• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

I really enjoyed this debate. I really want to chose a defensive guy, but none stand out. Fisher is safe, and I think the earlier you pick, the more you stay true to BPA

I say go defense. Why go out of your way to protect Gabbert? He's horseshit anyway. Solid defense will help keep them in games and is harder to build than an oline.

squicken

We can go with Fisher, that seems to be the consensus pick, but Dion Jordan is my pick. I feel like Bradley would want to go with a defensive player, but with a rookie GM, it's possible they'll want to play it safe and draft a franchise tackle.

Like FV said, debate is what this is all about. We've had a good one on this pick and can now see where we all stand and make the pick. Now when Jordan is the pick, or turns out great, you can lord it over the rest of us ;)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think the Jags just need to trade down if possible. Need to save up those picks for the new Los Angeles Jaguars.

I'm 99% serious too, the Jaguars have so many holes and are going to have the misfortune of competing against Luck the next decade and a half.

MechDX

I think the Jags just need to trade down if possible. Need to save up those picks for the new Los Angeles Jaguars.

I'm 99% serious too, the Jaguars have so many holes and are going to have the misfortune of competing against Luck the next decade and a half.

I was going to me some snarky remark but then I remembered the Texans are in the same division so the Jags will still face Luck every season. Andrew Coming Home Tour 2016!
colts-texans013.jpg
"Keep my seat warm bitch!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ImCpNqbJw

squicken

No trades. And we are really split on this. Need a few more folks to chime in. The choice is Jordan or Fisher

squicken

I think it's 9 votes for Eric Fisher so far, and 3 votes for Dion Jordan.

I feel like the passion has been on the side of Jordan. The Fisher votes are mostly shoulder shrugs. If no one else chimes in we'll go Fisher. I'll give it 5 minutes are so. But generally we're going to try and keep it moving

squicken

Really good debate on this one, bros. Really don't feel like we got a consensus, so we'll have to settle for a majority. Think it really just comes down to the Jordan side arguing more for "defense" than for Jordan specifically

1) Chiefs--Luke Joeckel
2)Jags-- Eric Fisher
3)Raiders--On the clock

Colasante

For the Raiders... Star Lotulelei. Possibly the best player in the draft, his heart condition has checked out, can be a bedrock defensive tackle for a team that sorely needs blue chip players. Also, Dennis Allen is another defensive-minded coach and Reggie McKenzie comes from the Packers, which I believe had a best player available philosophy.

So, the general consensus seems to be that the Raiders are drafting a defensive player. Floyd seems to be the populair pick, but I don't really like him. Think Star would be awesome for them.

squicken

For the Raiders... Star Lotulelei. Possibly the best player in the draft, his heart condition has checked out, can be a bedrock defensive tackle for a team that sorely needs blue chip players. Also, Dennis Allen is another defensive-minded coach and Reggie McKenzie comes from the Packers, which I believe had a best player available philosophy.

Of all the defense guys I like Star as well. They've lost two guys off the line, so it's a need as well.

Godslay

Banned

I like this. I was going to do a joke post with the faster player, "For Al", but that would be Tavon. I don't want to have to deal with him twice a year.

ChanHuk

Banned
Raiders; Star over Floyd. Reggie has shown that he wants good players not flashy ones that can be the foundation of a team. Floyd is definitely flashy but I'll still bring up he had little production in college he's pretty versatile though and only 20. All I have to bring up is Haloti Ngata, who wouldn't want a Ngata type player on their team? Otherwise, they're going to trade this pick away to someone needing Lane Johnson. Or who knows, maybe they'll get trick the Vikings into trading both their 1sts this year, their 2nd, 4th, and a 2nd next year for the 3rd overall. Things can happen.

Colasante

For what it's worth, Daniel Jeremiah just tweeted this: "I've had Dion Jordan going to JAX for a long time. However, I've talked to several GM's/Personnel Directors that expect JAX to take an OT". Looks like the Fisher fans might have been right on the money.

I have to go Star also, I have a feeling our shirtless mock drafts are gonna look pretty similar until mine gets to the Browns pick that is.
Edit: actually I lied just looked at my mock and I went with Floyd so I'm sticking to my guns and going with him

It's not really a out Gabbert. They aren't drafting a tackle in a vacuum for one player. You know that.

They don't need a franchise left tackle now. The Jags are years away from being contenders. Get a utility player from the second round and down and build the D.

Look at Jake Long. Wasted his good years protecting bums and washouts. When a QB of note came around dude was sent packing.

Wes

venison crêpe
Floyd for Raiders. Whilst Star started off as the higher level pick his medical scare at the combine has unfairly dropped him down the board a bit.

Look at Jake Long. Wasted his good years protecting bums and washouts. When a QB of note came around dude was sent packing.
Lots of good defense did the Dolphins.;)
Regardless, we're going in circles when the mock has already moved on.

I believe Raiders fans picked Star in the previous mock and I don't see a need to go against that.

Lots of good defense did the Dolphins.;)
Regardless, we're going in circles when the mock has already moved on.

Discussion is discussion dammit!

It's a philosophy difference, to be sure. I just don't see the point in using high picks to protect losers. Draft is seven rounds. Build your identity on defense and try to build a solid line with role players until you find your jewel at qb. O-lines aren't built solely in the first round anyway.

squicken

It's a philosophy difference, to be sure. I just don't see the point in using high picks to protect losers. Draft is seven rounds. Build your identity on defense and try to build a solid line with role players until you find your jewel at qb. O-lines aren't built solely in the first round anyway.

I'm almost certain JAX, CLE, and BUF take QBs. If I were JAX GM, I'd take the tackle. So he's got a good OL, MJD, and Shorts and Blackmon. That's a good way to nurture a young QB.

It's a philosophy difference, to be sure. I just don't see the point in using high picks to protect losers.
I see it as an ivnvestment in a future non-loser. The damage done to Bradford in St. Louis should be a lesson in throwing a potential young QB behind a non-existent line. It's obvious they'll move on from Gabbert sooner rather than later. Lay the groundwork where games are won - in the trenches. I don't feel that Jordan is the defensive equivalent of Fisher from a value perspective which is why I'm not high on him at #2.

I'm almost certain JAX, CLE, and BUF take QBs. If I were JAX GM, I'd take the tackle. So he's got a good OL, MJD, and Shorts and Blackmon. That's a good way to nurture a young QB.

Isn't that putting the cart before the horse though? Tackle in the first, QB second? i really don't see Geno, Landry and co. Slipping into the second round. If the Jags have their eyes set on a qb they're taking him the first chance they get.

I see it as an ivnvestment in a future non-loser. The damage done to Bradford in St. Louis should be a lesson in throwing a potential young QB behind a non-existent line. It's obvious they'll move on from Gabbert sooner rather than later. Lay the groundwork where games are won - in the trenches. I don't feel that Jordan is the defensive equivalent of Fisher from a value perspective which is why I'm not high on him at #2.
I'm not really making a case for Jordan so much as I am a defensive player high. A stud left tackle is a luxury you should take when your team building is almost complete, not when you have every possible need like the Jags do.

As for the tackle, I see your point, I just don't think it's a great idea because you could potentially waste the tackle's rookie years, or career. I think the Jags should admit they're shit, let teams chase Gabbert out of the league as they build around him, then draft their crown pieces when the rest of the team has fallen into place.

Isn't that putting the cart before the horse though? Tackle in the first, QB second? i really don't see Geno, Landry and co. Slipping into the second round. If the Jags have their eyes set on a qb they're taking him the first chance they get.
This is about what they should do though. What they will do? Geno is a possibility for the Kags at 2, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom