Zelda looks just like a better version of the two DS games, graphically.

Talon

That Yoshi Island clip from the video is bizarre. The background is almost impressionist a la Braid but then the foreground is all Yoshi's Story.

Also, I've never finished a Zelda game. Bought Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker at launch. Kill me, Internet.

You're just salty because you thought a compressed .gif represented the look of the game.

lolol, wienke did it too. Zelda looks just like a better version of the two DS games, graphically.

cmon you guys are better than that!

also, like SML 3D, i bet this new zelda game is going to look awesome with the 3D cranked to max. Loved the depth in SML3D

Dragon

Banned

Compressed? I mean obviously I'm not viewing it with the highly useless 3D aspect but I'm not sure how compression will mean much of a difference to an image 400 x 240. It has a shitty shitty fucking filter on it, and Link looks fucking weird.

bionic77

Yeah WTF?

I saw the youtubes of the games and they look awesome.

The wall mechanic of Zelda was OMFG worthy.

I expect that level of stupidity from a Pats fan but ez you better get a grip on your own.

eznark

Banned
Compressed? I mean obviously I'm not viewing it with the highly useless 3D aspect but I'm not sure how compression will mean much of a difference to an image 400 x 240. It has a shitty shitty fucking filter on it, and Link looks fucking weird.

You should watch the video at least, you're kind of making a fool of yourself.

Yoshi's Island on the other hand just looks kind of awful in terms of style.

That Yoshi Island clip from the video is bizarre. The background is almost impressionist a la Braid but then the foreground is all Yoshi's Story.

Also, I've never finished a Zelda game. Bought Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker at launch. Kill me, Internet.

Go play through LttP, please. It is a masterpiece that holds up perfectly well today.

Dragon

Banned

I watched the video. When the screen turned green, it looked like green turd instead of brown turd. I've had both kinds and neither one is pleasant.

Yeah WTF?

I saw the youtubes of the games and they look awesome.

The wall mechanic of Zelda was OMFG worthy.

I expect that level of stupidity from a Pats fan but ez you better get a grip on your own.

If you're worried about being "gay" by watching Pink, using phrases like OMFG worthy definitely doesn't help!

bionic77

I might be biased because Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games of all time but I think the new one looks good.

Or I might just be desperate for a game to equal or surpass the original.

After Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem I will give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

bionic77

If you're worried about being "gay" by watching Pink, using phrases like OMFG worthy definitely doesn't help!
I don't watch Pink, just listened to the song. She is not a very attractive person IMO.

And I have no problem with OMFG worthy. LTTP 2 is worthy of such a statement.

edit: That Mario and Luigi RPG is pretty far out there. Looks like Nintendo gave that franchise to some serious stoners.

I forgot how absolutely stupid the Gaming side gets over their Zelda games. "OMFG PAPER ZELDA?!?!?!" It's likely just a method of traversal in some dungeons. I doubt we'll be in that artstyle the majority of the game.

effzee

I agree and disagree. Of course we all have to see how it works out. This could be an all time failure and he might only last 2-3 seasons.

Or it could work. And for all the changes he is bringing he always emphasizes that he knows the college game and players are different than NFL guys. He acknowledged that the roster is smaller so he can't just push these guys until he brings in more guys. That guys are older. He even gets annoyed when reporters/analysts try to pencil him in as a read option guy exclusively. He has gone on and on about how he can't draft a whole new team and that outside of the 5-6 guys from the draft who might make the team, he has to work with the team that he was handed. This means working with their strengths and weaknesses.

Obviously some changes had to be made, especially if the Eagles on PR stooge admits things had gotten stale, players weren't responding to Reid, and that there was no energy during OTAs/training camp/practices. Mostly I think the changes will work because it was about damn time they made a change, the changes in working out and nutrition are for more reasonable changes than say if he proposed bed time or was being anal like Tom Coughlin when Strahan went crazy.

And when you have so many needs all across the team might as well rip everything out and begin anew. As much as you can. I think the fans and even the owner will give Chip a good 2-3 seasons. Very patient owner almost to a fault. But if there is no measurable improvement year to year then yeah I won't be shocked if he is fired by the end of season 2. No one expects a turnaround in one year unless of course they draft a QB who turns out to be like Wilson or better. 2-3 seasons to build a new D, retool the offense, and draft a franchise QB seems reasonable.

bionic77

I forgot how absolutely stupid the Gaming side gets over their Zelda games. "OMFG PAPER ZELDA?!?!?!" It's likely just a method of traversal in some dungeons. I doubt we'll be in that artstyle the majority of the game.
That is being way too generous to gaming side limiting their stupidity to just zelda.

They get stupid over pretty much everything.

These are the same people that crapped all over Wind Waker until it came out and then it was suddenly the popular choice for best 3D Zelda.

The lesson? Buy Fire Emblem at launch and wait for real peoples opinions' on everything else after they are released. It would be nice if we had good game reviews to read but...

Roto:
Browns OC Norv Turner has coached the NFL's leading rusher five times with three different players (Emmitt Smith, Ricky Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson).
Turner took a lot of heat for his bungling of Ryan Matthews in San Diego, but that was an exception to the rule. Normally, he loves riding one back and usually devises schemes that lead to success. It's more good news for Trent Richardson, who is fully healthy after nagging injuries played a part in his disappointing 3.55 YPC average last season.
Leading Rusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom