• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
On WRs and Vikings:

Receivers is a big Question this draft. Austin will be gone by 21. Patterson is explosive but has character concerns. Vikings will have a choice to make do they risk on him or not. Jason Hunter would give immediate production. Allen is likely to drop too. Hopkins and Woods would be second round selections.

effzee

On safeties:

Vaccaro first safety off board. Matt Elam 25-32 range, could slide in to second. Reid interesting prospect could go anywhere from 1-3. Cyprien could go late 1, more likely 2.

Bengals have to watch what Rams do before them.

If Elam and or Cyprien are available in the 2nd and the Eagles aren't going to draft E.J. at that spot then I want one of these two guys. Our safety position, as it is today, is improved from last year but Chung is always hurt and even when healthy he is just adequate. Kenny Philips could be a stead and a stud provided he too is healthy.

Ideally right now I would want Jordan or Star @ 4 then Elam or Cyprien at 34. Then either move back into the 2nd for EJ if they want a QB this draft or pick a QB much later from rounds 3-5.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Guys, Cyprien ran a slow 40, scored low on his wonderlic and smoked weed once. You don't want him! Let him drop to the Steelers in the mid second. kthx

Wes

venison crêpe
(Missed start of question about Lions):

Fisher has more upside than Joeckel. Lions could go Jordon, Ansah or possible Johnson. Mayock thinks Lane Johnson. Need that tackle.

squicken

Something to think about, if the Chiefs don't want a player what does that tell you? Add to that the fact that Andy Reid was an OL coah for all those years. Im just sayin.

That's not totally fair. It's a draft with clear elite skill players or pass rushers, so they can get Albert's equal for 5 years at a fraction of the cost. That's a good deal for them, and I think MIA would be wise to make the trade

Wes

venison crêpe
On long term impact of missing draft picks:

Effect minimized with rookie wage scale, especially in top 10. If your first round pick doesn't pan out as a pro bowl player. There's no middle class. 10 guys paid really well, rest are rookies you need to contribute. So poor drafting could kill you.

Wes

venison crêpe
(Missed Question about best talents from East-West shrine game)

On Lane Johnson and Eagles:

There's an awareness this guy was a QB, coached at TE and DE before going back to LT. Tape from beginning of this year through the year has improved every single day. As tape has gotten better you can see the physical freakish ability. He ran faster than WR Boldin at 300lbs. Putting up same numbers as a skill position player. Only played LT for a year and a half - so how good could he get? His ceiling is unlimited. Could go all pro for 10 years.

Fantomex

That's not totally fair. It's a draft with clear elite skill players or pass rushers, so they can get Albert's equal for 5 years at a fraction of the cost. That's a good deal for them, and I think MIA would be wise to make the trade

I'll give you the breakdown on Albert. He is slow to get off the snap, not strong enough for big rushers like Abraham or Ngata, not fast enough for Rushers like Tuck and Von Miller and not smart enough to read different blitz packages from powerhouses like the Bengals and the Chargers. Other than that he's a really good player. He's worth a 3rd rounder.

Technically he's a "good" pass blocker. But they wanted to move him inside for a reason, because he's average overall. The AFC has too many quick guys on the outside that he can't cover.

Wes

venison crêpe
On Bills:

Geno Smith does not make sense in Buffalo. He's not good in cold weather. Nassib, Manuel and Barkley shouldn't be picked at 8.

Take positional player at 8. Probably a linesman. Warmack or a DE.

Maybe trade back in to first round to get your QB.

cdyhybrid

Seattle Times said:
What are Seahawks general manager John Schneider and his staff going to do during the first round of the NFL draft now that they won’t be making a pick?

“We’re just going to sit there and YouTube Percy Harvin highlights or something,” Schneider said.

I really have no reason to watch other than to see where Tru is going.

Wes

venison crêpe
On Nassib:

Passionate, intelligent and good work ethic. Reminds Mayock of Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins. They both got pushed up the draft by coaches heading in to draft. Same thing happenign with Nassib. Love the intangibles. surrounded with good talent he'll be a capable starter in NFL.

effzee

(Missed Question about best talents from East-West shrine game)

On Lane Johnson and Eagles:

There's an awareness this guy was a QB, coached at TE and DE before going back to LT. Tape from beginning of this year through the year has improved every single day. As tape has gotten better you can see the physical freakish ability. He ran faster than WR Boldin at 300lbs. Putting up same numbers as a skill position player. Only played LT for a year and a half - so how good could he get? His ceiling is unlimited. Could go all pro for 10 years.

And to add more to the speculation, local Philly writers quoted Lane as saying "I like my chances getting picked by the Eagles" when he was asked about that possibility yesterday.

But at 4? Has his stock really risen that much? Just a month or so ago he was middle to late first round.

Wes

venison crêpe
On Seahawks and Draft Depth:

25 to 35 more draftable players this year than last year. More depth in this class than a lot of others. Seattle to take a defensive linesman to compliment what they have. A linebacker Seal Morre (sp?). Competition at RT are all options.

I'll give you the breakdown on Albert. He is slow to get off the snap, not strong enough for big rushers like Abraham or Ngata, not fast enough for Rushers like Tuck and Von Miller and not smart enough to read different blitz packages from powerhouses like the Bengals and the Chargers. Other than that he's a really good player. He's worth a 3rd rounder.

Technically he's a "good" pass blocker. But they wanted to move him inside for a reason, because he's average overall. The AFC has too many quick guys on the outside that he can't cover.
Assuming Martin has progressed well this off-season, maybe they keep him at LT and play Albert at RT?

Taking the OT position from "must have" to just "need" could really free up some flexibility with that 12th pick. The more I read the more I'm convinced that the Dolphins aren't interested in a CB in the first (assuming Milliner is gone) so maybe they could get creative and go with someone like Eifert... That could be cool.

MechDX

HOME: Indianapolis Colts*, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Denver Broncos*, Oakland Raiders, New England Patriots*, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks*

AWAY: Indianapolis Colts*, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Baltimore Ravens*, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers*

Bolded Texans potential primetime games to be announced tonight. At least it isn't shaping up like last season where 4 of 5 primetime games were away. I would rather have none since we play like shit in primetime.

Wes

venison crêpe
On Markus Davis:

Big. Good hands. Medical concerns. 4th round. His teammate Fuller has more upside. Good for a vertical team.

Wes

venison crêpe
On Saints:

Edge rusher. Jarvis Jones. Steelers could get him at 17. Damonte Moore is longer than Jones but has off the field work ethic issues that make teams nervous. They're two wildcards that will be sitting there at 15.

Other position is tackle. How strong do you feel about Brown on current roster. Problem at 15 is therell be a run on tackles above them. Fluker is a starting RT only but he'll likely be gone by 15 too.

Wes

venison crêpe
On Matt Elam and Sharrif Floyd:

Sharrif Floyd is #2 on Mayock's board. (Eric fisher #1.) Prototypical DT in a 4-3 D. Unique ability to disrupt pass game. Stout enough to play run too. Loves the kid.

Elam. Only issue is his height. TE beat him down the seam twice during a game. That's his only downside. He tackles, is tough, cares, has good hips, and will play a lot of years in the league.

Wes

venison crêpe
On David Amerson:

Some teams love him. Some hate him. Mayock watched tapes where he wouldn't pick him in 7th round. Very good size. A real lightning rod. Gets exposed for lack of eye discipline. He could slide.

Good for an off-man team or a off-zone team, then he could be a second round pick.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
How many primetime games do you think your team will get this year?

(Not including the mandatory 1 on Thursday).

Cleveland Browns: 0

Fantomex

Assuming Martin has progressed well this off-season, maybe they keep him at LT and play Albert at RT?

Taking the OT position from "must have" to just "need" could really free up some flexibility with that 12th pick. The more I read the more I'm convinced that the Dolphins aren't interested in a CB in the first (assuming Milliner is gone) so maybe they could get creative and go with someone like Eifert... That could be cool.

I'm saying swap first rounders this year, trade a second, swap thirds with someone and take Lane Johnson at 7-9 maybe. If not, trade down 5 spots and take a CB or draft Eifert.

ChanHuk

Banned
Well just bought another PSP.

What are some games other than Fire Emblem to buy for 3DS?

Also Brandon Albert is serviceable but he's no elite LT. He'd be a decent RT since he's pretty good at run blocking in the 2nd round you can find someone just as average as him.

Wes

venison crêpe
On Titans:

#1 need an edge rasher. Mingo. Ansah. Jordan likely gone.

Could use another guard. Warmack or Cooper.

Or an upgrade at corner. Mayock ranks DJ Hayden as his #1 corner.

squicken

On Titans:

That's nuts

btw Wes thanks for doing the transcripts. Really cool of you

Wes

venison crêpe
On Jamar Taylor:

Mid second round pick. Starting corner in NFL.

On Dolphins:

Miami need a LT. A Priority. If they sign Albert that's fine. Can sit there outside of the tackle situation and target a corner early. After that sign BPAs.

Fantomex

On Titans:

lol what
tumblr_lbtwa2U8xG1qdunk8o1_500.gif

Colasante

On Titans:

DJ Hayden is the shit. Also Greg Cosell's top ranked cornerback.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I want the Browns to get a real primetime game. It's my one chance a year to be obnoxious enough that my friends watch the game to laugh and then come away saying "okay fine the Browns aren't that bad"

Note: They still laugh.

Draxal

I want the Browns to get a real primetime game. It's my one chance a year to be obnoxious enough that my friends watch the game to laugh and then come away saying "okay fine the Browns aren't that bad"

Note: They still laugh.

I miss it when the Giants were always the 1:00 game, so many primetime games/Monday games gets annoying after a while.

Wes

venison crêpe
On Colts:

Without a second round pick GMs tempted to trade down. If they hold pat they could do with an edge rusher. Werner perhaps. Similiar player to Kruger.

They need to figure out interior OL too. Warmack and Cooper will be gone. Kyle Long will be around there.

There's some logical names at that point. They could even look at a corner.

How many primetime games do you think your team will get this year?

(Not including the mandatory 1 on Thursday).

Cleveland Browns: 0

Ruben Frank said on the morning show today that 5 is the max a team can get and he expects the Eagles to get at least 4 if not 5. He said there is a lot of buzz around the NFL about Chip, and people will tune into to see how he does.

Wes

venison crêpe
On DJ Hayden:

#14 on Mayock's board. As horrific as the medical thing was. It was a once in a gazillion situation and has no more chance of being replicated as it did in first place. Will he be same player after such a collision? Most assume he'll be player who he was.

He ran a 4.38. His big questions were speed and medical and they've both been answered. Not sure who'll take him. It'll start at Titans at 10 but likely off the board by 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom