• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Revis Island

revis_zps46943a7bcmsn7.png

Floyd. Every Raider fan I talked to while in Oakland seem convinced he's the pick.

What would you do, Larry, if you were making the pick?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why does everyone think the Raiders do something ordinary here? It's the Raiders.

They surprise and take Dee Milliner.

Godslay

Banned
Why does everyone think the Raiders do something ordinary here? It's the Raiders.

They surprise and take Dee Milliner.

Al is gone. Seems like they have become more level headed in their decision making. They are going to go with the safe pick on defense, since it is so depleted. They have all that dead money, so they are going to make sure that they get a return on whatever they invest in going forward. Hence the safe pick in my mind.

Colasante

Dion Jordan for the Eagles. Would take Eric Fisher if he was available. They need some more playmakers that fit their 3-4 defense since Cole and Curry aren't perfect fits, Chip Kelly coached him at Oregon, and their starting CBs are decent enough to wait until later to add to it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm in the minority but I honestly think looking back at their college careers and who they played that Jarvis Jones is the better pick between Dion Jordan and Jones.

Eagles are going 3-4 right?

edit: You'd also have to wonder if Chip Kelly would be excited to take one of his own college players. Dion Jordan is about as known of a quantity as Chip Kelly can find but I think if Chip Kelly passes on him in the draft, that's damning evidence against Dion Jordan.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If Dion Jordan is available, the Eagles will take him and complete the worst-case scenario for Detroit.

I think that even though he's medically cleared, teams are still scared of Jarvis Jones and his spinal stenosis injury and he drops on draft day.

cdyhybrid

If Dion Jordan is available, the Eagles will take him and complete the worst-case scenario for Detroit.

I think that even though he's medically cleared, teams are still scared of Jarvis Jones and his spinal stenosis injury and he drops on draft day.

Lions being in the worst-case scenario means this is exactly what will happen.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The Eagles should take Manuel. He's got the tools to run Kelly's system and they have the luxury of not having to start him immediately.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Eagles should take Manuel. He's got the tools to run Kelly's system and they have the luxury of not having to start him immediately.

I think if we're talking about what teams *should* do, I can't imagine a single quarterback taken before the third round.....maybe maybe the middle of the second.

squicken

In the "what I would do" realm, it's take Jordan and then either move up later or take the QB in round 2. Despite what he says, I do think Chip wants a guy who can run a little, and Geno isn't a runner and somehow has worse ball security than Vick

Godslay

Banned
In the "what I would do" realm, it's take Jordan and then either move up later or take the QB in round 2. Despite what he says, I do think Chip wants a guy who can run a little, and Geno isn't a runner and somehow has worse ball security than Vick

Which was also Gruden's biggest criticism on Manuel iirc.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think if we're talking about what teams *should* do, I can't imagine a single quarterback taken before the third round.....maybe maybe the middle of the second.

If he's the guy, then he's the guy. The Eagles have a very real need at the position. I think Manuel fits that need. He's also not going to be around when the Eagles pick again. That's why I put it out there.

I can sit here and tell everyone that these qb's aren't worth high picks, but Manuel is a better talent than Gabbert, Ponder, Locker etc. Teams are going to reach for quarterbacks, it's just a fact.

Colasante

According to his agent, Revis has officially agreed to terms with the Bucs. So glad he's out of the AFC East.

I can see the Eagles taking another quarterback, but they'd be nuts to take one at 4. Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, Matt Scott... they can wait and strike when they feel the value is right. There's no saying the QB they draft can even beat out Vick, Foles, or Dixon for the job.

squicken

Which was also Gruden's biggest criticism on Manuel iirc.

Manuel throws INTs. With Geno, he holds the ball too long and seems to not feel the hit coming, and when it does, he can't hold on to the ball. He is down my list of QBs, really b/c he's the guy I've seen the most. Neither guy make sense this high

chuck: You are making the pick. We would never have drafted Ponder or Locker as high as they went.

Rorschach

I hope the rookie cap makes it so that there are more trades into the top 10, but then again is there enough incentive in terms of talent this year for someone to do so? Raiders don't even have a second rounder.

squicken

I hope the rookie cap makes it so that there are more trades into the top 10, but then again is there enough incentive in terms of talent this year for someone to do so? Raiders don't even have a second rounder.

I think it's all about the teams in the top 10 being willing to take less. Best case for OAK is if Fisher is still there. Who do you want, if you have to make the pick?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Manuel throws INTs. With Geno, he holds the ball too long and seems to not feel the hit coming, and when it does, he can't hold on to the ball. He is down my list of QBs, really b/c he's the guy I've seen the most. Neither guy make sense this high

chuck: You are making the pick. We would never have drafted Ponder or Locker as high as they went.
But we also aren't making trades. That's what really makes this exercise futile. I think Manuel is the perfect guy for Kelly, that's all. I also think they'll try and get him or another qb in the first, especially if you're going to put him on the bench for a year or more, because of the extra year on the contract.

squicken

Wow. Mark Dominik is a magician.

That's a good deal. Revis gets paid if he's helathy and productive, Bucs didn't give up a lot. Considering. Jets had no leverage so hard to say how they did

chuck: Trades are just too complicated. Not every team will be trying to trade their pick, but it is a little murky here in the top 10. Just for fun

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
No guaranteed money basically means a one year deal right? That's how NFL funny money works?

Well it gives the team total control, that's for sure. But because they just sent a first rounder + to the Jets, there's basically no way Revis is cut unless he can't play football anymore.

J-E-T-S! SUCK! SUCK! SUCK!

I think that the Jets got all they possibly could have gotten out of it. I'm just glad Revis is out of the division, we'll still play him next year though, but oh well.

JABEE

That's a good trade for the Jets as a rebuilding team maybe. They might have gotten more if Revis wasn't injured and their contract dispute wasn't public.

BigAT

They ripped up his old deal and put the new one in place, meaning he now makes $16M for the upcoming season. 6 years, $96M in total evenly distributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom