• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

I hate the NFL. The Colts had one bad year and went to schedule Siberia, while the Eagles sucked ass balls when they weren't fumbling and open up MNF

effzee

If this KC Miami deal doesn't go down, probability of Eagles trading down with either Miami or San Diego becomes a real possibility.

Caplan on Eagles live right now says Eagles will not take QB at 4. Say if Eagles stay put at 4 then Dion Jordan is the pick if available. Says in 3 years he will be the best player from this years draft. JAX and OAK real threats to the Eagles for picking Dion Jordan. Eagles might have to move up to 2 or 3 if they really don't want anyone else and Dion is the guy.

He also says Reid trying to trade out of #1 but no one is interested. So KC's deal to Miami might depend on if they can move from #1. If not they might trade him to Miami since they would have to select Jockel.

Caplan also says if Eagles select a defensive guy at 4, then Eric Winston becomes a real possibility as a FA signing for RT since there won't be any market left for him.

No wonder on Smith from Bengals. Did he re sign already? I'd take him at RT over Winston easily.

If this KC Miami deal doesn't go down,
According to PFT, there is no deal. At least in so far as the Dolphins having permission to talk to Albert.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 29m

Contrary to a report, Andy Reid says the Chiefs did not give the Dolphins permission to talk to Branden Albert

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-give-dolphins-permission-to-talk-to-albert/

I missed the Mayock call which sucks. Got busy at work. Hopefully they'll have a transcript up soon.

Thanks, Wes for the updates!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
On Lions:

Finite number of guys. Ansah vs Jordan as edge guy. Any of the three tackles. Be happy with any of those 5.

Don't think corner will come in to the conversation.

Only tough scenario is if Floyd slides. Lions can't really take him with current roster.

I can't stand Mayock, but he's right in this case.

I still will be infuriated if Ansah is the pick. The Lions can't afford to gamble on a guy that raw.

If Floyd slides because the others are gone I guarantee Detroit goes Warmack.

squicken

If they trade with the eagles they would have to give up their 1st this year, and give up those two second rounders for sure. I don't know if Miami has enough talent to be able to afford that.

You don't want to put your QB in another lost season b/c the line can't block. You can cling to value all you want, but making Tannehill run for his life behind Martin and a poop sandwich at RT is a bad idea

If they trade with the eagles they would have to give up their 1st this year, and give up those two second rounders for sure. I don't know if Miami has enough talent to be able to afford that.
I agree, but I was hoping they could do it without giving up both second round picks. If not then what do you think they should do?

You don't want to put your QB in another lost season b/c the line can't block. You can cling to value all you want, but making Tannehill run for his life behind Martin and a poop sandwich at RT is a bad idea
Are there any guys who could legitimately start at LT outside of the top three that everyone's crazy about?

Also, not only do I agree with you, I'm guessing Ireland is thinking the same way. The guy is obviously going all out for this year because he knows he can't afford another bad season.

Rumors are that they wouldn't have to give up that much to the Raiders. I think it was picks 12, 42, 146 and something next year. Apparently the Raiders are also interested in Davone Bess, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

cdyhybrid

I agree, but I was hoping they could do it without giving up both second round picks. If not then what do you think they should do?

Are there any guys who could legitimately start at LT outside of the top three that everyone's crazy about?

Also, not only do I agree with you, I'm guessing Ireland is thinking the same way. The guy is obviously going all out for this year because he knows he can't afford another bad season.

If you've got a poop sandwich currently on the roster, there's a chance that a guy outside the top 3 could be a sleeper and surprise and end up starting.

squicken

Look, here's what I'm saying. Don't draft a QB high and then stay true to your draft board while he stagnates throwing to shit WRs and gets plastered to the turf behind shit offensive linemen. Look at the good QBs in the league. All of those teams go heavy with offensive linemen and or/WR early in the draft. If Jonathon Martin is your starting LT you should be pissed. It doesn't matter how they fix it... just fix it

Fantomex

True

I'd offer a third this year for Albert, and also trade the Dolphins overall #54 pick for KC's #63 so they can "technically" draft in the 2nd round. But you also have to remember, Albert has $9 million guaranteed this year and will need a new contract.

I would then pick Eifert or the best CB with the #12 pick.

If the dolphins feel Lane Johnson is the next Tony Boselli though, I'd offer our 1st rounder this year, and both 2nd rounders for the Eagles #4 Overall pick if he's still there.

Look, here's what I'm saying. Don't draft a QB high and then stay true to your draft board while he stagnates throwing to shit WRs and gets plastered to the turf behind shit offensive linemen. Look at the good QBs in the league. All of those teams go heavy with offensive linemen and or/WR early in the draft. If Jonathon Martin is your starting LT you should be pissed. It doesn't matter how they fix it... just fix it
It wasn't a rhetorical question...

squicken

It wasn't a rhetorical question...

haha I guess what I mean is that even if the defense gets neglected, don't worry about it. QBs are what matter. Tanne can be really good if they give him a chance. Trade for Albert. If he's not a great value they just have to live with that. Or overpay KC for the #1 pick

I was legitimately asking if you thought there were any other LT's outside of the top three that could be good enough to fill the role instead of Martin. I agree with everything you're saying, I watched the Dolphins play last year.

yeah hit reply to soon. no you have to trade up or go Albert. Some say Pugh could play LT put that is a big risk. He has really short arms and isn't really quick

haha I guess what I mean is that even if the defense gets neglected, don't worry about it. QBs are what matter. Tanne can be really good if they give him a chance
I was legitimately asking if you thought there were any other LT's outside of the top three that could be good enough to fill the role instead of Martin. I agree with everything you're saying, I watched the Dolphins play last year. Obviously Ireland agrees with you as well considering how hard he's gone after WR's already and how much talk is going on regarding the o-line.

For those that like media fights, Florio is whining about McGinn's article, and Greg Beddard is killing him about it

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard
@ProFootballTalk maybe, but not all NFL writers r created equal. @BobMcGinn has earned the right to be treated differently than glory hounds

Florio mad

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/18/were-officially-out-of-the-wonderlic-business/

PFT said:
I never understood why advertisers cared about the 18-35 demographic until I turned 36, and all of a sudden stuff that I cared about for years no longer seemed all that important.

After more than a decade in this business, things that once seemed important to me now are trivial. At one point, the Wonderlic scores generated by incoming players seemed to be critical pieces of information. I’ve now come to the conclusion that they don’t matter, and that I no longer care.

So we’re permanently out of the Wonderlic business. Moving forward, we won’t try to discover Wonderlic scores. We won’t mention Wonderlic scores reported by others. And we won’t poke fun at someone who generated a low score.

The outcome of a 50-question test that the NFL keeps using primarily because it provides an apples-to-apples comparison from one year to the next has no relevance to football abilities. Players routinely don’t give their best effort when taking the test. Many give no effort. Many don’t even know that the test will be taken.

Some have learning disabilities. Some with learning disabilities have agents who don’t know or care to request an accommodation.

As mentioned by Barry Petchesky of Deadspin, Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has disclosed this year’s Wonderlic scores for some of the receivers with the kind of snarky opening sentence that would prompt widespread derision if it came for someone less experienced or revered or decorated. McGinn, however, will continue to avoid widespread criticism — in part because he has at least one attack-dog friend in the media who admittedly has launched a “preemptive strike” to shout down potential critics.

If you want to see the scores that McGinn has posted, that’s your prerogative. And if you want to think those scores matter, feel free. If you want to get a laugh about it, don’t feel guilty; I’ve done it, too.

But I’ve now come to learn via a protracted exercise of trial and error (emphasis on “error”), that it just doesn’t matter. And it’s no longer important. And I’m done caring about the outcome of an outdated test — especially since there’s a new computer-based test that is supposed to measure a “wide range of competencies” but that McGinn didn’t even mention.

Rumors are that they wouldn't have to give up that much to the Raiders. I think it was picks 12, 42, 146 and something next year. Apparently the Raiders are also interested in Davone Bess, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

If the Dolphins want to get rid of Bess, I suggest the Pats trade for him. In return the Dolphins will receive an autographed picture of Tom Brady, a box of double stuffed Oreos and 1 ticket to the next Red Sox game.

Colasante

I have to agree with Florio on the Wonderlic thing. There is no benefit to publishing them except to open young kids to rampant, baseless criticism. Morris Claiborne being called mentally challenged by media outlets last year was the absolute worst.

squicken

Besides tape, the most important thing for players to demonstrate is during interviews. Can they learn. Will they try. We don't get to see that so we have to piece it together from all the other "leaks"

btw, if you give me $5m, I'll let you film me taking the Wonderlic naked and you can put it on the internet

Lunchbox

Banned
I hate the NFL. The Colts had one bad year and went to schedule Siberia, while the Eagles sucked ass balls when they weren't fumbling and open up MNF

the only thing that made people care about the colts was watching to see how will they manage to lose to us

but now pepe's gone, youre nothing more than the bills or jags. luck is a goober, not fit for primetime tv

btw, if you give me $5m, I'll let you film me taking the Wonderlic naked and you can put it on the internet

I'll do it for $1 million.

Sidenote

DOUWsES.jpg

Cutest thing ever?

effzee

Salivating at the thought of getting both of Miami's 2nd round picks in that trade scenario. Would leave us with 3 second round picks which gives tremendous flexibility to move back up into the first or stay and get 3 really good players in the 2nd.

Also hadn't thought about it but assuming eagles pick a Tackle at 4, regardless of where they played in college, the Eagles will start him at RT since Peters anchors LT. This frees up Todd to move back to his natural G spot. The other G spot is solidified by Mathis who graded out as actually the top G last year in the entire NFL. Kelce at C. Where does that leave Watkins? He was a first round pick and while that would be amazing depth, what waste of money and of a draft pick would that be? Thanks a lot Reid!

Maybe in that case they would somehow move him?

effzee

NFC East is major ratings regardless of how well they are doing.

And no matter how bad Vick and the Eagles have been over the past 2 seasons, Vick generates interest and viewership even as a polarizing figure.

Add in Chip Kelly, protein shakes, Ducks, and a fast paced offense and I can see why the networks would rather put Eagles games on national tv over Colts.

If its any consolation you guys will have a much better season.

Colasante

I wonder if Dimitroff is just being silly or are they really going to move up? What's their huge need?

Secondary and pass rush. I don't really see the need for a massive trade up, they could stand pat and wait for Rhodes, Trufant, Taylor, Carradine, Werner, or someone else to fall to them.

squicken

Secondary and pass rush. I don't really see the need for a massive trade up, they could stand pat and wait for Rhodes, Trufant, Taylor, Carradine, Werner, or someone else to fall to them.

Who is worth trading up for? I'm not seeing the Julio equivalent at either spot, in this draft. Only think to go nuts on would be a LT

Colasante

Who is worth trading up for? I'm not seeing the Julio equivalent at either spot, in this draft. Only think to go nuts on would be a LT

I'm guessing Dee Milliner or maybe Dion Jordan. I'd be skeptical of the trade rumor being totally legit if it weren't Peter King reporting it, since he was the one who broke the news about their interest in trading up for Julio Jones back in 2011.

squicken

toughest overall schedule: Carolina Panthers .543, Detroit Lions .539, New Orleans Saints .539, St. Louis Rams .539, Baltimore Ravens .535

toughest road schedule: St. Louis Rams .613, Seattle Seahawks .594, New Orleans Saints .574, Minnesota Vikings .570, Green Bay Packers .566

toughest home game sched:: San Francisco 49ers .605 Arizona Cardinals .602 Detroit Lions .586 Baltimore Ravens .578 Cincinnati Bengals .570

easiest overall schedule: Kansas City Chiefs .473 Oakland Raiders .469 Indianapolis Colts .461 San Diego Chargers .457 Denver

easiest home schedule: Seattle Seahawks .438 Washington Redskins .434 Philadelphia Eagles .430 Oakland Raiders .406 Denver Broncos .352 #NFL

easiest road schedule: Buffalo Bills .422 Dallas Cowboys .414 Kansas City Chiefs .406 New York Giants .406 San Diego Chargers .375 #NFL

Met with my insurance adjuster today. Thankfully, the car is repairable. Not a total loss. The entire repair will cost the insurance company a total of $5600. There was no engine damage at all. No REAL damage to any major system at all, really. Outside of the brakes on the right hand side being fucked and replaced, the rest of it is purely cosmetic!

We'll pay the $500 deductible and be done with it. The car will be fully repaired and ready to go on April 30th. Thankfully, I have accident forgiveness on my policy so the first accident my wife had with the Saturn isn't calculated for my premiums. I'm going to see about a 10% hike in my premiums total after this one. Which all things considered, isn't bad at all.

cdyhybrid

Doug Farrar from Yahoo has just on the radio here and he thinks the Seahawks will be in nickel 60% of their defensive snaps, since Winfield is so food against the run.

easiest overall schedule: Kansas City Chiefs .473 Oakland Raiders .469 Indianapolis Colts .461 San Diego Chargers .457 Denver

I eagerly await the comments from the Broncos fans*, how the AFC East is the worst division in the league and how the Patriots always have such a cupcake schedule compared to theirs.

*Doesn't include Godslay, who is a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom